Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Sonotone,

Is it possible to add this laptop shutdown fix to this? I don't remember where I found it on this board...and it is in a foreign language, but you keep basically click on the highlighted button, and when done repair permissions.

It changes something to the applehda which allows for shutdown again (but kills lineout - haven't figured out that one).

I'm attaching it.

Wow, this is a uncommon fix! If i understood well, it create a startup agent and a "fake" AppleHDA.kext where the agent copy, load and move back audio controller from the "real" patched HDA kext (AppleHDA.taruga in extension folder).

I guess when OSX is Shutting down, it try to unload the fake kext (empty).

You don't remember the author of this fix?

Wow, this is a uncommon fix! If i understood well, it create a startup agent and a "fake" AppleHDA.kext where the agent copy, load and move back audio controller from the "real" patched HDA kext (AppleHDA.taruga in extension folder).

I guess when OSX is Shutting down, it try to unload the fake kext (empty).

You don't remember the author of this fix?

Just found the thread I got it on. It was for an ALC268 but I can confirm that it works on my sigmatel 9200 in my dell e1505/6400

Only issue is when I use it I no longer get line out.

The thread is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...gmatel+shutdown

There is also a true mute fix here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry358164

I don't know if you can incorporate both -_- Shutdown AND Mute both work by default when installing from the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc and through all the updates since, but the card does not show up in hardware overview, and no line in (which no one has) or line out.

This method also used the older Taruga method, not the current where the card shows up in hardware overview.

Does your nvinject have vga out as well? Or should I just keep using the one I modded for 10.5.3 (works on 10.5.4). And does your dell post installer have the original About This Mac pic which it can replace (useful when using those custom discs that change the pic).

I can also confirm that my broadcom 10/100 does not work since 10.5.2. Technically what is happening is it MAY get an ip address...but when enough packets are sent through it it loses the ip and gets a loopback ip address. Most of the time it just defaults to a loopback.

And not that I'm asking a lot already -_- Can this install Chameleon and then install all the fixes into that?

This way we can install using a retail disc using boot-132 then run your utility and we are ready to go -_-

Install the pkg that I just posted above and let me know if it fixes the issue. Sounds like the same situation its made for :(
Thanks for trying, but no, my laptop will still boot until the point immediately after the apple logo changes to a blue screen, but then the screen will shut off, though I can still logon and hear any sound effects (from front row, volume up or down, etc.). Again unlike with the retail's stock AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext, the screen is actually blue for between several milliseconds and a half second, before shutting off. The retail kext doesn't allow the laptop's monitor to work at all right after the apple logo, but does allow an external display to work.

For now, I've reinstalled the tiger AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext. This allows boot up to work fine, but there is still mouse tearing and some artifacts. Thanks again for all of your effort. And otherwise, the installer is quite convenient, Sonotone, though I installed the Sigmatel 9200 support, and the shut down hangs (It did better but still had a spinning circle in the center of the screen with my prior Taruga HDA patcher solution).

Good luck!

Just found the thread I got it on. It was for an ALC268 but I can confirm that it works on my sigmatel 9200 in my dell e1505/6400

Only issue is when I use it I no longer get line out.

The thread is here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...gmatel+shutdown

There is also a true mute fix here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry358164

I don't know if you can incorporate both :) Shutdown AND Mute both work by default when installing from the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc and through all the updates since, but the card does not show up in hardware overview, and no line in (which no one has) or line out.

This method also used the older Taruga method, not the current where the card shows up in hardware overview.

Does your nvinject have vga out as well? Or should I just keep using the one I modded for 10.5.3 (works on 10.5.4). And does your dell post installer have the original About This Mac pic which it can replace (useful when using those custom discs that change the pic).

I can also confirm that my broadcom 10/100 does not work since 10.5.2. Technically what is happening is it MAY get an ip address...but when enough packets are sent through it it loses the ip and gets a loopback ip address. Most of the time it just defaults to a loopback.

And not that I'm asking a lot already :P Can this install Chameleon and then install all the fixes into that?

This way we can install using a retail disc using boot-132 then run your utility and we are ready to go :)

-Mute is already incorporate; i can incorporate shutdown fix (with some corrections). The kext inside kalyway distrib is the TBCarey's one, but it seem's to works only for 6400/9400. The hardware overview is provide by HDAEnabler, witch replace ALCInject.kext.

