iTunes 7 - Official Problem Thread

pro547

330 posts in this topic

Ok well for me how I got the new iTunes working was like this.

I used AppZapper to remove itunes from my system,then installed iTunes from the iTunes.pkg on the install dvd.

Next I installed the iTunes 7 update,and thats it.

I followed JaS's steps and it once again throws up the same error, still not working here.

yea i think its a SSE2 problem.... damn it i just updated my hard drive and memory in my laptop too and i should have just gotten a new one...

Is there any way to fool itunes into thinking that we have SSE3 instead of SSE2? I'm not sure if this is related but it seems that now only system sounds are working (such as the noise when changing volume...but sounds in other programs aren't playing, could be a QT issue or a itunes issue? Could just be my computer being silly...)

Looking around on comments made so far it only seems to be people with SEE3 who have been able to run it. If I'm wrong then someone please correct me, but I'm yet to hear of anything running it on a SEE2 processor. (I'm hoping that we're wrong on this, as I don't want to have to buy a new processor just to run itunes7!)

just want to say again, for those now tuning in.

i'm on 10.4.7, manually updated from 10.4.4, P4 3.0Ghz SSE2 CPU

i've converted iTunes 7 to PPC, it opens and works as fast in Rosetta, as iTunes 6 does native. CoverFlow animations are smooth and

as fast as the standalone CoverFlow app native.

don't know why the conversion isn't working for some people. perhaps it doesn't work for some reason if they are SSE3, but will work on SSE2?

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

a few more people try this. not an optimal solution, but if it works for me, it will work for some others.

so you guys are thinking that they added some now sse3 checks into itunes?

how did you come to that conclusion ?

That's nothing but a wild guess I made. I remember that Maxxuss said that the SSE3 emulator was not 100% complete, missing something like 2 instructions which are (were) never used anywhere in OS X and all known UB apps.

Since most people here who are reporting that it works are native SSE3 users, I made the hypothesis that Apple has tweaked its compiler (or ASM routines in iTunes) to take advantage of one of those instructions.

If anyone is still having problems getting it running under Rosetta on an SSE2 machine, try this:

In a terminal cd into /Applications then run the ditto command found earlier in the thread.

If you just try to open iTunesPPC you'll get an error, but if you Right Click -> Show Contents -> Contents -> MacOS and then double click iTunes it'll open a terminal and iTunes will launch properly under Rosetta. I tried issuing the exact same command from a terminal that is issued when doing the above and it gave me an error. So for now you have to use that long-ish method to get it working.

I'll probably stick with 6 until the SSE2 issue is worked out. 7 does look pretty nice, though.

Hmm seems ok here so far, but mind you its still 'Determining Gapless Playback Information' so maybe it'll choke hehe. I've not got the latest Quicktime either... might get it if things work fine past this stage.

Just letting everyone know I updated Quicktime to 7.1.3 and things are still good... don't know if this info helps anyone who's having problems tho...

Quixos, tried that here with SSE2. I get the following error:

"You cannot open the application "iTunesPPC" because it is not supported on this system."

i've converted iTunes 7 to PPC, it opens and works as fast in Rosetta, as iTunes 6 does native. CoverFlow animations are smooth and

don't know why the conversion isn't working for some people. perhaps it doesn't work for some reason if they are SSE3, but will work on SSE2?

a few more people try this. not an optimal solution, but if it works for me, it will work for some others.

i've converted iTunes 7 to PPC, it opens and works as fast in Rosetta as iTunes 6 does native. CoverFlow animations are smooth and

you might have all forgotten how fast rosetta is now, cause you are all using universal or intel apps. :)

i did this and it copied a ppc version but i cant open it says that it is not supported on my system...

1.tiff