[GUIDE] Retail OS X Install (10.5.8) on Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 (Core i7) Mobo

digital_dreamer

3,054 posts in this topic

Hello - First - AMAZING GUIDE & script!

I bought the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 because of this guide!!!!

I followed the instructions:

installed a KALYWAY 10.5.2 Distro on 1 physical HDD to use as a base for a proper clean install on a second physical HDD.

followed the script including the install of a RETAIL LEO 10.5.6

chose Chameleon v2.0 RC1

set target partition as active

Ran DSDT patcher

All went smoothly - I finished all 1-7 steps.

Rebooted.

The nice chameloen loaded!

But when I chose to boot from the new HDD It immidiatly restarted the machine!

So I tried to load my previus KALYWAY from Chameleon boot menu on the first HDD and the same happend.

but when I tried to choose in the BIOS to boot from my first Kalyway HDD - the kalyway distro worked.

So what do you think is the problem?

Also I'm not sure I set the bios correctly.

I Set the bios to AHCI like in here:

Integrated-Peripherals.gif

But maybe there are other options to change in the BIOS?

I heard somewhere that i7 MOBOs needs to change the CPU's cores to = 1 or something?

Maybe something with "Flags"

but then again why did my 10.5.2 kalyway worked?

Hello - First - AMAZING GUIDE & script!

I bought the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 because of this guide!!!!

I followed the instructions:

installed a KALYWAY 10.5.2 Distro on 1 physical HDD to use as a base for a proper clean install on a second physical HDD.

chose Chameleon v2.0 RC1

set target partition as active

Ran DSDT patcher

All went smoothly - I finished all 1-7 steps.

Rebooted.

The nice chameloen loaded!

But when I chose to boot from the new HDD It immidiatly restarted the machine!

In BIOS set the drive with Mac OS as the first boot HD. Boot and when the Chameleon appears and you see the countdown bar press the space bar. Then type "busratio=20 -v -f" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Apparently you did not upgrade to 10.5.7 somewhere during the process. In 10.5.6 the boot flag busratio=20 must be entered to stop the rebooting. Download and install the 10.5.7 upgrade and you should not have to enter that boot flag.

In BIOS set the drive with Mac OS as the first boot HD. Boot and when the Chameleon appears and you see the countdown bar press the space bar. Then type "busratio=20 -v -f" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

Apparently you did not upgrade to 10.5.7 somewhere during the process. In 10.5.6 the boot flag busratio=20 must be entered to stop the rebooting. Download and install the 10.5.7 upgrade and you should not have to enter that boot flag.

Thank you so much for answering so fast!

Yes I didn't install the 10.5.7 upgrade (I didn't understand how) and I didn't think it will matter.

I tried to type "busratio=20 -v -f" it started running a lot of lines very fast.

but at some point it restarted again.

I have working kalyway 10.5.2 in this machine - can I somehow access the 10.5.6 install and find a boot log file that I can post? Will it help?

I don't mind doing the hole procedure again and install the 10.5.7 update - is there a special distro I should Dload?? or just the official one?

One more thing that might help:

I tried to insert the iAtkos 7 10.5.7 Disro - and soon as I press anykey to run the disk it restarts in the same matter - so I don't even get to the setup screen.

Boot into your Kalway install. Download from Apple the 10.5.7 update. Open the update and install on the 10.5.6 HD. From Kalway open DDs script (the script should be one of the 3.x ones not 4.x) and run the kext update function.

Set the Mac OS for boot and enter -v -f at the boot prompt (space bar at countdown bar).

There should be a lot of text scroll by on the screen. If it stops make a note of what is the last few lines on the screen, otherwise it should boot into MacOS.

Using 10.5.6 original, Mobo patch installer 3.7

hmmm. Something had changed system-wise.

But, I can't tell from the kp log what that is. It's related to the SATA drives. It seems you using the GA/JMicron SATA ports. What do you have on those ports? I'd turn the Gigabyte/JMB322 SATA controller off and try to work without it, using the Intel SATA ports instead (blue/green), if at all possible.

