[HowTo] Intel GMA 900 (for 915GM and 910)

Andy4life

686 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am pretty new to Mac (on a PC). I just install Kalyway Few days ago, the Internet worked right out-of the box, I didn't select anything for custom install except MBR efi boot. The Sound didn't work at first but I fixed it pretty easyily. The only problem i am having right now is my Graphic Card. I have a Dell Dimension 3100 with:

*3.0Ghz Pentium 4 CPU

*1GB RAm

*80GB Hard drive, (used MBR partition)

*simgtel sound

*Intel 82915G/82910GL intergrated chipset (graphic card)

the problem with the graphic card is i don't think mac detect it, such as the transparent menu+iTune Visualizer doesn't work, very laggy with the Zoom-in on the dock+Dashboard zoom-in/out :)

what it says on system information:Intel GMA 900:

Chipset Model: GMA 900

Type: Display

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x2582

Revision ID: 0x0004

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

So is there anyway to Fix this, PLZ HELP!!!... i really don't want to go back to XP or Vista again... :D

btw... Plz use Step by step or Easy to understand lanuage to explan, (I am only 13... so ya *cough* lol) THX!! :D

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem.

Basically this is a GMA900 on desktop with a DVI and a TV-out. When I connect an analogue monitor (DVI->VGA adaptor) to the machine, I can use OSX fine (well, except sometimes I get the dreaded GMA900 blue screen problem). But when I connect a digital only monitor (Apple Studio LCD), the screen is just black - even when I VNC in! However, I can see the BIOS boot screen, Darwin bootloader, etc, just not Aqua, so I am sure the monitor is working, may be the OSX driver doesn't output DVI-D properly?

So, anyone got DVI-D working in Tiger on GMA900?

Thanks.

Ok, I just installed the JaS OS 10.4.8 on an HP dv4040us laptop with the GMA900 Graphics. I am doing the wire trick to get my laptop to boot with video, but I dont have QE/CI as of yet. I have been reading this thread for awhile and it seems the most effective method for fixing this is Diabolik's Patch. Well the only link I could find to download the patch was broken so I was wondering if anyone had it to send to me or if anyone had any other suggestions for me. I am still a bit new at editing kexts and using terminal so try to be patient with me. Here are my specs in case it will help at all. Thanks in advance! ^^

HP Pavillion dv4040us:

Intel Pentium M 1.73Ghz

1 Gb DDR RAM

Intel PRO Wireless

Intel GMA900 Integrated Graphics

JaS OS 10.4.8 Tiger

thanks for the links. I will let you all know how it goes for me. If this doesnt work I guess I get to fiddle with it the hard way. I also have 10.4.8 running on a desktop and have NEVER gotten the QE/CI to work--even after many hours of fiddling--and the card is on the compatibility list on the wiki to work out of the box. So perhaps I am cursed to live without QE and CI. Thanks again!

Hi there guys, been reading this for a while and finally got it all working except that even after modifying the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file so that it says

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

it still hasn't returned the boot/shutdown graphics (i have also tried repairing permissions after editting the file) so just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Its not exactly life threatening or anything but it just looks better with boot graphics!

Of course i think i should say thanks to everyone who has led to the patch and paperclip tricks without which i couldnt watch doctor who on the lappy on mac os :rolleyes:

oh yeah specs are NEC I-select m540 and JAS 10.4.8 Intel

Cheers

Hi there guys, been reading this for a while and finally got it all working except that even after modifying the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file so that it says

<key>Boot Graphics</key>

<string>Yes</string>

it still hasn't returned the boot/shutdown graphics (i have also tried repairing permissions after editting the file) so just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Remove "-v" from <key>Kernal Flags</key><string>-v</string>.

Remove "-v" from <key>Kernal Flags</key><string>-v</string>.

you the man, worked like a charm, cant believe i didnt spot that myself to be honest as i was only playing with the -v the other day from the darwin bootloader!

Many thanks anyway though :(

• 1 month later...
Okay, basically after about 9 tries and 6 osx re-installations in one week.. i've finally got it... now i have to write this quickly because im in a bit of a rush, i have to study for an exam tomorrow and its 2:30 in the morning.... so forgive me if i'm a bit unclear.. but i'll try my best.

