Kext Wizard - Easy to use Kext Installer and more

janek202

269 posts in this topic

so we can install Lion's kext and rebuild its cache from inside SL? and vice-versa?

Yes. I used "touch" command, so system takes care of rebuilding cache, instead of rebuilding it manually. At least it should work like that.

Hi all.

Recently I was working on new utility for kexts. Version 3.0 seems to be finished, so I decided to show this app on international forum.

Hi I like a lot your app can you/ will you provide source, pleaseee?

Great.

But does this new utility handle the rights of kext "correct" if i use kext utitlity works but next OS X Diskutility must repair all of them again.

Yes.

Maintenance: First it sets owner (root:wheel) and permissions (755) for the whole System/Library/Extensions. Some system kexts requires other permissions etc. so after that it repairs permissions on whole target disk using: "diskutil repairpermissions".

Installation: It sets owner and permissions only for newly installed kexts. Others aren't modified. After that it rebuilds cache.

So there's no need to run Disk Utility after using my application.

Hi all.

Recently I was working on new utility for kexts. Version 3.0 seems to be finished, so I decided to show this app on international forum.

Features:

1. Maintenance: Repair permissions, and rebuild cache for Extra and System/Library/Extensions.

Both directories: Extra/Extensions and Extra/KextStore are supported.

2. Installation: Install kexts to Extra or S/L/E and create mkext.

3. Unpacker: Check mkext's content kexts and unpack it.

4. Kext Information: Check kext's architectures and dependencies.

5. Loaded: Shows list of currently loaded kexts in system.

Hi Janek,

This was long overdue and many thanks for your hard work.

I would like to suggest some additional features in the 'Loaded' section:

-Would it be possible to emulate the functionality of the 'Extensions' section of System Profiler ?

What would be useful is the location of the loaded kexts.

These could be displayed in a new window with the ability to save the info to a text file.

Kind regards,

Rn

-Would it be possible to emulate the functionality of the 'Extensions' section of System Profiler ?

What would be useful is the location of the loaded kexts.

Ok. I will add this in version 3.1. I found a way to search kexts also in /Extra by their bundle-id.

Version 3.1 (Probably Beta).

Improved filtering. More info about selected kext.

Please report me any bugs etc.

When everything will be ok I will update first post with new version.

Edit: Version 3.1 is now official. Check the first post.

Version 3.1 (Probably Beta).

Hi Janek,

A couple of suggestions for future releases:

1- Could you make 'renaming of Extra/Extensions folder to Extra/KextStore Optional. That may be useful for backward compatibility.

2- I know it's early days but it would be nice to output some information messages as to what it is doing (a bit like Kext Utility). That way, one would know whether it is running or stuck.

Thanks again,

Regards

Rn

1- Could you make 'renaming of Extra/Extensions folder to Extra/KextStore Optional. That may be useful for backward compatibility.

Well, I think it's pointless. Extensions will be renamed to KextStore only when "Rebuild mkext" option is selected. Chameleon loads kexts in that order:

1. Extra/Extensions folder

2. Extra/Extensions.mkext

Keeping Extensions folder and mkext is pointless, because kexts will be loaded only from E/E directory. That's why if you want to use mkext (some kexts works only that way) you have change Extensions' name (usually to KextStore).

If you repair permissions, install new kexts etc. this folder won't be renamed.

2- I know it's early days but it would be nice to output some information messages as to what it is doing (a bit like Kext Utility). That way, one would know whether it is running or stuck.

I will think about it, but usually the only function that takes some time is repairing permissions to whole disk (Option repair S/L/E permissions).

Edit: No one reported me any bugs so version 3.1 is officially published.