Chameleon Wizard - Utility for Chameleon.

janek202

681 posts in this topic

Excellent idea janek202! Great work!

I think what I can add for future versions is perhaps a radio button to select between Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion (I hear that Lion wants a special parameter like UseKernelCache=Yes) and also the installation and use of modules in /Extra/modules path. To be honest, I installed Resolution.dlyb and don't know how to activate it or what to do to see it works :(

Does your application inform itself of its own updates, too?

Awesome app but needs one more feature : current chameleon version, which could be implemented like this

strings BOOT_FILE_HERE | grep "Chameleon v"

eg.

strings /Volumes/Snow\ Leopard/boot | grep "Chameleon v"
Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r823

Yes... very nice, i'll test when i'm back home.

A cool feature would be if one could install to EFI too, i.e. i prefer to have everything there and leave

the OS untouched... :D

Yes, would be a nice feature.

Hi all. I made a new utility for Chameleon. It helps to install, update and download latests revs of bootloader.

Features:

Installing Chameleon with boot0 and boot0hfs install methods.

Updating Chameleon only by replacing boot file.

Downloading latests revs from server.

Works on Snow Leopard and Lion.

Universal binary: x86_64 and i386.

Download links:

Beta 1.1: http://cl.ly/6vJA

Please report me any bugs or ideas for new features.

If anyone knows how to build Chameleon's sources on linux without Xcode, please let me know.

I would never make this application without support and ideas by osx86.org.pl team. Thank you, guys!

Amazing! Truly, you're a genius, Janek. I am desperately fighting the urge to donate you money for all of this quality coding. If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer? Few with your level of expertise are willing to produce such treasures with zero compensation and scant praise. I applaud you for doing this, you are truly a generous spirit. :D This community desperately needs this to expand and accelerate its development. Your last two products stand above the primitive and limited tools that most of us had to resort to streamline and accelerate the processes of various operating system machinations. ;)

Amazing! Truly, you're a genius, Janek. I am desperately fighting the urge to donate you money for all of this quality coding. If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer? Few with your level of expertise are willing to produce such treasures with zero compensation and scant praise. I applaud you for doing this, you are truly a generous spirit. :D This community desperately needs this to expand and accelerate its development. Your last two products stand above the primitive and limited tools that most of us had to resort to streamline and accelerate the processes of various operating system machinations. :D

I agree!

Thanks janek202

;)

Worked like charm! I just needed to reinstall Chameleon due to my Win7 SP1 update :) and your app arrived at perfect time to save me a manual installation. Thank you for your good work!

rDrG

New Beta version 1.2:

Links in the first post.

Added:

Showing installed Chameleon's revision. Thanks LIMITER!

New option: Backup boot file.

If you don't mind my asking, are you a programmer?

No. It's just a hobby. I'm studying at the moment.

Edit: Small update. Installed Chameleon's revision is now updated after installation.

Thank you for this excellent app, it's a very good idea and really helps as previously getting the latest builds of chameleon was quite tedious!

One thing though, when I first run this app and updated chameleon it broke chameleon themes and I just got a text based selector, I reinstalled the old version of Chameleon and then installed with this app again and my chameleon themes still work!

Hi all. I made a new utility for Chameleon. It helps to install, update and download latests revs of bootloader.

Features:

Installing Chameleon with boot0 and boot0hfs install methods.

Updating Chameleon only by replacing boot file.

Downloading latests revs from server.

Hi Janeck,

Yet another great idea after Kext Wizzard.

I have a suggestion:

Is it possible to have an option which allowws you to install from a local i386 folder. This would be handy when internet connection is not available.

Keep up the good work,

best regards :rolleyes:

Is it possible to have an option which allowws you to install from a local i386 folder. This would be handy when internet connection is not available.

If I understood You correctly, It have been arleady implemented. Just select tab: "Folder on disk", and select Chameleon's i386 folder.

If I understood You correctly, It have been arleady implemented. Just select tab: "Folder on disk", and select Chameleon's i386 folder.

Hi Janeck,

I apologise. I posted before testing it. :rolleyes:

Regards. :rolleyes:

Great job, Is it possible to support EFI partition? It seems only support MBR partition.

Great job, Is it possible to support EFI partition? It seems only support MBR partition.

Currently it works only with "normal" HFS+ partitions. No matter is it MBR or GUID (GPT).

I will think about it, but personally I don't use EFI partition, so others would have to test it.

Maybe I will only add support for updating Chameleon on EFI partition, not whole installation.

Edit: Are this commands OK for updating chameleon on EFI partition?

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use EFI partition myself...

Currently it works only with "normal" HFS+ partitions. No matter is it MBR or GUID (GPT).

I will think about it, but personally I don't use EFI partition, so others would have to test it.

Maybe I will only add support for updating Chameleon on EFI partition, not whole installation.

Edit: Are this commands OK for updating chameleon on EFI partition?

mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_hfs /dev/diskXs1 /Volumes/EFI
cp boot /Volumes/EFI
umount /Volumes/EFI
rm -rf /Volumes/EFI

As I mentioned earlier, I don't use EFI partition myself...

Thanks for your reply, I don't use EFI partition, too. That's my friend's reply, doesn't work with EFI.

So, I don't know the exact commands. Sorry~

New beta version 1.3.

Fixed EFI partitions detection.

Little GUI changes.

Some small fixes in a code.

Still no EFI support... (see second post on second page)

Link in the first post.