Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Hello to All,

I'm trying to understand how the GMAX3100 is working

I Have a Dell D630 with Intel Graphics

Everything work fine thank for everyone on this thread Except That I do not have Video Acceleration

I Installed The Os Using xXX_10.5.6 Final Version 1

Right now under system preference under graphics no KEXT is loaded

I tried with different GMAX3100 Kext but still black Screen after reset

If someone have any precise suggestion i will be happy to test it

thank you

Well after 2 weeks of many many re-installs I can safely say I have a sweet up and running MacDell D630!

Got the graphics hardware acceleration to work with VGA out on the 135m.

Sound, wireless (dell) and Ethernet all work without issue.

Shutdown/restart is the only buggy thing but that just means you gotta manually press the power button.

I even have my own procedural document for all this in case I have to redo it all!

One thing am worried about now is the upcoming 10.5.7 release! Do you guys think it's safe to patch up? Could it and would it break anything ? I am assuming that the worst case scenario is having to reinstall some drivers like in the upgrade to 10.5.6, but still can never be too sure...

Anyone who tests this update (out on May 8th) please let us know your experiences with 10.5.7! ;)

aww well I guess they didn't come out with it today. I heard normally apple puts out updates on mondays or tuesdays though, so hopefully it'll come out in a few days. I'm thinking that if you're running a vanilla kernel though, you should be able to update okay. also, I think iPC comes packed with the patches you needed for updating to 10.5.6, so hopefully it's the same deal again for 10.5.7.

Hi,

First thanks for this nice threat... it really helped alot. I got my Dell D830 working almost flowlessly (used IPC 10.5.6), with one exception.

I searched around for 2 or 3 days now and could nt find any answer....

Following Problem:

External Display using DVI connector on Docking station does not work.

The internal Display is working fine. I used the Original Appel GMAX3100 kext (i belive from 10.5.5... couldnt find the 10.5.6 anywhere) (no natit) and the sleep script from the first post of this script.

Now when I put the Laptop into the docking station with the external monitor connected (DVI) and i boot up, i ve a pic on the external monitor initialy. But right AFTER the white screen with the apple logo the external monitor is telling me "no signal" and the internal switches on after the sleep trick. And I cannot find anything under System. -> DISPLAYS that would hint at the fact that it has detected anothe screen. (Not that i know how that would look like).

Anyways if i press fn+f8 the first time the internal display gets colored lines on it. When i press it again, the external monitor suddenly comes to life. but instead of displaying the desktop it still displays the white screen with the apple logo from boot.

I am really puzzled, caz in almost every forum topic i found their was always problems with the internal display and the external worked out of the box. not the other way around like with in my case.  This leads me to think that it might be something really stupid. But I cannot find it...

Help plz.

Hey I'm completely new to this and I'm having problems with my D830 with the Nvidia. What options need to be selected from the "customize" menu when using iAktos 5i ? Every time i try it i get to the first apple screen and then an error image shows up. what am i doing wrong?

10.5.7 is a success!

EDIT:: I didn't notice till now, but my power management is shot, in that the laptop thinks it's a desktop, without a battery (ie what it does by default). I'm attempting to fix it, and will post an update once I have. ALSO! Sleep is working a bit better now, I believe, since we don't need to use the HDAPatcher and such.... yay.

I updated using System Update (not a separate download, the built in updater), and nearly everything was intact upon TWO reboots (this is typical, I'm just reminding people to be patient, and let the computer do its thing). The only thing that broke was Sound, which I have re-enabled using a new method (relative to what I was previously doing, not NEW in the sense that I discovered something), VoodooHDA!

Just install it like normal, and output should be working fine. No input, but I'm pretty sure this is an issue with this version (it is beta, remember), and not our models. Aside from some minor issues, things seem to work great! I've posted a bug report for it here: VoodooHDA Forums.

You can download VoodooHDA from here: VoodooHDA 0.2.2. If you currently have audio working, be sure to remove any other kexts, like HDAEnabler and ALCInject, as they could cause problems (according to what I've read).

