[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Hmm

I had no issues with the 10.6.2 upgrade, everything is working as before e.g LAN, Timemachine, wake/sleep, BT, if

anything it seems to have fixed a few buglets from 10.6.1 as you would expect

I only use Apple's Audio kext's yet my sound is working as per real Mac with front speaker sound (not bothered about

surround sound)

I suspect any bugs are in peoples config or third party kexts, my setup isn't yet perfect but I'm trying to improve

the small issues I know about

steve

Oh, I didn't mean our installs were messed with but they certainly killed Atom installs. I'm just wondering if they will work on getting other non Apple machines killed.

So I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. When I double click to run the installer it gives the following:

/~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: No such file or directory

logout

It is in the folder like it should. So then I run just the X58_patch_installer.sh in terminal and it will get me to the password and then gives me this:

sudo: ./~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: command not found

/Users/XXXX/Desktop/Gigabyte SL Prepare/X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer/~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: line 28: /Users/XXXX/~extra/Logs/Install.log: No such file or directory

Both of which are in their respective places. I am confused. I believe I tried this a while back and got it to work but remember I had to do something slightly different to make it work. Not sure.

I am trying to run this on a 13" Macbook Pro with 10.6.2.

Any help is great. Thanks

Oh, I didn't mean our installs were messed with but they certainly killed Atom installs. I'm just wondering if they will work on getting other non Apple machines killed.

Apple would need to be careful they don't kill their legitimate products such as Mac Pro, hence your goal should be to

stay as close as possible to the actual Apple spec wrt to hardware and supporting kexts. The more you rely on exotic

graphics cards and 3rd party kexts and kernels the greater your risk. You can see what Apple support on their web

store pages. This is how I sourced my components, ie tried to stay close to Apple spec.

There would need to be a good business case to target i7 installs and ensure existing Mac Pro's are not damaged which

would cost them money.

Apple doesn't have any atom products so they don't need to factor them in their plans, if it breaks hackintoshes, why

would they care?

steve

Apple would need to be careful they don't kill their legitimate products such as Mac Pro, hence your goal should be to

stay as close as possible to the actual Apple spec wrt to hardware and supporting kexts. The more you rely on exotic

graphics cards and 3rd party kexts and kernels the greater your risk. You can see what Apple support on their web

store pages. This is how I sourced my components, ie tried to stay close to Apple spec.

There would need to be a good business case to target i7 installs and ensure existing Mac Pro's are not damaged which

would cost them money.

Apple doesn't have any atom products so they don't need to factor them in their plans, if it breaks hackintoshes, why

would they care?

steve

Isn't an i7 processor an option on the new imacs? Meaning they can't pull the same trick as with the atom?

going to try 10.6.2 on my test intsall over the weekend. I agree with you about keeping away from exotic graphics cards, i use an nvidia with native driver and device string.

Cheers

Jon

Isn't an i7 processor an option on the new imacs? Meaning they can't pull the same trick as with the atom?

That was exactly my point, of course I could imagine they could design an elaborate engineering scheme to

distinguish between an i7 hack and an i7 mac but would the engineering cost of doing so be worth the risk and

development cost?

Of course this is purely my 2 cents but I assume apple is like any other business when it comes to business benefit

etc

I have been experiencing a few hiccups in the upgrade to 10.6.2. My system seems to be a pretty standard one (UD5 w/ 9E BIOS, i7-920@stock, 9800GTX+).

Everything was running great under 10.6.1... I am attaching a screen shot of the kext setup I had. No significant changes were made to the standard plists other than that I added a EFI string for LAN in order to get netflix streaming to work.

I upgraded my second (basically identical) partition to 10.6.2, following the instructions above. When I first booted in, my graphics were not working properly - according to system profiler, I only had 32MB VRAM.

I fixed this by moving ATY_init from Extra to System.

The next problem was that sleep did not work properly in 10.6.2. I believe there are two versions of SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.2 - one posted in this forum as well as other places, and one posted on netkas.org. Neither worked.

