GeForce 9600 GT

Cowboy Mike

257 posts in this topic

You need to install NVINJECT too so it loads those kexts.

@MacSimizeDenver, try the kexts i posted on page 1 with nvinject and let us know too.

Hi,

I copied all the files in the zip into /System/Library/Extensions (minus OpenGL.Framework items).

I used xcode plist editor and added dev id to plist file for nvdanv50hal.kext. (my dev id is 0x0622)

The system boots alright.

But when I open up the system preferences to change the display resolution, it only has 1024x768 resolution option.

When I go to about this mac and click on the Graphic/Display, I get the "Please reset.." screen.

I have Vanilla kernel 9.2.2 and EFI v8 btw. I'm not 100% sure if EFI v8 installed properly because I don't know how to check.

FYI - I haven't installed the graphic update for leopard 10.5.2.

I can provide more details if needed.

I can try other things out if you like, with directions.

Cheers.

Misha(Rus), see my post on page 1 and don't forget to put nvinject (any nvinject will do)

I will, but 2morrow evening. at this moment 5 am here, and after 3 hour i must wake up to the job... ;)

It failed when I tried this out.

NVInject V.41 installed, only thing changed in the install option was chaning 256MB to 512MB.

Copied all the contents of the zip file into /System/Library/Extensions (minus OpenGL.Framework items).

Zip file is from http://rapidshare.com/files/103256449/9d10.zip.html.

I changed permission on nvdanv50hal.kext so that I can save it.

I used xcode plist editor and added dev id to plist file for nvdanv50hal.kext. (my dev id is 0x0622)

I run disk utility and fix permissions.

Then reboot.

Once the screen goes to the grey apple screen, I get the Reset screen message.

I reboot with -v and it freezes on this portion of the screen:

display: family specific matching fails

NVinject: probing.

NVinject: Setting rom-revision = NVinject 0.2.1

NVinject: Setting NVCAP = <data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @0, compatible = NVDA, NVMac

NVinject: Setting @1, name = NVDA, Display-B

NVinject: Setting @0, name = NVDA, Display-A

NVinject: Setting @1, compatible = NVDA, NVMac

NVinject: Setting model = Graphics by NVIDIA

NVinject: Setting @1, device_type=display

NVinject: Setting @0, device_type=dsplay

NVinject: Setting name = display

NVinject: Setting device_type = NVDA, Parent

NVinject: Setting VRAM, totalsize=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting NVDM= <data not shown>

NVinject: probing.

NVinject: Setting rom-revision = NVinject 0.2.1

NVinject: Setting NVCAP = <data not shown>

NVinject: Setting @0, compatible = NVDA, NVMac

NVinject: Setting @1, name = NVDA, Display-B

NVinject: Setting @0, name = NVDA, Display-A

NVinject: Setting @1, compatible = NVDA, NVMac

NVinject: Setting model = Graphics by NVIDIA

NVinject: Setting @1, device_type=display

NVinject: Setting @0, device_type=dsplay

NVinject: Setting name = display

NVinject: Setting device_type = NVDA, Parent

NVinject: Setting VRAM, totalsize=<data not shown>

NVinject: Setting NVDM= <data not shown>

dsmos: Initializing

dsmos: Hook and decryption contexts set!

dsmos: Starting...

AppleRTL8169EEthernet: Ethernet Address xx.xx.xx.xx.xx (the xx actually have value, but I omitted them)

This is the point where the boot freezes and does not move on.

Am I inputting the device id incorrectly by any chance?

My edited nvdanv50hal.kext is attached for inspection.

Cheers.

I've been wrestling with Kalway for many hours... Everything is fine (except that it crashes when I shutdown) and when I try to install the nvidinject (or whatever it's called), installing only the 512mb version, I can't boot up (even in safe mode) and I get the screen that says to shutdown the computer. Any ideas? I really don't want to reinstall everything again.

This happened to me when the kext (NVDANV40Hal.kext in my case, for GeForce 6 and 7 series) didn't have a matching device ID mask. Adding it solved the problem.

Recently it happened on my laptop (GeForce Go 6800) after installing the Leopard Graphics Update. Removing either the NVDA or NVinject kext allowed the system to boot and I thought I was going to have to track down and restore the originals, then eventually I remembered the device ID problem and got it working!

Thank you for your suggestions cyclonefr.

I guess I have 3 options.

1. Wait for 9600GT support.

2. Use GMA950 on my ASRock mobo (kind of pain to switch off cables and do a bios change).

3. Keep using my G4 iBook.

Here's to hoping for the best.

Cheers!

@MacSimizeDenver

On Windows, you can use GPUZ. Look for Device ID box. First 4 digits, 10DE, is NVIDIA. The next 4 digits are for your 9600GT. Mine happens to be 0622.

On Mac OSX, go to upper left hand corner Apple Symbol -> About This Mac -> More Info -> Graphics/Displays. It has your Device ID there.

Cheers.

@beriguu

I used your .kext because my card has the same device ID as yours. But see the screenshot....unfortunately the computer freeze at this point.

dsc00019xj2.th.jpg

Can anyone tell me how I can copy this screen text without writing it down on a notepad? Would be more practicle than doing screenshots.

I wish I had read this thread before I bought my 9600GT yesterday :-(

I went out specifically to buy a card that would work with my Hackintosh setup (leo4allv2) (I had a 7800 GTX before) and was going to buy a 256MB 8600GT (checked the HCL first) but when I got to the store they had a Superclocked 512Mb 9600GT as their special for the day (and about $50 cheaper than the 8600) and I said to myself - what the heck, makes sense to buy it and I am sure, being a new card and all, I am sure it will work.

And then ... reality sets in when I get home! Argggg!

On the positive side, Vista is my main OS and the card just SCREAMS!

I will be wathing this thread with interest and if you need someone to help test options, just let me know.

Looking at Newegg.com, the 9600GT is supposed to have the G92 chipset. The 9800 series has the next chipset up. If the 8800's use the G92 and work, why won't the 9600GT. It is a great card and costs less than the 8800's. PC Club has them on sale (9600GT 512Mb) through 4-30 for $149 US.

I have one and it is great in windows and you can't beat it for the price.