Apple Magic Mouse OSX86 - external bluetooth dongle

Dannydeman

453 posts in this topic

I was determined to make them work. I went out today and brought another BT dongle, the Targus ACB10US (rev. 2) as per Apple's support site. Unfortunately after reading the Targus web page it looks like only the older Rev 1 (long stick) will support Mac. Rev 2 (shorter stick) will not. Apple's support page did not make it very clear. After spent $34 at the local Office Depot I found out the Targus bluetooth dongle is worst than the Trust dongle. Both MM and Keyboard will work. But neither device will wake from the sleep mode no matter what I do.

Good luck. Thanks to LocusOfControl for recommending the Trust dongle. I am so happy. Now my system is fully functioning like a $3000 mac. ;)

There is another thread in the board saying that the short one works.

Sigh, I gotta cash out naother $15 to buy this {censored}.

Yes I have the latest BIOS version. I have the UD4P board. My latest beta BIOS is 10H.

I have some more time to tinker around with the Bluetooth over the Thanksgiving weekend. I think I have a much better understanding of how I got my system to work. The only reason I found out is because my MM stopped working. I spent a few more hours on getting it back to working order. In the process I realized a few more things that might benefit you.

First a few corrections to my original postings:

1. I now realized it was not SteerMouse that made the "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake the Computer" available in Bluetooth Preferences/Advance. It is because I edited the ProductID and VendorID to match my USB Trust Bluetooth dongle. The reason I thought it was SteerMouse was because after I edited the IOBluetoothFamily.kext, I forgot to clear out the boot cache. It did not register the changed I made until after I installed SteerMouse.

2. The file I edited was not the one I attached in the earlier posting. I posted the wrong one. The one I edited to include the proper Product and Vendor ID is in this file.

IOBluetoothFamily.kext.zip

3. In the above IOBluetoothFamily file I added the following information in IOBluetoothFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/BroadcomUSBBluetoothHCIControl/Contents/info.plist/IOKitPersonalities the following information:

a new entry called Broadcom2046FamilyUSBBluetoothHCIController_TT (_TT is just my initial). The easiest way is to just duplicate one of the Broadcom2046 keys in IOKitPersonalities. Go into the key you just created and change the idProduct to your Bluetooth dongle Product ID and idVendor to your Bluetooth dongle's Vendor ID. NOTE: you need to convert the HEX information of your Bluetooth dongle found in System Preferences/Hardware/USB to Decimal. In my case my Product ID is 0x2148 (8520 in decimal) and Vendor ID is 0x0a5c (2652 in decimal).

4. After you boot without system cache you now should be able to go into your Bluetooth Preferenece/Advance and select "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake the computer".

5. I had to reinstall SteerMouse. Without it my computer with KP after the system is wake from sleep. I believe SteerMouse uses older Bluetooth HID driver in its Kext.

Now check to see if you can wake the computer with your mouse. Hope you can get it to work.

I'm happy to report that this works with my Magic Mouse for the Jabra - A320s- I modified the IOBluetoothFamily.kext with the device id (8449) (same vendor ID (2652) as yours). Tested on a built-in USB- wakes from sleep beautifully. :P

post-89646-1259855589_thumb.png

But, sadly, as I keep it plugged into a USB 2.0 extension cord, it won't wake from there. :(

@ ttgolf

disabling that option totally screwed my magic mouse, the system did sleep fine though and wake up by clicking the mouse worked. BUT, no magic mouse features worked anymore, no more swiping, no more scrolling etc. The Mouse cursor jumped like crazy.

Simply re-enabling that option didn't cure my mouse :D

I had hard times getting my magic mouse back to normal work! I had to delete the com.apple.Bluetooth plist, reboot, delete it again, reboot and config my bluetooth devices from the ground up. Strange...

I read about above problems in the apple forums, i now know the cure :)

@ ttgolf

disabling that option totally screwed my magic mouse, the system did sleep fine though and wake up by clicking the mouse worked. BUT, no magic mouse features worked anymore, no more swiping, no more scrolling etc. The Mouse cursor jumped like crazy.

Simply re-enabling that option didn't cure my mouse ;)

I had hard times getting my magic mouse back to normal work! I had to delete the com.apple.Bluetooth plist, reboot, delete it again, reboot and config my bluetooth devices from the ground up. Strange...

I read about above problems in the apple forums, i now know the cure ;)

Similar thing happened to me a couple of times but I found that pulling out the dongle and waiting about 10 or

20 seconds after reinserting it into a different usb slot fixed it.