With the one posted here, the screen didn't turn on after wake from sleep, and with the netkas SleepEnabler, I get KP after wake from sleep.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I would really like to have sleep working in 10.6.2

Well... after nearly 2 days of trial and error, I finally figured out a solution... which seems quite simple now. I'll describe my solution for anyone that has the same problem or is curious.

It turns out that the solution to my first problem seems to have caused the second problem - i.e. for whatever reason when ATY_init.kext is in S/L/E, my screen doesn't wake from sleep, but when it is in Extra, wake up works fine. So I realized I had to go back to the drawing board to solve the graphics problem.

It turns out it was an easy fix. I just had to repair permissions and then ATY_init.kext worked in Extra as before.

So, to summarize, the only step I missed was the repair permissions. My kext setup is now exactly the same as under 10.6.1, but I have replaced the old SleepEnabler with the one posted on this forum.

So I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong. When I double click to run the installer it gives the following:

/~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: No such file or directory

logout

It is in the folder like it should. So then I run just the X58_patch_installer.sh in terminal and it will get me to the password and then gives me this:

sudo: ./~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: command not found

/Users/XXXX/Desktop/Gigabyte SL Prepare/X58_Mobo_Patch_Installer/~extra/X58_patch_installer.sh: line 28: /Users/XXXX/~extra/Logs/Install.log: No such file or directory

Both of which are in their respective places. I am confused. I believe I tried this a while back and got it to work but remember I had to do something slightly different to make it work. Not sure.

I am trying to run this on a 13" Macbook Pro with 10.6.2.

Any help is great. Thanks

I got it all worked out. Had to use my 10.5 hack side to do everything and managed to get it all working. Had some initial issues with getting and loosing sound and network but got everything solid. Now I am just working on my graphics card. I broke the whole system with the 10.6.2 update but considering I have a better grasp I can get everything back up in less then an hour. Thanks all that contribute to this project and DD for the excellent guide.

akindy,

Do you have EthernetBuiltin=yes present in boot.plist ?

This is Apple's own airport card and works natively without any additional kexts.

Beyond being plugged to PCI-Ex1 port on the mobo, it doesn't need any additional connections.

1. For now you will will be able to use this card in 32bit mode only.

This card is 64bit capable but Apple didn't release 64bit drivers for any of its Airport products yet.

Supposedly they are included in 10.6.2 update: http://netkas.org/?p=279.

2. For sleep to work properly you should:

- keep NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked in Energy Saver preferences.

3. If sleep still won't work, delete: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.applePowerManagament.plist

then,

- reboot and move two sliders inside EnergySaver preferences to desired positions.

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked.

- reboot with -s and update caches with buildcache commannd.

Also check my install Post #661 as it has been updated with new fixes.

For the wireless

Using DD's script I added the EthernetBuiltin=yes. It still won't work. In /Extras/com.apple.boot.plist looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32 arch=i386</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Apple_Alu_Boot</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

But it doesn't show as an option to add in Networking under System preferences, or in System Profiler. I read your post #661 and it references adding a dev-id to the native kext, I am unsure where I could get my card's dev-id. Is this the problem?

DD, I have had a flawless Leopard installation for a long time, but cannot seem to get the new script to work? I have reformatted my backup drive and tried a clean install on a fresh partition titled "Snow Leopard" using the Snow Leopard retail upgrade disk I purchased. It always fails, and states the following error: Install Failed: The Installer could not install some files in "/Volumes/Snow Leopard". Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

For the wireless

Using DD's script I added the EthernetBuiltin=yes. It still won't work.

But it doesn't show as an option to add in Networking under System preferences, or in System Profiler. I read your post #661 and it references adding a dev-id to the native kext, I am unsure where I could get my card's dev-id. Is this the problem?

akindy,

I do not know what to tell you.

This card works like a charm in 32 bit mode without doing anything at all.

I just plugged it into PCI-E x1 slot, booted and found it present in Network preferences. It also works great in Windows.

It wouldn't work in 64 bit mode until 10.6.2 update and procedure that I have mentioned in Post #661.

