OS X Annoyances

Swad

278 posts in this topic

When she gets home later and when I can pry the laptop from her I'll take a look. I know there was something I changed just don't remember what.

And I would agree that closing the lid on any laptop with it running is a bad idea.

When I go to shutdown, I would like it to shutdown, not pop open another window telling me to click to shutdown or wait 2 minutes and it will do it for me. I wish there was a way to set and option to have it just shutdown and skip this second step.

When I go to shutdown, I would like it to shutdown, not pop open another window telling me to click to shutdown or wait 2 minutes and it will do it for me. I wish there was a way to set and option to have it just shutdown and skip this second step.

This doesn't really solve it, but you can speed up the process by holding option (alt I believe) while clicking shut down. It should skip the warning message.

I've only had my Mac for two days now, but I can't stand switching apps with command+tab and command+`, does anyone know any program out there or anything so I can make command+tab more like Windows in OSX?

If you mean selecting all windows, I already use that command alot but I still perfer windows alt+tab, as for expose' command+tab, it only tabs to the program and not a specific window unless you use command+` which has no GUI and can be annoying using it. I'm looking for an app that can commad+tab like windows where you go to a specific window on all apps.

I have Expose set to trigger when my mouse goes to the bottom left hand side of the screen. So literally with a flick of my wrist, all open windows slide onto the screen and I can choose which one I want to come forward. It was a "wow neat!" flashy feature at first, but now that I've gotten used to it, it is extremely intuitive. I don't know how I ever got along without it.

Did anyone figure out how to set the OS to not go to sleep automatically when the lid is shut? I'd really like to be able to do that because I have cats.. and if you need more of an explaination than that, you don't have cats. ^_^

If you mean selecting all windows, I already use that command alot but I still perfer windows alt+tab, as for expose' command+tab, it only tabs to the program and not a specific window unless you use command+` which has no GUI and can be annoying using it. I'm looking for an app that can commad+tab like windows where you go to a specific window on all apps.

You are looking for Witch. It will let you alt-tab while showing a list of all windows, not just one entry per application as cmd-tab does.

Guest Guest: roberto_*

I get annoyed that there is no better way to look through images with Preview in sequence. You have to open iPhoto to scroll through-some things are not iPhoto worthy! There should probably be forward and back buttons. Anybody else?

I get annoyed that there is no better way to look through images with Preview in sequence. You have to open iPhoto to scroll through-some things are not iPhoto worthy! There should probably be forward and back buttons. Anybody else?

couldn't agree more with that. Even windows has that and it's so simple.

Select images in Finder. Right-click on one of them and select "Slideshow". You will see selected images full screen, and it will give you overlaid navigation controls. One of the controls puts images in grid view and you can select individual images to view with mouse. It is all very nicely animated as well. Try it, it is built into Finder.

You can also set Finder to show 128x128 pixel icons and turn image prevew on for certain folders. This works pretty well for folders where you store various images, but not the kind you would want to import into iPhoto.

If you wish to view multiple images with Preview, you can select them in Finder, and double-click on one of them (assuming Preview is your default viewer for those types of files. Otherwise, you can right-click one of the files, and select Open With > Preview). Selected images will open in Preview as if it were a multiple-page file, with thumbnails in drawer.

I find it annoying that some programs close when you click the X button, and some just go an hide in the dock. I think they should all close, as the minimize button hides things as well.

Right or wrong, it helps to understand Apple's Human Interface Guidelines to see what the logic is:

"In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window."

See Apple's website for more info.

Right or wrong, it helps to understand Apple's Human Interface Guidelines to see what the logic is:

"In most cases, applications that are not document-based should quit when the main window is closed. For Example, System Preferences quits if the user closes the window. If an application continues to perform some function when the main window is closed, however, it may be appropriate to leave it running when the main window is closed. For example, iTunes continues to play when the user closes the main window."

See Apple's website for more info.

nail meet hammer.

it's going to hit you on the head.

Guest Guest: Ben_*

I absolutely hate the following on the Mac platform, ever since os9 and before:

1. No desktop icon (the corner gimick is no better)

2. Un-installing applications??

3. Widgets (if they worked like Vista I'd be down with them)

Finally and it's the biggest, not so much an osx thing;

Photoshop - why can't the background expand as in illusrtrator or more to the point as it does on a peecee? Seeing all that background clutter is awfull.

nuff said

i've got turn off display set at 10 minutes of inactivity, when i'm watching a movie at Quicktime it turns off anyway

A couple of ways to get around this... first one is to watch quicktime movies full screen. For this you will need Quicktime Pro.

The other way is to use different software - VLC and MplayerOSX will not allow monitor to go to sleep. They also allow you to watch full screen, and are free.

I hate not having a My Computer icon, coz I hate drives on me desktop.

Also can I create a drawer like in ObjectDock, and put all me desktop Icons in dere. I hate cluttered desktops!!

Also why are cracked apps so hard to find??? If u know any good links/forums, please PM me.