[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

@redronin

Thank you for heads up. I have just sold my XFX nForce 680i Lt motherboard to my brother and will be buying EP35 from newegg. I am willing to believe that it will come with 2.0 BIOS but I will see... As soon as I get it I wi be posting here my experience.

@pcwiz

I have woted for you on this forum :P keep up good work!

Thanks macciti! :P

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I added a little note about a bug in the installer on the first post. The bug is, even after you do a full complete install of the package, sound still doesn't work for some reason. The simple easy fix is to run the installer a second time this time only choosing the Sound Drivers and nothing else. Added that to the first post so people don't get confused :)

hey pcwiz, great guide - seems like a lot of people are having success, but I seem to have a problem.

Durring the install, about 20% in, I get an error saying that the installer could not find the essentials package or something. I rebooted followed everything correctly again, except let it scan the DVD to check for problems, but there were no problems and I got the same error. I tried again and same problem. I am using an IDE DVD drive, but it does not find any problems when scanning so I do not think that is the problem. I have also used Tiger on this motherboard without any problems. I haven't got the chance to reburn the ISO yet since I am not at home, but I wanted to know if you recognized the problem.

Thanks - Hellsoap.

Hellsoap,

First of all, there are problems with installing from an IDE DVD drive on these boards, because of the JMicron controller. What you could do is just buy (only about $30) a SATA DVD drive or temporarily borrow one from a friend. Also, it sounds like your DVD is corrupt so do these steps to ensure a perfect burn:

1) Verify the MD5 hash of your Kalyway ZIP file and make sure it matches aff692cfe4daaae471f528974f5bac07

2) Unzip the zip file with either BOMArchiver if you are on OS X (its the default double click unzip that comes with OS X) or with WinRAR if you are on Windows. You MUST unzip it with one of those two otherwise it gets corrupted.

3) Once you have it all unzipped, verify the MD5 hash of the kalyway_leo_10.5.1 ISO. It should match f8546bde2a5b3c7dff47f2aab31862a9

4) Burn the ISO to a quality DVD-R disc (quality disc, not cheap junk, and don't use a rewritable disc) at a slow speed of 4x (don't use max speed)

You should now have a perfect disc, try again with the new one :rolleyes:

Yeah I got the version on TPB that someone uploaded the ISO unzipped - and I just checked the MD5 on it and it didn't match, I'm getting the zipped on right now and I'll try again.

For those who still have to download - be aware of the unzipped ISO not released by kalyway.

o, ok... thank you. By the way i have noticed that we have same computer case :P Next week i will have 90% copy of your box pcwiz :D I just really want to get Leopard work... with my current mobo, it was impossible using kelyway method. I cant tell you how many time i have tried but with no luck. Hopefully this will work.

~pcwiz,

Thanks for the great guide! After several attempts I was finally able to install Kalyway 10.5.1 using a Pioneer (DVR-A05) IDE DVD/RW drive. For some reason, my first attempts using two other IDE DVD drives would fail near the end of the install (< 5 % remaining), with an error about not being able to validate the contents of the 'Java' package.

After the Kalyway install, I was able to install almost all of the updates and drivers. The only problem I had was with the sound drivers, but following your recommendation of reinstalling just the sound drivers at the end of the process, fixed the sound card detection issue. I now have a very fast GA-P35-DS3P, Quad-core (Q6600), 2 GB RAM, 8800 GT (512 MB) box running OS X (10.5.2)!

Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Cool :P

P.S. Upgrade that GeForce 5200, not going to work with OS X :D

EDIT: Sorry TDIDawg, posted this just after your post. But yeah, I'm happy you got it to work, and sometime I may decide to look into that sound issue a bit further. I think it might have to do with ALCinject.kext, but I don't know for sure. But the fix is quick for now so not a huge deal.

My MD5 hash for the zip is B2DEF56863416906739C91D85F3989A4F7D17512 according to uTorrent. I got the zip released by kalyway himself on TPB, and the torrent's been done for over an hour. I'm gonna go ahead and burn this ISO and try it out, but where could the file of differed?

EDIT: Well the burn failed, I guess I could download it for the third time...

@hellsoapWhere are you downloading your files from? I used rapid***re. It contains 45Zip folders total of 4+Gb. It worked like magic in my case. If you got your files from there and need a specific "zip" folder number, maybe i can help.plus, if you pay like $7 you will be able to get all files right away without wait. That if you are willing to pay some $ ;) Hope i can be a help.

hey guys how do i find out what version of BIOS i have when i get my EP35-DS3P mobo?

Just check the post screen when you first boot the machine. It will either display F1 or F2. Hit the pause key to freeze it if it goes by too fast.

macciti,

7600GT is an excellent choice, go for it :(

Hellsoap,

That number is not the MD5 hash, its a torrent hash check. Check the MD5 hash with a utility like WinMD5 for Windows. And also, you may be getting those errors because of a bad extract. Use WinRAR if you are on Windows or BOMArchiver (default) if you are on OS X.

Hope this clears some things up :)

I just wanted to share my experience using this guide.

Success and my system is running smooth and swift.

My hardware specs are as follows:

Intel E6300 @1.86Ghz OC to 2.8Ghz (400x7) @1.24 Vcore

4x1GB DDR2-667 running @ 400Mhz 5-5-5-15

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L v2.0

500GB WD Caviar SE16

500GB Maxtor SATAII

EVGA 7600GT 256MB

The guide was really easy to follow and a few tweaks are needed to get the DS3L MB to comply but it was relatively pain free.

My Xbench CPU scores 175. I am amazed at the speed of this system.

@ bugsnt

nice, nice!!! aspecially to know that you used EVGA 7600GT 256MB video :D thats the one i am going to buy today i think... cant wait to get it all working.