• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

deadlyhifi

deadlyhifi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I get annoyed that there is no better way to look through images with Preview in sequence. You have to open iPhoto to scroll through-some things are not iPhoto worthy! There should probably be forward and back buttons. Anybody else?

couldn't agree more with that. Even windows has that and it's so simple.

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I get annoyed that there is no better way to look through images with Preview in sequence. You have to open iPhoto to scroll through-some things are not iPhoto worthy! There should probably be forward and back buttons. Anybody else?

Select images in Finder. Right-click on one of them and select "Slideshow". You will see selected images full screen, and it will give you overlaid navigation controls. One of the controls puts images in grid view and you can select individual images to view with mouse. It is all very nicely animated as well. Try it, it is built into Finder.

You can also set Finder to show 128x128 pixel icons and turn image prevew on for certain folders. This works pretty well for folders where you store various images, but not the kind you would want to import into iPhoto.

If you wish to view multiple images with Preview, you can select them in Finder, and double-click on one of them (assuming Preview is your default viewer for those types of files. Otherwise, you can right-click one of the files, and select Open With > Preview). Selected images will open in Preview as if it were a multiple-page file, with thumbnails in drawer.

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I find it annoying that some programs close when you click the X button, and some just go an hide in the dock. I think they should all close, as the minimize button hides things as well.

Right or wrong, it helps to understand Apple's Human Interface Guidelines to see what the logic is:

"In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window."

See Apple's website for more info.

rogabean

rogabean

My Mac wants you!

• Retired Developers
  • 863 posts

Right or wrong, it helps to understand Apple's Human Interface Guidelines to see what the logic is:

"In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window."

nail meet hammer.

it's going to hit you on the head.

Guest: Guest: Ben_*_*

Guest: Guest: Ben_*_*
  • Guests
I absolutely hate the following on the Mac platform, ever since os9 and before:

1. No desktop icon (the corner gimick is no better)
2. Un-installing applications??
3. Widgets (if they worked like Vista I'd be down with them)

Finally and it's the biggest, not so much an osx thing;

Photoshop - why can't the background expand as in illusrtrator or more to the point as it does on a peecee? Seeing all that background clutter is awfull.

nuff said

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

i've got turn off display set at 10 minutes of inactivity, when i'm watching a movie at Quicktime it turns off anyway

A couple of ways to get around this... first one is to watch quicktime movies full screen. For this you will need Quicktime Pro.

The other way is to use different software - VLC and MplayerOSX will not allow monitor to go to sleep. They also allow you to watch full screen, and are free.

Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon

InsaneMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
i know that watching full-screen prevents that, and i have the colonels tweak to it, but i like thing in my background, and VLC... i just dont like it D:

ultrasoul

ultrasoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Here's another: one cannot change the size of the fonts for the whole OS used to cope with the high resolution like Windows XP. Hate squinting my eyes!

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
I hate not having a My Computer icon, coz I hate drives on me desktop.

Also can I create a drawer like in ObjectDock, and put all me desktop Icons in dere. I hate cluttered desktops!!

Also why are cracked apps so hard to find??? If u know any good links/forums, please PM me.

Suzuka

Suzuka

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
I hate there not being a "shut off moniter button" I hate putting my imac to sleep, but I also hate going to the prefs, and changing it to turn off after one minute

non sequitur

non sequitur

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

I hate not having a My Computer icon, coz I hate drives on me desktop.

Also can I create a drawer like in ObjectDock, and put all me desktop Icons in dere. I hate cluttered desktops!!

Also why are cracked apps so hard to find??? If u know any good links/forums, please PM me.

well, first off you can go to finder preferences, then uncheck the show hard disk option, then under that you will see open new finder windows in home (default). change that to xxxx xxxxxxx's Computer. then just make an alias of finder and put it on your desktop.

second, you can make a folder on your desktop and drag aliases of whatever programs you want into it and then drag the folder on to the dock. it kinda works the same way.

as for the cracking, i have no idea :D

milesce

milesce

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
This is both an annoyance and a great feature. in finder, click go: connect to server: then type in an FTP server. It will mount it as a drive.

This is excellent. What isn't so excellent is that no matter what your permissions are, you can't write to that mounted drive. This is the ONLY feature from windows that I miss (well, also Half-Life, but that's another story).