Firstly thanks to the following people for providing help: JaS, lamer0 and Marcp1967.

The Guide

1. Go to /system/library/extensions

2. Find All the AppleIntel KEXT files:

- AppleIntel915.kext

- AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext

3. Copy all of these to an external directory, and make a back up of them also. We need to modify them... but back them up just incase of anything.

4. right click the first kext file and go to "show package contents" then go to contents

5. right click the "Info.plist" file and go to open with --> other --> browse to "TextEdit"

6. use the search function (Applekey/Alt + F) and search for every and any value equaling to 0x25828086 or containing "2582".

7. Replace this value with "2592" and save the file.

------- Repeat steps 4 through to 7 for every kext file ----------

After this process is complete copy these files back to /system/library/extensions

8. Remove the AppleIntel830.kext file.

9. Open the terminal application and enter "sudo su", enter your password.

10. type the following in the terminal after logging in:

cd / <-- press enter

cd /system/library/extensions <-- press enter

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntel915.kext   <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntel915.kext <-- press enter

then...

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter
sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleIntelIntegratedGraphics.kext <-- press enter.

11. Restart

Troubleshooting

Method One: If you are unable to start and you recieve a blue screen after Darwin has finished loading or after the grey screen with the apple logo (like me) connect an external monitor and restart. This should get you back into OSX.

Method Two (for those dual-booting):

- If you are dual booting for example xp and osx like me... try going into xp first.. and then booting into osx.. with the -f switch... and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR attached...

that should also work.. i just tried it twice.....

- In general try booting with the -f swtich....

- On a side note.. if you are experience sluggish performance.. not just on the graphical side.. but in general... make sure you repair your permissions this can be done by opening the terminal and entering the following:

sudo -s <-- Press enter

cd / <-- Press enter

diskutil repairPermissions / <-- Press enter

it might take a minute or two.. maybe more.. depending on what your file permissions look like...

I just noticed that after i did this... everything is working fine.. and not a single application has crashed...

-----------------------------

Good luck!

I hope it works for you all.

Tested and working on a Dell Inspiron 6000 with the following:

Intel Mobile Centrino 1.6GHz

512 DDR2

Intel 915GM - GMA900 (128mb shared)

Philips CD/DVD combo drive

15.4" Widescreen running at 1280x800x32

Broadcom 440 Network Card (NIC)

Intel Wireless 2200 <-- [Not working]

Sigmatel AC97 Audio

Patches and method of installation are as follows:

- Native install from PearPC to Native

- Maxxuss' 0.4.1 SSE3 --> SEE2 emulation patch

PS: By request i've uploaded my kext files, and their configuration. Again place these files in the /system/library/extensions folder and go through step 10.

Removed for DMCA violation.

Thanks for the Guide. I am also using a Intel 915 (TOSHIBA Satellite M45-S351)

Tried everyting, iATKOS, Leo4All and Kalyway. All failures. Want to get Leopard fast bec. I dont have time, A Level exams in 10 Days !!!

Please help...

On Booting, I get the following error message: (Booting with -v )

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: init

Mac OS Version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernal Version 9.1.0: Sat Nov 11....; Made by ToH: xnu-1228.0.2~1/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Later, On normal booting from disk, I get the boot screen later a cross appears and the a restart pc dialogue.

What do i do ?

Trying with VMware Workstation 6.

NOTE: I dont want those flat images from the net. Want to make my own image. Pls help....

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think so. I've installed leo4allv2 on my Acer2413 with intel GMA915 video. And it boots up with wire trick, i mean, i can hear the sound playing, etc, but nothing on the desktop, just blue. I think it uses my SECONDARY monitor output as PRIMARY. Is there any way to fix this?

I knew about wire trick, and yes, it works, but I asked about swapped monitors problem. I cannot see anything on my screen because it is working as secondary, and using VoiceOver is real pain-in-my-a..s=)

Please help my if u can. I cannot use additional monitor plugged into my laptop for all times=(((

• 4 weeks later...
I have acer 1644 wlmi with 10.5.2 running, and support intel 915..! :poster_spam:

with or without QE/CI?

Care to share how, I'm sure it'd help a lot of people...

The lack of hardware acceleration in Leopard is really beginning to annoy me, it makes everything so choppy - even general use.

