Dell Laptops Post-installer - XPS, Inspiron, Vostro, Lattitude

sonotone

1,017 posts in this topic

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with Leopard 10.5.2 installed through leo4all. I then run the post-installer for the audio and power meter and repair permissions. When the computer is restarted, not only have these two things not worked but the trackpad and keyboard dont work either. The only consistent fix is to reformat and start over. Any help would be appreciated.

I just realized that it is not the post-installer that causes this problem. Is there maybe a compatability issue. Tiger 10.4.8 worked fine but leopard 10.5.2 causes this problem. What do i need to do to fix this.

Hi Sonotone,

1) Hey, do you mind adding a package in your post-installer?

I have a Vostro 1400 with ABNT2 keyboard layout (Brazilian Portuguese) and I think having this package directly in your pack would be great!

Plus, I believe I'm not the only one with a Dell made in Brazil. I attached the keyboard-layout to this message just in case.

2) Your post-installer still installs two-fingering with the media-keys?

I remember that when I tried to install my media-keys with your package some kind of preparation for two-finger scrolling came together, and since my laptop is a Vostro, (you know) this mess up with my trackpad. Well, the point is some posts ago I saw you saying you'd remove this, I want to know if you already did it, so I can install the media-keys directly from your package.

Thanks! :-D

Great work on this thread!

Leopard_PS2_ABNT2.pkg.zip

thanks for file, i'll include it for next build (it's the same K.layout for portugal?). I'll also fix issue that you mention, it's not done yet.

I just realized that it is not the post-installer that causes this problem. Is there maybe a compatability issue. Tiger 10.4.8 worked fine but leopard 10.5.2 causes this problem. What do i need to do to fix this.

Use the latest release (0.35b)

Okay, I am so close on my Dell Latitude, I really only have two issues that I cannot seem to find the right solution on and I am looking for some help.

Issue #1 Wake from Sleep - I never see the display again when waking from sleep, I have to press the power putton and enter to shutdown (then ironically I see a blue screen right before the system shuts down) <-- I think my laptop is taunting me ;)

Issue #2 Blue Background on Desktop - I cannot see any selected backgounds on my desktop, system preferences shows them and the preview display changes, but they never get applied. I tried to make another login and when I login with that idnetity I can see and change the backgrounds, but if I logout and switch back to my main identity, I only see the background of the other login and cannot change it, once I reboot, it reverts back to the blue screen. I read in some other threads that others have had this problem, but I could not find any solution.

Any assistance from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darkster

Okay, I am so close on my Dell Latitude, I really only have two issues that I cannot seem to find the right solution on and I am looking for some help.

Issue #1 Wake from Sleep - I never see the display again when waking from sleep, I have to press the power putton and enter to shutdown (then ironically I see a blue screen right before the system shuts down) <-- I think my laptop is taunting me :(

Issue #2 Blue Background on Desktop - I cannot see any selected backgounds on my desktop, system preferences shows them and the preview display changes, but they never get applied. I tried to make another login and when I login with that idnetity I can see and change the backgrounds, but if I logout and switch back to my main identity, I only see the background of the other login and cannot change it, once I reboot, it reverts back to the blue screen. I read in some other threads that others have had this problem, but I could not find any solution.

Any assistance from the group would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darkster

idk but the desktop background seems like a permission issue to me, grab the osx86tool by pcwiz and repair disk permission, or do it with apple's disk utility ...

thanks for file, i'll include it for next build (it's the same K.layout for portugal?). I'll also fix issue that you mention, it's not done yet.

Use the latest release (0.35b)

Hi, this is not the same as the Portugal keyboard layout.

And I have a update about the keyboard layout I sent to you: It seems that the key "/" on the keyboard is in conflict with the stop button in the media-keys! Up to now, I have no clue on solving it, but I'm still looking for something to change it somehow. I'll post here if something comes up.

EDIT:

Found out... the thing is them both (the abnt2 and the media-keys) use the same "/System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/MacOS/ApplePS2Keyboard", but in diferent versions/modifications. The ABNT2 keyboard have 2 or 3 extra keys a standard keyboard does not have, so the guy who made the kext edited that file. The same is for the media keys. Now I am thinking about create a third version of that kext to solve this... when I got time.

Cheers!

Hi, Sonotone and all.

I have dell 1720 and iAtkos_v4i installed.

hw:

- X3100 (works with QE/CI but maximum resolution is 1600*1200, i use 1600*1000 for fullscreen, i think it is impossible to have 1920*1200 on X3100, isnt it?)

- Sigmatel 9205 (not worked yet, but i think, it is because i did not install AppleSMBIOS, i will try next one)

- Intel 3945. There is no full worked driver.

- Broadcom BCM440X (works normally for 15-20 minutes, after that at random time the connection speed is 0 and i need to reboot for my network working) - this is my most famous problem, please help me, if you can. tia.

Hi, Sonotone and all.

I have dell 1720 and iAtkos_v4i installed.

hw:

- X3100 (works with QE/CI but maximum resolution is 1600*1200, i use 1600*1000 for fullscreen, i think it is impossible to have 1920*1200 on X3100, isnt it?)

- Sigmatel 9205 (not worked yet, but i think, it is because i did not install AppleSMBIOS, i will try next one)

- Intel 3945. There is no full worked driver.

- Broadcom BCM440X (works normally for 15-20 minutes, after that at random time the connection speed is 0 and i need to reboot for my network working) - this is my most famous problem, please help me, if you can. tia.

