omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL

omni

163 posts in this topic

Omni, I don't believe people are trying to complain about this. They are just excited about the possibilities that this could bring. Even if there are some that truly have a bad intent and are pushing you, I believe that the vast majority of us appreciate what you are doing and are patiently waiting to see what it can do. If it works for all of us then great, if it doesn't then we are no worse off than before. Thank you for your efforts. Try not to let bad things get to you.

Unfortunately it is human nature that people can never be satisfied with what they have. Perhaps it is a side effect of sentience/consciousness -- that we must constantly improve upon or perhaps just demand constant improvement from others on something. Unfortunately, alot of the time this can transpire into greed and selfishness.

Its too bad that people need to constantly nag for feature rather than just saying "Progress looks good, looking forward to seeing more." You've pretty much been working on this since 10.4.1 if I remember from the early, early posts in like october, IE. before the partly working driver for the RV350 radeons was commited in 10.4.3. From your recent screen shots it looks like you've learned alot, so even if you don't end up releasing anything at all, atleast you learned alot about IOkit and driver implementation.

I recently started working on a speedstep implementation along-side phb, except I was working from code from beos, and already I've learned quite a bit. I haven't said anything explicitly to avoid the problems you've been dealing with. With that said hopefully you won't get bored with it, though it tends to be a trend with programmers... my self included ; ) (I've started and haven't finished too many projects to even comprehend heheh. ) If you do though, anything you can contribute to say, other people interested in continuing development (who you think is competent enough of course) would, I'm sure be much appreciated by the rest of the community.

Good luck and great work!

I agree with you Omni... You have the right upon your source code, if you don't release it in any form is not like the end of the world. Of course there will be side effects, like getting all the ppl frustrated... But they should learn that you don't own them a thing. And also as you said you shouldn't release the source code because maybe Apple will tweak their os and prevent us to have it working wonderful in further releases/updates. With Leopard a new kernel will be developed and who knows how hard it will be to hack it to run on our pc's, ppl enjoy what you have right now cos who knows what the future brings and be patient and let Omni finish his job... don't push him, because to write a driver is a big deal especial when you don't have any documentation for this purpose. If you want full support sell your pc and get a mac.

Well I try not to post unless it has a reason, and I think this is an appropriate time to post.

I first of all want to thank you omni, for all your hard work and your effort that youve put into a project that ultimately you have no obligation to work on.

What that said, I hope you do release something, because there are alot of people that would be happy to try anything.

I will let you know, I completely understand that its crazy how when youre trying to create one thing, and people take what progress you have made, and then request everything under the moon in addition to the kitchen sink. Its part of this community, its part of any software that is in high demand. I honestly think though, people would be happy with a proper driver that allows for resolution and refresh rate change and nothing else. If they dont like it, they dont have to use it, and thats the truth.

It makes me mad that people act like they wouldnt be happy with a simple driver, and want more and more. It is that behavior that has made omni work harder than he should have to, and it is delaying the driver indefinitely. If you want it soo badly, then wait for it, or make your own. He is completely right that no one in this community except for a certain few actually answered the call to develope anything. I understand that programming and developing custom software/drivers is not an easy task, but its not impossible, and its not like everyone that picks up those tasks really was an expert before hand.

At first this community seemed fun and new, like linux used to be, but its starting to get annoying and filled with people that have no clue wtf they are doing. They flood the community with stupid questions, with mindless posts and in the end, the people that actually try to help end up repeating themselves over and over again instead of dealing with real issues that dont have any known solution. There is a plethora of information on the forums and the wiki that 80% of the questions/posts on this forum could be answered with.

I guess this has turned into a rant about the community, but its true, people you need to suck it up and realize you need to use your brains and be patient. If you cant do that then gtfo. Ive been contemplating creating a comprehensive tutorial site organizing and making information easier to understand and read so alot of the questions and posts that are put on this forum would have been addressed before hand using their own intelligence. But Im starting to feel like omni, and that its almost not worth it, that all the hard work we put in would go to waste in the end.

People dont burn the community down because you are impatient or stupid, read, learn, experiment, if you dont understand something, use google, it works trust me. I only ask as a last resort when I have expended all my sources of information, I wish everyone else would do the same.

Im sorry for the long rant, but it needed to be said!

I've tried to avoid posting in here and pestering omni who is working arse off, but I do have a question for him about the driver.

Is this driver a "generic" ATI driver in that it should work with most all ATI cards? Do you have an idea of what the oldest card that might be supported through this driver might be?

Again i don't want to pester. I am more curious then anything.