Also, I believe there was a graphics update in 10.5.7. I haven't noticed any changes yet, but I did not have any issues. SleepDisplayScript.app is still working well, and I didn't have to do ANYTHING to graphics.

If you follow my previous posts, and have a similar setup to mine (DSDT, Chameleon, Disabler.kext, etc), things should go without a hitch. Good luck!

my old d600 got fryed by battery issue.

now getting from dell a free d630 2.2 ghz, 2gb ram with x3100, Dell Wireless 1395 and 14.1'' WXGA+ (1440X900)

including 3 year complete care warranty with accedental:)

gonna be my new hackbook:)

as far as i can read it will work nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

i got problems installing it on a Dell D630 (Intel graphic)

Regardless of the iversion (10.5.2 ... 10.5.6) I get a kernel panic shortly after booting from DVD:

"IOAPIC Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23"

I tried various installation DVDs (Kalyway, Ideneb, XXX, IPC), bios versions, (currently V13), bios settings and boot switches (-v cpus=2 etc) as menitioned in the posts. but I had no success up to now.

The installation DVDs seem ok, installation on a Dell GX280 was ok w/o any problems.

Any hints ? Any suggestion is welcome !

Regards

sp-am

Hi thanks for the guide.

I am having issues though. Using a d830 with nvidia quadro nvs 140m with an existing xp parition, I am trying to install with iATKOS 5i 10.5.5.

The first error that occurs is trying to boot from the CD:

"com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin" has immediate dependencies on both com.apple.kernal and com.apple.kpi components; use only one style

It stops after that. I can sometimes (50%?) bypass that with -v -f -x and install with default settings.

It didn't automatically boot and gave me boot0: error, so i set the partition to active, now I get "boot0: MBR boot0: done" and it stops.

Does anyone have suggestions?

iAtkos 10.5.5 is really iffy with latitudes, why don't you try iPC 10.5.6 final? with iPC, you can also upgrade to 10.5.7 with virtually no problems too. iPC takes a while to start up, but it's a lot more reliable than iAtkos 5i. iAtkos 4 is really reliable though, it's never failed to boot up for me. but then again, it's 10.5.4, and incredibly difficult to upgrade, at least in my experience.

Hi all,

i got problems installing it on a Dell D630 (Intel graphic)

Regardless of the iversion (10.5.2 ... 10.5.6) I get a kernel panic shortly after booting from DVD:

"IOAPIC Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23"

I tried various installation DVDs (Kalyway, Ideneb, XXX, IPC), bios versions, (currently V13), bios settings and boot switches (-v cpus=2 etc) as menitioned in the posts. but I had no success up to now.

The installation DVDs seem ok, installation on a Dell GX280 was ok w/o any problems.

Any hints ? Any suggestion is welcome !

Regards

sp-am

Try Leo4Allv3. You can also try this. When booting, press F8. Boot with these commands: -v cpus=2

If that doesnt work, try below:

Or Try burning the DVD at the lowest speed. I think the lowest the TSST Drive in the D630's can do is 4x. Use ImgBurn to burn it.

I just got this up and running 100% on my D630. Im also running it as a dual boot with Windows 7.

Created a 2nd Partition formated it as NTFS Quick Format.

Since I am on Win 7, the AHCI Drivers are already installed. I just had to make a regedit, reboot, windows installed the drivers, reboot, set up AHCI in bios, booted into windows. BAM, Windows now sees my drive as a SATA controller and not a ATA Controller.

Popped the Leo disk in, rebooted, booted to cd. Let it boot without any -codes.

formated the 2nd partion as HFS+ Journaled. customized, installed within 30 minutes.

it rebooted to a flashing -...could only boot with the cd......no big deal since I had Windows still installed.

Used my Win7 install disk, went into terminal through the Win7 disk, set windows partion as active.

rebooted into windows, downloaded chamelion, rebooted, boot into osx with cd, installed chamelion, reboot, now gives me the Chamelion boot menu so I can select OSX or Win7 (OSX is my default, can change with EasyBCD in Windows) No more CD Boot. Woooohoooo!

Booted into Windows since my sound, network, or wifi didnt work.

found this trusty guide.

got all 3 to work and my PCIMCIA Card to work.