Below are details on procedure for getting it to work in 64bit mode in OSX 10.6.2.

Drag /S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to the desktop.

Right-click on IO80211Family.kext and choose Show Package Contents

Go to Contents/PlugIns/AirportAtheros21.kext

Right-click on AirportAtheros21.kext and choose Show Package Contents

Go to Contents and drag Info.plist over TextEdit application to open it.

Add following dev-id code <string>pci168c,24</string> just below <string>pci168c,2a</string>

Save file and close all windows.

Use KextHelper application to install modified IO80211Family.kext to /S/L/E.

Now your Airport card will work in 64bir mode.

If you can't get it to work in 32 bit, it will not work in 64 bit mode either. Maybe your card is simply defective.

Well... after nearly 2 days of trial and error, I finally figured out a solution... which seems quite simple now. I'll describe my solution for anyone that has the same problem or is curious.

It turns out that the solution to my first problem seems to have caused the second problem - i.e. for whatever reason when ATY_init.kext is in S/L/E, my screen doesn't wake from sleep, but when it is in Extra, wake up works fine. So I realized I had to go back to the drawing board to solve the graphics problem.

It turns out it was an easy fix. I just had to repair permissions and then ATY_init.kext worked in Extra as before.

So, to summarize, the only step I missed was the repair permissions. My kext setup is now exactly the same as under 10.6.1, but I have replaced the old SleepEnabler with the one posted on this forum.

I'm confused.. why are you using ATY for a 9800 gtx? I had always thought that was for ATI cards not nvidia. Also, I have had nothing but one problem or another with kexts for my 9800gtx+ but nothing but smooth sailing using a graphics string. Am I wrong in assuming ATY_init.kext is for ati based cards?

edit

Ok i googled it, i guess i'm wrong... but still graphics string is the only way i have been able to get two monitors at 1920x1200x32 with full quartz and all that jazz. Not saying other methods won't work since I havent tried them all.

Or how can I do it with time machine?

If you have a time machine backup, you can boot off the DVD installer, when you get to the point of installing Snow Leopard, click on utilities in the task bar menu and select restore from time machine.

Simple as that :)

Hi All!

I hope to think otherwise but this may become kind of an awkward and misplaced post - so apologies in advance...

I'm a digital audio workstation user, a fairly recent Mac convert, and an absolute OSx86 newbie. However, coming from a build / tweak / overclock background I just can't shake the itch! So I am looking into building an X58 based hack. So far so good.

Here is the twist: since I'd like to get 1. "mission critical" stability, 2. very minimal kext fiddle, 3. maximum software update friendliness; I came up with this scheme: disable pretty much every last thing on board of the motherboard, fill in all the blanks with out of box Mac compatible retail products. I know this must seem crazy to seasoned OSx86 builders! After all such a machine will cost much more than a typical hack because of the unnecessary "for Mac" add-on cards. Also I know that for most people the thrill is in the fiddle and the discovery... Anyhow; I've posted the configuration I am looking at at the bottom.

Questions:

1. If I go with "for Mac" cards, will I really have done away with the need for a lot of kext tweaks?

2. Will the only two necessary kexts be what DD indicated as absolute musts in the first post?

3. Aside from those two kexts, will I only have to figure out the EFI boot issue?

4. Would this approach make my life really easier for software updates?

Thanks a lot for bearing with me & all the best...

Krofa.

===========================

Proposed Configuration:

Gigabyte EX58 UD4P with these items disabled:

1. All non ICH 10 storage and I/O controllers

2. On board USB, FW & LAN

3. On board Audio

Mac compatible aftermarket items:

1. Graphics: Radeon 3870 Mac Edition

2. Storage: Highpoint RocketRAID 1522A: two hot swappable eSATA ports: PCI

3. Connectivity: Sonnet Tango Express 800 USB: three FW800 ports + two USB 2.0 ports: PCIe

4. Networking: Sonnet GigaBit Pro: one 10/100/1000 ethernet port: PCIe

5. Audio: Lynx Two: my existing pro audio interface: PCI

The works:

Core i7-920 | 6GBs G.Skill RAM | 300GB WD VelociRaptor | Samsung S223Q Burner | Lian Li PC-7F Case | SeaSonic X650 PSU | Prolimatech Megahalem Heatsink. Just the silence orientation (Case, PSU, HSF) eats away about $400.

