Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I installed iAtkos 5i and I'm trying to get full resolution and dual monitor to work with my d630 (nvidia 135m).

for full resolution, i tried following sifu2's post on how he got full resolution however the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 installation says my system doesn't meet the requirements.

for dual monitor I tried changing my NVCAP value I found on this thread to:

04000000 00000500 02000000 00000007 00000000

I changed them using krypto's NVkush.Kext.

However it didn't work.

This is what my Graphic/Display shows:

Chipset Model: Generic NVIDIA

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x042b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: NVinjectGo 0.2.0

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Display Connector:

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I used Plist Edit Pro to edit the NVCAP value. set value to 04000000 00000100 0A000000 00000007 00000000

My Dual display working perfectly....

Dell D830 NVS 135 m :(

so i know everyone has this shutdown/reboot problem, but i'm wondering, if yours was caused by getting better graphics, has anyone tried this modbin kernel? I have no idea what it is or how kernels work so i'm afraid to try it myself, but i heard that's one possible solution when openhaltrestart fails.

any update on the Shutdown issue? That seems like the only major problem on these machines.

On my D630, if I shutdown I get the AppleHDAEnabler has a caused a kernel panic error.

If I reboot, everything shuts down but I get a blank screen. I'm also guessing its because of the Graphics (NVKush/NVDarwin,etc..) + Sound (AppleHDA) as If I have only one of these running, I get ok reboot, but if I have them both running, I cant shutdown and reboot.

I can put my computer to sleep, but the problem is that when it wakes up, my Xbench scores for CPU and Graphics GO DOWN LIKE CRAZY.

Hope we get these problems sorted out, as I've tried time and time again, and cant seem to figure it out.

Hey all, long time no post. My account was broken after the site upgrade, but now I'm finally able to login again. Yay.

Anywho, I've been getting kernel panics, and I believe they were caused by using GenericCPUPowerManagement.kext. Superhai released a newer implementation, called VoodooPower.kext, which has kept my laptop cool and battery life long, and relatively panic free: http://superhai.com/darwin.html.

In one of my earlier "recap" posts, I think I recommended the genericcpu, but now we should be using VoodooPower.kext if anything. I hope this helps someone!

Oh, and as far as the dual monitor stuff goes... I have the intel chip, and I haven't had time to play with it. But I know that out of the box, it doesn't work very well (if at all).

i need helps before i gone mad!!!

dell & leo have been beating me to near death for 82 times; so far nothing worked for me to install the retail 10.5.6 leo (mac in the box); maybe, i should have spend little more (okay a lot more) to get a mac mini, but it's been done, so i need to make it happen somehow.

Dell D630 with intel integrated chipset (GMA965/X3100 i guess)

cpu core2duo 2.2ghz

memory 2gbyte

two hdds (one internal sata) + one in baydrive (sata drive with a sata to ata convertion unit) + normal internal dvd burner + usb dvd burner

bios a15 (latest)

screen wxga (the usual 1280 x 800, i think)

one more thing, where i live, internet service is free (part of rent, but no p2p allowed/blocked), so that's why i am trying the retail with boot-132 method.

there are two book disks i tried (boot 132 for noob (BOOT-KABYL-BUMBY) and grub-dfe (with apple decrypter not sure exactly what it does) http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f179/56516-9.htm

i think the problem i am having is maybe related because my retail copy is 10.5.6 rather than earlier versions

THE PROBLEMS

1. with -v, when text messages disappeared, the screen actually gone black (later found that leo was using the external monitor out), when i used [Fn] + [F8] (CRT/LCD), i could see something (alternating white and black bars across) + a cursor arrow. the cursor moved, but nothing else was happening.

2. using an external monitor, i could see the leo's space wallpaper + an arrow that i could move, but that's it, when i used [Fn] + [F8] (CRT/LCD), same thing happened on both the external and the built-in lcd (on either not on both displays)

3. -v option, i did not notice any alarming problems other than (don't remember completely, but..) vd# failed (multiple), no network using default, hardware description did not match etc)

tried many combinations of BIOS setting like SATA to ATA or ACHI (no effect for me), using the internal dvd drive vs usb, internal hdd vs baydrive (doesn't matter since i could not even get to the installer, but i removed the bay drive/internal drive just in case) etc...i mean i tried 82 times (wrote down the combination try not to either repeat or skip)

only thing left for me is try to mess with boot-132 images, but not sure what i need to do or how (too technical to understand)

anyone installed retail disk to D630 using boot-132 or care to make a custom boot-132 image for me and other D630 users?

many thanks!

iam using iatkos 5i

Sounds good - I will try that again.

