[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

I still need to pick out a power supply and RAM, there's bazillions of different options. This computer will be used for all of the normal stuff as well as creating and processing audio files and possibly one day Photoshop.

Cheers!

I woud not skimp on the power supply. Having a clean power signal is really helpful for overclocking success and system stability. I have a cooler master UCP RS700 and its awesome.

For ram I'd get gskill, corsair, or ocz. Jus tdo yourself a favor and get ddr3 1600.

Lastly, make sure NOT to use the stock cpu cooler.

I have been able to clock my i920 to 3.8gz at stock temps. The system has been 100% stable here for 6 months. I bet I could even clock it further but I'm satisfied and just decided to stop there. My geekbench is 13,300. So again get a good power supply, ram, and cpu cooler.

New issue....

I always get a KP after wake up from sleep...

A few seconds after wake up by moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard or going to prefrences...KP!

Any fix?

You didn't explain what you mean by `the SMC plugin hack', but I assume you are referring to fakesmc.kext.

Yes, you need to use fakesmc.kext, as it functionally does on non Apple hardware what the smc chip does on Apple hardware.

The firewire message is cosmetic, it doesn't affect functioning or sleep.

d00d,

I don't speak about fakesmc.kext....

It's the SMC_Platform_Plugin

You can read it here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=532

And no the firewire message is NOT cosmetic. It's really an issue....

For ram I'd get gskill, corsair, or ocz. Jus tdo yourself a favor and get ddr3 1600.

If I get DDR3 1600 aren't I limited to only 3 chips on the UD5? I was going to eventually go with 6 1333 mhz chips.

Also, I'm not too interested in overclocking right off the bat. No matter what I do this computer is going to be a huge improvement over my little 2007 Macbook. Is there any reason I couldn't start with the stock cpu cooler and upgrade later if I decide to overclock it?

Thanks!

New issue....

I always get a KP after wake up from sleep...

A few seconds after wake up by moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard or going to prefrences...KP!

Any fix?

Fix the DSDT so that AppleHPET.kext loads, I explained this in post 818.

Also, make sure you are using Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 along with netkas's PCEFIV10.5 boot file.

I don't speak about fakesmc.kext....

It's the SMC_Platform_Plugin

You can read it here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=532

The `SMC plugin hack' is MP41SpeedStepFix.kext?

Yes, that will give you SpeedStep.

And no the firewire message is NOT cosmetic. It's really an issue....
Explain.

Fix the DSDT so that AppleHPET.kext loads, I explained this in post 818.

Also, make sure you are using Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 along with netkas's PCEFIV10.5 boot file.

The `SMC plugin hack' is MP41SpeedStepFix.kext?

Yes, that will give you SpeedStep.

Explain.

I can't use my audio interface in Logic properly.

I get sound distortion and glitches

With plugged audio interface the boot time is the twice or more.....

I already tried an other firewire pci express card ( from Sonnet )!

Always the same error:

"FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

I can't use my audio interface in Logic properly.

I get sound distortion and glitches

With plugged audio interface the boot time is the twice or more.....

I already tried an other firewire pci express card ( from Sonnet )!

Always the same error:

"FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

Try removing the IRQ from the PIC device in your DSDT.

I woud not skimp on the power supply. Having a clean power signal is really helpful for overclocking success and system stability. I have a cooler master UCP RS700 and its awesome.

I have been able to clock my i920 to 3.8gz at stock temps. The system has been 100% stable here for 6 months. I bet I could even clock it further but I'm satisfied and just decided to stop there. My geekbench is 13,300. So again get a good power supply, ram, and cpu cooler.

Would you be willing to share your "how to" for overclocking? I'm still trying to find a stable OC.

Cheers,

JA

Is this true? I'm getting ready to add 6 gb more to my UD5.

I believe that the UD5 supports 24GB (6x4Gb) but the only 4GB RAM I saw was extremely expensive. I have 12GB

but you may find o/c 12Gb harder. I was getting boot failures with a memory multiplier of 8 when o/c. I generally

stick to multiplier of 6. (There maybe a way round this but I don't know it)

In the real world I found it quite difficult to utilise much more than 6GB

Happy to hear that Emilo. Most patched DSDT's I have used never enabled 100% sleep function for my machine or I always ended up with Kernel panics upon wake, thats why I leave it unpacted :thumbsup_anim:

CruiSAr,

The key to you method seems to be two things:

- use of EFI strings (there is KP after awake when only GraphicEnabler is used with unpatched DSDT)

- not using Device (Lan) in DSDT (couldn't get much to work properly if present)

Does Time Machine work with your method ?

