[Release] Leo4VMware by ~pcwiz

504 posts in this topic

This advice is all for my Leo4VMware image, not Leo4All (doesn't boot in VMware). Shoulda named it something more creative...lot of people getting confused between Leo4VMware and Leo4All...and some thing that Leo4VMware is a "vmware-ized" version of Leo4All, when it is in fact a Leopard flat image setup.

I know I am going to sound like a noob but how to i mount leopard.vmdk?

I tried mounting it through Daemon tools however it comes up as an error. Do you mean mount as an hdd? and if so How?

Thanks

-Stang

Pcwiz leopard image works very slow because IDE hard disk seems to work in PIO mode (maximum 1Mb/sec transfer). I've copied system to SCSI disk, now system accesses hard disk much heavier while booting, but after 10-15 seconds of booting virtual machine just turns off. Any ideas why is this happening or how to avoid this?

Hi using Leo4All original version 1 on win xp pro. using 6.02-build 59824. Haven't been able to get networking to work. I am using bridged network and bridging to my ethernet adapter using vmware networking settings. After that I changed my mac address inside the leopard vm using

ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

and then i changed my ip address to a static ip using

ifconfig en0 inet 192.168.1.4/24

After this I set up my DNS client by adding following lines in the /etc/resolv.conf file

nameserver 192.168.1.1

Now, the problem is that the DNS is not working at all. I cannot ping any hostname. However when I type

dig google.com

or

nslookup google.com

I can see a perfectly valid reply but I cannot ping google.com . I cannot connect to google.com using safari. However, if i put in the ip of google.com I can see the webpage properly loaded. Can anyone give me any idea what might be happening here ? I am stuck like so near to the solution.

U forgot one thing:

route add <default gateway ip address> default

Next to that, change ifconfig en0 ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx into ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

if u put it all into a script (something like ~/setnetwork.sh)[don't forget chmod 777 setnetwork.sh]:

[script]

#/bin/bash

sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

sudo ifconfig en0 inet 192.168.1.4/24

sudo route add <default gateway ip address> default

mkdir /Volumes/<some nifty name>

mount_afp afp://<username>:<password>@<afp server ip address>/<share> /Voumes/<some nifty name>

ping 194.109.6.66

[/script]

u can run this script every time u want, and leave the apple network setting default (if u have dhcp server)

U should see then, if u have the terminal window open, that after a little while, ifconfig -a will show that your mac has two ip addresses. From that point on, u can browser onto the internet.

hope this helps.

VMDKs are the same. The virtual software can be changed from one of the menus but can't remember which one and sitting at a real Mac at the moment.

I went to using a real DVD for this one, as it seems it needs one. However, I wouldn't bother spending too much time as it doesn't boot after installation!

You don't have to use GUID. When you partition the drive select MBR in the options dialog in Disk Utility. Then when you install JaS select either "Darwin X/x86 Bootloader" or "PC EFI MBR".

Hi Donk,

Just tested it in VMWare dual booting before I proceed. WORKS GREAT!!!

Can you tell me if it is possible to get XP's boot loader to boot Leopard from another HDD using the CHAIN0 file instead of it being on the same partition as XP?

All the best

NSCXP2005

Actually, AFAIK, if you make a new VM in WS6.5 and choose "Use an existing virtual disk" and choose the leopard.vmdk file, it should prompt you whether you want to convert the leopard.vmdk to the new format. I don't see why you'd want to convert it though ;)

NSCXP2005 & ~pcwiz

Not sure what you are after here. There is one new VMDK format in WS 6.5 but that is for streaming across the web and actually can't be used to run a guest (I do have the specs for these formats from VMware). All the other VMDK formats are the same between 6.0 & 6.5. However if you are talking about converting between the types e.g. 2Gb split sparse and flat pre-allocated (maybe if you wanted to write it directly to a real drive!) then use vmware-vdiskmanager in the main program folder.

Hi Donk,

I have solved the problem with converting VM's from 6.0 to 6.5.

The test I am trying is to have a VM with 2 HDDs 1st with XP and the 2nd with JaS Leopard.

I installed them both, but how do I get XP's boot loader to boot JaS from the 2nd HDD?

What tool would be best to use, i.e Easy BCD or Archos? or would XP's boot loader work.

The reason I am testing this is I would like to install Leopard on my Laptop but not on my XP drive, I would like to install it on a External HDD.

I hope you can help me with this situation.

All the best

NSCXP2005

p.s Donk, just found out that iATKOS v2 does not work as it has been corrupted, They will be releasing a fixed version soon. When they do will you test it?