Did you have to use any boot switches (-x or -a or something) to get iAtkos v4i to boot from the DVD?

And you followed the guide precisely? As in everything, leaving nothing out?

Thanks!

Diz

UPDATE:

iAtkos 4.0 won't work for me. I followed the installtion as closely as I could (there's no Vanilla kernel option in my Customise options)= and when it tries to boot for the first time, it just hangs on the grey screen.

Which specific iAtkos did people use?

Thanks

Thanks to this thread I have 95% working D630....Just shutdown is the only problem I have left.

I wouldn't call that a problem... just be happy everything else works! :) Do you have sleep working?

So 10.5.6 installed but now my keyboard doesnt work. I ahve to use external USB. Any ideas on that?

There is a PS2 kext that you need. I don't remember exactly what it's called, but I'm pretty sure that I posted something about it in THIS THREAD a while ago (the same thing happened to me). If you search for posts by me regarding ps2, it should come up.

hey kirby, you have sleep working? I gave up on it from the start thinking it was related to shutdown/reboot problems, but if it can be fixed, I'd love to know! thanks in advance!

hey kirby, you have sleep working? I gave up on it from the start thinking it was related to shutdown/reboot problems, but if it can be fixed, I'd love to know! thanks in advance!

I HAD sleep working, occasionally. I can't remember exactly what killed it, but I'm sure I referenced it in an earlier post in this thread. However, even when it was working, it only worked about half the time, in that it would try to go to sleep, and then just wake right back up again. This is mostly caused by the audio stuff, and it's the same reason (I think) why many times there is a kernel panic at shutdown related to AppleHDA. Another thing that delays sleep greatly is the ethernet kext. It adds at least 10 -20 seconds to the sleeping... and mine just wakes right back up, as I said.

One of these days, I might try to install from scratch, but since I use my laptop everyday for work, I don't really have time to reinstall everything.. especially since it works "well enough".

I HAD sleep working, occasionally. I can't remember exactly what killed it, but I'm sure I referenced it in an earlier post in this thread. However, even when it was working, it only worked about half the time, in that it would try to go to sleep, and then just wake right back up again. This is mostly caused by the audio stuff, and it's the same reason (I think) why many times there is a kernel panic at shutdown related to AppleHDA. Another thing that delays sleep greatly is the ethernet kext. It adds at least 10 -20 seconds to the sleeping... and mine just wakes right back up, as I said.

One of these days, I might try to install from scratch, but since I use my laptop everyday for work, I don't really have time to reinstall everything.. especially since it works "well enough".

heh I guess it's not really worth trying to set it up then, I'm pretty sure my laptop would shutdown faster than it sleeps, even including holding the power button down for 5 seconds. random question though, do you know what a good temperature for a laptop should be? I was thinking about that voodoopower kext and if I should install it, but i'm not sure if my laptop actually overheats or not...i use istat nano and it says i average around 37 celsius/101 F, which is hotter than when I run windows, but not that much, and I hear normal macbook pro's can fry eggs, so 37 doesn't sound that bad compared to that.

heh I guess it's not really worth trying to set it up then, I'm pretty sure my laptop would shutdown faster than it sleeps, even including holding the power button down for 5 seconds. random question though, do you know what a good temperature for a laptop should be? I was thinking about that voodoopower kext and if I should install it, but i'm not sure if my laptop actually overheats or not...i use istat nano and it says i average around 37 celsius/101 F, which is hotter than when I run windows, but not that much, and I hear normal macbook pro's can fry eggs, so 37 doesn't sound that bad compared to that.

My laptop, when it's really cookin' at maximum power, peaks at about 57 degrees. Normal stuff is around 40-45. I use Temperature Monitor. It's never felt as hot as my brother's Macbook Pro, which can get ridiculously hot.

Well I have been absent from this thread for a while since i replaced my D630 hackitosh with an iMac for my primary PC. But now my desire for a laptop has got me to give the Hackintosh another go. I have a great install of 10.5.4 using iatkos 10.5.1 then updating to 10.5.4. My graphics (Nvidia quadro 135) were not recognized correctly so installed nviject 2.0 and that gave me the appropriate resolution but quartz extreme is still disabled. Should this be enabled on a fully working graphics card?