Hey Andy,

THANKS MAN! The video sync's up now!

I followed your guide and Core Image is working now but no QE... and it shows up as GMA900(?) totally functional enough to be deemed fully functional as a tablet... THANKS... specs listed below:

-HP TC4200 tablet / OSX Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1

-Intel GMA915 1024x768/12.1" / single wire trick pin 2 to 6 / Core Image-working / VGA out-working multiple res's (seems to "learn"(?) new resolutions after plugging in 4 different external monitors... now have multiple res's(?) cool!! 17" widescreen 1280x768, 17" 3x4 1280x1024, 22" Widescreen 1680x1050 and 19" 3x4 1280x1024 / video sync's w/ audio(Audio worked post kaly install) in Quicktime and Divx player... VLC didnt like the tablet to begin with...

-Intel2200 replaced w/ broadcom 4318+enabler pkg (HP PN#377408-001) working

-Bluetooth-working ( works by default on everything doesnt it? )

-Digitizer- working w/ tabletmagic forum calibrated perfectly and pressure sensitive to 255 levels

-Nic working post kaly install

-Applied current powermanagement bundle for Leo - Battery working (2.5hrs) - Sleep seems to be working - sleeps on lid-close / stays awake in converted to slate mode

-Disabled Intel Speedstep in bios - Boot without ac plugged in - working

-Enabled Intenational keyboard / Ink windows for handwriting - works awesome with block letters

-HP chassis buttons Volume up/down/mute working - LCD buttons for rotation dont do anything(duh)

Thanks for getting my video sync'd dude seriously. I only hope my posts can be as thourough and helpfull as yours. You get the "Yoda" award of the week!

May the Force be with you!

Ree-Vess

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hey, i dont know if this can help. but maybe by analyzing what happened, a fix can be found

i started out having the same problem as most people here had. a gma915 that didn't support QE/CI. then i stumbled upon diabolik's fix and it worked.

thing was, i still had those annoying pins sticking out of my vga port

the one day, i just noticed that one of the pins i put had fallen out but osx had started just fine. so i tried booting without the 2 pins. amazingly, it worked! and it worked just fine.

however, i got a bit greedy since after getting all these to work, i decided to try and install the dvd player fix since my dvds played without video.

after installation however, i booted to the blue screen again. to add to that, the dvd still didnt show video output.

i figured that before installing diabolik, i already once tried to install that dvd playback fix. so i ended up reinstalling the diabolik package, to no luck however.

and now i am stuck with these 2 ugly wires again.

the only other significant repairs ive tried recently were the usb 2.0 fix and the 2-finger scroll fix, both of which didn't work. even with my limited skill, i doubt that these have to do anything with the video output, but just the same, those are what i've tinkered with recently

i hope someone more skilled can figure out what happened and solve the problem not just for me but for everyone else here

------------------------------

Acer Aspire 5500z

40 GB HDD

768 MB RAM

intel gma915 (QE/CI working, still with 2-pin fix..... again)

intel 2200bg wlan (working)

broadcom ethernet (working)

conexant modem (haven't bothered trying)

audio (works)

• 3 weeks later...

thanx andy and fibble... i m using fibble's driver, but i think andy's also work...

couple of things to add:

1) I guess this is some laptops: internal monitor doesnt work directly, blue screen and freeze (familiar huh? paper clip method coming next) ... external monitor (mine is 22" 1680x1050) also doesnt work directly but wen external monitor connected, system works however no output is given but it work i know... :P!

2) so i though of old fashion paper clip method, and it works great... dont know why external monitor doesnt work... and paper clip works...

acer 9503 lappy

mine is gma900

0x25928086

rev 0x0004

no tearing or artifacts as of yet... gonna try tv and dvds to see any effect?

hope it helps some of you

hey

iv just installed 10.4.8 JaS On my laptop(Acer travelmate 2400) and want to enable the graphics but i dont have those two files mentioed on the first post of this thread...anyone know how i can get them and enable the multiple resolutions etc.??

hey

iv just installed 10.4.8 JaS On my laptop(Acer travelmate 2400) and want to enable the graphics but i dont have those two files mentioed on the first post of this thread...anyone know how i can get them and enable the multiple resolutions etc.??

Download the OSX 10.4.7 Combo Update from Apple.com Support.