Leo4Allv3

eddie11c

440 posts in this topic

I have a suggestion. Since am not able to boot the dvd from my AMD laptop, I installed v3 on my udb hdd using my friends PC (intel)..Since i could not choose the amd fix being automated, gave me the sigsvce error..had to go back to v2...is there a way that i can specifically install amd fix..or can you enable the option please....

thanks

keep up the good work..

I have a suggestion. Since am not able to boot the dvd from my AMD laptop, I installed v3 on my udb hdd using my friends PC (intel)..Since i could not choose the amd fix being automated, gave me the sigsvce error..had to go back to v2...is there a way that i can specifically install amd fix..or can you enable the option please....

thanks

keep up the good work..

If he has an intel where you installed it from you could patch it from there also with Marvin's AMD Utility. There is no option to manually patch. I had my reasons for doing it this way, and I will leave it at that.

Eddie11c.. Glad to see you responding to this thread. i got a few questions about your release.

1. How did you get the CPU to identify in "about this mac"? I have looked everywhere for something that does this and cant find it in your install anywhere. Can you point me toward it?

2. It seems that you have avoided the USB issue with 10.5.2. The one where devices will not load if not plugged in at boot. Its believed to be related to system.kext but that does not fix for all. Leo4allv2 and kalyway 10.5.2 both suffer from this. I have not done a lot of testing here but it seems your install does not suffer from it. HOW did you fix that?

3. I have also had a problem during first boot with migration assistant (transferring my data from one volume to another). This happens in 10.5.2 and is a real mac bug, yet very rare. Happens for me with kalyway 10.5.2 during initial setup. Were you aware of this Transferring files to support applications bug? And if so what if anything did you do to fix this? I did not experience this with your install when transferring my data.

4. Thank you for including x3100 natit from paulicat which has always given me QE/CI. There is also another fix for x3100 and that involves the Framebuffers being changed out for the none vanilla version. If others complain about x3100 that is what they need. kalyway 10.5.2 includes that one.

5. Interesting that the ACPI platform hack for ver 1.1.0 regulates my fan like it does. I noticed it includes a lot more files in it including a CPUtherom kext in there which has always been I thought a separate kext. Where did you get this ACPIplaftform.kext ver 1.1.0? I think if a properly updated 1.2.1 version was available I would get my fan to turn on when its to hot. Can you tell me where you got that edited 1.1.0 version?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK!!

Eddie11c.. Glad to see you responding to this thread. i got a few questions about your release.

1. How did you get the CPU to identify in "about this mac"? I have looked everywhere for something that does this and cant find it in your install anywhere. Can you point me toward it?

2. It seems that you have avoided the USB issue with 10.5.2. The one where devices will not load if not plugged in at boot. Its believed to be related to system.kext but that does not fix for all. Leo4allv2 and kalyway 10.5.2 both suffer from this. I have not done a lot of testing here but it seems your install does not suffer from it. HOW did you fix that?

3. I have also had a problem during first boot with migration assistant (transferring my data from one volume to another). This happens in 10.5.2 and is a real mac bug, yet very rare. Happens for me with kalyway 10.5.2 during initial setup. Were you aware of this Transferring files to support applications bug? And if so what if anything did you do to fix this? I did not experience this with your install when transferring my data.

4. Thank you for including x3100 natit from paulicat which has always given me QE/CI. There is also another fix for x3100 and that involves the Framebuffers being changed out for the none vanilla version. If others complain about x3100 that is what they need. kalyway 10.5.2 includes that one.

5. Interesting that the ACPI platform hack for ver 1.1.0 regulates my fan like it does. I noticed it includes a lot more files in it including a CPUtherom kext in there which has always been I thought a separate kext. Where did you get this ACPIplaftform.kext ver 1.1.0? I think if a properly updated 1.2.1 version was available I would get my fan to turn on when its to hot. Can you tell me where you got that edited 1.1.0 version?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR WORK!!

Ahh so many questions!! I will try to answer best I can. Thanks for giving my release a test first of all.

1. cpu can be identified by sysctl(specifically machdep.cpu.brand_string), you can read the man page which covers what other options are available. The tricky part was really trial and error. Profiler is smart and always seems to identify the correct cpu speed, where as sysctl will get the default clock speed. But trial and error led me to find that if no cpu speed is specified profiler fills in the gap. I think this was the version of the installer I included on the DVD. If not it is on the other post here somewhere.

2&3 I think are related. I noticed from alot of testing that slipstreaming the updates seem to be where most problems arise. I did not have a 10.5.2 Leopard disk to base my install on, so I rebuilt it from scratch. I won't go into all the specifics here, but this definately made the 3 systems(Intel laptop,Intel desktop, AMD desktop) I have to test on run much more smoothly. Everything I have that is actually supported by Leopard works great. The reason I did this project in the first place was to have an install disk I could use for all of them.

4.Thanks for pointing out the other option for X3100, I will make sure to check into that if I ever update this release.