FriedCPU

FriedCPU

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
although I have got pretty used to it now, after using os x on and off for 3 years, every now and again it catches me out when navigating finder by keyboard... enter doesnt open, it renames!! what is with that? lol.

myzar

myzar

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Today's Great Debate is really more of a venting session. The only real debate is whether these are bugs or features. If one of our annoyances is easily fixed, let us know!

What are the things about OS X that annoy you the most? You know, those seemingly tiny little quirks that really get bothersome after awhile. My 3 largest are fairly common.

First, I have no idea why there's no default list view in the finder. Should I really have to change the settings for each folder?

Secondly, the Dashboard is a powerful tool, but why can't I drag a widget to the desktop (this is, at least, possible) and make it float, stay below other windows, keep it locked on the desktop, etc. (If Apple was trying to knock out Konfabulator with Dashboard - and they were - they should at least support a few of its features)

Finally, why can't I delete messages in Mail.app that are below the one selected? Does the rest of the world start at the bottom of their inbox and move up?

What are yours?

Finder just plain sucks , amiga workbench 1.3 was better

well it's retarded even if it conforms to Apple's monkey Interface FOR RETARDS Guidelines. If i close the main app window i expect the app to freaking quit period

velinn

velinn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

well it's retarded even if it conforms to Apple's monkey Interface FOR RETARDS Guidelines. If i close the main app window i expect the app to freaking quit period

You may call it a monkey interface but there are many Windows programs that do the same thing; MSN Messenger, WinAmp, and X-Chat just to name a few. In Linux you've got Gaim, Rhythmbox, the entire Notification Applet for the panel was designed to allow for this behavor. Hell, even every single Windows Mobile device doesn't close down apps when you "click the x". Why is that, I wonder?

There are plenty of reasons for an app not to close. For the most part, I like it because I don't need to have every single running program on my screen at the same time. I don't think of "the x" as closing a program, I think of it as just getting it off my screen. Minimizing is nice if I want to keep a specific windows contents for later, but something like a web browser I don't need on my screen or in my dock minimized and it is something I open and close all day long. It's nice to not have to load it every time; with it still running it opens instantly. Mail is open all day long, sending and receiving, and not on my screen. If I need to see it, it'll beep at me, otherwise get it off my screen.

I love this functionality. Guess that makes me a retard. :pirate2:

myzar

myzar

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

You may call it a monkey interface but there are many Windows programs that do the same thing; MSN Messenger, WinAmp, and X-Chat just to name a few. In Linux you've got Gaim, Rhythmbox, the entire Notification Applet for the panel was designed to allow for this behavor. Hell, even every single Windows Mobile device doesn't close down apps when you "click the x". Why is that, I wonder?

There are plenty of reasons for an app not to close. For the most part, I like it because I don't need to have every single running program on my screen at the same time. I don't think of "the x" as closing a program, I think of it as just getting it off my screen. Minimizing is nice if I want to keep a specific windows contents for later, but something like a web browser I don't need on my screen or in my dock minimized and it is something I open and close all day long. It's nice to not have to load it every time; with it still running it opens instantly. Mail is open all day long, sending and receiving, and not on my screen. If I need to see it, it'll beep at me, otherwise get it off my screen.

I love this functionality. Guess that makes me a retard. :pirate2:

Well you can't compare it with windows where it could make sense because the apps you say minimize to sys tray where you can see that they are minimized.

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Well you can't compare it with windows where it could make sense because the apps you say minimize to sys tray where you can see that they are minimized.

You can see that in the dock as well - running apps without windows still have the triangle.

cardinal

cardinal

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

I hate there not being a "shut off moniter button" I hate putting my imac to sleep, but I also hate going to the prefs, and changing it to turn off after one minute

I'm curious, why do you need to shut the monitor off? Why not just permanently leave it on automatic 5 min (or whatever) monitor power save. I assume that iMac has this option, separately from sleep timeout. I have power switch on my monitor, but I can't recall last time I used it.

velinn

velinn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

You can see that in the dock as well - running apps without windows still have the triangle.

Exactly and you don't get a cluttered systray. Also if there really was a problem with keeping apps open like a serious lack of ram or something: Program Name -> Quit or cmd+q. If the mouse is going towards the upper left hand side for the x, it can't be that much harder to continue in that direction to the menu bar.

willgonz

willgonz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

2. Un-installing applications??

I thought you only had to delete the Application from Applications and it's gone?
I also remember seeing a program that will remove applications for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy