Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8

kaly

1,087 posts in this topic

Don't use fdisk. I would give gParted a try. Its free and it lets you manage partitions and which one is the active partition. Also, I would use GRUB for the bootloader. It's much better.

Thnx for the tips. Can't find anywhere to download GRUB though.. Found the homepage but no good download places.. Anyways.

So this is how I'm gonna do it? (please give me hints and correct me if im way off :rolleyes:

1. I made three partitions om my SATA HD (400GB). Each getting their share of space. (last partition for Windows Vista downloads. :whistle:

2. I install Windows Vista on the first partition.

3. I restart system and install Leopard X on the 2nd partition. (what kernel/options should I be using? xCore2Duo E8400, 4096MB DDR2 RAM, Gigabyte 8800GT 1024MB, LG 245WP, Gigabyte EP-DS4)

4. I restart system again, and boot from GParted Live CD (to make windows vista the active partition?)

5. I restart and let the system boot into Vista by itself!

6. From within Vista I run GRUB to make a new bootloader (with the two OS above)

7. Now I should be able to select either Vista OR Leopard each time I boot? (how do I make sure that I DON'T need the install-dvd (Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD) each time I start Leopard?)

Am I getting there? ;)

Thnx for the help so far.

If your'e past the grey screen, you're too late. As soon as BIOS is done its POST, hit F8. I think the default KalyWay boot setting is that the Darwin bootloader waits 5s and then boots Leo.

After hitting F8, you can enter boot options (like -s to get started in single user mode). In user mode type 'mount -uw /' and then ./movevideodrivers (include period!). This will run a script that asks 4 times wether to move a specific set of drivers from your Extensions directory to a backup location. Note that it can take a bit of time before this script finalizes (~10-20s).

I would advise figuring out wether your video card is supported, but it is safe to move all video drivers to the backup (answer yes 4 times) and then type 'exit' to reboot. Probably your system will then boot to Leo using the VGA mode of your card.

Also it helps diving a bit into the world of kexts and leasrn some basic Unix commands.

hi thank for the reponse it is much appreciated i go into single user mode and am able to type the command 'mount -uw /' and hit enter and it works but after that i type './movevideodrivers' and hit enter and it says no such file or directory..plz help

Hi everybody, i'm new here. I have installed the kalyway 10.5.2. installing went just fine. First i had a wrong partition format. After changing that he installed in about 30 minutes. While i rebooted i get a "You must restart your computer" screen. Does anyone know how to get the diagnostic information so i can post it here?

Thanks a lot.

Well, here is the error I am getting

Quicktime7_quicktime745_leopard

Anyone know what this is?

hi i received this error when installing too...i just cleaned the disc and tried reinstalling didnt get the error that time so try reinstall gl

Hi thank kaly for this release it is the first time I have been able to boot to an installer screen in my toshiba A70 laptop however it only copies about 2400 files to the hard drive then locks up CD/DVD light still blinks but HD light has stopped

Although I do believe the issue could be the low amount of ram 256 MB with 64 used by graphics leaving be about 191 MB I am however ordering a 1 GB stick today so hopefully this will resolve the issue

What would be the absolute min requirement for ram to install leopard ?

Hey Kaly, i have someone that is asking for help on the kalyway install, and he is having the issue where his hard drive is not showing up, i cant find anything on the forum regarding this issue, is there something he can do?

try booting with the -f option

Hi, I'm having an issue, its that "still waiting for root device" message... heres the thing, I have an IDE drive set as my master drive, but my only dvd drive is a sata drive, and I believe it is my sata drive that is causing the problem... anyone know a remedy for that?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=392456 << my computers specs...

dvd drive is an asus DRW-2014L1T

finally after a weekend of slaving away and scouring these forums, have a working leopard install on my Thinkpad T61 using kalyway 10.5.2. used the vanilla kernel and checked both video drivers for the intel chip in the install customization. everything else was default.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz

RAM: 2 GB

HD: Hitachi 120 GB

Audio: Intel HD Audio, AD1984

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

Wireless: Thinkpad 802.11 a/b/g Wi-Fi

Used following guides:

Wireless: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=238508 (still have to connect using network diagnostics every time i boot up)

Video: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465 (did not have to use sleep hot corner trick)

Audio: http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/ (headphone jack still not working)

Battery Meter: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114105

not updating to 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 in fear of screwing things up.. i can live with this.