Second question, when i boot from battery my system info shows that my process or is running at 1.6 GHz but when i boot with the power adapter plugged in it recognizes the processor as 2.0 GHz. It also doesn't appear to change if I remove the power cord ( moving the processor down to 1.6) or plugging the power cord in (bumping it up to 2.0). Whats going on here, is this just speed step? Is the processor speed actually changing when I switch power but not updating the system info?

Third and final question, I would like to update to 10.5.6. Is this advised? If so what procedure should I use to upgrade?

Thanks everyone

Jordan-TheCheapGeek

Lovely job roneil - thanks very much for putting the guide together.

I had about 10 failed installs under my belt before I found your guide. Followed your instructions and it works very nicely.

Of course, I've just discovered the non-working Broadcom Ethernet issue, and being a network engineer, I really need wired ethernet! What a disappointment. I guess it was fun getting this far, but I'm gonna have to switch back to Windows. ;)

Cheers,

Phaedrus3

hi

Please use this driver for BCM 57xx NIC. its fully functional and works :D

Txs

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.zip

As requested by a few users, here is a guide for the Dell Latitude D630. You can set up a nearly perfect installation of Leopard 10.5.4 on the D630. I recommend that you use the Kalyway disc for this system, but you could also use iATKOS. I have used both, but in the end I settled on Kalyway because of it's out of the box support for sleep. I was never able to get sleep working on iATKOS (unless I used the vanilla kernel), and speedstep was unstable on iATKOS, which was the only benefit I saw to using it. It is all personal preference though. If you use iATKOS, make sure you are using version 1.0iR2 or later, as this version makes the installer usable on GMAX3100 systems. If one of these install discs does not work for you, try the other one. Many users with the NVIDIA Quadro graphics card have reported problems with kalyway, so it's probably a better idea to stick with iATKOS if you have this card. You should be able to find both of these disc images on the bay of pirates :huh: .

To begin, boot into your BIOS, and under the second option (I can't remember its name), change your disk mode to AHCI. OS X runs much better when your HD is in AHCI mode. If dual booting, make sure that your Windows installation has the correct AHCI drivers installed. Next, boot off of your installation disk. If you are using Kalyway, press f8 when the boot prompt comes up on your screen. Then type vanilla, and then enter. You do not need to do this for iATKOS. It takes a while to boot, so be patient. When the language prompt comes up, click the arrow. Once the installer finishes loading, click the utilities menu on the top of your screen, and then click disk utility. Disk utility is very simple to use. You must set up your main HD with at least one HFS+ partition, to install os x on. The partition you want to install leopard on needs to have a volume label that is only one word. For example, you could call it leo_volume, but not "leo volume". You should use the partition option, but this will erase all of the data on your disk. If you choose partition, make sure you set the partition scheme to MBR, and this can be set by clicking options in the partition window. If you have to, you can erase individual partitions, and format them to HFS+. For example, if you want to dual boot Windows and OS X, you could install windows first, make a second partition on your disk, and then install OS X on that partition. Once finished, click next through the next few dialogs, until you get to the select disk window. Make sure you select the partition you formatted earlier to install os x on. Now click next again, and you should be at the screen that has two buttons, install and customize. Click customize. If using Kalyway, select boot_efi_mbr within the Bootloaders EFI folder at the bottom of the list, and select the vanilla kernel folder at the top. The options for iATKOS are similar. If you are using iATKOS, DO NOT select the gmax3100 drivers. Also, for either disk, you have the option of installing the unmodified kernel (vanilla kernel), and many people like using that. It will break sleep support on kalyway, but you can fix that later on. If you are using iATKOS, you should install with the vanilla kernel. Now click done, and then install. This will take about 10 to 20 minutes to complete, and when finished, your system should say installation complete, and show a countdown to reboot. If you have an NVIDIA graphics card installed in your system, click the reboot button now, and skip over the next paragraph of text. If not (meaning that you must have the GMAX3100), read on.