The total cost for this build would come to about $1.750 including shipping. Still $750 cheaper than the entry level MacPro. Lacks: 1 x Ethernet | 3 x USB | 1 x FW800 | 1 x PCIe x16. Adds: 2 x eSATA. Same CPU with overclock possibility; older GPU; twice the default RAM expandable up to 24GBs; much faster system drive.

Hi All!

I hope to think otherwise but this may become kind of an awkward and misplaced post - so apologies in advance...

I'm a digital audio workstation user, a fairly recent Mac convert, and an absolute OSx86 newbie. However, coming from a build / tweak / overclock background I just can't shake the itch! So I am looking into building an X58 based hack. So far so good.

Here is the twist: since I'd like to get 1. "mission critical" stability, 2. very minimal kext fiddle, 3. maximum software update friendliness; I came up with this scheme: disable pretty much every last thing on board of the motherboard, fill in all the blanks with out of box Mac compatible retail products. I know this must seem crazy to seasoned OSx86 builders! After all such a machine will cost much more than a typical hack because of the unnecessary "for Mac" add-on cards. Also I know that for most people the thrill is in the fiddle and the discovery... Anyhow; I've posted the configuration I am looking at at the bottom.

Questions:

1. If I go with "for Mac" cards, will I really have done away with the need for a lot of kext tweaks?

2. Will the only two necessary kexts be what DD indicated as absolute musts in the first post?

3. Aside from those two kexts, will I only have to figure out the EFI boot issue?

4. Would this approach make my life really easier for software updates?

Thanks a lot for bearing with me & all the best...

Krofa.

===========================

Proposed Configuration:

Gigabyte EX58 UD4P with these items disabled:

1. All non ICH 10 storage and I/O controllers

2. On board USB, FW & LAN

3. On board Audio

Mac compatible aftermarket items:

1. Graphics: Radeon 3870 Mac Edition

2. Storage: Highpoint RocketRAID 1522A: two hot swappable eSATA ports: PCI

3. Connectivity: Sonnet Tango Express 800 USB: three FW800 ports + two USB 2.0 ports: PCIe

4. Networking: Sonnet GigaBit Pro: one 10/100/1000 ethernet port: PCIe

5. Audio: Lynx Two: my existing pro audio interface: PCI

The works:

Core i7-920 | 6GBs G.Skill RAM | 300GB WD VelociRaptor | Samsung S223Q Burner | Lian Li PC-7F Case | SeaSonic X650 PSU | Prolimatech Megahalem Heatsink. Just the silence orientation (Case, PSU, HSF) eats away about $400.

The total cost for this build would come to about $1.750 including shipping. Still $750 cheaper than the entry level MacPro. Lacks: 1 x Ethernet | 3 x USB | 1 x FW800 | 1 x PCIe x16. Adds: 2 x eSATA. Same CPU with overclock possibility; older GPU; twice the default RAM expandable up to 24GBs; much faster system drive.

What do you call mission critical - 99.999% availability! I don't think you can get AppleCare on a hack :(

I currently run with FakeSMC and EvoReboot as my only two required kexts - you need FakeSMC or similar so

there is no getting around that. You could get the dual Lan apple GigE card card for $199 and the Mac Radeon

4870. However I've overclocked, updated and tested my system with prime95 and found it to be stable

with everything working , what are you planning to do that will break your setup? Personally I just use a

reference model 4870 and it works fine for me.

I do also use the onboard Lan ports on the UD5 with the new 64bit Realtek kext and haven't had any problems.

I guess the closer you stick to Mac Pro spec the safer you will be so I think a mix of Apple parts and 3rd party

versions is then best you can get

I would get a TimeCapsule or something similar for backup and restore, I found it valuable when doing programming

etc.

