[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

Are you using a n USB drive? Does your PC boot from USB? If so just install to the USB drive. I have an it works very nicely. No need to mess around with boot sectors, MBRs etc. Mine is setup as GUID partition and using EFI V8 to boot.

Thanks Donk,

But the question I really need help is, is there anyway to set up the XP boot loader to dual boot XP and JAS (running of a USB HDD), from the boot menu, just like you can if you had both on the same HDD but 2 partitions?

Would it involve the CHAIN0 file and Easy BCD or would it be best to use Archos?

Thank you for your time

All the best

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 - just FYI my actual Hackintosh or it that Donkintosh?

Dell Latitude D620 laptop

4 GB RAM

120GB internal HDD NTFS MBR formatted drive

160GB Iomega eGO USB drive GUID HFS+ formatted drive

JaS 10.5.2 installed to USB drive using all patches and options. Selected EFI GUID bootloader during setup. Networking doesn't work as the D620 has unsupported Broadcom 5752M and Intel 3945abg chipsets. However, the MacBook Air USB Ethernet driver works great, and for £18 is a simple solution for now. Sound also not yet working. Everything else; e..g Nvidia graphics, dual montiors when docked, USB devices all run fine.

As for chaining from XP really don't know about that. As I said I'm not sure what that would give you over using the BIOS boot selector. One product I use all the time is BootIT NG. very powerful boot manager. I have some very complex multi-boot machines in the office; e.g. multi-boot Windows, Linux, Solaris, VMware ESX for comparative speed tests. However, not tried with OSX. Might be useful to test in VMware first. If you do use it, make sure you only use VGA graphics when setting up the installation media, or you won't see anything in a VMware guest.

Hi Donk,

Just to let you know I have tested iATKOS 2.0i (Fixed Version). It works great!! The only problem I have is that it runs slow, could you test it yourself and see if you have any luck to speed it up.

Thank you for your time

All the best

NSCXP2005

Pcwiz leopard image works very slow because IDE hard disk seems to work in PIO mode (maximum 1Mb/sec transfer). I've copied system to SCSI disk, now system accesses hard disk much heavier while booting, but after 10-15 seconds of booting virtual machine just turns off. Any ideas why is this happening or how to avoid this?

Did you find a solution to this problem?

OS X doesn't play nice on VMware with SCSI devices so its not really an option :)

Metuas,

In the 10.5.2 update transparent menus are gone :(

Thanks everyone for contributing :)

Hi NSCXP2005

Haven't found a torrent yet for iATKOS 2.0i. Also about to go on the road to America next week, so won't have a great deal of time. Will look into it when back in sunny Manchester.

OS X doesn't play nice on VMware with SCSI devices so its not really an option :(

I'm aware of that  :) , however I was wondering if someone found another way of convincing the Leopard not to run like a 486 machine  ;) . I have a OSX 10.4.1 virtual machine in VMWare, which runs like 10 times faster...

Cheers, 

D

I need some help here. When I try to access the internet, it wont load. It says its not connected. However, on network in system preferences,

there is a green light on ISP and Network, but a red on ethernet, and yellow on the rest. I am trying to use my wifi. How can I get it to work?

Just a quick note for those with the graphics issues...

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

and edit the Kernel Flags to

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" -vmware</string>

So mine looks like this

?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" -vmware</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Oh, and network and sound both work OK in VMWare 6.5 beta, as does the USB (although I only seem to get 1.1 sorta speeds even though USB2 device compatibility is turned on), but hey, it's working OK, so I'm happy.

Works a treat for me... obviously change the resolution to whatever you need.

Hope that helps.

I'm aware of that , however I was wondering if someone found another way of convincing the Leopard not to run like a 486 machine . I have a OSX 10.4.1 virtual machine in VMWare, which runs like 10 times faster...

Cheers,

D

It seems like VMware installs are getting slower by the version. 10.4.1 Deadmoo and 10.4.3 w/ maxxuss patch were the fastest OS X on VMware. 10.4.7-10.5.x has been pretty slow.

The -vmware option is available in most of the 'hacked' kernel's... It's meant to improve stability and performance when running under VMWare, I think it it changes the 'FSB' of the kernel for better timing with VMWare, and also some memory settings.

It's under testing at the moment, but seems to help out with mine, so I use it, other people's experience may be different.

Works fine on PCWiz's build as far as I can tell.

Oh, here's a good list of all the parameters you can use.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99891

cool, ill check those out, cuz mine was running REALLY slow (x64 image on x86 cpu?) Any way, sorry to be a nag, but I need my wifi fixed really bad. Cant get it natively, but it might work virtually. I pointers? Network and ISP are green, ethernet is red, and everything else is orange.

Here's my VMX, give it a go, see what happens, WiFi and Wired lan both work honkey dorey on my 6.5Beta install...

# Hacked by Donk - Mods by The Ape

bios.bootDelay = "5000"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "FALSE"

config.version = "8"

deploymentPlatform = "windows"

displayName = "Leopard"

ehci.pciSlotNumber = "33"

ehci.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.address = "00:50:56:11:22:33"

ethernet0.addressType = "static"

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

ethernet0.wakeOnPcktRcv = "FALSE"

extendedConfigFile = "leopard.vmxf"

floppy0.autodetect = "TRUE"

floppy0.fileName = "A:"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

guestOS = "darwin-64"

ide0:0.fileName = "leopard.vmdk"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.redo = ""

ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"

ide1:0.exclusive = "FALSE"

ide1:0.fileName = "E:\SW_DVD5_Office_Mac_2008_English_MLF_X14-18333.ISO"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.startConnected = "FALSE"

memsize = "652"

mks.keyboardFilter = "allow"

monitor = "release"

monitor_control.disable_checkcode = "TRUE"

monitor_control.disable_checkcodeexpire = "TRUE"

nvram = "leopard.nvram"

paevm = "TRUE"

pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"

pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"

priority.grabbed = "high"

scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.present = "TRUE"

svga.autodetect = "TRUE"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

tools.syncTime = "FALSE"

tools.upgrade.policy = "useGlobal"

usb.autoConnect.device0 = ""

usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

uuid.action = "KEEP"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 50 97 29 7a 74 3f-a8 4a 39 81 24 7b c7 78"

uuid.location = "56 4d a0 95 34 a4 23 e4-ac 36 c1 b7 e9 ea 23 7b"

virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"

virtualHW.version = "6"

unity.customColor = "|23000000"

debugStub.linuxOffsets = "0x0,0xffffffff,0x0,0x0,0x1,0x0,0x0,0x0,0x7a0,0x0,0x2c,0x1,0x3,0x2000"

checkpointFBSize = "16777216"

sound.pciSlotNumber = "34"

ethernet0.linkStatePropagation.enable = "TRUE"

vmci0.present = "FALSE"

RemoteDisplay.vnc.enabled = "TRUE"

isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"

sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"

vmci0.unrestricted = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"

sharedFolder0.hostPath = "C:\Users\Ashleigh\Desktop"

sharedFolder0.guestName = "Desktop"

sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"

noob alert!

pcwiz, anybody, kindly help out.

I'm trying to run leo4vmware on Vista Ultimate (32-bit) using WS 6.5 beta (e.x.p build-91182). When I start the VM it tells me I'm running with the debug option which cannot be disabled in this build..., then after showning the boot screen, the VM crashes, saying there is a problem with this version of vmware...

I tried to us The Ape's/Donks vmx file and it also doesn't work, saying this is an ACE system.. I've read somewhere that 6.5 beta is the best version for running leo4vmware, what other options do i have if the best is not working for me?