The main reason this install failed is because of using 10.5.6.

10.5.7 represents a major update for us Core i7 users in that it allows us to use the vanilla kernel (It's the first update that works with Apple's new Nephalem-based Mac Pros). The script is currently set up to NOT install a modified kernel by default, assuming you would be running 10.5.7.

If, however, you want to run 10.5.6, then you would need to install a modified kernel and System.kext, like the Voodoo-based 9.6.0 kernel. That's simply a matter of extracting both files from the parent "Kernels/_Voodoo_9.6.0" folder and letting it reside directly in /Kernels. Then, run the Kext Installer again for the install.

But, my suggestion is to install 10.5.7, instead, as that is uniquely designed for our systems and you can run the Apple-supplied kernel.

You're almost there!

best regards,

MAJ

EDIT: I might mention also, like the others have said, that most of the distros use a modified kernel in order to boot most systems. On our Core i7 systems, this requires a "busratio=20" flag (without the quotes), either at the boot prompt or within the kernel flags string in the boot.plist itself.

Hello All-

I recently started to put together a computer and am waiting on the CPU to finally fire it up.

I followed the guide and installed the HD into my case, but am concerned about one thing:

Instead of using the 10.5.7 combo updater, I rocked the 10.5.8 updater. I noticed that in the previous few pages (since the release of 10.5.8), there have been some users who have had trouble upgrading to point eight, but none who have had trouble installing on a clean hard drive using the most up to date combo update.

Is this because everyone who has built a system since the release of 10.5.8 has used the 10.5.7 combo updater or is it because 10.5.8 works fine on clean installs?

Should I pull the HD out of my system and install 10.5.7 instead? Should I wait and see what happens?

Thank you kindly for your time.

Narayana, if you want a fully working system you have to stay with 10.5.7 at the moment. Just follow DDs script.

If you are applying 10.5.8 you are getting also a running system with 2 issues:

1. Sleep does not work (there is no fix yet)

2. Sound will not work (AppleHDA has changed and the legacy kexts DD is using are not yet updated) but you can get working sound with patching DSDT manually (look at my post Sound Solutions for Snow Leopard some pages back)

Hi Vash82,

I had the same issue (with a Gigabyte 4850 1Gb) on 10.5.7 installed following this guide. I fixed it by installing the Natit.pkg from Netkas.org, as well as the patched framebuffers. See http://netkas.org/?p=101 for how to obtain them via IRC.

I however still have problems with sleep - upon waking up the screen is garbled. There might be other solutions now that also work with sleep - I'd be keen to know.

Hey mate,

Thank you for the suggestion I gave it a go but still no luck. Can you please go into a bit more detail of how you got yours working.

I used the following

natit.kext

the natit package

the patched frame buffers

Also what port/s are you using for your display.

Hey guys :(,

This is my configuration:

GA-ex58-ud5

core i7-920

6GB DDR3 ram

AND

an XFX RADEON 4870 1 GB card...

Does anybody have a similar configuration with this card and can tell me it works? Because i've read a lot that XFX cards aren't the best for a hackintosh...

Narayana, if you want a fully working system you have to stay with 10.5.7 at the moment

Thank you aschar1, I will run in 10.5.7 for now. I didn't notice much of a difference anyway in 10.5.8 on either my MacBook or Dell Mini 9.

Now if only that i7 920 would come in, I could have some fun...

I just update to 10.5.8 and got everything to work except audio. The weird thing is the audio device shows up under hardware but it under the sound settings in system preferences it tells me I have no audio device. I do have an EVGA board but I was able to get everything to work with dd's script. Anyone else having audio problems

I just update to 10.5.8 and got everything to work except audio. The weird thing is the audio device shows up under hardware but it under the sound settings in system preferences it tells me I have no audio device. I do have an EVGA board but I was able to get everything to work with dd's script. Anyone else having audio problems

Reinstall all audio kext and u should b fine. i did the update lastnite and just had to reinstall all kext using kexthelper and everyting was back to normal.

I updated to 10.5.8 a couple of days ago and everything was working fine then I decided to apply for the starcraft 2 beta which requires running a little app to check what hardware your using.

