[Guide + Installer] Leopard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P/DS3R/DS4 (10.5.2 + EFI)

~pcwiz

1,128 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

I recently got a black MacBook and have been loving it. However, I find that it is simply too slow for some things I would like to do. For example, sometimes when I am working in Garage Band I get a message stating that the track cannot be played back in real time. I have a windows desktop I recently built that I use for gaming. Since getting the macbook I've been tossing around the idea of trying to get OS X running on it since Apple seems to think there is no market for an upgradeable desktop that doesn't cost 3000.00.

The system consists of a Gigabyte P35 DS3R, E6750, 4GB ram, 9600 GT, 150GB Raptor.

Obviously, the 9600GT could be a problem. I would be open to replacing that if needed.

Is there any way to run with vanilla kernels so that updates can be installed without problem? I thought this was one of the benefits of the newer releases? Is this actually reliable enough for it to be my main computer?

Thanks.

hi pcwiz,

i just did install kalway by your guide.

and i must say everything works so excellent. i have an ibook g4 1,2ghz. noe e2180 and its so fast. fantastic!!!! i am not sure if i will overclock to 3ghz because even now its so fast. (gf 7600gs 4gb ram and wd 6400aaks)

beside. when i installed kalyway and after the reboot it did not install. i had to install efi manualy with the terminal of the install disk. but after 2 hours of surfing in the net and informations about efi i got it.

i did everything in your guide. but when i installed your driver package, something strange happened. it did not say to reboot. so i rebooted manually. but sound didnt work. so installed again, just sound. now it said to reboot and sound was working.

but now i am not sure wheter the other drivers are installed.

is there a way to control? or is it safe to install them again, just to get sure?

another question:

why is it not possible to have sleep and speedstep?

and when i have sleep, does it mean, that the cpus are alway running 100% causing energy and heat?

or does it mean, they cant get undervolted when they are not used?

i am asking, becuase there are huge temperature differents between cou in idle and 100% cpu power when i scann the temperature of the cpu?

but why then speedstep???

thanks for an answer!

Vulcan,

Yes with EFI which is included on all the new releases, it is possible to use a vanilla kernel and it will be fine as your main machine, but it may be wise to keep your data on another partition just in case something does really get messed up :P

jakobmacmac,

Yes it is safe to install it again. There might be a bug in the installer, I'll check it out when I have time. When you have sleep and not SpeedStep, the CPUs will run hotter, yes, but as long as you have an Intel CPU it will throttle so that it will lower the speed if it gets too hot.

Ok, so I re-checked my original disc and the hash was fine i still re-download, re-burned, different burner different media... I am getting same problem except now the install process will not finish. It gets about 15% into it and the grey "you must restart your computer" window keeps popping up.

Just an observation, during the install process I have noticed that the DVD stops spinning during the beginning of the install process. The progress says "Calculating" for a very long time then after about 5-7 minutes it says 2hours35minutes remaining then begins to count down.

Do this:

Do a clean format of your hard drive and format as MBR

Make sure you name your Leopard volume with a single word name with no spaces

Continue with installation selecting only the 2 vanillla options and the bootloader efi mbr option

Try it with both of your burned discs

:hysterical: First I want to thank you for the great guide and installer. Saved me from another lost weekend working on this project!

I am using the sleep kernel and works almost perfectly with the S3 ACPI setting, It did not work with the S1 setting. There is only 1 glitch with sleep so far. When I begin sleep I have 2 partitions mounted from my external USB hard drive. I return from sleep I get a error message that I removed my devices unsafely and I should eject them first. MacOS then remounts the 2 partitions automatically anyway. Is this normal MacOS behavior for sleep? Is there a fix for it? I am currently just ejecting the drive manually before sleep and that works fine. Sometimes I forget. :P

Thanks for your work

Question, is the IOATAFamily kext with the new AppleIntelPIIXATA that you use the "NEW VERSION V1.1" that he posted 2/28/08? Or the 1.0 version? I see you posted this guide on 2/28, so I am unsure.

Hi ~pcwiz,

Thanks very much for the valuable guide. My P35-DS3P and Kalyway 10.5.2 works close to perfect with your help.