If you look at the Apple support pages you will see lots of people with issues with real Mac's , most of which haven't

affected me, so I don't think there is an ideal answer, however with a real Mac, if all else fails you can always take

it to a genius to fix it!

steve

PS No one forces you to accept upgrades so once you get a stable system you could always wait for others to

iron out issues before you upgrade.

I have just hackintoshed for the first time on a:

intel core i7 2.8ghz

GA-EX58-UD5 Mobo

Nvidia 260GTX

SL 10.6.1

It worked perfectly, after downloading a few programs etc I went about changing my resolution to 1200x1024.(Old CRT Monitor) The second I clicked on the higher or lower resolution my whole screen turned a light blue. (Not like a Blue Screen Of Death blue) And I couldn't do anything. I re-installed and same thing when I try to change the resolution my whole screen turns blue. I opened my HD on my macbook and removed displaypane.pref from the preferencepanes folder resetting the resolution to 1024x728. And voila, I could see the desktop again.

I don't know if this is a gfx card problem or software? In "about this mac" It recognizes my 260GTX card perfectly and the 1gb of ddr5 ram.

Any suggestions or comments?

Has this happened to you?

Is this were I should be asking?

If I am not clear please specify. ;)

Thanks,

Applesex

I have just hackintoshed for the first time on a:

intel core i7 2.8ghz

GA-EX58-UD5 Mobo

Nvidia 260GTX

SL 10.6.1

It worked perfectly, after downloading a few programs etc I went about changing my resolution to 1200x1024.(Old CRT Monitor) The second I clicked on the higher or lower resolution my whole screen turned a light blue. (Not like a Blue Screen Of Death blue) And I couldn't do anything. I re-installed and same thing when I try to change the resolution my whole screen turns blue. I opened my HD on my macbook and removed displaypane.pref from the preferencepanes folder resetting the resolution to 1024x728. And voila, I could see the desktop again.

I don't know if this is a gfx card problem or software? In "about this mac" It recognizes my 260GTX card perfectly and the 1gb of ddr5 ram.

Any suggestions or comments?

Has this happened to you?

Is this were I should be asking?

If I am not clear please specify. :)

Thanks,

Applesex

Yeah first time I booted I got the blue screen, but after a hard boot it was fine. That was with a GTX 275

Hi all,

I've been running OS X 10.6.1 in 64-bit mode flawlessly for a while now. Read everything here, did the update, updated to the sleepenabler.kext linked here, everything seems to work, except deep sleep. If I let it sleep for a couple of hours it's OK, but sleeping overnight will cause the screen to stay black after wake.

I read I must enable "startup automatically after power failure" option in the power savings panel, but that option is not showup for me. All I see is the two sliders and these two options:

"Put the hard disks to sleep...."

"Allow power button to put computer to sleep"

Is the kext not loading correctly? Any suggestions?

PS. In case it helps, my installed kexts are:

1) AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext 2.5.1 x86_64 280K /Extra

2) IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext 1.1.1 N/A 4K /Extra

3) JMicronATA.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 180K /Extra

Audio

4) VoodooHDA.kext 0.2.1 x86_64 524K /System

Graphics

(No files present to install)

Networking

5) RealtekR1000.kext 1.8.1 x86_64 204K /Extra

Misc Patches

6) fakesmc.kext 2 x86_64 128K /Extra

7) NullCPUPowerManagement.kext 1.0.0d2 x86_64 116K /System

8) OpenHaltRestart.kext 1.0.3 x86_64 100K /Extra

9) PlatformUUID.kext 1.0.0 x86_64 104K /Extra

10) SleepEnabler.kext 1.0.1 x86_64 76K /System

Hi all,

I've been running OS X 10.6.1 in 64-bit mode flawlessly for a while now. Read everything here, did the update, updated to the sleepenabler.kext linked here, everything seems to work, except deep sleep. If I let it sleep for a couple of hours it's OK, but sleeping overnight will cause the screen to stay black after wake.

Is the kext not loading correctly? Any suggestions?