So I run the app and it shows the 2400 that I'm using to run dual monitors in windows as my graphics card rather than my 4890. So I thought I'd make it report my 4890 by booting with the 2400 Pro taken out but then I get a greyscreen during the boot process.

Now every time I try to boot into Mac OS X I get a grey screen about 10 seconds into the Mac Boot Screen. I can boot into Windows fine and into Safe Mode on Mac OS X but can't get through a normal boot.

I tried replacing the 2400, rerunning the 10.5.8 installer along with natit and 4890 CE_CI for 10.5.8 but none of those things have allowed me to run a normal boot.

Reinstall all audio kext and u should b fine. i did the update lastnite and just had to reinstall all kext using kexthelper and everyting was back to normal.

That's my experience also. Currently I'm not using Digital Dreamers script, I simply have manually copied my kexts to the default directory for kexts (/System/Library/Extensions). I like to do things this way, because I wan't to understand what parts of the vanilla OS needs to be changed and why in order to run OS X on a hackintosh.

Here is my 10.5.8 upgrade procedure:

1. I booted with a secondary hard disk that I use for installing OS X and then installed 10.5.8 combo update on my main hard disk (which had 10.5.6 installation with vanilla kernel 9.6.3).

2. Copied all my kexts to (main hard disk)/System/Library/Extensions

3. Gave the commands: chown -R root:wheel * ; chmod -R 755 * in the directory (main hard disk)/System/Library/Extensions

4. Deleted (main hard disk)/System/Library/Extensions.mkext

5. Shut down the computer, removed secondary hard disk, booted up with the main hard disk

6. Ran system update and downloaded all updates (iTunes, iLife, Java, etc)

7. Rebooted

After four days of usage I have no problems, everything works just as it did before the upgrade, even audio. (I use the spdif out. I do not have anything connected to the Jmicron Sata ports).

The main reason this install failed is because of using 10.5.6.

10.5.7 represents a major update for us Core i7 users in that it allows us to use the vanilla kernel (It's the first update that works with Apple's new Nephalem-based Mac Pros). The script is currently set up to NOT install a modified kernel by default, assuming you would be running 10.5.7.

If, however, you want to run 10.5.6, then you would need to install a modified kernel and System.kext, like the Voodoo-based 9.6.0 kernel. That's simply a matter of extracting both files from the parent "Kernels/_Voodoo_9.6.0" folder and letting it reside directly in /Kernels. Then, run the Kext Installer again for the install.

But, my suggestion is to install 10.5.7, instead, as that is uniquely designed for our systems and you can run the Apple-supplied kernel.

You're almost there!

best regards,

MAJ

EDIT: I might mention also, like the others have said, that most of the distros use a modified kernel in order to boot most systems. On our Core i7 systems, this requires a "busratio=20" flag (without the quotes), either at the boot prompt or within the kernel flags string in the boot.plist itself.

Thank you very much DD! ;)

I installed the 10.5.7 Combo update after installing 10.5.6 Retail.

And managed to get into Brand new 10.5.7 OSX!

The only thing I didnt install is a Graphics KEXT.

because I want to use Netkas's solution for 2xx series

For the card download this enabler from netkas

http://rapidshare.de/files/47461448/Enable..._cards.pkg.html

Then download this driver from EVGA

http://rapidshare.de/files/47522089/NVIDIA...6.mpkg.zip.html

Note: Install Enabler then the Driver before rebooting.

Installed and rebooted BOOM works great!

I'm going to try to run it a bit to see what works.

So far far works:

Sleep\wake, 2 DVI mons, QE-Ci works!

Things that are maybe not:

In "about this Mac" I get 3.2GHz - even though its a i7 920 at stock speed (2.66GHz)

Also for some reason the CPU cooler is very fast and loud (Zalman CNPS9500 92mm for 1366 I7 CPU Cooler)

I'm not sure its a osx86 issue - because I didn't run windows on this rig yet - so I cant compare.

Also I'm thinking of trying to make onboard RAID0 for 2 more HDD see if it will work and OSX will recognize it.

