GeForce 9600 GT

Cowboy Mike

257 posts in this topic

still no luck, i'm slightly tempted to grab Snow Leopard and try to install it, but i'm not sure if i can.

its the hybrid kernel that's getting me right now.

i'll see what i can do with NVinject, but without being able to get into the partition (and another broken VMWare Workstation install) i'm just stuck.

time to reinstall and figure something out.

I broke down and picked up a cheap 8800 GT on eBay for $130 (anyone want to buy a lightly used 9600 GT? ;-)). With the competition AMD's new cards are putting on nVidia in the mid-range space, I'd expect to see 8800 GTs fall even further over the next couple of months.

You may be interested to know that the Graphics Mode kernel parameter works for seting the resolution. I am running 1600x1200x32 with no problems.

Add the folloing to your boot plist

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32</string>

Higher resolutions are possible but I find them too small. To see what else is available type the following at the Darwin boot prompt: ?video

Unfortunately QE/3D acceleration is not supported without a driver but at least now I have a usable resolution.

I've got a 9600gt sonic and am having the same problem as you all. Thanks so much for providing a basic workaround. 1024x768 was killing me!!! BTW - I'm running 10.5.4 and there's no help for us 9600'ers

I've got a small problem though. I'm not able to edit my boot.plist. The changes are in there and I can see them, but don't seem to work at startup. The only way I can change my resolution is to enter it manually when I'm booting...

I'm a total noob with os x and am trying to learn...

Thanks in advance...

hi ogawa...and all the others out there who want to change the resolution...

You have to add the following key and string to "Boot.plist":

-Open a "Terminal" window and type :

sudo -s

than type "your admin password" hit enter

-Type:

vi /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Press "i" and add:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1600x1200x32</string>

Press "Escape"

-Type:

:wq

-Type:

reboot

--------------

ok now it should work....

thanks to helios :)

Thanks for the resolution solution (running 1280x1024x32).

I had my osx86 working great with a en8600gt, then the upgrade came with a en9600gt, biggest mistake i've made so far.

I have 10.5.4 installed without QE/3D acceleration, hopefully someone will find a solution for this one and for a dual screen setup.

keep up the good work

Gielie

anyone want to give me a good crash course in using NVinject?

i've got NVinject and i need to be taught how to use it basically.

so far, it doesn't matter how i boot (hold down shift, hold down x, start with -s, start with -f) my hack with a 9600GT will not boot at all. i have no other machines that run OS X that i can use to tweak this, so if i can do mods in windows and then keep trying to boot that would be perfect.

i have transmac on my XP partition so that if i need to move files i can.

when i boot with -s, after a bajillion lines of code go by, the system halts waiting for a boot device.

obviously there's a problem somewhere. should i just try to reinstall and then go from there? i need a DVD-DL before i can do anything to 10.6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for support for my 9600gt, the rest of my system is completely supported (only the sound needs patching).

I know it's in snow leopard, so why do you think it won't be in a newer update for leopard? (like 10.5.5).

And does anybody know when we can expect 10.5.5 to arrive? most updates have like 1.5 months in between so that would be somewhere in august I think.

I hope too that ours 9600GT will be support soon... I just bought 2 weeks a go and I'm suprise that it doesn't work yet, it's the lastest card. Everthing work fine except that. Will we need to wait snow leopard ?

I hope too that ours 9600GT will be support soon... I just bought 2 weeks a go and I'm suprise that it doesn't work yet, it's the lastest card. Everthing work fine except that. Will we need to wait snow leopard ?

If it becomes available in Snow Leopard, that means that the 9600gt will become available for the mac, and that means, they will probably make it supported for older versions too, and thus will become available in an update like 10.5.5

• 2 weeks later...

So I assume there won't be any progress until Apple releases a new point update then. 10.5.5?

I need a working card to use with OSX86 for music production. I'm fine without QE & CI for the time being,

however my screen seems to freeze while recording audio. Not sure yet whether this is a graphics issue with rending the waveforms or if it's a HD issue writing files to the disk. In any case, I'm thinking of buying a new card for the time being. I've narrowed it down to either the 8800GT or the 9800GTX. I know aquamac has a solution for the 9800GTX, but is it safer to go with the 8800GT as it seems to have native support in the Mac Pros? Would the 9800GTX be stable enough?

just stfu and try and be a little more helpful instead of trolling the forums...

you're calling me a troll when you have only 1 post and it is this garbage? look at my post history and you'll notice i'm not a troll.

@cyclonefr:

Tu as cassé mon rêve!!!!!! T'as pas honte de rapporter de mauvaises nouvelles, alors que tant de possesseurs de 9600GT attendaient ce 10.5.5 comme un messie! ;)

Only thing left is to sell our card and get a G92 :) . What a waste of time waiting for support for this G94! :(