PS. In case it helps, my installed kexts are:

Networking

5) RealtekR1000.kext 1.8.1 x86_64 204K /Extra

Try the KEXT version in this post, as this is a later version. Other than that your setup seems fine!

MAJ

here is a LegacyHDA whats should be used in EVGA x58 SLI Mobo the one in your script doesnt work.Use the one I attached in /Extra/Extension and rebuild mkext using kext utility 2.3.2

note you will need to patch your dsdt.aml with the following and should have stock applehda.kext in /S/L/E

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10

},

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

Confirmed working on both of my mobo's and few people in forums.

EVGA_x58_SL_LegacyHDA.kext.zip

What do you call mission critical - 99.999% availability! I don't think you can get AppleCare on a hack :D

I currently run with FakeSMC and EvoReboot as my only two required kexts - you need FakeSMC or similar so

there is no getting around that. You could get the dual Lan apple GigE card card for $199 and the Mac Radeon

4870. However I've overclocked, updated and tested my system with prime95 and found it to be stable

with everything working , what are you planning to do that will break your setup? Personally I just use a

reference model 4870 and it works fine for me.

I do also use the onboard Lan ports on the UD5 with the new 64bit Realtek kext and haven't had any problems.

I guess the closer you stick to Mac Pro spec the safer you will be so I think a mix of Apple parts and 3rd party

versions is then best you can get

I would get a TimeCapsule or something similar for backup and restore, I found it valuable when doing programming

etc.

If you look at the Apple support pages you will see lots of people with issues with real Mac's , most of which haven't

affected me, so I don't think there is an ideal answer, however with a real Mac, if all else fails you can always take

it to a genius to fix it!

steve

PS No one forces you to accept upgrades so once you get a stable system you could always wait for others to

iron out issues before you upgrade.

Thanks Steve for the reply!

- Absolutely right - no hacked AppleCare here! :P

- Sure I could grab a nice PC 4870 for the price of the Mac 3870 - about 40% better 3D Mark bench but I don't game so at this newbie point I would like to establish a "works no matter what" baseline before venturing into more hacking even if it's a pretty simple hack for the 4870.

- I did check out the Apple Dual GbE; it doesn't fit my spacing and slot needs and I don't know that I need two full GbE ports at this point. I could always add a USB ethernet port should I want to separate networking and internet access for example.

- I do use Carbon Copy Cloner currently, so I am good on the imaging side.

- Absolutely right, I don't need to rush into any software update - I avoid that even with my MBP!

Questions, questions...

So when you talk about Fake SMC and Evo Reboot as absolute minimums, do you kind of confirm (while all the risk is mine of course) that using those out of box Mac ready products would fast forward me to the "just works" realm for those parts; even when on a hacked motherboard?

When you say: "I guess the closer you stick to Mac Pro spec the safer you will be so I think a mix of Apple parts and 3rd party versions" do you mean chipset model equivalency? This points to something I actually haven't fully understood. Apple does sell a 4870 card that would "just work"; but it seems that if you go for a PC 4870, you have to do some kext work, some injection etc. Same for LAN; even if there is chipset model equivalency, it seems you need to do driver work. So I get that there is a benefit in going for equivalency but that in itself only eases the problems right? My approach / hope is to get "for Mac" products and minimize driver work - do you think / know / guess that this would be viable as well?

Best,

Krofa.

P.S. I've already started reading more and more about the works - EFI, DSDT, Chameleon, PC EFI etc etc... Seems the gods of geekery just won't let me be :D I'm still warm to the idea of having a bunch of "just works" controllers though - they are like those trusted devices that Windows would recognize no matter what - great for future troubleshooting if nothing else...

Has anyone had issues with any of the sleepenablers?

I got the main side working really solid up to 10.6.1 then I clone it and test on another partition. When I go through the steps with the new sleepenabler it will never boot. I have done many variations as well with it.

So I ask where do I put the new sleepenabler before the install? I have put it in the /extras folder and rebuilt the cache, I've deleted it from there and put it in the main system extensions and various other random ways. I even dropped it in DD kext folder and ran the script and installed straight to the partition. Always seems to hang on the sleepenabler.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

I am on a UD3R board but up to this point it has been minor kext swaps to get everything right.

