Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, Allan said:

AFAIK is not mandatory.

There's some differences between HFSPlus and VBox: https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/What-is-what#efi-drivers

Yes it is mandatory before the change commit 4502

if HFSPlus is present the package remove VBoxHfs-64.efi 

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, yesterday I've built Clover 4508 from source, just for fun, and everything was ok on my Haswell rig, even with no FixHDA and stuff. Today I upgraded to 4509 (latest official release) and also no more sound issues.

@Slice many, many thanks. :)

I'm also curious as to why are there so many Drivers now with the newer Clover builds.... I'm still using only one of those, cause that's pretty much all I need to get my computer going, but I was curious why are there so many now?

Also, many of them are similar, just different versions. For example OsXAptioFixDrv/OsXAptioFix2Drv/OsXAptioFix3Drv... Do we need all of those? I mean, it's good to have options when you need them. But...question is, DO we need them? And do we need them ALL? Does anyone still need OsXAptioFixDrv instead of OsXAptioFix3Drv for example? And when i say need, I really mean NEED, as in the sense that it doesn't work otherwise?

Cause, if not....I would suggest only keeping the latest version (or best version). And when I say "best", I mean the one with the broader spectrum of compatibility. If they are backwards compatible, then, in theory, all you need is the last one, right?

I don't know... To me, and you probably already know this, cause I said it before, options are good. But too many options are not. Cause they tend to create confusion.

Also, one thing I would recommend, in case it's possible... Let's group those drivers based on their use.

For example:

Drivers64UEFI

Mouse and keyboard (expand/collapse, just like the Drivers64UEFI section itself)

UsbMouseDxe

UsbKbDxe

NVRAM emulators

EmuVariableUefi (not needed if you have hardware NVRAM or OsXAptioFix3Drv in place). Hope I'm not wrong...

Anyway, you got the point.

Maybe this will also bring some clarity on what each driver is doing. Especially since some of them seem to be missing their description.

Also, I guess we could group them into Mandatory and Non-Mandatory. But then again, what's "mandatory" for my system might not be mandatory for yours, due to hardware differences. So... I don't think that's gonna be very accurate.

Edited by arsradu

Now that some drivers have become optional have they been removed from the system?, i've been experiencing slower boot times recently would any of these drivers contribute to that? if so which one? clover 4510 laptop specs below.

40 minutes ago, SavageAUS said:

Now that some drivers have become optional have they been removed from the system?, i've been experiencing slower boot times recently would any of these drivers contribute to that? if so which one? clover 4510 laptop specs below.

Hmm... no such issues on my side. But also, I've got a different system here.

On a first glance, I'd say they shouldn't be removed.... I think they just became accessible in the UI. I mean, I had OSXAptioFix3Drv enabled from previous builds. And it's still checked for upgrade/installation in the installer UI. If there was something else I had installed, I would think it should have also been marked as checked for upgrade... Personally I'm not sure this is a driver issue.

But...I guess we can test this theory by simply reinstalling an older build and comparing the results between the old and the new one...? See which drivers you have with the old one and which ones you have with the new one. Compare the lists, see which one is added/removed and where. It's just an idea, of course.

Edited by arsradu
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, arsradu said:

On a first glance, I'd say they shouldn't be removed.... I think they just became accessible in the UI. I mean, I had OSXAptioFix3Drv enabled from previous builds. And it's still checked for upgrade/installation in the installer UI. If there was something else I had installed, I would think it should have also been marked as checked for upgrade... Personally I'm not sure this is a driver issue.

But...I guess we can test this theory by simply reinstalling an older build and comparing the results between the old and the new one...? See which drivers you have with the old one and which ones you have with the new one. Compare the lists, see which one is added/removed and where. It's just an idea, of course.

Do you happen to know the clover version number when it changed?

Just now, SavageAUS said:

I think it was 4497

So anything older than that (I'm talking official builds, not third party builds) should be fine for this test.

8 hours ago, arsradu said:

I'm also curious as to why are there so many Drivers now with the newer Clover builds.... I'm still using only one of those, cause that's pretty much all I need to get my computer going, but I was curious why are there so many now?