- VGA out needs a different NVCAP onto info.plist of NVinject.kext (and differ following graphic models). go to http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/ to find your own NVCAP value. If you want to change about this mac picture, you can use OSX86Tools Utility.

-I will never implement chameleon installation onto this package, but you can install then use the "assistant" i've made (based on OSX86Tools, on the first page of this topic) to install chameleon with David Elliot 132 boot.

Yes. Tell me if it's ok.

i installed the alc268 driver in ver.1.0, then apply the patch,shutdown problem still there

And after i installed the driver in ver.1.1, the sound shows "dev....." bla bla bla, the same as i used the hdafix patch. shutdown works. but when i restart, it stops at the spinning wheel, -v shows it keep creating crash report. i have to login with -x and delete the appleHDA and HDAenable, then i can restart again.

any way, u've done a great job mate.

And my alc268 code is different from the others, "0x1028026F"....

Great package sonotone. I have a suggestion though... why not have the installer run repair disk permissions automatically?

In your post-flight script, include the following shell command which will do this:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

The installer will need to be authenticated as root.

You may want to have this be a configurable option (e.g. "Don't Run Repair Disk Permissions After the Installation is complete") in case some people don't want to run it. It takes a few minutes to run.

I can confirm it works for me....but with closer inspection, it seems to work when I'm plugged in. If I'm completely on battery and shutdown it does not work. No clue about that one.

Same problem here. Did you have this issue with the original App?

In your post-flight script, include the following shell command which will do this:

CODE

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

The installer will need to be authenticated as root.

You may want to have this be a configurable option (e.g. "Don't Run Repair Disk Permissions After the Installation is complete") in case some people don't want to run it. It takes a few minutes to run.

In fact, you don't really need dto repair permissions in most of cases, because files permissions (in installer) are corrects. I just invite the user to do it for safety; regarding the quantity of files (~100), a script can fail...

ok, LAN on bcm440x is really works with problem, which i wrote upper. I thunk that it is my software problem, but i have bought asus wl-167g, and now internet works fine. Package is really cool, but bcm440x driver is not cool )) That problem was described by many people.

Thanks.

Same problem here. Did you have this issue with the original App?

Just undid what I did (thank you time machine) and yep...same problem existed with the original app.

Shuts down while plugged in...hangs when not. :( There has to be something in their checking the power usage or something!!!

Anyone here have these problems:

Going to sleep turns off the fans, and screen and just (instant)reboots the computer! and the fans dont turn back on unless i do a cold boot! (scary)

EDIT: SLEEP WORKS perfect when the laptop is unplugged! but no dice plugged in ;)

My trackpad is too FAST even on the slowest setting (tracking speed). Anyway to slow it down?

oops forgot to tell u...i've got the dell 1525

Ok, add in the v1.1. I I've tested it on my computer and the display sleep process at login and resolution change is OK.

Thank for this Nawcom.

would surprise me if the gma950 kexts from a 10.5.4 install work flawlessly with a 10.5.2 installation (which csn_pilot is using). Correct me if I'm wrong Sonotone, but I thought the kexts I gave you were from either 10.5.3 or 10.5.4?

Thanks to your build 0.35b I have almost everything running now on Vostro 1310.

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.3 with Kalyways combo update and then used apple update to 10.5.4

Problems left: no sound, no firewire and no cardreader working. Sleep is also faulty, Gma 3100 (maybe?) working correct.

The thing which needs to be fixed most is the sound.

Vostro 1310 has Alc268, which I chose at 0.35b installer. Before I installed it I had hda audio in output and nothing in input. The output didn't produce any sound though. After 0.35b install chosing alc268 as option both output and input at sound options are blank.

Any idea how this can be fixed?

Another thing is the battery time. I have the feeling it is roughly 50% of what it could be (2h instead of 4h). How can I find out if speedtep is working?

At 10.5.2 I took speedstep kernel (nothing in sound output). At 10.5.3 update I took vanilla kernel (hda sound in output - not working but some sound related bugs gone). After 0.35b install sound is empty again.

I am thankful for tips on the sound issue especially.

would surprise me if the gma950 kexts from a 10.5.4 install work flawlessly with a 10.5.2 installation (which csn_pilot is using). Correct me if I'm wrong Sonotone, but I thought the kexts I gave you were from either 10.5.3 or 10.5.4?