What about the new release of the Chameleon RC2 - I read that it supports Hardware RAID.

Can you integrate it into your AMAZING script?!

Is there anybody who runs onboard RAID with the GA-X58-UD5?

I want to benchmark this system to see if it operates like it should (CPU perfomence, HDD speeds, GPU\OpenGL tests etc)

Can you recommend a proper Benchmark\Testing software?

Also I wanted to show my gratitude by donating you - Im sure you worked a lot for this script to work.

I bought this Mobo because I saw this thread and your script, and suggested it to my colleague as well.

Is there a way to DONATE? :wacko:

Hey guys :wacko: ,

GA-ex58-ud5

core i7-920

6GB DDR3 ram

AND

Does anybody have a similar configuration with this card and can tell me it works? Because i've read a lot that XFX cards aren't the best for a hackintosh...

Hey guys :( ,

GA-ex58-ud5

core i7-920

6GB DDR3 ram

AND

I have the identical system, except the ex58-ud4p and it works perfectly. I have never used a mac until 5 days ago and a big thank you to DD. Everything worked perfectly first time.

The card as far as I can tell works perfectly. But the card is a sapphire, but same specs and all.

If I could beg for help now, the only thing that does not work is sleep, because the extra 2 boxes in energy savings settings are missing, i did not update to 10.5.8 so that is not it.

I am completely new at this , so any help must be given step by step, as if you are talking to a 4 year old.

I read the instructions on how to use the dsht override and it is Martian to me.

It is hard to start when you really have no idea.

Managed a few things like altering the plists, but thats about it.

Again thank you DD, and I used an efix chip to build a mac so i could build a core I7 Mac.

Your system is 200 cheaper and way better.

The efix won't even support an I7.

My CPU fan ran fast as well until I flashed to the latest beta BIOS - get here:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

I got this sorted out already.

apparently the F7 Bios in the starter topic messed my mobo around.

I just dloaded the new F8 Bios from GigaBYTE's site - Now every thing is working great!

Thanks anyway!!!

DD: you can update it if you want in your tutorial.

I am running 10.5.8 just fine. I did the update via Software Update...rebooted and all is well. I didn't have to change any settings and the OS and all other apps are running smoothly. I updated Logic Studio from 8 to 9 and everything went perfectly. I have no System Audio. I use firewire outboard system for audio recording so I don't need audio and find it would be time and energy wasted since I have audio solution in place.

I am concerned with the temp of the CPU. I don't know whether this forum is appropriate or not for i7 CPU questions. But, if it it is please reply.

I OC'ed to 3.1 and saw 74c average idle temps using Temperature Monitor. I haven't done any complex OC'ing and frankly don't know much about it. With the settings back to 2.66ghz I am idling at 50c. Is this normal?

I am using F7 bios. I plan on updating to F8 shortly.

Thanks

I am running 10.5.8 just fine. I did the update via Software Update...rebooted and all is well. I didn't have to change any settings and the OS and all other apps are running smoothly. I updated Logic Studio from 8 to 9 and everything went perfectly. I have no System Audio. I use firewire outboard system for audio recording so I don't need audio and find it would be time and energy wasted since I have audio solution in place.

I am concerned with the temp of the CPU. I don't know whether this forum is appropriate or not for i7 CPU questions. But, if it it is please reply.

I OC'ed to 3.1 and saw 74c average idle temps using Temperature Monitor. I haven't done any complex OC'ing and frankly don't know much about it. With the settings back to 2.66ghz I am idling at 50c. Is this normal?

I am using F7 bios. I plan on updating to F8 shortly.

Thanks

I'm overclocked to 3.8ghz and have idle temps of around 50c... Using a noctua cooler and several noctua fans inside the case for airflow. I wonder if you put too much thermal paste on your cpu when you installed the cooler. Supposedly you only need a razor thin layer of thermal paste and using too much actually creates an insulating barrier preventing the heatsink from pulling the heat off the top of the cpu... Just a thought. In any case your temps are higher than they should be for such a mild overclock.