Hi

I am another newbie, so sorry in advance if I am breaking any rules by posting this here, but I am trying to make this KalyWay 10 5 2 to work as a dualboot on my pentium 4

My Specs are:

Pentium4, 3 GHZ

Northwood

socket 478 mPGA

SSE2

MoBo: P4AL-800

Chipset: ALI M1683

1280 MB RAM

I have made a partition for my OsX in fat32, as described in an installation guide, and have now burned the image to a DVD. But when I boot up in Darwin, no matter what I do (eg. -v -x -s etc etc), it ends with the computer restarting before i even get to the part with language selection!

What am i doing wrong?

Please help and once again, if I am doing something wrong by posting this here, I apologize.

Jasc

update on earlier post

Memory upgrade worked so as my predictions 192MB IS NOT ENOUGH however there are still 3 issues I am trying to resolve TOSHIBA A70

Wireless lan not working - shows an error

BUS ERROR - not sure what this means ( please help )

Graphics no QE/CI - I have solved this issue b4 with help from these forums no problem yet and same for no sound

What I need advice on is the Atheros bus error message I have looked at the info.plist file and it is PCI186c,13 where normally I would expect 0x168c0013 - Do I need to change anything or by using PCI with a commer mean any device ID ending with 13 ie 0013 , 4510 , 8813 etc

OK, so at the beginning of the install the disk utility does not see my HD. Which makes sense 'cause the hardware compatibilty list for my motherboard (ASUS P5K-SE) says I need to apply a patch to make the IDE work. I have found the patch, so now I am assuming I need to modify/slipstream the Kalyway DVD. I have added the kext file I need to the right directory but here's where I am stuck; the following instructions make no sense (well, some) to me and I've been unable to modify the DVD image.

"if you want adding drivers support to dvd boot then put kexts you want add to dvd extensions in this folder (you can find natit for at hd in this folder) and run Add_kext_to_dvd_boot.command !!!"

How the heck do I run that file? It's not a .bat file, or an .exe file..... :wacko:

Has anyone here actually done this? I've seen this question asked many pages ago but there was never an answer and I have spent the better part of 2 hours looking for better instructions.

cheers!

As for "Add_kext_to_DVD_boot.command", I have moved the Kalyway folder to the desktop with the .iso and the ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD folder inside. When I try to run the command, my Macbook Pro tells me I don't have "appropriate access privilages", although I am logged in as Admin. So I open a terminal, sudo -s, put in my password, and drop the script in.

So, I'm running:

"bash-3.2# /Users/Me/Desktop/Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd/ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD/Add_kext_to_DVD_boot.command"

and get back:

"bash-3.2# /Users/Me/Desktop/Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd/ADD_KEXT_TO_DVD/Add_kext_to_DVD_boot.command: Permission Denied"

Now, I tried running the command as sudo, I verified all the permissions on all the kexts, the command, and the .iso.

I'm all out of guesses and I need to add the AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext to the boot DVD so I can get the installer to run.

How can I get this command to run?

Thanks in advance for and help

Genuine Macbook Pro

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB RAM

Running Leopard 10.5.4

Oh, and to those getting stuck on still waiting for root, it maybe a IDE issue. As I haven't patched the installer with a .kext yet, I believe that this "AppleOnBoardPCATA.kext" may resolve the issue.

I've been attempting this install on an HP dv8000 laptop with a Turion 64 ML-34 and ATI 200M IGP, but as the HD is PATA, I get the feeling this is the issue.

On a seperate laptop, a Sony Vaio SZ150P, Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0GHz, Intel 945GM Chipset with Intel GMA950 intergrated and GeForce Go 7400 discreet graphics, SATA HD, I've had luck installing iKATOS, Kalyway,and Leo4All, but only under the Geforce go and have never been able to get the graphics resolved. Yet when I try to install any of these with the Intel GMA950 running, before the installer begins, the screen turns into Rainbow, and stays that way. I feel like I might get better performance out of Vaio, but the graphics issue had ben a brick wall for me, trying Titan, Natit, NVinjectGo. If anyone has had a similar experience, and had resolved their graphics issue with GeForce 7400 Go, or the GMA950, drop a line on what helped.

jvanstraaten : i spoke with Kaly on IRC earlier, do you have an nforce board, with SATA?

I have Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard an nForce 680i SLI Chipset, SATAII HDD 500gb (master) and IDE DVD-ROM on master IDE chanel and geting this stupid mesg. "Still waiting root device", what to do next any solution for me? Tnx