People like to complain, no matter how big or small the issue is. However, there are plenty of people that do not and are happy with what they get. I find it amazing you would stoop to idle threats like this after parading around with your results and then to refuse to even release what you have so someone else could continue the work. I think it would be a real shame to let your ego get in the way of progress and while you don't have to release anything, it would surely lower my and I'm sure most people's opinion of you.

Sorry if that's not the type of response you were looking for.

People like to complain, no matter how big or small the issue is. However, there are plenty of people that do not and are happy with what they get. I find it amazing you would stoop to idle threats like this after parading around with your results and then to refuse to even release what you have so someone else could continue the work. I think it would be a real shame to let your ego get in the way of progress and while you don't have to release anything, it would surely lower my and I'm sure most people's opinion of you.

Sorry if that's not the type of response you were looking for.

You are entitled to your opinion just like anyone else, it doesnt really matter what kind of a response I was looking for because that would then be patronizing rather than providing a constructive reply.

I am just frustrated, but that's nobody's problem but mine...

I'm going to make a wild suggestion and advise that this entire topic be deleted.

The driver isn't even finished and the source code won't be released (so Apple can't get an idea of how to further prevent this sort of thing.) Therefore, what purpose does this thread have? There's no cooberation of work whatsoever here. Anybody worth sharing details and source material with is probably already working underground with Omni.

I know Omni had the good intention of showing people how far his driver has progressed, but the fact is, he can't release it. So this entire thing becomes one giant place for people to whine even more.

I don't want to sound mean, but Omni: you probably should've just kept your mouth closed until this thing is ready to roll. It's not your fault, but people have trouble holding down their excitement, and this is like dangling a cup of ice water infront of a thirsty person on a summer day.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and about that dual monitor and T.V. output thing. That's sort of an extravagant request. Beggars can't be choosers.

I agree with you Omni... You have the right upon your source code, if you don't release it in any form is not like the end of the world. Of course there will be side effects, like getting all the ppl frustrated... But they should learn that you don't own them a thing. And also as you said you shouldn't release the source code because maybe Apple will tweak their os and prevent us to have it working wonderful in further releases/updates. With Leopard a new kernel will be developed and who knows how hard it will be to hack it to run on our pc's, ppl enjoy what you have right now cos who knows what the future brings and be patient and let Omni finish his job... don't push him, because to write a driver is a big deal especial when you don't have any documentation for this purpose. If you want full support sell your pc and get a mac.

If every programmer had thought like you the Linux or the MACOSX itself (based on FREE and GNU soft) had never been created, nowadays only microsoft think in that way. Also, this kind of proyect its based on free contributions of people who put their work in a disinterested way, or im wrong ?, whats is the point of belong to a community if you dont want share your acomplish, your thoughts or your questions ? and what happends if every member of this site buy a Mac or all request for more hardware compatibility will be responded with "hey man sell your pc and buy a Mac" , well, the OS X86 proyect will be a useless pile of text with no user base.

sorry for my english

If every programmer had thought like you the Linux or the MACOSX itself (based on FREE and GNU soft) had never been created, nowadays only microsoft think in that way. Also, this kind of proyect its based on free contributions of people who put their work in a disinterested way, or im wrong ?, whats is the point of belong to a community if you dont want share your acomplish, your thoughts or your questions ? and what happends if every member of this site buy a Mac or all request for more hardware compatibility will be responded with "hey man sell your pc and buy a Mac" , well, the OS X86 proyect will be a useless pile of text with no user base.

sorry for my english

then by all means, make us all a driver and share with us instead of bugging this guy, you can't try and make him feel bad by not releasing something he put together from scratch, excuse my english, but most of you people need to f*&k off and wait

- have you plans for release the source code for getting help from another programmers from this or other forums (aka GNU style) ?

No, because he doesn't want Apple to be able to patch OS X x86 futrher to prevent the Framebuffer from working.

sorry for my english

wth?

Omni IS working on a driver FOR the community. He doesn't need to release the source to do that. There are examples of closed source drivers for Linux that work. Does that make them useless to the Linux community?

You are incorrect if you think that only Microsoft thinks this way. If that's what you think.. then go ask NVidia for the source for their Windows driver and send it to me.

Check your facts before entering and leave the bullsh1t at the door please.

And if every member of this community went and bought a Mac this site would still be perfectly fine.

1. I got some legacy hardware I'd love to get working on an Intel Mac... I'm sure others do as well.

2. More people will find this place and want to try their hand at OS X on vanilla hardware.

ps. sell your pc and buy a mac :)

:dev::blink: ...

For New001:

Apple programmers maybe take more time to reverse engineering the hacked driver than simply read the source code, perhaps 2 hours more.