Also, many of them are similar, just different versions. For example OsXAptioFixDrv/OsXAptioFix2Drv/OsXAptioFix3Drv... Do we need all of those? I mean, it's good to have options when you need them. But...question is, DO we need them? And do we need them ALL? Does anyone still need OsXAptioFixDrv instead of OsXAptioFix3Drv for example? And when i say need, I really mean NEED, as in the sense that it doesn't work otherwise?

Cause, if not....I would suggest only keeping the latest version (or best version). And when I say "best", I mean the one with the broader spectrum of compatibility. If they are backwards compatible, then, in theory, all you need is the last one, right?

Because they work differently. AptioFix3/AptioMemoryFix is the best as it preserves (for the most part) all runtime but has broken hibernation/wake, AptioFix2 only works for some people and provides native NVRAM usually, AptioFix1 is the original and is basically the only one that will almost always work - however, it will most likely break NVRAM and you will need EmuVar.

8 hours ago, arsradu said:

I don't know... To me, and you probably already know this, cause I said it before, options are good. But too many options are not. Cause they tend to create confusion.

Also, one thing I would recommend, in case it's possible... Let's group those drivers based on their use.

For example:

Drivers64UEFI

Mouse and keyboard (expand/collapse, just like the Drivers64UEFI section itself)

UsbMouseDxe

UsbKbDxe

NVRAM emulators

EmuVariableUefi (not needed if you have hardware NVRAM or OsXAptioFix3Drv in place). Hope I'm not wrong...

Anyway, you got the point.

Maybe this will also bring some clarity on what each driver is doing. Especially since some of them seem to be missing their description.

Also, I guess we could group them into Mandatory and Non-Mandatory. But then again, what's "mandatory" for my system might not be mandatory for yours, due to hardware differences. So... I don't think that's gonna be very accurate.

Yeah, there's no way to do mandatory and non-mandatory because each system has different requirements for what needs fixed/implemented. The grouping and better descriptions is probably a good idea but the package itself is a terrible mess. There aren't many who can understand it and change it to be better, it's a lot of work. I'm pretty sure that the package is just a modified version of the package from chameleon, and that's as old as hackintoshing.

EDIT: Spelling.

5 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Which drivers did you have before? Just put them back and see....?

5 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

It was 4502: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/4502/

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

When you install, a ticket is created for each item installed. If you start the installer again, the ticket will be found and the box will be auto ticked to upgrade. This prevents mismatched versions, also anything unchecked will be removed if it was checked before.

4 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

r4502. You can look at the history of commits on sf.net: https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/code/HEAD/log/?path=

4 hours ago, arsradu said:

I think it was 4497

So anything older than that (I'm talking official builds, not third party builds) should be fine for this test.

r4497 should be the last official release that doesn't have this mandatory/non-mandatory change. However, looking at 4497, there were a ton of changes to injection, so maybe you need to adjust some of your settings to deal with that.

Edited by apianti
  • Thanks 1

ok I'll be very clear it is impossible to boot macOS in UEFI on any base PC or laptop without
VBoxHfs-64.efi or HFSPlus.efi correct me if I'm wrong

This is a Installer LOG Clover UEFI Only

Clover EFI installer log - Tue May 29 09:42:17 EDT 2018
Installer version: v2.4k r4508 EFI bootloader
======================================================
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *256.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk3         255.9 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *120.0 GB   disk1
   1:           Windows Recovery                         471.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:                        EFI EFI                     104.9 MB   disk1s2
   3:         Microsoft Reserved                         16.8 MB    disk1s3
   4:       Microsoft Basic Data Windows-10              118.5 GB   disk1s4
   5:           Windows Recovery                         980.4 MB   disk1s5

/dev/disk2 (external):
   0:     FDisk_partition_scheme                         32.0 GB    disk2
   1:                 DOS_FAT_32 SD-CARD                 32.0 GB    disk2s1

/dev/disk3 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +255.9 GB   disk3
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume macOS-High-Sierra-HD    53.9 GB    disk3s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 19.8 MB    disk3s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                517.8 MB   disk3s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      1.1 GB     disk3s4

Target volume /Volumes/macOS-High-Sierra-HD on disk3 is APFS on physical store disk0s2
Backing up EFI files