Chameleon 2 RC3 is what I am using as well.

Hey guys,

Got a little problem after updating to 10.6.2. My graphics card (evga 9800 GTX+) doesn't seem to work properly. It doesn't work with any dvi-hdmi connections anymore. dvi-vga works fine, but is a little messed up in 1920x1080 (off center and looks like its 4:3). I was using the 9800GTX EFI string but have also tried a couple different kexts to no avail (still need to try the Nvidia.rom method). Other people (link) appear to be experiencing the same problem. Just wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions??

Thanks

DarkD

Thanks Steve for the reply!

- Absolutely right - no hacked AppleCare here! :D

- Sure I could grab a nice PC 4870 for the price of the Mac 3870 - about 40% better 3D Mark bench but I don't game so at this newbie point I would like to establish a "works no matter what" baseline before venturing into more hacking even if it's a pretty simple hack for the 4870.

- I did check out the Apple Dual GbE; it doesn't fit my spacing and slot needs and I don't know that I need two full GbE ports at this point. I could always add a USB ethernet port should I want to separate networking and internet access for example.

- I do use Carbon Copy Cloner currently, so I am good on the imaging side.

- Absolutely right, I don't need to rush into any software update - I avoid that even with my MBP!

Questions, questions...

So when you talk about Fake SMC and Evo Reboot as absolute minimums, do you kind of confirm (while all the risk is mine of course) that using those out of box Mac ready products would fast forward me to the "just works" realm for those parts; even when on a hacked motherboard?

When you say: "I guess the closer you stick to Mac Pro spec the safer you will be so I think a mix of Apple parts and 3rd party versions" do you mean chipset model equivalency? This points to something I actually haven't fully understood. Apple does sell a 4870 card that would "just work"; but it seems that if you go for a PC 4870, you have to do some kext work, some injection etc. Same for LAN; even if there is chipset model equivalency, it seems you need to do driver work. So I get that there is a benefit in going for equivalency but that in itself only eases the problems right? My approach / hope is to get "for Mac" products and minimize driver work - do you think / know / guess that this would be viable as well?

Best,

Krofa.

P.S. I've already started reading more and more about the works - EFI, DSDT, Chameleon, PC EFI etc etc... Seems the gods of geekery just won't let me be :D I'm still warm to the idea of having a bunch of "just works" controllers though - they are like those trusted devices that Windows would recognize no matter what - great for future troubleshooting if nothing else...

I must admit when I was building I did think should I just get the Apple Lan cards and GPU but decided it was on

the expensive side. Personally I chose good motherboard & cpu as the basis for my system and got the cheapest

gpu that people quoted working (old nvidia 8400). From that basis I spent several months getting to grips with

kexts etc. It was probably made easier by the fact that I had about 10 yrs past experience working with different

corporate level unix mainframes down to firmware level but it was nearly 8 yrs since I last touched a unix box.

Having learned the basics I started to work things out for myself and upgraded to a 4870. I don't know as I haven't

tried but I would assume the apple card would work out of the box since there is an apple kext for it in /S/L/E

Yes I do mean chip set equivalence. So far as the pc 4870 goes it just involves running pc efi 10.5 boot file which which you need anyway (it just replaces chameleon RC3 boot file) and it should provide support for the reference (red)

versions of the 4870 easily enough (avoid the blue non reference versions as you are more likely to have trouble

with them)

I use EvoReboot.kext but many others use the older OpenHaltRestart.kext (does the same thing) I read somewhere

that it can be replaced by a DSDT fix (a kind of personalised compiled boot config file) but I lost the reference.

I'm still curious as to understand what you will do to break things (If you tweak - make a note of what you did so you can rollback if need be)

For LAN just download the latest Realtek lan kext from here and put it in /S/L/E etc. DD has even written a script to

do most of the work for you. Coming from a science/engineering background I preferred to do everything by

hand so I get a better understanding of the low level process, but thats just me

steve