For rogabean & doubljdog

Take easy, im not attacking Omni work, its only my philosophical point of view (if you really understand that)

ps: sell your pc and buy a brain :)

I think Takuro has the right idea...delete this thread, and let Omni continue on with what he has to do.

As a matter of fact, couldn't the moderators set up a special sticky just for Omni where he (and only he) can post with news, updates, and then the driver when it's ready? That way we have a reliable thread to check in on to see how things are going.

There's already a JaS and Omni appreciation thread...we can express our gratitude for his hard work there.

Please don't p*ss this guy off...I really need this driver. Leave him alone and maybe soon we can get a solution that will work for the majority of us.

Thanks for the efforts, Omni. It's appreciated more than you know.

1. Omni - it is normal to be asked a lot of questions - and that because many people see on you a guru of ATI - and that can be scarring sometime !

2. Guys - the goal of this driver was rezolution changing and refresh rate - and I think that should be - if omni will solve also the mouse problem then it will be nice if not that's it !

3. When Omni will release a driver that is workin - we all will be able to see what is capable to do - until then we will have to wait.

4. If Omni driver will work ok then we can ask Omni for new features like tv-out and so on , and that will be solved only if Omni will have time and power to do-it. Asking now for a bunch of features is stupid, this will only make the release date for the driver to be delayed... and I thin nobody wants that !

5. Omni - I think you should be proud on you - overnight you have became a name know by a entire comunity - and that is nice - but this also come with a reverse a higher pressure on you - but remember - nobody is perfect and is not a shame on that - so if think cannot be solved, that's it - it seem to me that you are a perfectionist, and that it is nice, but not to often !

6. I have a sugestion - to release de presure - post only once in a week some words on you driver progress - that will calm down us, and you - I hope - will not be stressed so high

Tanks for your work - hope to see your drivers sooner or later !

PS - I think Omni will deserve a gift wrom us when the drivers will be out - a x1900 will be nice !

Just to get everything into PROPER PERSPECTIVE FOR THE NTH TIME! Omni owes us NOTHING! If he releases a driver well and good. If not, there's nothing we can do about it! So for everyone brandishing their impatience and frustration and anger, you might do well with a little respect and maturity (instead of acting like {censored} in heat waiting for a :) ). Really now!

In the best interest of the OSX86 community, I COMPLETELY AGREE we should simply close this thread. And to Omni, just keep silent and do whatever you want, release the drivers if and whenever you choose, hell you can even quit working on the ATI driver, do whatever you like. As much as I'd like to see this project come to fruition, I'm VERY INCLINED AT THE MOMENT JUST TO SPITE THESE BRATS TILL THEY WHIMPER IN THEIR IMPATIENCE, SOMEONE NEEDS TO TEACH THEM. I'm sure you feel the same way.

That said, I hope the moderators can close this thread so we can all go back to being constructive. Please!

eh guys i think we have to wait and see one more week...and dont post until Omni does.

Omni is workin under pressure from the 1rst day to make a "perfect little baby", all this questions regarding new features etc...don't have their places here until a driver comes and Omni decides to go deeper into the driver's code.

Omni don't read anymore this thread it wont make any difference and won't improve ur Driver, do what u've done from the beginning : just to keep us informed and everybody will be fine with that.

Regards and good luck

Munky, i agree with you.

I think we should close this one, and then let patient people wait for omni giving us news, while the impatient ones can post new topics for themselves not bothering omni. :)

Topics like "SUCCESS" and "omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL" should be closed since there is no driver and no beta-alpha-omega testing! I think everybody is sick and tired reading spam in this topics! All discussions here are almost useless!

When there will be a release of driver, then open topic and post results. 15,687 reads of spam.

By the way, when I open topic called "omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL" I suppose that there is driver there but not progress of work.

By the way, when I open topic called "omni driver for ATI with QE/CI/GL" I suppose that there is driver there but not progress of work.

Whilst I dont care that its not finished yet, and appreciate the time it takes to develop low level stuff like this, I have to agree with that point - especially when there are attachments. But seroiusly, put it in perspective, you think for 3 seconds there is a driver out, then you find out there isn't - not really a big deal.

I appologize about the topic titles, reason I made them such was a follow up on previous posts elsewhere (re: lack of QE/CI/GL with then current build of the driver).

Else, I'd rather not decide on whether a thread is closed or not. I am a proponent of free speech and so believe that everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion (no matter what it is).

I know on the other hand I wrote about my frustrations that came from the same very posts I am defending here now, but that only means to me I should suck it up and carry on with my work.

I will try to be less of a perfectionist and release an alpha version of the driver soon, without the complete monitor detection, just to calm everyone down. :thumbsdown_anim: