Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm just about to buy a Dell XPS 1530 and was just wondering if the shutdown and restart problems can be workes around with the OSX86 Tools App? There are options to force Restart and Shutdown in there. Do they work until a proper fix arrives? Also, when I install, probably with Kalyway 10.5.2 which Kernel would you all recommend? I use the Vanilla on my home machine but maybe there is a more suitable one for this laptop? When I update to JaS 10.5.3 and then to 10.5.4 with Apple Update will this write over the Kernel I install in the original setup?

I hope this makes sense, I've been using OSX86 on my home machine for ages but have been lucky that the Kalyway releases just seem to work :)

Thanks in advance for any help....

Chris

So, the latest build is 1.1, and not .35b?

read the first page. 1.1 should be newer than 0.35, right?

There is a speedstep kext, witch works with the tuxx app, in the installer. You don't need a speedstep kernel to get it works. I've actually tested it with modbin and tsc sync kernels and it works great.

Just install "speedstep enabler" and launch speedstep.app (if installer's script is ok, you don't need to type your password until you move the application) to run throttling.

Original project is here: http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

You will have better results with the lastest build. (v1.1)

great, will try that.

thanks sonotone

is anyone else having luck with the shutdown testing? for me it works when plugged in but not on battery.

Ok, i've fixed the shutdown issue (at least on my computer).

If you want to test it, check the attached zip and replace LoadHDA folder into /Library/StartupItems/

Reboot, check "fix" on startup dialog box then reboot again.

EDIT: This wiil not works if you dont already have installed the fix. (first page or the original fix)

HDAShutdownFix.zip

Ok, i've fixed the shutdown issue (at least on my computer).

If you want to test it, check the attached zip and replace LoadHDA folder into /Library/StartupItems/

Reboot, check "fix" on startup dialog box then reboot again.

EDIT: This wiil not works if you dont already have installed the fix. (first page)

Nope....now it doesn't shutdown at all...not even while plugged in (I tested both while plugged and unplugged)

Is there any kind of info you need about my laptop from me to help this out.

Should I install the original "fix" I found? Although it kills the line out and mute :)

Or if you are doing more testing I can just leave things the way they are at this moment....it isn't killing me.

There is a speedstep kext, witch works with the tuxx app, in the installer.

works great, thank you. I installed the lidsleep by mistake in the same wash and it doesn't work with my system of course (system doesn't wake up from sleep). is there an easy way to turn that off again?

works great, thank you. I installed the lidsleep by mistake in the same wash and it doesn't work with my system of course (system doesn't wake up from sleep). is there an easy way to turn that off again?

Yes, just remove the kext "clamshelldisplay.kext" in extension's folder :) .

Nope....now it doesn't shutdown at all...not even while plugged in (I tested both while plugged and unplugged)

Is there any kind of info you need about my laptop from me to help this out.

Should I install the original "fix" I found? Although it kills the line out and mute :(

Or if you are doing more testing I can just leave things the way they are at this moment....it isn't killing me.

weird, it's working for me...

weird, it's working for me...

I just finished rebuilding the whole thing again (I ALWAYS keep my data and fixes on an external - so it actually doesn't take to long) . . .

and tried again. Still a no go.

I do have my specs in my signature but if you want more detailed info it isn't a problem.

NYC Coyote, just reread your post. are you saying that you get speaker mute when you plug in your headphones? or am I confusing this with sth else?

thanks

Well, when I use the sigmatel installer from here...yes...my speakers mute when I plug in the headphones. I didn't do anything special to get it that way...just works.

Problem is when I do the shutdown fix (not from here...that is still being tested and PLEASE TEST) it kills my line out. As well as my mute.

So its either line out/mute or shutdown....not both. Right now I decided on the line out / shutdown. Mostly because I will be on a plane in a week and I will probably watch a movie with my laptop.

Hi Sonotone and everybody,

I've received my brand new Dell 1525 and I'm trying to turn it into a Hackintosh.

I've tried with Jas 10.5.4, iAtkos v4 and Kalyway 10.5.2 but none of these seem to detect my wireless cards. I thought it was broken but I reinstalled vista and works perfectly.

As far as I know it is a Dell 1395, but it is not even detected when booting in verbose mode.

I installed your pkg when trying Kalyway 10.5.2, now I'm reinstalling Jas to see if it goes better with a 10.5.4 version.

Any hints on what to do?, is it a hardware problem, anyone had the same issue?

Thanks for your help !

I've received my brand new Dell 1525 and I'm trying to turn it into a Hackintosh.

I've tried with Jas 10.5.4, iAtkos v4 and Kalyway 10.5.2 but none of these seem to detect my wireless cards. I thought it was broken but I reinstalled vista and works perfectly.

As far as I know it is a Dell 1395, but it is not even detected when booting in verbose mode.