Idle sleep seems to have stopped for some reason, disks start to go to sleep, cpu powers down and then restarts

instantly. Software sleep via apple menu still works though. (remember I'm using a v2.0 BT dongle)

No issues with signal strength, keep picking up neighbours mobile phones across the street!

On a slightly different topic, prior to getting the Trust 2400p to work, I ordered a new Trust v2.1 dongle (16008)

This one is amazing, when I try to boot my ex58-ud5 bios f9j, it prevents booting past the opening screen!

(I tried it in a 6 year old lap top and it works at boot so probably a bios bug)

Edit -- Watched a bit closer, first boot detects 12Gb RAM and speed, fails and reboots and only detects 800 bytes

and slow speed, almost if it's checking for RAM on the dongle!

Edit 2 -- Notice this dongle has a ROM BCM92046DG-CL1ROM, one of the calls on the ex58-ud5 post is 49h, calculate

total memory. I wonder? My other Belkin v2.1 doesn't have a ROM shown in system profiler and that boots OK

New dongle works if I boot without it and only insert it during SL boot. After sleep though it wakes up and dies.

The strangest thing is that it is almost identical to ttgolf's (currently back using the 2400p)

With my v2.0 2400p I use 0x2101 (8449) in my plist

With my v2.1 I use 0x2146 (8518) in my plist. Using 0x4500 doesn't show wake from sleep but 0x2146 does

Bluetooth Com One Device:

Product ID:	0x2101
 Vendor ID:	0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.)
 Version:	 1.00
 Speed:	Up to 12 Mb/sec
 Manufacturer:	Broadcom Corp
 Location ID:	0x1d200000
 Current Available (mA):	500
 Current Required (mA):	100

with the v2.1 I have

BCM2046B1:

Product ID:	0x4500
 Manufacturer:	Broadcom
 Location ID:	0x3d200000
 Current Available (mA):	500
 Current Required (mA):	94

Composite Device:

Product ID:	0x4503
 Location ID:	0x3d220000
 Current Available (mA):	132
 Current Required (mA):	2

Composite Device:

Product ID:	0x4502
 Location ID:	0x3d210000
 Current Required (mA):	2

BCM92046DG-CL1ROM:

Product ID:	0x2146
 Version:	 2.73
 Serial Number:	000272A065E7
 Manufacturer:	Broadcom Corp
 Location ID:	0x3d230000
 Current Required (mA):	Unknown (Device has not been configured)

regards

Steve

Similar thing happened to me a couple of times but I found that pulling out the dongle and waiting about 10 or

20 seconds after reinserting it into a different usb slot fixed it.

Idle sleep seems to have stopped for some reason, disks start to go to sleep, cpu powers down and then restarts

instantly. Software sleep via apple menu still works though. (remember I'm using a v2.0 BT dongle)

regards

Steve

Hmm, this BT is trying to make a liar out of me

Last night I was messing about with cpu power settings etc in the bios for EX58-UD5 F9j.

This morning idle sleep started working again (wake on BT still working)

mental note to self, if it's working, leave it alone

regards

Steve

Anyone Experience with the Famous mini bluetooth with:

devicebluetooth.png

Magic works in Windows (Scroll drivers from apple totally not) and in Snow it worked 3 times and together is that 1 second :)

Thanks

Klaas

Edit: Made it work to change bluetooth version from 3 to 2

This is probably the place to ask as I've been stuck with this for a while now. I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard using a Belkin USB bluetooth adapter - it works fine, it even wakes my computer. Although for some reason when I wake up from sleep the key bindings are messed up. Especially the function keys along the top, they all operate different things i.e volume controls exposé etc.

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

This is probably the place to ask as I've been stuck with this for a while now. I have an Apple bluetooth keyboard using a Belkin USB bluetooth adapter - it works fine, it even wakes my computer. Although for some reason when I wake up from sleep the key bindings are messed up. Especially the function keys along the top, they all operate different things i.e volume controls exposé etc.

Anyone had this problem?

Thanks

I have a wired apple keyboard but a MM. Normally OK on wake but occasionally but not often the mouse jumps

about a bit. I normally pull the BT adapter out for 30s or so and this fixes it. Don't know why, I assume 2 possible

reasons, BT drivers are still a bit buggy and/or we are using USB adapters which the Apple kexts are not targeted

for (don't real macs have internal BT?)

Guest Suchit K

i use a cheap $1 ebay one and its been working for a year now!:-

and its plug and play auto compatible with mac even though it doesnt say so....

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

Version: 1.34

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0x1d100000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 100

I finally got my Targus ACB10US last week. This is the old version (Long stick). I can confirm as well that it works out of the box. Wake from Bluetooth device check box is also visible. Sleep and Wake no problem. The only issue I have is Idle (Auto software) sleep won't work if I have Wake from Bluetooth device is checked. I believe LocusOfControl have confirm the same issue.