Do you get USB Device Eject Error on awake with USB drive/stick plugged-in and left with computer to sleep ?

CruiSAr,

- use of EFI strings (there is KP after awake when GraphicEnabler is used with unpatched DSDT)

- not using Device (Lan) in DSDT (couldn't get much to work properly if present)

Do you get USB Device Eject Error on awake with USB drive/stick plugged-in and left with computer to sleep ?

Emilo - I can confirm that Time Machine works and that the USB Device Eject Error does *not* occur.

Hi, guys,

Has anyone here succeeded in sleep and wake up with EX58-UD5 MB in SL?

Course i can't wake up, the fan run at a high speed, monitor is off,

the only thing i can do is reboot or shut down.

Use my kext setup and everything should be fine. Just click on the link in my signature.

CruiSAr,

- use of EFI strings (there is KP after awake when GraphicEnabler is used with unpatched DSDT)

Emilo,

I actually have graphics enabaler and ethernetBuiltin in my boot.plist and I have never gotten a KP with my setup but I guess this is because my setup is not using them.

Like Obiwantje confirmed, everything works, no errors whatsoever. I used time machine to restore my documents and downloads folder

Use my kext setup and everything should be fine. Just click on the link in my signature.

Emilo,

I actually have graphics enabaler and ethernetBuiltin in my boot.plist and I have never gotten a KP with my setup but I guess this is because my setup is not using them.

Like Obiwantje confirmed, everything works, no errors whatsoever. I used time machine to restore my documents and downloads folder

Thanks CruiSAr, the Trust BT dongle did the trick, MM works straight away after waking from sleep

(I was orginally able to wake up by BT mouse when I did the original install but after a bit of messing about I

broke that feature, still its good enough

regards

Steve

Emilo,

Thank you guys,

I used CruiSAr's method and everything except sound is working great for me. I thought I had installed VoodooHDA.kext but no sound devices show up. When I look at the log, I have this:

VoodooHDA.kext does not match OSBundleRequired conditions; omitting from mkext.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

You can use Apple's own MacBook 32/64bit Airport N mini card with MP2W-2458 or MP2W-2400 adapter.

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-Airport-...1018136002r6149

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/MP2W.html

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-co...QAdIdZ160083062

It fits perfectly in short and hard to use (because of the heat sink) PCIE x1 slot on the motherboard.

I actually bought the MP2W-2458 adaptor with that airport card you linked to on ebay. Plugged it in (fits like a glove) but doesn't show up in system profiler and I can't add a new wireless network connection in preferences. I was assuming it would work natively, but is there a kext that should go along with this or that should be removed? Does it need a USB line to the mobo?

PS thanks for your help in getting my system running emilo, those clarifications were perfect and it's running great, everything except this airport card and sleep wake.

I used CruiSAr's method and everything except sound is working great for me. I thought I had installed VoodooHDA.kext but no sound devices show up. When I look at the log, I have this:

VoodooHDA.kext does not match OSBundleRequired conditions; omitting from mkext.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I think the voodoohda kext isn't being loaded into your extensions.mkext, delete it from S/L/E, repair permissions using kext utility or disk utility and install the kext again. Are you using DD's installer? If yes run options 9 and 10 and then install voodooHda kext to S/L/E

I actually bought the MP2W-2458 adaptor with that airport card you linked to on ebay. Plugged it in (fits like a glove) but doesn't show up in system profiler and I can't add a new wireless network connection in preferences. I was assuming it would work natively, but is there a kext that should go along with this or that should be removed? Does it need a USB line to the mobo?

PS thanks for your help in getting my system running emilo, those clarifications were perfect and it's running great, everything except this airport card and sleep wake.

akindy,

Do you have EthernetBuiltin=yes present in boot.plist ?

This is Apple's own airport card and works natively without any additional kexts.

Beyond being plugged to PCI-Ex1 port on the mobo, it doesn't need any additional connections.

1. For now you will will be able to use this card in 32bit mode only.

This card is 64bit capable but Apple didn't release 64bit drivers for any of its Airport products yet.

Supposedly they are included in 10.6.2 update: http://netkas.org/?p=279.

2. For sleep to work properly you should:

- keep NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /S/L/E

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked in Energy Saver preferences.

3. If sleep still won't work, delete: /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.applePowerManagament.plist

then,

- reboot and move two sliders inside EnergySaver preferences to desired positions.

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked.

- reboot with -s and update caches with buildcache commannd.

Also check my install Post #661 as it has been updated with new fixes.

- make sure that "Start up automatically after power failure" is checked in Energy Saver preferences.

Any idea why this is not showing up as an option in my Energy Saver prefs? I only get the "hard drive sleep" and "power button sleep" options.