I installed your pkg when trying Kalyway 10.5.2, now I'm reinstalling Jas to see if it goes better with a 10.5.4 version.

Thanks for your help !

Try Leo4Allv3, The wireless has always worked for me on that dvd.

Thanks for your help !

U have to install a kext from http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=51725 the broadcom 1395 that we use had the harware id of 4315 i blieve. just follow the directions and u should have wireless working because i do. Iaktos v4 is your best bet.

Well, when I use the sigmatel installer from here...yes...my speakers mute when I plug in the headphones. I didn't do anything special to get it that way...just works.

Problem is when I do the shutdown fix (not from here...that is still being tested and PLEASE TEST) it kills my line out. As well as my mute.

So its either line out/mute or shutdown....not both. Right now I decided on the line out / shutdown. Mostly because I will be on a plane in a week and I will probably watch a movie with my laptop.

hmm, I tried the sigmatel installer from here but I don't get mute. never had a problem with shutdown either (guess that makes sense since the mute isn't working). will try this again.

edit1: tried again, no go. some kext with my installation must not be playing nice with this.

thanks

hmm, I tried the sigmatel installer from here but I don't get mute. never had a problem with shutdown either (guess that makes sense since the mute isn't working). will try this again.

edit1: tried again, no go. some kext with my installation must not be playing nice with this.

thanks

What happens if you start it from scratch? don't know if you can......if you see from my sig...I started with kalyway..using the sigmatel fix on that disc I had mute and shutdown but no line out or in.

Using the post-installer I get mute, line in, but no shutdown.

The second i use the shutdown fix I found I get shutdown, but lose the mute and line in functionality.

So I can get everything (but line in) but not all at the same time. Its very frustrating.

Not to get too far off topic, but the last time I checked, each separate package can be setup with a pre and post script where you do have root permissions, however, the final postflight script does not have root permissions, hence the need to sudo (and tpye in the password). I shortly figured that out when I first got my hands on package maker, mainly for unpacking stuff into the Extension s folder, giving root ownerships via chown, etc. If I'm way wrong then someone correct me, especially if there is a way for the post flight script to run under root automatically. <_< that would be way easier than adding post scripts to be run after each inside pkg.

Great package sonotone. I have a suggestion though... why not have the installer run repair disk permissions automatically?

In your post-flight script, include the following shell command which will do this:

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

The installer will need to be authenticated as root.

You may want to have this be a configurable option (e.g. "Don't Run Repair Disk Permissions After the Installation is complete") in case some people don't want to run it. It takes a few minutes to run.

*sonotone, thanks so much for this package.

I installed the package on a fresh install and the system keeps on saying:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: XPS M1530

I used the SMBIOS option to change it to pick MacBook Pro in the installer but it won't change.

I have also delted extensions.mkext, AppleSMBIOS and SMBIOSEFI, then I set permissions after install. Any ideas? I'm also running Chameleon.

Thank You!

There is a typo in your 1.1 package. On the Speedstep install-thingy it says "developpement", which should be "development" of course :).

For the rest you have a very niec and great package!! Well done and keep on going. Also check out http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=867826 < that post.

;) i wrote in french...!

Thanks, i saw this post, i'm waiting for more feedbacks to considerate those kexts.

Hi

Ive installed the wonderful package, thanks alot.

But im affraid i steel have no sound and my french keyboard isnt recognized. What else could i do ?

thanks

Open "international" in keyboard flag menu to check the right layout.

I guess you have no sound cause you own a M1330/1530. Check the Macgirl's thread to solve it.

I used the SMBIOS option to change it to pick MacBook Pro in the installer but it won't change

The smbios injector works, witch kernel are you using?

nawcom: take a look on Iceberg, i never tried this app but maybe you can manage it.

sontone...

when you used the shutdown fix did it keep your line in and mute?

what did you do to have it remain if so? since I can run that original app and have it work I'm thinking I maybe should just do it manually, and then we can compare the two to see what differences were between your setup and mine to have it not work on my machine.

This way it would hopefully work on others.

sontone...

when you used the shutdown fix did it keep your line in and mute?

what did you do to have it remain if so? since I can run that original app and have it work I'm thinking I maybe should just do it manually, and then we can compare the two to see what differences were between your setup and mine to have it not work on my machine.

This way it would hopefully work on others.

Line in not, but mute yes.

I've just change ALCInject references to HDAEnabler and change one more line of the startut script (but don't remember witch one), and change the priority load. I guess there is more thinks to try (and LoadHDA script is very simple, so you can open it in text editor then experiment) but i actually haven't the time.

Also, since TBCarey leave from this board after its latest tweaked HDAEnabler/AppleHDA, the best way is to investigate inside them to find a way to get sound trought speakers. But we need an experimented person for this...