I would have gone with iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6) but deleted the iso so couldnt burn at a lower speed.

Currently following MYSTIQUEMAC's guide to update my Leo4Allv3 10.5.2 to 10.5.7

http://www.mystiquemac.com/forum/viewtopic...?f=10&t=242

this script has saved me SO MANY TIMES!!!!!

Now only if I can get this dam video card to work.

Bios says it's a 965, windows device manager says its a 965, device id 2A02 says it's a X3100. Install the x3100 drivers. BAM black screen

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle

rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle

rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle

rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

diskutil repairPermissions /Volumes/leo_volume

Hello all,

I got the following working on my D630 using xXX 10.5.6 final

Installed the following customs

Intel ICH10 SATA Support

AppleBCM5751Ethernet

PowerManagement Package

VoodooPower

Clamshell Display Support

IOPCMCIAFamily

Shutdown/Restart Fix

PS/2 Keyboard Fix

PS/2 Mouse Fix

AppleSMBIOS-27 Rev3 667MHz

Kext Helper b7

Wireless – Broadcom

Patch DSDT

Audio was done manually using the sound drivers in the first post. Did an update to 10.5.7 from Apple Updates with no problems.

Everything works except my GMAX3100, which displays black screen on boot. I have to do the sleep trick in order to get video working.

If anybody has any success stories regarding GMAX3100 and D630 please let me know!

Hope this helps for anybody that is stuck

@BryceW:

Thanks for your advice !

Booting from DVD is still unsuccessful.

My solution now : booting 10.5.6 from a USB flashdrive, this worked for me.

From this I could call the OSX installer on the IPC 10.5.6 DVD and was able to install IPC on the harddisk.

some questions:

what's your DVD drive (manufacturer). I'm wondering why I got problems booting the DVD whilst other guys didn't have any problems.

what's your WIFI card ? I have a BCM4328 and was not able to get it into operation.

X3100 Display seems ok for the present (sleep trick with Fn+esc)

Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...

Dell D630 Alps Trackpad Scrolling....

I've taken MeDevil's source from this post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...7272&st=20# and updated it to work well on a D630. This provides native right side trackpad scrolling as you would find in Windows. It took some slight tweaking to make it work. I also disabled his horizontal scrolling as it took up part of the bottom of the trackpad and I was constantly hitting that area which would stop mouse movement. It scrolls a bit quick but I couldn't find out how to tune the edge acceleration. Also his original source made it scroll after tweaking but it was inverted so I was able to reverse this so the direction of scrolling is proper. This Kext can be thrown into an existing ApplePS2Controller.kext into your ./ApplePS2Controller.kext/Content/PlugIns/ folder. This does not require FFScroll or any of those other daemons which didn't seem to work well on the D630.

ApplePS2Trackpad_9.zip

ApplePS2Trackpad.kext.zip

Hi,

I'm trying to get QE/CI working together with external VGA on my Dell D830 with Quadro NVS 140M. I get QE/CI on the internal monitor with this NVCAP:

04000100 00000300 0C000000 0000000A 00000000

but when I have a monitor plugged in, the laptop starts up with two blank screens. This can be fixed with many different NVCAP's, among others:

04000100 00000100 0E000000 0000000A 00000000

but I lose QE/CI. I've tried about 20 different NVCAP's, and the only one with a working QE/CE is the one with the 3 and C. I'm struggling to figure out exactly which combination triggers the loss of QE/CI.

Looking at http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214 , I wonder if the Dell has the 4 or 5 bit NVCAP section. I understand that a docked D830 has a DVI output? That would mean that the 0C could be 1C potentially?

Does anyone know where I can look to try and figure out why QE/CI disappears with different NVCAP strings and/or when a monitor is plugged in?

P.S.

Thanks to all of you in this forum. Everything except wireless works nearly flawlessly thanks to you!

