Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Hi there, I am new to this forum stuff, but I thought I would go to the source for my question since you made the Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400/E1505, with the ATI x1400 graphics card, and 1.83GHz Core Duo chip. I used the iDeneb v1.3 10.5.5 installer DVD to install my Hack-a-Mac into an external drive. When I installed the iDeneb installer, I chose these options because they are the ones that worked best with my laptop and I had tested them all and knew they worked.: ICHx Fixed under the Chipset option, 9.5 Vanilla Kernel under the Kernel option, AppleBC440x under the Ethernet part of the Network options, Cpus=1 Fix and PowerManagement options under the Fix section. Afterward I made some more adjustment so that everything works quite well now. Anyways, my question is that iDeneb uses AppleACPIPlatform.kext and PowerManagement.bundle in his installer for the PowerManagement options under his Fix section (which is a new option since his 10.5.4 version,) and I was wondering since I have the battery status in the menu bar, do I need your PowerManagement installer with his or instead of his? Also, I noticed that you said that my laptop does not need the AppleHDA shutdown fix since I have sigmatel 9200, but what do the other four options include. I don't mean what kext they include since I can see that within Pacifist, but what do the other four options entail. I am not sure what they all do and which ones would be usefull with my laptop.

Thank you for any information you can give me.

Bill Dotson

P.S. I forgot to mention the last time, that I had originally had the iDeneb v1.1 10.5.4 loaded onto a different external hard drive to test your Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3 package installer, but was unable to figure out what the Power Management section actually did beside adding the battery status in the menu bar, that is why I am asking what they all do before installing into my final 10.5.5 version. Thanks for all the help. :)

Bill Dotson

No battery meter.

There is a "non" icon at the top that is where the battery meter should be (sort of a space between the time machine icon and airport icon).

When I click on it, grayed out is "No batteries available".

Other than that, I'm golden, thanks to all the help this forum has been!

I always install as little as possible everytime, so I work my way up to a fully functioning computer. For the battery meter, I only checked 'Battery Meter' under 'Power Management'. It worked for me.

Has anyone found a definitive guide on how to get the audio working? I believe it's the ALC268 (Realtek). I got it to work on my external speakers, but no headphones and no volume control. On top of that a nasty shutdown problem. Tanks!

Has anyone found a definitive guide on how to get the audio working? I believe it's the ALC268 (Realtek). I got it to work on my external speakers, but no headphones and no volume control. On top of that a nasty shutdown problem. Tanks!

Definitive Guides :

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=903857

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...127227&st=0

@Bill Dotson:

i've already provided informations into installer and readme, and i think it's clear enought.

I have a dell 9400 and installed 10.5.2 kalyway on it. I have 2 issues: 1- I updated imovie and itunes after installing the post-installation file, now my sound stopped working, it says "no output device found".

2- I can't get my resolution higher than than 1152 x 864. I updated it in the bootlist file it is 1440x900. I also have some mild artifacts when I move my mouse.

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7145

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1152 x 864

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

hey i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix the sleep problem..in a dell d620 running kalyway 10.5.2...coz everytime i sleep or close the lid...teh screen doesnt come back on...but i can hear the hard drive turn back on from sleep...thanx

I have a Dell XPS 1330 with the STAC 92XX C Major HD Audio card. I have installed the 9228's from the Dell Post package and I have the sound card coming up but I still get no sound. I have checked the Audio MIDI Setup and it finds everything but still nothing. I have everything else working 100% and this is driving me crazy. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hi there, and thanks for that usefull topic.

I will receive a XPS M1530 next week (i hope)

If i understand the process of installing leopard on dell, i will do :

Install vista ( fresh)

Install leopard (which version ?)

Install Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg.

Am i right ?

Thansk for all your work especially Sonotone (super boulot!)

i tired using 1.3.1 and i still get no sound even though i selected the right sigmatel device to install what iam i doing wrong.

also now when ever i click on the apple or finder up on the taskbar i get graphical glitches, same thing if i right click

can anyone help me out

edit: i also still do not have network either

i guess i will reinstall and try again.

ok after i reinstalled kalyway 10.5.1 i had my logitech headphones plugged in and i was getting sound and i can increase the sound and mute no problems, however when i take my headphones out i get no sound and when i try to use my media keys to increase the volume i get a circle with a line through it under the speaker symbol.

so i then ran the dell laptop post installer once again and installed the sound drivers for my sigmatel 9200 and still no change. i get sound through the headphones but not through my speakers.

also iam not familiar with kext/plist or anything like that but i checked library/pref folders and looked in my "sound" folder and it was empty im gonna go out on a limb here and say thats why iam not getting sound.

