[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

Cathul,

Glad it worked. PS/2 should work with vanilla using the PS/2 fix option in my installer package :)

Unfortunately not with my installation. Tried this and had some work to do to reinstall the patched kernel afterwards to get my keyboard back. Oh well, time to get an USB keyboard then i guess. :(

~pcwiz, Thank you for your contributions to the community. I followed your guide on my GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0 and it worked beautifully... My next project is to try my hands at a retail DVD install.

So the sound is working, I just have two nitpicks:

1. Front audio jack is not working.

2. Sound quality is not quite as good as Windows.

Any suggestions for iTunes equalizers or anything to improve the sound quality?

I can confirm that front audio out is not working here either. Some brief searching shows that this is an outstanding issue.

I got the best sound quality by turning the volume DOWN in System Preferences, and then turning it UP on my amped speakers.

(Oh, then I was lucky to have downloeded mine yesterday.... ;) )

Thank you for your efforts ~pcwiz.

I have a few questions though before I proceed.

I want to install osx according to your guide but with multiple booths for Ubuntu and perhaps Vista. I am about to order a ga-p35-ds3p with Seagate Barracude 7200.11 of 750GB and I already have one single DVD drive but it only has an IDE connection! (I have no thumb-drive but I do have a WD Mybook essential full of data which I could (partly or completely) copy to a friend's hardrive and then erase to make room for a partition to install from although I should find a good guide to know whether and how this is possible because I still could'nt find out - any suggestions? nb any suggestions about a clear multiboothguide is welcome as well although probably one of them on the project wiki or here in the genius bar will have to suffice i guess).

My real question is, and I think you feel me coming already: I thought Gigabyte had its own ship to control the additional SATA and IDE devices (that was one of my motivations to choose a board from them) but now I read in your guide that it has Jmicron. Does this mean that I won't be able to install from my IDE DVD? Does that also mean that I will not be able to use it at all on OSX or any of te two other OS's I intend to instal and could just as wel throw it away :blink: ? Given the internal HDD I am to buy and the external HD that I already posess would it be able to install from a partition made on one of these? (I suppose in my case I best use GUID). I know about and have read many other threads about this IDE issue, but I just get more and more confused the more I read these apparently contradictory posts, so any more definite answers would help... I have also read in two fora of motherboardmanufacturers on the internet but I have the same problem there... I just can't imagine that the mobo facturers would leave such a prominent issue unresolved...

The other question that worries me is the following: I read in the guide that you were unable to acces your data partition, have I understood this right? Now I would like to have a couple of partitions with alternative osx's (perhaps even one partition for each new mode of installing osx i tried out because then I could still use an earlier installed one if my sacrifice of little animals failed in newer installations - or is this way too paranoid? :wacko: ). I would also like to have one singe data partition that I could read from or write on from any of these thre OS's that I installed? Is this possible or not? Is it easely done just using disk utility or some similar program and format to a file system? Which file system would be reccomended to use Fat32 is more limited in data width, no so can these OS's now all write to a NTSF data partition or which file system is to be reccomended?

And then just a smal question about one point in your guide. When altering the specified bios options did you reccomend to save these changes as a default or was it just a remark regarding leaving everything else default.

Many thanks for your patience with my silly (and verbose :hysterical: ) newbie questions...

I can confirm that front audio out is not working here either. Some brief searching shows that this is an outstanding issue.
Are there any mobo's with ample evidence to work as well or better with osx and do not have this issue (and are not worse in built quality and specs)?

Seems mediafire is offline for maintenence. Any chance at hosting the guide in another location as well. Thanks

Yes, if you could pcwiz, please upload to another location like RS if you have time. Thank you! I look forward to installing it on my DS3L. It's almost the same with different audio chipset and it's ICH9 instead of 9r (I believe).

OK everyone I'm uploading to to rapidshare as a mirror. Mirrors will be posted on the first page when upload is done.

brojo,

Vista, Ubuntu, OS X Multi boot guide here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=44974. There does seem to be a problem with IDE drives on the JMicron. I strongly suggest that you use a SATA DVD drive. I was able to access my Data partition after installing the SATA driver from Dune (included in my package) so you should be fine there :( For a partition that all three can write to, use FAT32. The BIOS settings meant to change the BIOS settings mentioned in the guide if necessary and leave everything else default :)

Every motherboard has some problems, the Gigabyte P35s are one of the best.

EDIT: Mirrors have been posted on the first post (rapidshare) ;) Happy downloading!

My real question is, and I think you feel me coming already: I thought Gigabyte had its own ship to control the additional SATA and IDE devices (that was one of my motivations to choose a board from them) but now I read in your guide that it has Jmicron. Does this mean that I won't be able to install from my IDE DVD? Does that also mean that I will not be able to use it at all on OSX or any of te two other OS's I intend to instal and could just as wel throw it away ;) ?