If you have the Intel GMAX3100 installed in your system, before that countdown ends, you need to click utilities on the top menu, and then click terminal. Now type these commands, in sequence, pressing the enter key at the end of each line (leo_volume should be replaced with the name of the partition you installed os x on in the first and last commands):

cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/leo_volume

Now, you can reboot into your leopard installation. If you booted successfully, move on to the next paragraph. If not, read on. Most likely, the reason you cannot boot is because your leopard partition is not set active. If this is the case, you would either see a b0 error, or just a blinking underscore sign. I only had this problem a couple of times with Kalyway, and never with iATKOS. To fix this, you need to boot off your installation disk, and open Terminal from the utilities menu. First, type "diskutil list". The output should look like this:

diskutillistbj0.th.png

My OS X partition was named Roneil-Main, so my identifier was disk0s2. You need to take note of the identifier of the partition you installed OS X on. Let's say that mine is disk@s%. Below, replace every @ and % with your number. Now, type the following commands, pressing enter in between them:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk@
f %
write
y
q

Now reboot, and you should boot into leopard.

Now, after completing the setup wizard, your leopard desktop should appear. But there are still many things you need to do now. If you installed iATKOS, you need to install the kext helper application before doing anything else, which can be found here. First, you should install the 10.5.4 combo update from the apple website. Here is a link to it. Now, open the application Terminal (found in /Applications/Utilities) and type "while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" and press enter. Leave that window open, and install the package you downloaded from the apple website. When the installation finishes, do not press restart, just leave the window open. Now you can close the terminal window from earlier (it will warn you about closing with running processes, just close it anyways). Open the file, located at /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1, with textedit. Look for the line with "Don't steal mac os x.kext" and replace "Don't steal mac os x.kext" with "Dsmos.kext". Now save the file and exit textedit. Now, download an attached zip file, named Sleep_Fix.zip. Unzip it, and you should get some files with the extension .kext. Now open the kext helper application. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, click ok, and if you have an nvidia quadro card, reboot now. If you have a gma x3100 graphics card, open Terminal and type these commands, in sequence, pressing the enter key at the end of each line:

cd /System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle
diskutil repairPermissions /

Now, you can finally reboot.

Next, you should get your system to recognize your graphics card correctly. Once you install graphics support, sleep should work on your system because of the files installed earlier. If you are using the GMAX3100, follow the steps below. If not, skip to the next paragraph.

For the GMAX3100, you need to download the zip archive here, named GMAX3100_Files.zip. This file contains the modified GMAX3100 kexts (assembled by AJ.Allen and modified by simcolor), a script to run the sleepdisplay application, which I wrote, and the SleepDisplay application. Place the SleepDisplay folder anywhere you want, but you can never delete it. Now, open the sleep display folder, and double click the file named sleepdisplayscript.app. This is only to get past the downloaded from the internet dialog that sometimes appears when getting apps off the internet. Now, open the system preferences application (the icon with gears on the dock) and select accounts. Now, select the main account, click login items, and click the plus icon. Find and select the sleepdisplayscript.app, and click add. You need to make sure that your system is set to login automatically for this to work, so from here click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window, type your password, and press enter. Next, click login options. Next to the automatic logon, select the account you added the login item to, and enter your password again. Now, open the application kexthelper. Go to the folder kexts, which was unzipped from the GMAX3100 archive earlier. Select all of the kext files, and click and drag them onto the white space in the kexthelper application. Then type your root password into the box, and click easy install. After it says cross your fingers and reboot, reboot your system. Now your graphics should be fully accelerated. To continue, skip over the next paragraph of text.

For the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135m and 140m, the installation is much simpler. You should have fully accelerated graphics after installing 10.5.3, but if not you could try some of the kext files people have posted throughout this thread. Some people have also said that sleeping and waking the display/system can improve performance, so it may be a good idea to install the sleepdisplayscript application found in the gmax3100 folder above. Installation is the same, except you don't need to use automatic login.

Now, to get your battery meter partially working (it will only tell you percent charge left) in kalyway follow all of the steps below. The battery meter should work out of the box on iATKOS. Download the attached zip file, named powermanagement.bundle.zip. Now unzip it. From the root of your leopard install partition, open the folder system, then library, then systemconfiguration. Drag the file powermanagement.bundle onto the trash icon in the dock. Now drag the powermanagement.bundle you unzipped earlier into the systemconfiguration folder. Now open terminal, and type "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" then enter, then enter your root password, then press enter. Once this process is complete, reboot your system. To set your system to show the icon all the time, go to energy saver in the system preferences app, and click options, then select "show battery status in menu bar".

