The 99% sure way to fix SoundMax Sound (ATTENTION UPDATED AS OF 11/24/07)

Grav3Mind

160 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
another satisfied customer here

thx alot

asus p4p800 with soundmax 10.4.8 (sound worked out the box but in the mic jack and not 5.1)

finaly managed to change the speaker output, and now can get full 5.1 tested with movies

thx for the great tutorial, and i leared something new on os x

Hi, how can get 5.1 fully sound? i got Asus P4P800SE with SoundMax (AC97 - AD1985). Only two channels works fine but MIC SubWoofer+Central Speaker not) Detail: i test all channels in SETUP SPEAKER and WORK!... but... not really on iTunes <_<

Thx alot 4 ur help, my little english sux :star_smile:

Jas 10.4.8 patched to 10.4.9

UPDATE FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE THAT MAY STILL BE HAVING TROUBLE!!! PLEASE READ FRONT POST!!!
Ok read it. Sent you a PM but your inbox was full. I'm sure some other people might have suggested it, but try these.

VNC Client - http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

VNC Server - http://www.redstonesoftware.com/products/v...eosx/index.html

I've never used them before, but I've used Windows VNC Client/Servers to remote control computers before. Hope this helps!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, thanks for the trick. It partially worked for me.

(I ear a "noise" instead of "TADA" when I do the trick )

I can change sound volume, I can listen music in itunes, I can play divx with sound in QuickTime, mic is ok.

But I can't ear sound from GarageBand and I can't ear my interlocutor in skype.

My computer is an Optiplex 170L.

Anyone has the same problem ?

thx

Flo

i have the same problem regarding Garageband. I got sound working in other apps, but not garageband.

Help! I've tried all three of these guides, Google, and just about every other combination of setup that I can think of and still no audio. My laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S150) has the AD1981B Codec Chip. Hardware specs were found on a Linux forum. I did an lspci -n from an Ubuntu live cd (no windows will be on this machine and I wiped my Gentoo install) to get the vendor and device id -- the vendor is 8086 (Intel) with a device id of 24c5. I've edited the ICH6 key on the AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext file and added the ADS70 codec to the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext. I even tried one suggestion of adding an ICH7 key, which didn't work either.

I've been over this numerous times and even started over from scratch a number of times, just in case there was a typo or something. Any advice? At this point, the only audio I have is through my modem speaker.

EDIT FOR HARDWARE INFO:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

NOTE: confirmed that I have the device ID for ICH4 key set to 0x24c58086

I'm wondering if the problem isn't the modem using the same audio channel. I do have sound via the modem, but not the actual sound card. When I check the audio/midi settings, I see the AC97 Audio (PCM). Here is the hardware info for the modem:

00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)

Here's the output for the audio channel check:

kextstat | grep -i ac97

55 2 0x25b8a000 0xd000 0xc000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97Audio (1.0.0) <54 11>

56 0 0x25b97000 0x4000 0x3000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97AudioIntelICH (1.0.0) <55 16 11>

67 0 0x203b7000 0x2000 0x1000 com.apple.driver.AppleAC97CodecAD198x (1.0.0) <55 11>

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide to be of assistance.

I have the same problem .

there seems to be only 2 channels in the MIDI setup.

there is also a volum control.

but still no sound!

sorry for my poor English.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everybody,

this comes straight from Grav3mind himself...

Seems that the link to the .kext file is down at this time. He's pretty busy at the time but he'll get us a working link ASAP

Of course anyone else who has the time and the working .kext could step up here. Let's go people!

• 3 weeks later...

i've just done Grav3mind's tutorial, but after i reboot i get an error message telling me that AppleAC97Audio.ktext doesn't work and that I should reinstall it or contact the vendor...

as contacting the vendor poses a problem (:)), i reinstalled the ktext numerous times, but keep getting the same error...

i'd hate to have to boot into ubuntu everytime i need audio, though ;)

can anyone help me with what i can try?