Backing up /Volumes/macOS-High-Sierra-HD/EFIROOTDIR/EFI folder to /Volumes/macOS-High-Sierra-HD/EFI-Backups/r4506/2018-05-29-09h42/EFI
Installing BootSectors/BootLoader

Stage 0 - Don't write any of boot0af, boot0md, boot0ss to /
Stage 1 - Don't write any of boot1h2, boot1f32alt, boot1xalt to /

Removing drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi driver because HFSPlus driver present

=========== Clover EFI Installation Finish ===========

Edited by chris1111

27 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Removing drivers64UEFI/VBoxHfs-64.efi driver because HFSPlus driver present

I think that answers your question right there. It detected you have HFSPlus.efi and didn't install VBoxHfs. Do you actually have HFSPlus.efi? If so, there is no issue. If not, then that code needs fixed as it's detecting HFSPlus.efi when it's not there....?

3 minutes ago, apianti said:

I think that answers your question right there. It detected you have HFSPlus.efi and didn't install VBoxHfs. Do you actually have HFSPlus.efi? If so, there is no issue. If not, then that code needs fixed as it's detecting HFSPlus.efi when it's not there....?

Yes I have HFSPlus.efi

My post is ABOUT Mandatory Drivers 

One of this two Drivers is Mandatory for UEFI Only on any base PC or Laptop

Right

VBoxHfs-64.efi or HFSPlus.efi 

Edited by chris1111

2 hours ago, SavageAUS said:

Maybe if anyone wants to take a look and see if anything is wrong, ive provided files.

Oh, you need to fix you injections. They are no longer injected by default so you need to figure out which ones you need and enable them. I would take you zip down too or at least sanitize it of your unique identifiers.

2 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Yes I have HFSPlus.efi

My post is ABOUT Mandatory Drivers 

One of this two Drivers is Mandatory

Right

VBoxHfs-64.efi or HFSPlus.efi 

Yes, either is mandatory. You are getting confused. You can only have one of them though. If you already have HFSPlus.efi then it won't install VBoxHfs anymore, if you don't then it will install VBoxHfs. Make more sense?

Edited by apianti

3 minutes ago, apianti said:

Yes, either is mandatory. You are getting confused. You can only have one of them though. If you already have HFSPlus.efi then it won't install VBoxHfs anymore, if you don't then it will install VBoxHfs. Make more sense?

I am not confused, I know that for long time so Why in the new change  VBoxHfs-64.efi is not mandatory?

Edited by chris1111

Just now, chris1111 said:

I am not confused, I know that for long time so Why in the new change  VBoxHfs-64.efi is not mandatory?

No, it is mandatory, if you don't have HFSPlus.efi then it will install VBoxHfs. It's a preferential thing, HFSPlus is better, more optimized and more features, so that will be chosen over VBoxHfs. Move HFSPlus.efi somewhere else and install, I bet you will get VBoxHfs. Also you never want these two drivers together, they are conflicting and whichever happens to load last will be the file system driver. Or depending on your hardware it may have no idea what to do and allow both drivers to create file system interfaces, which would be bad.

30 minutes ago, apianti said:

No, it is mandatory, if you don't have HFSPlus.efi then it will install VBoxHfs. It's a preferential thing, HFSPlus is better, more optimized and more features, so that will be chosen over VBoxHfs. Move HFSPlus.efi somewhere else and install, I bet you will get VBoxHfs. Also you never want these two drivers together, they are conflicting and whichever happens to load last will be the file system driver. Or depending on your hardware it may have no idea what to do and allow both drivers to create file system interfaces, which would be bad.

