Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

This is a great installer, but I have a question about keyboard layouts. Do you have one for American XPS M1330 keyboard? Some reason the apple key (Command) is assigned to the ALT button when on my desktop hackintosh it is assigned to the Windows button.

You can remap the command/control buttons through the keyboard and mouse settings :) It's very easy!

I have a small problem with your package sonotone. When I install the package (NvInject (not working for my 8400m GS btw), Macbook Pro SMBIOS, full power management, scrollilng for M1530 and media keys) my bluetooth stops working :S. I am using the M1530 and iAtkos 4.0i.

Anyone having the same problems with a solution?

hi sonotone, sorry for my English tongue.gif

I have a question for the installation "retail Leopard". I have leopard 10.5.4 retail and I want to know if this version works or must lower a previous version and soon to update, since your you did not specify so that version this created "Bootable ISO Installer" and if it is necessary to use still "Extra Files Content"

thanks and sorry for my English agian XD

pd. my laptop is a xps m1330

Hi Sonotone,

thanks for your great work ! I've tried it on the new Dell Studio Hybrid which is technicaly speaking more a laptop than et desktop i think. With your installer wireless just work and i have a better keyboard mapping but unluckily x3100 do not work even with the sleep trick ($*%$* x3100 chipset!).

With VGA ouput I have a blue screen at the end (it works if i erase all the 3100 related kext). With DVI-D ouput it simply do not output any signal (screen goes black). Any idea ?

If i can make a suggestion, is it difficult to have the choice of the destination hard drive in your installer (this step is skipped) ? Because it facilites testing (you can have one partition that just work and others for testing).

I have a Dell Inspiron 1720. I installed iATKOS_2.0i. Sound did not work, but it booted, and everything else worked correctly.

I followed up by running the Dell Laptop post-installer. It enabled the better video resolution (thank you!). I then added in all of the sound drivers, and upon reboot, sound was working (thank you!).

Shutdown doesn't work any more. :)

I tried the shutdown fix listed, and even applied a second version as well, all to no avail. Can anyone direct me to how to get sound AND shutdown working correctly?

Thanks!

Line in not, but mute yes.

I've just change ALCInject references to HDAEnabler and change one more line of the startut script (but don't remember witch one), and change the priority load. I guess there is more thinks to try (and LoadHDA script is very simple, so you can open it in text editor then experiment) but i actually haven't the time.

Also, since TBCarey leave from this board after its latest tweaked HDAEnabler/AppleHDA, the best way is to investigate inside them to find a way to get sound trought speakers. But we need an experimented person for this...

I just looked at all of that and it looks like it should work but it isn't :)

It would be good if we got feedback from others about the shutdown test and their results (both plugged in and on battery)

okay so I used the installer for my Sigmatel 9025 and it worked great. Then I got greedy and installed some power management kext -the USB EHCI sleep enabler I think. Now my USB don't work. How can I uninstall the kext and fix it? I tried kextstat but couldn't see it.

Hi Sonotone,

Thanks for the installers, everything is working pretty good so far.... apart from my USB.....

I did the same as the guy in the message above. I installed the Sleep Enabler from your 35b package and it sorted sleep but now I have no USB. This is the kext IOUSBFamily right? I could just reinstall that kext but is there a way to edit it to make usb come back without removing that kext all together? I'd like to keep the sleep function but the sleep installers in version 1.1 didn't seem to work for me. Can anyone help me please?

Also, my graphics card is working with QE and CI but is showing up in the System Profiler as an NVidia Go 7300 GS but I have an 8600GT... does this matter or is it not performing as well as it could. I have nvinject 0.2.1.

I hope someone can help.

Hi ! Sonotone

I sent you PM to explain how my Sigma9200 Soundcard work !! She works fine now I understand how I can switch with plug and unplug mode :) Yeah !!

I think you can add System.kext update on your installer.

Just when we update our own kernel with tscync patched kernel, you know I had system.kext update problem :( and I think it can be good to add this option.

Enjoy 

Sonotone:

New info.

So I started from scratch. Used the latest to get the 9200 working. After that I used the shutdown fix. After that I used your new "loadhda" stuff for the startup folder.

Now....shutdown works on battery and plugged in. Mute works. Line out works.

No mic. No mute on line out (which seemed to work before)

Also the speakers name in System Properties is DevShortNameSpkr? :(

Hi Sonotone,

Thanks for the installers, everything is working pretty good so far.... apart from my USB.....

