Clover General discussion

ErmaC
29,866 posts in this topic

The BooterConfig entry explained here:             #7            

/* Bitfields for boot_args->flags */
#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic    (1 << 0)
#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI            (1 << 1)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlack            (1 << 2)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig	(1 << 3)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig	(1 << 4)
#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot          (1 << 5)
#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg          (1 << 6)
#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI          (1 << 7)

..is what you need (bit fields with black options)

Thanks for the reply I'm confused by (1 << 6).  I believe I need something like this below but what flag for black I don't know how to convert to number value. 

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

Clover is an extended Boot Manager to provide an OS X-compatible environment, it doesn't keep anything EFI "in order".

Aye.

There is no 'Extra' folder for Clover, use EFI/Clover. Putting a kext into Clover's folder doesn't require Terminal or extra software.

I have no idea what that means, but if you are asking that using the Clover installer is 'more manual' than using the Configurator, there practically isn't any difference. The only thing the Configurator provides is a fancy GUI rather than the bare plist content.

Thanks for replying. As far as the difference between them yes your explanation is what I was thinking.

The Extra folder is throwing me off a little I will need to check what I have set up.

2 more questions.

1.) Does clover configurator use the clover folder? So if I manually access the EFI/Clover folder on my hack then I am in the folder that clover installer made?

2.) If I just add .kext files to the kext folder inside the EFI/Clover folders that have the operating numbers on them then they are injected?

2a Is there a way to see what kexts are loaded? The reason I ask is I think I have some that I need to remove because of the configurator and some old youtube videos.

Thanks for the reply I'm confused by (1 << 6).  I believe I need something like this below but what flag for black I don't know how to convert to number value. 

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

The example show 0x28 for Yosemite and El Capitan... why not use that?

Guys, any idea how to fix a non-bootable system due to dual-monitors? It boots fine with a single monitor, but it goes into some sort of boot loop (monitor goes to sleep) when loading second stage boot.

Is there a way to fix this via device-properties? Or something from Clover?

1<<6 is "1 shift left 6". This is C code.

Given binary representation, "1 shift left 6" is the same as 0x40 (64 decimal).

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

and again I need some help. As I had written some topics in the past few weeks about my x58 update from 10.9.5 chameleon to 10.10.5 clover I was stucked at many different steps. But in the end, I'am up and running with my clover 3220 EFI only installation on my Samsung SSD connected to my ICH10 SATA2 port, dsdt fixes for Audio, Trim (which does not work), USB3.0 from my pci-e Asus U3S6 extention card, some HW Monitoring working, GTX970 fixes etc.

But now, I'm stucked again regarding booting my Yosemite Installation using clover but not connecting the SSD to the ICH10 SATA2 port instead using the SATA3 Port on the U3S6 pci-e card. In my newest Asus P6T-SE Bios, every SSD attached to the pcie extention card is shown up (IDE Card which is AHCI redirected due to some bios post messages of the Asus pcie card and the customer support). When I use a second SSD with a mirrored Yosemite installation, clover in efi only installation, boot0af information, my config, kext, dsdt etc. this puppy boots from the ICH10 (sure it should), but not from the pcie extention card. first boot stage does work, but then it fails to boot into second stage where I can choose my different ssd os x yosemite and windows installations. instead, it boots into my main Yosemite Samsung SSD clover installation where I can boot into Yosemite Main installation, but the mirrored Yosemite SSD attached to the pcie extention card is not recognized.

A member, Chris, posted to my questions in another topic, that he uses another expansion card on another motherboard without any problems (for booting up using clover): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/?p=2206454

Can Anyone give me any advice? Due to some other topics in the internet, the Asus U3S6 should be accepting every possible boot. I haven't tried any Windows installation at the moment as a reference point. 

Guys, any idea how to fix a non-bootable system due to dual-monitors? It boots fine with a single monitor, but it goes into some sort of boot loop (monitor goes to sleep) when loading second stage boot.

Is there a way to fix this via device-properties? Or something from Clover?

This seems to be a common thing with the newer nvidia cards.  I have the same problem with my 960.  Changing your system definition to imac14,2 is supposed to fix it.  For me that's not an option because my system is too old.

This seems to be a common thing with the newer nvidia cards.  I have the same problem with my 960.  Changing your system definition to imac14,2 is supposed to fix it.  For me that's not an option because my system is too old.

Actually this is not for the system in my signature. It's for a GT 630 combined with a i3 3220 @ 3.3 GHz CPU and Gigabyte Z77-DS3H motherboard. But I guess that doesn't help much, does it? :(

I feel like this could be pretty easily solved with a device-properties edit. But I just don't know what to edit.