About resolution, try to force detection in com.apple.boot.plist,

Try to install sound with latest release (1.0), it should works,

BCM440X: It seem's there is problems with latest IonetworkingFamily kexts; try to check an old one (someone posted it on this topic), then run the V1.0.

hehey! thanks for 1.0! now i will try it.

But, what about ionetworkingfamily.kext? I must to install it first, then install 1.0 ? But the installer will remove this kext, and install from your package. isnt it?

hehey! thanks for 1.0! now i will try it.

But, what about ionetworkingfamily.kext? I must to install it first, then install 1.0 ? But the installer will remove this kext, and install from your package. isnt it?

The package will not install Ionetworkingfamily, just the Broadcom 440x support (installed inside the IOnetwork... kext)

oh, i see! will try now.

But sound is working!!!! its a magic, thank you and all girls and boys, who taked a part in creation of this package, you are cool :() but it is a begin. next for me is to find drivers for expresscard firewire controller on TI chipset. sound from my sound card cuts when i use 4-pin built in firewire controller.

okay, the network looks like it works fine :()) but i did not copy older ionetworking now, i just install your package. I think i've install ionetworking earlier, when i was trying to set network alive.

thanks.

eto prosto prazdnik kakoyta. ))

heh im surprised that you were trying out my fix

this is mainly for Dell GMAs that have the external screen issue, along with changing resolutions fine. Note that I'm using the GMA950 Natit kext at the same time that I run these.

http://nawcom.com/osx86/Screen%20Sleeper%2...staller.pkg.zip

The first option is for fixing the screen when logging in, the second is for taking care of the resolution changing issue. I've been working on taking care of opening and closing lids, as it causes similar issues for some.

Let me know if this works for anyone, as it fixes mine just fine - Dell Latitude D420

so, the network downs again... after that i downloaded ionetworking from this topic. installed it. repair permissions and reboot. there is no network. after that i installed bcm440x from 1.0 package. repaired permissions, rebooted. there is network :) but it has down again after 10 minutes. ((

How it looks:

- At first, the sites begins downloading very slow. It works that for 2-5 minutes.

- After that Browser(mozilla 3) only shows "looking for myspace.com..." for example.

- And after that i need to reboot.

what should i do? do the usb-to-rg45 from apple helps me? or d-link 110?

I just installed the gma 950 driver from version 1.0 of the installer. I'm running 10.5.2 on an inspiron e1505/6400 with retail vanilla dual core kernel 9.2. A very funny thing happens when I boot up. Every other time that I boot up, everything will be fine until the screen for a split second switches from the apple logo to blue, and then the screen shuts off and becomes black . I can hear audio when I adjust the volume and the computer is reponsive, except for the screen. When I plug in my external monitor, there are vertical lines of many colors, mainly blue on the external screen, but my laptop's screen remains black. After holding down the power button to reset the computer, and unplugging the display, I reboot the computer and everything then works perfectly fine, with no artifacts or mouse tearing at all, even with MS Office and Firefox. Before, with the tiger appleintegratedframebuffer.kext, there was always graphical tearing and artifacts.

If it helps, I installed the media keys enabler, the sigmatel 9200 support, Broadcom 440x, battery meter, lid sleep, and the 9400 trackpad scrolling (thought that this was close enough to my 6400). Is there a problem with lid sleep? Every time that I wake the computer from sleep, there is a kernel panic (Please restart your computer).

I'm thinking of reinstalling from scratch, but that is so inconvenient. Please help if you can.

Install the pkg that I just posted above and let me know if it fixes the issue. Sounds like the same situation its made for :)

I just installed the gma 950 driver from version 1.0 of the installer. I'm running 10.5.2 on an inspiron e1505/6400 with retail vanilla dual core kernel 9.2. A very funny thing happens when I boot up. Every other time that I boot up, everything will be fine until the screen for a split second switches from the apple logo to blue, and then the screen shuts off and becomes black . I can hear audio when I adjust the volume and the computer is reponsive, except for the screen. When I plug in my external monitor, there are vertical lines of many colors, mainly blue on the external screen, but my laptop's screen remains black. After holding down the power button to reset the computer, and unplugging the display, I reboot the computer and everything then works perfectly fine, with no artifacts or mouse tearing at all, even with MS Office and Firefox. Before, with the tiger appleintegratedframebuffer.kext, there was always graphical tearing and artifacts.

If it helps, I installed the media keys enabler, the sigmatel 9200 support, Broadcom 440x, battery meter, lid sleep, and the 9400 trackpad scrolling (thought that this was close enough to my 6400). Is there a problem with lid sleep? Every time that I wake the computer from sleep, there is a kernel panic (Please restart your computer).

I'm thinking of reinstalling from scratch, but that is so inconvenient. Please help if you can.

Hi, my laptop is vostro 1310. Everything works except alc268. After install the driver the shutdown problem shows up, and the HDA fix makes my 10.5.4 crash.

With kext helper, install the ALCInject.kext attached bellow then remove HDAEnabler.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/

Reboot and tell me if it's work please.

The shutdown problem is associated with sound (Taruga patcher).

ALCinject.kext.zip

Hi, Thanks to everyone for the Dell Post-installer so far! It's saved a LOT of time in terminal!

I was wondering if there was any chance of getting the dual core fix (tscsync) and the kernels into this. This would be very useful.

Thanks

Coleshill121

It's already done.

Sonotone,

Is it possible to add this laptop shutdown fix to this? I don't remember where I found it on this board...and it is in a foreign language, but you keep basically click on the highlighted button, and when done repair permissions.

It changes something to the applehda which allows for shutdown again (but kills lineout - haven't figured out that one).

I'm attaching it.

HDA_Fix_v3.zip