My internal IDE-DVD didn't work either, so i used an external IDE-DVD connected with USB.

After you've installed everything your internal IDE-DVD should work without problems, at least i didn't experience any problems since i finished my installation.

/Cathul

Thanks very much for your help ~Pcwiz and Cathul! :unsure:

I'll go with the ds3p then and the solution for the data partition! :(

I have just one more question about the above if I may.

Would it be possible to install from a partition on my HDD mentioned above or a partition on my exernal HDD which is however full of data now? In the latter case, should I backup and erase all data to make room for the HDD as one single partition or is defragmenting and having a space for a second partition just large enough to copy the content of the iso onto after it has been unpacked?

(Otherwise I'll ask if I can borrow a sata DVD from a friend if he has one and add it to my tower just temporarily for the installation only. I could also buy an additional sata dvd or a housing and cables to make the IDE dvd external as Cathul suggested, though that seems a bit a waste of money as I will have no future need for a second dvd or housing+cables for other things than the installation. But I might well do it anyway to be rid of the hassle. A pity thoug that the mobo's dont allow installation from IDE :thumbsup_anim: ...)

Thanks again for your help!

I just wanted to say thanks. I haven't tried this yet because I've had my system running for a while. I know what went into getting everything running correctly for my system and it did not just happen overnight. So its nice to see others have an easier time. This is a great community!

Gigabyte p35-ds3r/Core 2 Duo 6420 @3.4ghz/EVGA 8600gt/WD Raptor/WD caviar/Maxtor 3200-XP-Vista-Leo

Ok, im stuck, I have check all the bios settings and my drives are plugged in the correct ports but I am still freezing up here after restart. This is just a post and not error messages I don't understand:

Jettisoning kernel linker.

Mar <current date/time> localhost fseventsd[29]: log dir: /.fseventsd getting new uuid: XXXXXXXX-XXXX

I have:

P35C-DS3R / E6850 / BFG 8800GToc / 2 74GB Raptors

frankbo: did you ever figure out what was going on. I obviously have same problem.

Castigator,

First of all, did you use GUID or MBR? EFI or no EFI? Vanilla or no vanilla?

Thanks for the quick help.

I have attempted both types of boot records, the only remote amount of success has come from GUID. I am not trying to make a dual boot machine. EFI installs itself with the Kalyway DVD right? Yes Vanilla, as the guide tells me to.

This really has me stumped. I'll just throw out one more: Are all your SATA devices connected to the ICH9 (yellow) SATA ports and not to the purple GSATA ports? And also is your SATA set to AHCI? I don't know what that has to do with the kernel linker but its just a shot from the wild. I don't know, maybe a corrupted Kalyway disc? Check your MD5 checksums of the ISO and make sure it matches up with the official one.

Hi everyone, thanks for all your info on the subject.

Just about to make the leap myself. I have read the guide and I think the only thing I need is a USB keyboard.

My question is, will a PS/2 keyboard with a PS/2 to USB adaptor work for installation? It would be cheaper than a new keyboard.

Anyway, here is the rest of my set up:

Board: GA-965P-DS3

CPU: INTEL Core 2 Duo E6400 2,13Ghz

Video: PCI-e 256MB NVidia GeForce ColorFul 7600-GT TV-out & DVI

RAM: 3GB DDR2 667 Kingston

Hard Drive: IDE 30GB hard drive with a IDE to SATA adaptor

and if that doesn't work

SATA-II 250 GB SAMSUNG hard drive

Optical: DVD-Drive IDE Samsung

Using a IDE to USB adaptor with the IDE DVD drive for installation.

Yea, I like my adaptors :lol:

I'll keep ye updated on how I get on.

This really has me stumped. I'll just throw out one more: Are all your SATA devices connected to the ICH9 (yellow) SATA ports and not to the purple GSATA ports? And also is your SATA set to AHCI? I don't know what that has to do with the kernel linker but its just a shot from the wild. I don't know, maybe a corrupted Kalyway disc? Check your MD5 checksums of the ISO and make sure it matches up with the official one.

So I had checked the MD5 before I ever started and it matched just fine.... I just checked it again and it dosen't match.. WTF!!

Downloading a new copy.. hopefully this is my problem.

Here are the steps for a perfect Kalyway ISO:

1) Download ZIP from TPB, other places might be corrupt

2) Verify the MD5 of the zip

3) Unzip the ZIP with WinRAR if you are on Windows or with BOMArchiver on mac (the default double click unzip thing that comes with OS X)

4) Check the MD5 of the ISO and see if it matches

5) Burn the ISO onto a quality 4.7GB DVD-R disc (not DVD-RW) at a slow 4x speed. Don't use the cheap dollar store junk. I used a Sony DVD-R disc and it worked fine.