I'm not able to boot Recovery HD (the PC reboot itself) with my custom config.plist on a Z77E-ITX. I've made some trial with a pendrive and figure out that I can do it avoiding "Custom Entries" (used to hide three recovery partition) and all the kext to patch booting from USB. Not a big deal, but now I want to do same from the HDD and I don't understand how to boot with this alternative config (named config1.plist) from Clover GUI. I've tried to change in option config with config1, but it does'n work. What I'm doing wrong?

<key>RtVariables</key>

<dict>

<key>BooterConfig</key>

<string>??</string>

</dict>

You can try to enable bit 2 = 4 or bit 6 = 0x40 (64) BlackBG background ??, please correct me if i am wrong

I have tried to enable the HiDPI bit but no changes 

kBootArgsFlagBlack is the bitfield to set to have the black background + white progress bar (kBootArgsFlagHiDPI to have a bigger one, as well for the logo)

that is what you can find in the xnu kernel in El Capitan:

#define kBootArgsFlagRebootOnPanic (1 << 0)

#define kBootArgsFlagHiDPI (1 << 1)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlack (1 << 2)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRActiveConfig (1 << 3)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode (1 << 4)

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRBoot (1 << 5)

#define kBootArgsFlagBlackBg (1 << 6)

#define kBootArgsFlagLoginUI (1 << 7)

#define kBootArgsFlagInstallUI (1 << 8)

...here in Yosemite:

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig (1 << 4)

Hi Guys,

and again I need some help. As I had written some topics in the past few weeks about my x58 update from 10.9.5 chameleon to 10.10.5 clover I was stucked at many different steps. But in the end, I'am up and running with my clover 3220 EFI only installation on my Samsung SSD connected to my ICH10 SATA2 port, dsdt fixes for Audio, Trim (which does not work), USB3.0 from my pci-e Asus U3S6 extention card, some HW Monitoring working, GTX970 fixes etc.

But now, I'm stucked again regarding booting my Yosemite Installation using clover but not connecting the SSD to the ICH10 SATA2 port instead using the SATA3 Port on the U3S6 pci-e card. In my newest Asus P6T-SE Bios, every SSD attached to the pcie extention card is shown up (IDE Card which is AHCI redirected due to some bios post messages of the Asus pcie card and the customer support). When I use a second SSD with a mirrored Yosemite installation, clover in efi only installation, boot0af information, my config, kext, dsdt etc. this puppy boots from the ICH10 (sure it should), but not from the pcie extention card. first boot stage does work, but then it fails to boot into second stage where I can choose my different ssd os x yosemite and windows installations. instead, it boots into my main Yosemite Samsung SSD clover installation where I can boot into Yosemite Main installation, but the mirrored Yosemite SSD attached to the pcie extention card is not recognized.

A member, Chris, posted to my questions in another topic, that he uses another expansion card on another motherboard without any problems (for booting up using clover): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/?p=2206454

Can Anyone give me any advice? Due to some other topics in the internet, the Asus U3S6 should be accepting every possible boot. I haven't tried any Windows installation at the moment as a reference point. 

That card does not have an EFI bios on it so will not be bootable or seen until the system boots unless you use legacy boot.  So this is not a Clover problem.

• Like 1

@arsradu For trial & error purposes, injecting our additional gpu properties via efistrings/dsdt is such of bad choices. Do that after successfully reach the desktop, and lock your fixed settings with efistrings/dsdt later. No need to delete previously efistrings since Clover now able to en/disable that setting from boot gui. You may try to reverse "AAPL,boot-display" value to other working port.

kBootArgsFlagBlack is the bitfield to set to have the black background + white progress bar (kBootArgsFlagHiDPI to have a bigger one, as well for the logo)

that is what you can find in the xnu kernel in El Capitan:

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRConfigMode (1 << 4)

#define kBootArgsFlagInstallUI (1 << 8)

...here in Yosemite:

#define kBootArgsFlagCSRPendingConfig (1 << 4)

Thats what i want, a bigger apple logo but with HiDPI bit enabled i can't see a difference

post-448675-0-33832300-1452853188_thumb.jpg

If I'm not mistaken (from your picture) the progress bar looks bigger and OK sign that the bit is correctly set, but not the logo....
Please confirm this..