Bottom line - we have two Bluetooth Dongles that will support "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences. These are Trust 2400P and Targus ACB10US (long stick).

Also wake/sleep all working except idle sleep.

One other question for everyone - can you check to see if you can get into BIOS with your BT keyboard? I read that Logitech DiNovo keyboard bluetooth dongle support this feature. I am planning to get one to try it out. It looks like a common problem for any BT keyboard. It will not work until the OS is loaded. I read in a forum that some BT dongle will support HID Proxy mode which will "pretend" to be an actual keyboard during boot up (POST). Search for the PERFECT BT dongle continues.............

Hi ttgolf!

I can use my apple wireless keyboard during POST. Sadly I can't get into BIOS because it lacks SUPR key :blink:, but I can select boot drive and enter chameleon prompt values (-v, etc). My bluetooth is the famous dbt-120. There's one catch though... It only works after cold boot, if I restart the computer from mac os, it doesn't response. Must be the way OpenHaltRestart.kext handles the reboot, because when rebooting from windows it works aswell.

Bye!

I finally got my Targus ACB10US last week. This is the old version (Long stick). I can confirm as well that it works out of the box. Wake from Bluetooth device check box is also visible. Sleep and Wake no problem. The only issue I have is Idle (Auto software) sleep won't work if I have Wake from Bluetooth device is checked. I believe LocusOfControl have confirm the same issue.

Bottom line - we have two Bluetooth Dongles that will support "Allow Bluetooth Devices to wake this computer" option in Bluetooth Preferences. These are Trust 2400P and Targus ACB10US (long stick).

Also wake/sleep all working except idle sleep.

One other question for everyone - can you check to see if you can get into BIOS with your BT keyboard? I read that Logitech DiNovo keyboard bluetooth dongle support this feature. I am planning to get one to try it out. It looks like a common problem for any BT keyboard. It will not work until the OS is loaded. I read in a forum that some BT dongle will support HID Proxy mode which will "pretend" to be an actual keyboard during boot up (POST). Search for the PERFECT BT dongle continues.............

I also have a Trust 2.1 dongle http://www.trust.com/products/product.aspx?artnr=16008

It is a Broadcom 2046 with onboard ROM, unfortunately I can't get it to work with my EX58-UD5 since it wont post

with it plugged in. Blue light comes on at boot but the bios seems to think it is a bootable device. It does work on

a couple of older laptops I have so its not a dongle problem.

If I plug it in during SL boot it has worked, though not reliably since as I can't use at system boot I haven't paid much

effort in setting up the kext

just got mine yesterday :)

img0123ri.jpg

i'm using a cheap BT dongle, it's Cambridge and YES i have no wake up too but i'm loving the dongle since it works flawlessly on my old mighty mouse.. still fine though since i use a wired aluminum keyboard and i can wake up fine from it.

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x0001

Vendor ID: 0x0a12 (Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.)

Version: 48.39

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Location ID: 0xfd630000

Current Available (mA): 100

Current Required (mA): 0

anyone using BTT (Better Touch Tool) for the MM? i use it for Expose and it's really nice..

screenshot: http://grab.by/1gLV

anyone is using apple wireless keyboard?

is it possible to make it remember the pairing with osx and windows7 in a dual boot environment?

i am able to do that with my Logitech Travel mouse but not with this keyboard so far.

any ideas?

EDIT:

worst case i will get apple usb keyboard, but i have a question about it accessing bios settings.

sk1nhead and others who have the apple usb keyboard, are you able to access bios by pressing Delete button (i mean like in windows keyboard)?

is it possible to make it remember the pairing with osx and windows7 in a dual boot environment?

i am able to do that with my Logitech Travel mouse but not with this keyboard so far.

any ideas?

EDIT:

worst case i will get apple usb keyboard, but i have a question about it accessing bios settings.

sk1nhead and others who have the apple usb keyboard, are you able to access bios by pressing Delete button (i mean like in windows keyboard)?

I have the wired apple usb keyboard (the one with the number pad) and I can use it for bios and waking the computer

any ideas?

EDIT:

i have that same problem but with my Wireless Mighty Mouse (scroll), I dont do windows though but i always need to pair it if i boot my other OSX partition.

re: keyboard, i have the slim version without the numpad and NO i cant access my bios on it (my bios needs delete key to be pressed), if you want get the extended one - i'm sure it'll work.

waking up works too after mm67 fix (check GB thread) but it stops again at least on my ES2L board after the new restart fix (GB thread again)...

edit: working now after restart fix v2.1

HTH :)