I did the same as the guy in the message above. I installed the Sleep Enabler from your 35b package and it sorted sleep but now I have no USB. This is the kext IOUSBFamily right? I could just reinstall that kext but is there a way to edit it to make usb come back without removing that kext all together? I'd like to keep the sleep function but the sleep installers in version 1.1 didn't seem to work for me. Can anyone help me please?

Also, my graphics card is working with QE and CI but is showing up in the System Profiler as an NVidia Go 7300 GS but I have an 8600GT... does this matter or is it not performing as well as it could. I have nvinject 0.2.1.

I hope someone can help.

You can specify graphics model with installer.

You can try to reinstall the sleep kext with latest release, but think to clean your backup folder before.

NYC Coyote

Ok, cool!

EDIT: to clarify the Eagle's post: for 6400/9400 users, the latest TBCarey's kext is known to not allow sound trought speakers. (but it works for some 6400 owners, lucky are they :rolleyes: ).

however, if you boot the system with a jack plugged in headphones output, speakers are working until you disconnect it.

Also, this kext support line-in, headphone, mute without shutdown issue.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry797060

You can specify graphics model with installer.

You can try to reinstall the sleep kext with latest release, but think to clean your backup folder before.

NYC Coyote

Ok, cool!

EDIT: to clarify the Eagle's post: for 6400/9400 users, the latest TBCarey's kext is known to not allow sound trought speakers. (but it works for some 6400 owners, lucky are they :P ).

however, if you boot the system with a jack plugged in headphones output, speakers are working until you disconnect it.

Also, this kext support line-in, headphone, mute without shutdown issue.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry797060

Another clarification.....for some reason the volume icon in the dock doesn't appear unless I go into system preferences turn it off from the dock and then back on....

but that new kext you just pointed out...all I can say is....Woah....full functionality. I will give it a test either tonight or tomorrow (sitting in an airport right now). I got my e1505/6400. Figure I can just undo it if it doesn't work.

Sonotone...do you know if this new kext mutes the internal speakers when using a line out?

Update: Tried that new kext on my e1505/6400. Line Out: Works!!!! Line In: Works!!!!!!!!!

BUT (there's always a but) - No internal speakers now. So its like the computer thinks that the line out is plugged in all the time and I now hear nothing (as if there was a mute when line out - even when there is no line out)

Hello Sonotone and anyone else,

I was using .35b and sleep worked just fine. With the new version, I applied the tsync patched kernel and my sleep went away. To get it back, I deleted the patched kernel and used the full vanilla kernel and I can't seem to get it back... Any recommendations on what else I can do? Should I try to delete power management kext?

Thank You,

D

PS: Sleep works again after going back to 1.1 and deleting LoadHDA. In 1.2 sound works after deleting LoadHDA

Update: Tried that new kext on my e1505/6400. Line Out: Works!!!! Line In: Works!!!!!!!!!

BUT (there's always a but) - No internal speakers now. So its like the computer thinks that the line out is plugged in all the time and I now hear nothing (as if there was a mute when line out - even when there is no line out)

alright, I have to try this again. so far I had no luck whatsoever. Nothing changed, I get internal speakers after boot and nothing happens when I plug in my headphones, no mute, speaker still on. somewhere I must have a kext that plays foul. I don't need internal speakers as long as I can use my headphones I am set.

alright, I have to try this again. so far I had no luck whatsoever. Nothing changed, I get internal speakers after boot and nothing happens when I plug in my headphones, no mute, speaker still on. somewhere I must have a kext that plays foul. I don't need internal speakers as long as I can use my headphones I am set.

To get it to work I actually didn't undo anything. I simply used kexthelper and dragged the new files into it. Then rebooted.

There has to be a way to incorporate both of these into one.

Then we will have fully working sound with a working shutdown :)

Only thing left I'm my laptop then is a truly working powermanagement (which includes the screen going to sleep). Then I can stop using coolbook.