EDIT

I gave a quick look (so forgive me if I'm wrong) to the sources  at /edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/entry_scan/bootscreen.c:

STATIC UINT8 whiteAppleLogo[] = {
   0x89, 0x50, 0x4E, 0x47,........

the header show a PNG image but I have no found  different size of the Apple white logo, maybe is this the problem?
The progress bar is drawn by the kernel, the logo by Clover...but seem that you have to override the logo in GUI section, or add a bigger image to the source..

Edited by Micky1979

Clover Configurator is NOT made by the same people and removes things that coders of clover would not have done?

Clover Configurator is - imho - not bad per se, but the huge problem with it is that it removes any configuration options it does not actively support via its GUI when you save the plist back to disk. And since the development seems to stall lately, these options become more and more as Clover development continues. So its usefulness does really fade now ... unfortunately, I actually liked it.

Does clover configurator use the clover folder? So if I manually access the EFI/Clover folder on my hack then I am in the folder that clover installer made?

Yes it uses the very same config.plist as Clover does.

That card does not have an EFI bios on it so will not be bootable or seen until the system boots unless you use legacy boot.  So this is not a Clover problem.

Hi AppleGuy,

ok I've reformated my second backup ssd to mbr boot, recopyed my yosemite installation to it, used clover with boot0af, added my config, kexts, dsdt. but still not bootup, first stage ok, then nothing and after some seconds the pc falls back to the next bootable device - which is the original EFI clover yosemite ssd connected to my ich10

If I'm not mistaken (from your picture) the progress bar looks bigger and OK sign that the bit is correctly set, but not the logo....

Please confirm this..

EDIT

I gave a quick look (so forgive me if I'm wrong) to the sources  at /edk2/Clover/rEFIt_UEFI/entry_scan/bootscreen.c:

STATIC UINT8 whiteAppleLogo[] = {
   0x89, 0x50, 0x4E, 0x47,........

the header show a PNG image but I have no found  different size of the Apple white logo, maybe is this the problem?

The progress bar is drawn by the kernel, the logo by Clover...but seem that you have to override the logo in GUI section, or add a bigger image to the source..

boot.efi draws it...

• Like 1

naah  :whistle: . At least boot.efi define pass the background color as argument to the kernel (based also on the SMBIOS but for real Mac?), set the bitfield if the monitor is bigger than XXXX x XXXX (so here is decided if the progress bar/logo must be the largest ones --> kBootArgsFlagHiDPI). The logo is read from the file system (/usr/standalone/i386/EfiLoginUI/appleLogo.efires) and is lzvn compressed.

Otherwise why Clover include embedded image like I mentioned? :P ..also the gray logo is there among the relative backgroud colors

Clover can draw a custom boot screen and lock up GOP, so I suppose it's for that. Also, the logo is not read from HDD, but is embedded in boot.efi. The one on the HDD is used for FV2 login GUI afaik.

EDIT: Check the "CustomBootModeStr" array. You can see the different boot screen modes there, which includes Apple. I think apianti introduced it due to user demand, even if I wouldn't ever use it personally. ;)

Clover can draw a custom boot screen and lock up GOP, so I suppose it's for that. Also, the logo is not read from HDD, but is embedded in boot.efi. 

Sorry Bro, I will not necessarily be right, but if you look at boot.efi this way:

cat /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi | grep -a appleLogo.efires

you can see in clear what is attempting to read.

Make sense that Clover can draw a custom logo, but I found strange to have these images there if already have by boot.efi. Good that is able to do that ;)

I think he introduced it when people wanted the black/white version for SMBIOS using grey and vice-versa. And also, the folder is called "EfiLoginUi", so I think I recalled correctly it is used for FV2 login. ;)

There should be another Apple logo in some graphics kext which is later used by the kernel itself.

• Like 1

Hello everyone and thanks for the hard work ...

I was wondering if there is any possibility to force EFI GOP whether Legacy Support (CSM) is enabled or not? the thing is, if I set CSM on and rebooted from OSX the laptop boot in black display. I can choose OS from clover in the dark but after boot OSX display turn on again. If I set CSM off this issue is not there unless I make any change that force display off/on (like changing resolution for ex.) then the problem exist on next reboot from OSX. The following charts summarise the issue:

Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_13_03_50.png

Screen_Shot_2015_06_15_at_13_03_31.png

A lot more details are available in this topic: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306681-y510p-intel-hd4600-igpu-driver-initialisationre-initialisation-problem/

It is obvious that the problem is graphic related but I was thinking if forcing the EFI GOP mode on every boot (cold or restart) would solve the problem but I don't know how. There may not be anything to do with Clover for this but I thought to ask .. who knows ..

My laptop specs are available in my signature .. I can provide any required information ..

Thanks in advance

• Like 1