I told You after commit 4502 See commits 

If you compile and create Package

This Drivers is selectable now so is not mandatory

EDIT ****

I have created my package based on being mandatory as it should be but it is not the case if you compile Clover at the last revision and create your package
this is not good for those who do not know, because they have to select the Drivers in the list but in fact it would not even have to appear as on the Official SF 4497 package

EDIT 2***

this is the latest Official SF Package

This Drivers is not mandatory :D because mandatory Drivers should be not visible

Capture.png.ef200606ce9fc93abb6dc8dc26e100e0.png

Edited by chris1111

31 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

I told You after commit 4502 See commits 

If you compile and create Package

This Drivers is selectable now so is not mandatory

EDIT ****

I have created my package based on being mandatory as it should be but it is not the case if you compile Clover at the last revision and create your package
this is not good for those who do not know, because they have to select the Drivers in the list but in fact it would not even have to appear as on the Official SF 4497 package

EDIT 2***

this is the latest Official SF Package

This Drivers is not mandatory :D

Did you try removing both drivers and unchecking the box then installing? Is there no hfs driver then? Because yes it should be mandatory unless HFSPlus exists, but maybe it will install HFSPlus if you don't check VBoxHfs. I have no idea. If that's the case that's for @Slice to explain, as I imagine he made the change..? Also, Chris, if you want I can add you as a developer if you want to fix the package, I know Philip is already there but there are some open tickets. You seem to find more bugs in it than anyone, and it really needs cleaned up. I'll just move you from member to developer, please just don't destroy everything, lol.

EDIT: Done, you are developer, fix the package, lol.

Edited by apianti

8 minutes ago, apianti said:

Did you try removing both drivers and unchecking the box then installing? Is there no hfs driver then? Because yes it should be mandatory unless HFSPlus exists, but maybe it will install HFSPlus if you don't check VBoxHfs. I have no idea. If that's the case that's for @Slice to explain, as I imagine he made the change..? Also, Chris, if you want I can add you as a developer if you want to fix the package, I know Philip is already there but there are some open tickets. You seem to find more bugs in it than anyone, and it really needs cleaned up. I'll just move you from member to developer, please just don't destroy everything, lol.

EDIT: Done, you are developer, fix the package, lol.

OK thanks but I going to work now, my  new job 1 PM at 9 PM 

I will see tomorrow

and Yes if you uncheck Drivers is not install if don't have it (Exemple Fresh install)

it was put in DriversOFF, thats why is appear in the list

and should be in src / UDK2018 / Clover / CloverPackage / CloverV2 / EFI / CLOVER / Drivers64UEFI

This is my point of view

Edited by chris1111

3 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

OK thanks but I going to work now, my  new job 1 PM at 9 PM 

I will see tomorrow

and Yes if you uncheck Drivers is not install if don't have it (Exemple Fresh install)

it was put in DriversOFF and should be in src / UDK2018 / Clover / CloverPackage / CloverV2 / EFI / CLOVER / Drivers64UEFI

This is my point of view

I think you are correct, it should be mandatory but only install if HFSPlus is not present. Take your time, do it when you can, you already know more than me. I treat the package like a leper, haha.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, apianti said:

I think you are correct, it should be mandatory but only install if HFSPlus is not present. Take your time, do it when you can, you already know more than me. I treat the package like a leper, haha.

it's the changes 4502 that made it, you're not responsible

have a nice day

I think the confusion here comes from the word "mandatory" itself. :)

If I got this right, I think the actual question was: is one of them selected by default in the UI, if it wasn't there before? And I think the answer here is: no, it is not. Which, could be indeed problematic for new users.

We're talking about that ticket that apianti was talking about on the previous page.

Re-quoting for your convenience:

When you install, a ticket is created for each item installed. If you start the installer again, the ticket will be found and the box will be auto ticked to upgrade. This prevents mismatched versions, also anything unchecked will be removed if it was checked before.

So, basically, if it's not a new Clover installation, if you had Clover installed before on that drive, and if you hadn't had that driver checked before (or if you were using HFSPlus.efi instead), it's not gonna be checked now (1. if you're still using HFSPlus, there's no need for VBoxHfs, 2. if you're already using VBoxHFs, it should be already checked, unless you want it removed now, in which case, you can uncheck it upon installation, and it will be removed). If you did have it before, it's gonna be kept like that (checked) when upgrading Clover.

Now, the possible problem comes for the new users who don't know what VBoxHfs/HFSPlus are, and whether or not they need any of them for their hackintosh to boot.

So, I think the question here is: for this particular case, if it's a new installation, if there's no HFSPlus already in place, will VBoxHfs be checked (and installed) by default so the user can boot?

Edited by arsradu