Now it is time to get your sound card (sigmatel 9205) working. Download the attached zip archive, named sound_files.zip, and unzip it. Now, unzip the file applehdapatcherv1.20.app.zip. This is Taruga's applehdapatcher version 1.2. Now drag the text file codec_dump1.txt onto the frog icon. Once the application opens, enter your password, press enter, and it will begin patching your system. When it is finished, reboot your system. Now, unzip the file applehda.kext.zip. Open kexthelper, and drag the applehda.kext file onto the whitespace in the application. Enter your root password, and click easy install. When the install finishes, reboot your system, and your sound should be almost fully working! (Line-In, internal speakers, headphones, and automatic muting of speakers when headphones are plugged in all works, but muting with the mute button does not work). The kext was originally made by paulo-131, but I made a small modification to it so that it would work with my D630. D830 users may have other options, go here for the thread containing more information.

Next, you can get your PCMCIA card slot working. This is fairly simple to do. Download the attached zip archive named Chun-Nan_PCMCIA_Rev_8.zip. Unzip that, open the folder that was unzipped, and there should be two kexts inside. Once again, open kext helper, and drag these two kexts into the white space. Type in your root password, and click easy install. Reboot when it tells you too. Now, open terminal, and type "sudo dmesg | grep PC", press enter, enter your root password, and press enter. Your output should say something about your PCI configuration changing, and should also display "O2Micro OZ711EZ1" somewhere. These kexts were made by Chun-Nan, and EqUaTe told me where to find them.

Now, there are some finishing touches you can make to the OS now, but you are almost finished. If you used Kalyway, you should install the kalyway virginizer, to uninstall all of the weird mods that kalyway made to the system, such as extra applications and the dock. You need to do this after installing everything, because it will remove the kext helper. Go here for the virginizer, and instructions on how to install it: Kalyway Virginizer. If you installed iATKOS, go here for the virginizer.

Although there are still some problems with your system, this is the closest you can currently get to a perfect system. Here is what should currently working:

1. Both cores of your proccessor
  2. Internal Speakers
  3. Headphones
  4. Line-In (Microphone)
  5. Hardware Accelerated Graphics (with any resolution)
  6. Sleep
  7. Wireless Internet (If you have the Dell Wireless 1390, 1490, or 1500)
  8. Touchpad and Keyboard
  9. Correct recognition of all hardware in System Profiler (Except system model, Boot rom, and serial #)
  10. PCMCIA Card Slot
  11. CD/DVD Burning
  12. High speed hard drive access (w/ AHCI)

And here is what isn't working, or is not functioning perfectly:

1. Ethernet (Broadcom NetXtreme 5755m Gigabit Ethernet)
  2. Internal Microphone
  3. Correct measurement of CPU temperature and CPU fan RPM speed
  4. Battery Meter (Displays percent, but not time)
  5. System Shutdown/Reboot (AppleHDAPatcher causes this for GMAx3100 users, and graphics drivers cause it for NVIDIA users.)

Lastly, anyone who knows how to get ethernet working, or get anything else here that is currently only partially working fully working, please post it here. Also, tell me if these instructions work for you or not. After all that work, I hope you have fun with your new Hackintosh Installation :P

If you have already followed this guide and now want to upgrade to 10.5.3, start from the fifth paragraph of the guide and follow all the following instructions again. If you now want to upgrade to 10.5.4 (from 10.5.3) all you need to do is install the update through software update.

For people having trouble downloading the files at the end of this post, here is a link to a zip file containing all four of the zip files at the end of the post: http://rapidshare.com/files/126723792/Dell...rivers.zip.html

One last thing, I discovered that PC-EFI causes no problems for booting 32 bit windows XP, contrary to what some people have said on this site. I currently am using the darwin bootloader to dual boot, and I have EFI installed also. The easiest way of dual booting (in my opinion) is to install windows xp, then install os x, and use the darwin bootloader to boot windows.

Hello,

Now my network card which is broadcom 5755 is working after I installed AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext. My laptop is dell latitude d630.

thanks for this kext. It recognized hardware immdiately after installation of this kext.

• 2 weeks later...
I configured my D830 as a powerhouse under Windows and networking is a key feature for me. I've given up for now. Without built in Wireless, (Intel), I have a pretty package, but useless for my purposes.

I'm hoping the newly releases Penryn based Macbooks have the newer Intel Wireless chipsets and will be supported soon natively so I can try again.

It was fun tinkering though. Good luck to all.

D830 is like my D630. It was WLAN and WWLAN slots - that both support WIFI cards. I use an Intel card in the WLAN for Windows/Linux and a Broadcom (Airport) card for OSX in the WWLAN slot. Works perfectly. You can pick up Broadcom cards on Ebay for about $20ish USD shipped.