(btw iam typing in safari with osx running, no graphical glitches either now)

Can anyone help me out?

i will post any needed information.

Thanks in advanced!

hey guys nice work

i used this installer trying to fix the sleep, but ended up messing up the my other stuff

how can i uninstall it? i know it backed up all the .kext

thanx

for the kext's you can use a program called Kexthelper. You simply drag all the files into it.....it will ask you for your password and will replace the files for you.

For the files that are not kext's you should drag the new file out of where it is....and then drop the old one in its place.

I highly suggest opening disk utility after and repairing the permissions on your leopard drive.

Hi there, and thanks for that usefull topic.

I will receive a XPS M1530 next week (i hope)

If i understand the process of installing leopard on dell, i will do :

Install vista ( fresh)

Install leopard (which version ?)

Install Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg.

Thanks for all your work especially Sonotone (super boulot!)

Leopard kalyway?

ok after i reinstalled kalyway 10.5.1 i had my logitech headphones plugged in and i was getting sound and i can increase the sound and mute no problems, however when i take my headphones out i get no sound and when i try to use my media keys to increase the volume i get a circle with a line through it under the speaker symbol.

so i then ran the dell laptop post installer once again and installed the sound drivers for my sigmatel 9200 and still no change. i get sound through the headphones but not through my speakers.

also iam not familiar with kext/plist or anything like that but i checked library/pref folders and looked in my "sound" folder and it was empty im gonna go out on a limb here and say thats why iam not getting sound.

(btw iam typing in safari with osx running, no graphical glitches either now)

Can anyone help me out?

i will post any needed information.

Thanks in advanced!

You shouldn't need to do that, try downloading SoundSource. It let you manage if sound goes to speakers or headphones. You have to manually switch them. There is auto switch built into SoundSource but I havn't had luck with it.

<br />Good project! Just wanted to say that my XPS M1330 and I think all of them don't need cpus=1.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

HI,can you emaile me the Installer v1.3.1 ,I can not download it in my country.

youyun309899456@yahoo.com.cn

<br />Good project! Just wanted to say that my XPS M1330 and I think all of them don't need cpus=1.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi, sonotone,can you mail me the installer v1.3.1,I can not download it im my country,

youyun309899456@yahoo.com.cn

thanks very much!

My biggest gripe at the moment is that my XPS M1730 keyboard is mapped slightly differently to how I want. Alt seems to be mapped to my apple key (i.e. Alt+C will copy), ctrl and windows key seem to do nothing. Anyone know how I can remap these?

My biggest gripe at the moment is that my XPS M1730 keyboard is mapped slightly differently to how I want. Alt seems to be mapped to my apple key (i.e. Alt+C will copy), ctrl and windows key seem to do nothing. Anyone know how I can remap these?

I've been wondering this as well. it's driving me crazy in Firefox! Also does anyone know how to open a link to a new tab (ie in windows I would right click and hit T) I can't seem to make this work.

I would recommend you to use a software called Ukelele ( http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.ph...&id=ukelele ).

It is a keyboard layout editor.

Does the Kernel tscsync for Dual-Core (to preventing stuttering) makes the processor detected as 1 one core? I installed it on a friend's Dell M65 and Processor Pane shows it as PPC processor :(

Does the Kernel tscsync for Dual-Core (to preventing stuttering) makes the processor detected as 1 one core? I installed it on a friend's Dell M65 and Processor Pane shows it as PPC processor :huh:

Hi macgirl,

I have m1530 and 10.5.4 detects my system with 2 processors. should i install tscync??? I have no idea what the reasons are to install it.

Thanks!

Does the Kernel tscsync for Dual-Core (to preventing stuttering) makes the processor detected as 1 one core? I installed it on a friend's Dell M65 and Processor Pane shows it as PPC processor :(

no, everything should be ok. maybe you can fix it with osx86tools.

Thanks sonotone, I tell him.

Hi macgirl,

I have m1530 and 10.5.4 detects my system with 2 processors. should i install tscync??? I have no idea what the reasons are to install it.

Thanks!

No, the M1530 (and same generation of Dells) does not need it, only the previous generation.

The new ones work well with vanilla kernels.

hello sonotone, macgirl and everybody else,

I have the dell xps m1530 and have the Kalyway 10.5.2 install on my external hard drive and it boots up fine. I am trying to get the drivers working and saw this installer which im sure works great but for some reason i cannot get it to work. I run the installer, choose the drivers and install then i repair my disk permissions and i still cant get it to work. Am i missing a step or something? help would be amazing

thank you so much for making the installation of drivers soo much easier for so many dell users