To get it to work I actually didn't undo anything. I simply used kexthelper and dragged the new files into it. Then rebooted.

ok, finally got it to work. not sure what went wrong before. But, I had to load the new kexts twice. the first time after reboot, I got nothing. Only when I did it a second time I got the headphones to work, just as described. no internal speakers, but I didn't care for that anyway.

thank you

ok, finally got it to work. not sure what went wrong before. But, I had to load the new kexts twice. the first time after reboot, I got nothing. Only when I did it a second time I got the headphones to work, just as described. no internal speakers, but I didn't care for that anyway.

thank you

Now if we could only merge the two :( It would be a perfectly working system (minus true power management)

Anyone out there with the ability to merge this new kext with the old one?

Hi,

I installed iAtkos v4i on my Dell 1520 (T7250, 160gb HDD, 8600GT 256mb) and installed this dell package as well. I get my audio and battery metter to work, but can't get the graphics card working - I tried installing NVinject separately, but no success - still can't change the resolution, can someone help me please?

Thank you,

Benjamin.

EDIT: I got it to work, but now shutdown/restart/sleep don't work, is there a fix or a way to get this working? :censored2:

Thanks.

Oh my god, what with this and the Dell Dual Core fix, this has been an excellent week for me with OSx86.

As my signature states, I just recently upgraded my Latitude D520 from XxX 10.4.11 to iATKOSv4i/kernel 9.4-TSCsync. What a difference 2 cores makes!!! Many thanks to OUI. (For those of you who haven't heard about this, please refer to this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117558)

Everything works, sound, wifi, dual core, cd-rom, two-finger scroll, QE/CI. I chose no GMA950 driver, and I still have mouse artifacts. I have no idea how to fix it. (I'm hoping this will.) Sleep has never worked for me, on any build of OSx86. The screen just totally fails to wake up. Always has.

Another bother is this...

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2/9.2 vanilla kernel and the battery meter worked just awesomely. When upgrading to iATKOSv4i it somehow broke. Will this fix it? I've been snaking by on my a$$ by checking the battery light on the laptop, sometimes just barely making it to a power outlet. So if this fixes it, that'd be awesome.

At least someone with similar specs/Latitude D520 confirm that this is worth running.

Also, for the dev's to check off the Latitude D520, here's my FFScroll/Two-Finger scroll com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist. Hope this helps for you all. (And the 9400 STAC9200 driver has never worked for me, I've always had to use Taruga's patcher/codec.)

Edit!!!:

With my trackpad settings, set the slider in the Trackpad settings to one tick above last. Otherwise stuff is too fast. Trackpad "resolutions" are set at 150. /end edit

Second edit:

This broke my installation. Although I did not choose a video driver, it updated my driver with the one that only works on external displays. Furthermore, it didn't fix my battery meter, nor did it add mute support to my sound card. /edit

com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist.zip

Hey Sonotone,

Thanks for the latest update of your excellent Post-Install app! You are definitely awesome! Regarding the Speedstep App & GUI included with the latest revision, do you have a userguide (or URL) which explains how to use it? Obviously I know how to slide things left and right from the CPU and Voltages sections but want to get the optimal settings available for my m1330. Can anybody offer suggestions to give a good mix-and-match of speed & battery life, etc?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks and fiteon!

ohhh!!! i had sound installing you 0.35b package... and then i did discover your new 1.2 release try to get fully sound and shutdown fix... and nothing worked now, i just installed that and the claimshell its broke and sound it doesn´t work...

i have tried to delete as you say in the guide, i tried to get de old drivers from de version before, and nothing workings... i am not able to install everything again cause i ve got too many things now... what can i do to had the computer (even time machine its does not work for me) as before, i hadnt the internal mic and not automatic switch between headphones and external but everithing was working...

any idea? thanks for your awesome work

ohhh!!! i had sound installing you 0.35b package... and then i did discover your new 1.2 release try to get fully sound and shutdown fix... and nothing worked now, i just installed that and the claimshell its broke and sound it doesn´t work...

i have tried to delete as you say in the guide, i tried to get de old drivers from de version before, and nothing workings... i am not able to install everything again cause i ve got too many things now... what can i do to had the computer (even time machine its does not work for me) as before, i hadnt the internal mic and not automatic switch between headphones and external but everithing was working...

any idea? thanks for your awesome work

What's your laptop?

If you want to remove the HDAfix, remove these files:

/Library/StartupItems/LoadHDA

/System/Library/extensions/AppleHDA.kext and AppleHDA.taruga

Do you know of any way of merging the two sigmatel kexts? so we would have a completely working card?

You to look into xml files (/ressources) and compare, but whitout knowledges, you will waste your time i guess.