omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL

omni

163 posts in this topic

He's probably talking about using MouseLocator, a better method than Mouseposé (at least for me), free and unibin. The (minor) problem is that mouse arrow doesn't disappear when changing to cursor when there is a text input. But hey, there's no tearing!

Take a look at the mouse tearing thread @ genious bar for links and instructions. The shadowed cursor works better for me.

People need to start reading more and start posting less. A lot of these quesitons (not all) are just plain stupid or have been asked many times before.

"Will my card work with the driver?" If you used common sense, you would know there is no way to predict that untill omni releases his driver, and he will do that when he feels like it should be released. The same people saying release it now will prolly be the same ones saying: "it doesnt work for me, you suck omni!"

And ffs guys/girls, just use the search first. If you don't find results, search again. And again. You will fid results. Then start thinking about posting. If you do post, try to make it look like it has all the information about your question/problem.

Next question, "why does JaS have the driver and I don't?" Even though I don't know them, I did read that JaS is helping omni with the driver. SO in order to help, he would need a version of the driver. JaS is probably more able to handle problems that occur with driver development that most of us forum whores do. We will get it when the testing/devving gurus like omni and JaS think the driver is ready for us. Again, he will do that when he feels like it should be released.

/just made this post because I have a feeling that there will be lots and lotsa posts with the same thing asked over and over again.. :/

I've posted this earlier but I'll repeat myself again. I want to add proper monitor detection (or at least *some* detection) so that your CRT's flyback transformers do not get fried by some freakish accident (like having a 300Hz vertical refresh). If that's not reason enough for you, then what else can be (or you feel like buying a new monitor?) :)

Also, I will try to implement hardware cursor to the driver in hope that it will rectify the problem of tearing or at least make it less pronounced. Whether that will help or not - I do not know, we'll see when I get it working - IF I do.

u'r right OMNI even if i own a LCD (like most of us no?), i understand that for the rest of guys having a fried monitor trying to fix a video driver issue it's BAD...i only wish that after this fixed we will enjoy it :)

great work and thanx u for trying to disable this mouse tearing ! cheers!

Well I want to openly thank omni and JaS, mostly omni since he has done the leg work. I will also thank everyone that has had apart of this project and trying to get proper video support in os x on pc's. It kinda feels like early linux days, :)

Well, omni, I know that youre trying to get proper monitor detection implimented so that your driver doesnt fry anyones monitors (crt only i take it) but have you thought about introducing the driver to people that want to test it that have lcd monitors? I have a nice new 2005fpw from dell, and Id be more than willing to test out your driver to see if it works with my x1800xl, which I have discussed with you through PM. Even still, I am no average user, and am going to write my own driver if none work (like yours) with my hardware setup. This is not to say I dont appreciate your work, but quite the contrary, I just want to run native resolution. It has become my mission, and I will do what I have to to make it work.

I wish that made more sense, I am pretty tired as Ive spent alot of the time Im supposed to be sleeping working on some drivers. Bleh

Anyways, thanks for your hard work, and I hope it works for at least half the people, that would rock, and would really make this scene more enjoyable Id say. Less "but why doesnt my video card work?"

Peace, and to everyone else that are impatient, I want video to work as well, but instead of bugging someone that owes me nothing, Im working on my own to figure it out, just in case it doesnt work for me. Maybe people should learn how to be self reliant instead of being needy. :) Just my thoughts.

Maybe its time for a nap.

But... but... but...

Only one thing onmi: please release the driver when you get detection working and don't torture us until you also fix the mouse tearing...

I don't think my heart can take the stress of waiting for much longer :) .

And truth be told, I can't wait to stop using the sucky and ugly Windows XP :). The minute I have the video drivers working it's bye bye for mister Gates... at least for everithing other than games.

Oh, and need I say again that you're the man?

Great work Omni.

I'm looking forward to be able to use 1280x768 (native) on my LCD. It will be great to have the beautifull aqua running on my glare type screen ;)

Please take your time :) It's fine just to know it will be supported some time.

btw, np_ also helped me with 60hz on my 7800GT. So, what a great community we have now :)

Well, to be honest, I can understand the "impatience" of some of the members here: a whole lot of them are using tft screens or laptop build-in widescreen panels and not CRTs...

I would be nice to have the current features in an "alpha" release and the refresh rate and tearing fixes in a "beta" release afterwards...

I know, I know: I'll probably be blamed now for being impatient myself and most probably someone will start shouting or even swearing at me but I think what I'm saying now are the thoughts of many (if they're really willing to admit this) ;)

Ok, let the shouting and swearing at my address begin.......

Take care and keep up the great work you're doing,

Tek_No

can't wait to use my 2005FPW w/o stretching soon :)

I have almost everything working in my hp zd8000 laptop (wifi,bluetooth,QE & CI)

the only "thing" is the small res 1024x768 in my native 1440x900 17inch screen.

Omni you are our salvation ;)

Personally I see no reason for people to keep posting here. I mean Omni KNOWS we are all apreciative of his work and are looking forward to it.. But there's no reason for post after post cheering him on without any real benefit/contribution to his work. All these posts really do is clutter up the topic and make it hard to tell if there's any real updates... Just my 2cents..

Well, for my first post on the forum, I guess I'm going to try discouraging posts.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14169

Guys, if you had ANY idea what it was like to program, you wouldn't constantly be bugging him. For the time being, try setting a value in com.apple.Boot.plist to get your desired screen resolution. I don't think you're going to have many excuses for a changeable screen resolution at runtime between now and the time Omni releases his drivers.

In the meantime, if it would really comfort you to see your card listed in System Profiler, edit the files in SPDisplaysReporter.