I just did a fresh reinstall from my BrazilMac disc, than installing retail dvd and pc efi, updating to 10.5.3 and post installer by sonotone. Graphics still did not work automatically, but using nawcom's fix by itself (not the post installer's fix), the screen turns on at boot, working well.

However, if I insert a USB thumb drive while OS X is already running, it is not mounted, or even recognized by disk utility. If I start the computer with the thumb drive inserted, all works as it should, and the drive is mounted on the Desktop.

One other issue is that once in several boot ups, I've noticed that I cannot right click on the desktop, and none of the hard drives show up on the Desktop, though they do show up in the Finder.

Thanks for all of your help

I just did a fresh reinstall from my BrazilMac disc, than installing retail dvd and pc efi, updating to 10.5.3 and post installer by sonotone. Graphics still did not work automatically, but using nawcom's fix by itself (not the post installer's fix), the screen turns on at boot, working well.

However, if I insert a USB thumb drive while OS X is already running, it is not mounted, or even recognized by disk utility. If I start the computer with the thumb drive inserted, all works as it should, and the drive is mounted on the Desktop.

One other issue is that once in several boot ups, I've noticed that I cannot right click on the desktop, and none of the hard drives show up on the Desktop, though they do show up in the Finder.

Thanks for all of your help

nobody said it would work automatically. as mentioned you either need to use hot corners to wake from display sleep or use nawcom's fix.

I had the problem with desktop not showing drives and no right click when I did not have a password to login to the desktop. after I created a password I got everything back on every boot. only "problem" (not really a problem and in fact a requirement for me) is that you have to type your pw after you boot. when you are at the desktop with the problems you described and logoff and login you get your desktop icons and functionality back too.

good luck

Another thing is the battery time. I have the feeling it is roughly 50% of what it could be (2h instead of 4h). How can I find out if speedtep is working?

speedstep will only work with a speedstep kernel. it won't work with vanilla as far as I know. this post may tell you how to check if it's working

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=758498

also search for speedstep on this site, there is a shell command that will tell you whether it's working or not from the list of frequencies it displays or similar.

speedstep will only work with a speedstep kernel. it won't work with vanilla as far as I know. this post may tell you how to check if it's working

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=758498

also search for speedstep on this site, there is a shell command that will tell you whether it's working or not from the list of frequencies it displays or similar.

There is a speedstep kext, witch works with the tuxx app, in the installer. You don't need a speedstep kernel to get it works. I've actually tested it with modbin and tsc sync kernels and it works great.

Just install "speedstep enabler" and launch speedstep.app (if installer's script is ok, you don't need to type your password until you move the application) to run throttling.

Original project is here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

Thanks to your build 0.35b I have almost everything running now on Vostro 1310.

I started with Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.3 with Kalyways combo update and then used apple update to 10.5.4

Problems left: no sound, no firewire and no cardreader working. Sleep is also faulty, Gma 3100 (maybe?) working correct.

The thing which needs to be fixed most is the sound.

Vostro 1310 has Alc268, which I chose at 0.35b installer. Before I installed it I had hda audio in output and nothing in input. The output didn't produce any sound though. After 0.35b install chosing alc268 as option both output and input at sound options are blank.

Any idea how this can be fixed?

At 10.5.2 I took speedstep kernel (nothing in sound output). At 10.5.3 update I took vanilla kernel (hda sound in output - not working but some sound related bugs gone). After 0.35b install sound is empty again.

I am thankful for tips on the sound issue especially.

You will have better results with the lastest build. (v1.1)

Thanks for the hint with the SpeedStep. I'll try to get it to work.

Though if I don't manage to enable sound somehow I am not sure if it's worth continuing.

You will have better results with the lastest build. (v1.1)

Humm humm, actually thats what I tried first. Starting the Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.1.pkg.dmg didn't do anything though (I guess it should display something similiar as 0.35b install screen).

Maybe I did something wrong somewhere being an apple newbie. ^^

Ok after trying again I installed 1.1 successfully.

Sound is working!

But I chose gma3100 drivers on install and now I am stuck at 1024x768 on the 1280x800 display. :lol:

Another thing: when I plug an external monitor the laptop display stays black after boot. Is there a way to set up multi monitor (e.g. 1280x800 on laptop and 1680x1050 on external lcd) How can I revert to the old graphic drivers or fix the resolution problem? A big thanks for your work and help so far!

edit: Sound output at speakers and headphones is working (switching manually) but microphone isn't (sound input says: internal speakers built-in).