Hey everybody,

this comes straight from Grav3mind himself...

Seems that the link to the .kext file is down at this time. He's pretty busy at the time but he'll get us a working link ASAP

Of course anyone else who has the time and the working .kext could step up here. Let's go people!

Update: The kext is back up after the forums crew has restored the old archive pages where the kext can now be found in the link in my tutorial! :).

hey just thought I'd post, I used your instructions and it works! Thanks so much! I'm running a Dell 1100 w/ a soundmax card... now off to make my linksys USB wifi adapter work!

Thanks again, great tutorial!

• 2 weeks later...

I folowed your instructions exacty, but it didnt worked. I dont get any error massage and i cant move the volume slider.

I have:

Soundmax Integrated soundcard AD1986a

P5LD2 se asus motherboard

Please help i tried all guides that i could find and i still cant get it work.

Hello,

I've installed Jas 10.4.8 DVD on a P4 3.0 GHz, mobo Asus P4P800-X (AD1888 SoundMAX) and I can't hear any sounds.

The volume glider can be moved. I've followed the instructions at the begining of the thread, stiil cand move the volume glider, but still no sound.

When trying to follow the tutorial, I get this:

m-computer:/ root# kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext appears to be valid
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext is already loaded

Please advice ;)

Thanks for your time!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

I have read this post and tryed over and over again to add in the KEXt that is posted on the front page.

Even followed the section at the bottom.

How ever I still have no sound or can get the sound card to apear in the Input or output sections of the Sound Menu.

I dont get any errors when loading the KEXT,however when I reboot after loading the new appleac97audio.kext I get lots and lots of scrolling text that I can't make out, its to fast.

Once it goes to the next screen I can see all the various stuff loading, and it says that it can't open the appleac97audio.kext.

I have a toshiba portege m100 laptop with a Soundmax AC 97 sound card. nothing fancy. I just want the sounds to be able to play so I can hook up my ipod.

Any idea's please Help

MIke

You shouldn't say you are 99% sure when you don't really know what's going on. That methods only works with certain models.

im sorry if it didnt work for you. i was just trying to think of a positive title...@_@...oh..and how long have you been here? and HOW many people hae you helped? ...hmm yeah thats what I though. please dont shoot your mouth off with random usleless comments, as they have no place here. i am just trying to help..and no its not perfect.....were alldoing this just because we like to help people.

So hush?

Please and thanks

~Fin~

• 3 weeks later...

hi i'm running 10.4.8 with a soundmax integrated audio AD1986a on an asus a8s-x motherboard.

I tried your tutorial and the kext loads fine, but after rebooting still no devices listed, and when typing

kextstat | grep AC97, nothing comes up

i've also tried a fix where I change a value to ADS78 in the AppleAC97CodecAD198x.kext file and reload but it made no difference

any help would be much appreciated. driver problems are something i've always wanted to know how to fix myself : D

• 3 weeks later...

with:"kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext"

terminal say:

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext appears to be valid

Unable to allocate pad vm for /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach - (os/kern) no space available

kextload: error mapping module file /System/Library/Extensions/System.kext/PlugIns/Mach.kext/Mach

kextload: can't map module files

kextload: can't check load addresses of modules

kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

(run kextload with -t for diagnostic output)

why?

Drive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

i have done the steps in 1 Post...

i have VEN ID 11D4 and Dev 198B

i have edited the kext ...

i can load the kext... successfully as terminal says...

when i do a kextstat i see the kext in last line...

but after reboot the kext is gone and still no sound ?! what did i'm wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all , I have Jas 10.4.8 on my nx8220 with sound Max I have sound on speaker , but when i used headphone ,i have always sound on speaker??can you help me ?Hi all , I have Jas 10.4.8 on my nx8220 with sound Max I have sound on speaker , but when i used headphone ,i have always sound on speaker??can you help me ?