However, I'm wondering about the boot-up time you are getting. My machine pauses 30 seconds before coming up with the message "IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols" and then pauses approximately another 15 seconds before the message "InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce".

Other than that, it runs fine for hours.

I tried different kernels: vanilla, speedstep, sleep, all having the same results. The BIOS is set following the guide. I tried pulling out all the USB devices and turned off firewire, still without success.

Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Thanks!

RedRonin,

I believe that is normal when going to sleep. If you could run a script before you sleep it that will automatically unmount the partitions that would be easier.

jdxxx,

I included a "10.5.2" version of the kext in the guide. Not sure if that is 1.0 or 1.1, its probably 1.1 though. Anyway, the important thing is that the kext works perfectly and it makes the SATA info in System Profiler show right and it also detects properly all your SATA drives.

J.Sylar,

I found a supposed fix on another thread. Go to Terminal and run the following commands:

cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext /P35Backup/

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

I don't even know if you have that HWSensor kext but give it a go anyway :)

I have found a solution to this problem.I deleted AppleHWSensor.kext from /System/Library/Extensions (Well, actually I moved it to the "/Backup Extensions" folder, just in case I need it in the future), deleted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext and /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache and then reboot.The IOKit time out messages were no more and I shaved 45 seconds from the start-up time. I wonder what the AppleHWSensor.kext does. After two hours testing including a few reboots I have found no harmful side effects.The machine now boots up in 37-38 seconds starting from pressing Enter at the "boot:" prompt to the first sight of the cursor. Btw, this is on an E8400 processor and ATI 3850 graphic card.I will examine the system log file to see if I can reduce a few more seconds but I'm quite satisfied with it for now. If anyone could kindly point out where I could learn the details of the OS X boot process, I would be very thankful. J.Sylar (in Jakarta)

However, I'm wondering about the boot-up time you are getting. My machine pauses 30 seconds before coming up with the message "IOKitWaitQuiet() timed out waiting to write kernel symbols" and then pauses approximately another 15 seconds before the message "InterfaceNamer: timed out waiting for IOKit to quiesce".Thanks!
~pcwiz, I missed your reply by 1 minute. :)Thanks once again. You have been very helpful.J.Sylar
J.Sylar,I found a supposed fix on another thread. Go to Terminal and run the following commands:cp -r /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kext /P35Backup/rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHWSensor.kextrm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkextI don't even know if you have that HWSensor kext but give it a go anyway :)

@ pcwiz

I know you mentioned that it is compatable with

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35

i found something similar on newegg.com but it has 'E' before P35 so it goes like this:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775 Intel P35

Will it work ok, you think?

Thanks.

@pcwizthanks man!!! I appreciate your help!!@pcwizQuick question, i am thinking buying EVGA GeForce 7300 GT / 512MB DDR2 graphics card. Do you know if it will work ok? I read that it is the closest graphics card to the one Mac Book Pro has...

since this is my new 'forum home' how can i subscribe to new posts in this thred? i would like to get email notifications when somebody places a new post here... so how do i do that? thanks

Yes, that will work just fine. The EP35 is basically Rev. 2.1 of the P35. So yeah, its good :)

I bought a GA-EP35-DS3P and i can confirm your guide is well working with this board too :) Thank you for the great job!!!

It's a pity i had to RMA 'cause most of the times it would'nt boot and/or could reboot anytime, it was completely unstable. Hope the next board works fine :(

I have a Pioneer Blu ray SATA drive and there is no way to boot from it, with the GA-EP35-DS3P if you choose sata in bios.

I used the Jmicron purple sata connector, choose IDE mode in bios and i could install. Then i switched the drive back to ICH9R (and disabled JMicron in bios) before i rebooted and everything was fine... with 2x2GB RAM.

I am thinking installing Kelyway but also considering buying real leopard genuen... Is there a way to enter serial number and register real one once in the kelyway?

Yes, that will work just fine. The EP35 is basically Rev. 2.1 of the P35. So yeah, its good :)

You must upgrade to at least the F2 BIOS if you are using any Gigabyte GA-EP35 Rev 2.1 series boards. The original F1 BIOS will cause Memtest86 to reliably fail. Learn from my mistakes! :P