Hi,

I'm trying to get QE/CI working together with external VGA on my Dell D830 with Quadro NVS 140M. I get QE/CI on the internal monitor with this NVCAP:

04000100 00000300 0C000000 0000000A 00000000

but when I have a monitor plugged in, the laptop starts up with two blank screens. This can be fixed with many different NVCAP's, among others:

04000100 00000100 0E000000 0000000A 00000000

but I lose QE/CI. I've tried about 20 different NVCAP's, and the only one with a working QE/CE is the one with the 3 and C. I'm struggling to figure out exactly which combination triggers the loss of QE/CI.

Looking at http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=214 , I wonder if the Dell has the 4 or 5 bit NVCAP section. I understand that a docked D830 has a DVI output? That would mean that the 0C could be 1C potentially?

Does anyone know where I can look to try and figure out why QE/CI disappears with different NVCAP strings and/or when a monitor is plugged in?

P.S.

Thanks to all of you in this forum. Everything except wireless works nearly flawlessly thanks to you!

The solution is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...amp;mode=linear

Turns out we have to use NVCAP of:

04000000 00000300 04000000 00000007

note the missing last zeros block.

With that I have a working laptop display and VGA output on my D830.

My notes on the installation are:

- boot up iatkos 5.5. You may have to retry up to 20 times before it boots. Don't worry about that.

- choose

- 9.5.0 kernel

- x86 ACPI

- no drivers (unless you want NTFS or something)

- boot first time with -x

- run nvinstaller v.52, vanilla option, and reboot

- install the nvinject ext using kext helper & reboot

The most important part is the kext from the link above, I'll bet that nvcap value works with several installation types & boot CDs.

pardon the stupidity, but where do i put the other file we download (with all the .h files) for the trackpad? also, is there some special method we need to use to drop the first kext in, other than just deleting the original and dragging and dropping the new one and authenticating? thanks!

Dell D630 Alps Trackpad Scrolling....

hey this didn't work on my D630 with OS X 10.5.7, I put it in the PS2 kext plugins folder... rebooted... kept getting an error about unable to use... finally I just put it in System>library>extensions loose. Fixed permissions, etc. and I get scrolling now!! It shows all the options in trackpad preference now!

one problem is that is scrolls SO FAST and that is with scrolling speed all the way down (which doesn't seem to do anything anyway)

Any idea to turn the scrolling speed down?

pardon the stupidity, but where do i put the other file we download (with all the .h files) for the trackpad? also, is there some special method we need to use to drop the first kext in, other than just deleting the original and dragging and dropping the new one and authenticating? thanks!

I believe the 9.zip is the source files, you don't need those... just do what you explained and see if that works?

A few problems/questions....

1) About this mac is reporting Core 2 Duo 1.81 GHz (mine is a 2.0 GHz)

EDIT: Fixed this.... was the voodoo power management instead of the intelspeedstep one, not sure which ill use yet since this isn't a huge deal.

2) How can I tell if both cores are working and if I am getting the performance I should?

3) My WiFi LED isn't on under Mac OS X.... can I enable it somehow? WiFi does work though...

thanks for any help....

hey this didn't work on my D630 with OS X 10.5.7, I put it in the PS2 kext plugins folder... rebooted... kept getting an error about unable to use... finally I just put it in System>library>extensions loose. Fixed permissions, etc. and I get scrolling now!! It shows all the options in trackpad preference now!

one problem is that is scrolls SO FAST and that is with scrolling speed all the way down (which doesn't seem to do anything anyway)

Any idea to turn the scrolling speed down?

I believe the 9.zip is the source files, you don't need those... just do what you explained and see if that works?

ah thanks, it works now. although, it does seem quite fast.

as an aside, does anyone have audio working so that you can control your input levels?

D630 and booting the install DVD

Up to now I found no way to boot from any of the the hackintosh install DVDs in the D630.

My way was to boot the live installation from a USB stick and calling the installer on the DVD from the running system.

Unfortunately only the IPC DVD allows this. All other installations display a message "press enter for reboot" immediately after calling the installer and try to boot from the DVD, unfortunately this does not work with my D630.

Is there any way to skip this DVD reboot and to install from a running system? I can remember that a file has to be removed from the installation DVD but I cannot find the post anymore.

Any assistance is welcome !