5. I am not real sure where I got this ACPIPlatform from. The kext's are sometimes not in the plugins folder, I added them there to simplifiy the install. I think they will work regardless. Some people have issues with CPU thermal though, so if your system runs hot try removing it. I am not sure what if anything is hardcoded in them, but it may be possible to edit version dependencies to match 1.2.1 but I have not tried this, as I tend to have shutdown/restart issues with the stock version and Vanilla kernel.

Eddie, maker of Leo4all, you did great job but I have now installed OSX and still have the same artifacts (they have something to do with the mouse pointer) as I had before when I was editing the ati1000.kext. Have a ATI Mobility X1400 gpu. Now have you an Idea how to fix this?

Great Thanx for your great work!

Hey eddie, I'm loving my machine with your install. I'm so glad I've got CI/QE on my 7300GT. You have no idea how excited I was last night. The only thing I have to ask you is this:

Will I be able to format and install Leopard on a SATA drive? I have to install the nForce drivers as is so that made me curious as to if I'll be able to install it internally? Right now I'm booted from an external IDE.

-Tyler

Ahh so many questions!! I will try to answer best I can. Thanks for giving my release a test first of all.

1. cpu can be identified by sysctl(specifically machdep.cpu.brand_string), you can read the man page which covers what other options are available. The tricky part was really trial and error. Profiler is smart and always seems to identify the correct cpu speed, where as sysctl will get the default clock speed. But trial and error led me to find that if no cpu speed is specified profiler fills in the gap. I think this was the version of the installer I included on the DVD. If not it is on the other post here somewhere.

2&3 I think are related. I noticed from alot of testing that slipstreaming the updates seem to be where most problems arise. I did not have a 10.5.2 Leopard disk to base my install on, so I rebuilt it from scratch. I won't go into all the specifics here, but this definately made the 3 systems(Intel laptop,Intel desktop, AMD desktop) I have to test on run much more smoothly. Everything I have that is actually supported by Leopard works great. The reason I did this project in the first place was to have an install disk I could use for all of them.

Thanks for answering Eddie.. About question 1. I almost thought I had it but can't figure out how you got "about this mac" to show the whole cpu string. I see that the sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string command can show your CPU type.

But I figured you edited loginwindow.app here:

inside loginwindow.app, go to /Contents/Resources/English.lproj "AboutThisMac.strings" inside English.lproj

But there was no change there. So what did you change?

About question 2 & 3. If you fixed the installer by slipstreaming the updates how would that fix the USB problem? I guess what I'm really wondering is once installed does your re-slipstreamed install outperform the original install method used by other 10.5.2 discs? Since the USB problem is gone I would think yes.

Do others here have the USB problem with leo4allv3?

THANKS

@Eddie

I was wondering when booting is it possible to have the grey apple screen instead of the text scrolling? You know like if you choose -v at the boot prompt. I would really like it to show the grey apple screen by default and if I had to boot in verbose mode then I can choose the -v. Also is there a way to cut down the timer from 9secs to like 2or3 secs?

Cheers,

Chevy

Go into your apple.boot.plist file and edit the plist file by deleting the seconds displayed there, the value on the very last line, <#> and save the file. Restart and you should be able to see the white screen instead of verbose. =)

@Eddie

I was wondering when booting is it possible to have the grey apple screen instead of the text scrolling? You know like if you choose -v at the boot prompt. I would really like it to show the grey apple screen by default and if I had to boot in verbose mode then I can choose the -v. Also is there a way to cut down the timer from 9secs to like 2or3 secs?

Cheers,

Chevy

@Eddie

Cheers,

Chevy

See here

It is a kernel flag in the com.apple.boot.plist that he changed. Just take it out or add the Quiet Boot flag. See the list for details.

thanks for your hard work, eddie!

this version seems to be the right choice for me(for my 8400GS 256MB & stac9271D), then I grabbed a copy asap. while now i encountered some problem during installation.

I chose vanilla kernel 9.2.2 and default kernel , NVIDIA kext, STAC9271 audio driver, simplified chinese language translation, remove firewire in my customized installation, and the patition should be ok, coz I installed successfully your previous 10.5.2 v2. while when the installation progress bar reached "less than 2 minutes left" , my system freezes, none of keyboard and mouse worked.

how could I fix this issue? thanks again!

My computer configuration:

C2D E6550(2.33G)

Intel DP35DP

NVIDIA 8400GS 256M 64B

How much ram do you have ndep? is your system overclocked? what package is it freezing on in the log?

Now back to 00Diabolic. If i run sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string this is what i get in return:

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

Now if i strip @ 3.00GHz off of this it will then use system profiler to fill it in. I use a few sed commands to fix it up so it looks better, then inject it into a custom copy of AppleSystemInfo.strings. This file is located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Resources/<your language>. There is a line in here for unknown cpu type, this is where all but those cpu's used in Macs get their unknown from. Editing the other file takes away the proper speed rating.

I fixed the installer by not doing slipstream updates. I think this is where most of the issues arise personally. Take a look at the installer packages on the DVD, look for Leopard-10.5.2.