Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Speaking of Time Machine. I can do manual Time Machine backups by selecting "Back Up Now" from the Time Machine menu but it will not do automatic backups. I checked the console log and it appears to be related to the battery:

1/8/09 9:44:23 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[56147] Not starting automatic backup, insufficient battery power remaining (0%)

My Dell is plugged in and the battery shows 100%.

Any ideas?

I just updated to 10.5.6, and it worked right afterwards, but when I installed the graphics drivers (gmax3100) it stopped working. I can boot in safe mode and fn esc sleep and then wake to log in.

When booted normally the screen is black, but on, there is a cursor stuck up in the top left and then another cursor that moves with the touchpad sleeping and waking doesn't help this.

Any ideas?

edit: I removed the video drivers again and it went back to working. I reinstalled the graphics kexts, and ended up in the same place as before.

Any thoughts on why the video kexts would stop working after the update?

Also, kirby you should note the OS build you were working with for the 10.5.6 update guide you wrote on the last page. I had no issues without installing those things before the update, I ran the DSDT patcher afterward, but I think the chameleon installer would cause some issues with kalyway?

Another note, sleep seems to have been delayed, it takes ~10 seconds for it to sleep now, wake is still instantaneous. I think that might have something to do with the ethernet kext that was posted a few pages back, but I couldn't be sure.

I have some issue with x3100. When booted, after loading graphics driver screen goes black, but external lcd, if connected, work fine.

I've installed XXX 10.5.6 with defaults on my d630, then boot to single mode and delete native X3100 kexts. Afterwards booted to safe mode, use kexthelper to install Slashhack's x3100 kexts then repair permission and reboot with -f.

How can I make worked internal lcd?

Please, help me guys! %)

I do a retail 10.5.4 install & update to 10.5.6 on my D630, with nVidia Quadro onboard full working.

this method: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=144020

nVidia package: http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/ (install NVkushInstaller.pkg.tgz only)

But Broadcom Lan still finding solution.

Note that u need a ps2 keyboard patch after update to 10.5.6.

Also, kirby you should note the OS build you were working with for the 10.5.6 update guide you wrote on the last page. I had no issues without installing those things before the update, I ran the DSDT patcher afterward, but I think the chameleon installer would cause some issues with kalyway?

Another note, sleep seems to have been delayed, it takes ~10 seconds for it to sleep now, wake is still instantaneous. I think that might have something to do with the ethernet kext that was posted a few pages back, but I couldn't be sure.

Yes, the ethernet kext causes the delay. What do you mean about the chameleon installer and kalyway? Could you be more specific... I can't tell if you're saying there is a problem, or asking if there would be. I was using 10.5.5 when I updated to 10.5.6, which ever build is stock.

EDIT AND UPDATE: I tried the kexts posted up above in the X3100 thread, from Slashhack. While they did (possibly) make the sleep trick unnecessary, they also put Core Image back to software and Quartz Extreme to unsupported, IE no hardware acceleration... I'll take hardware acceleration any day vs no sleep trick.

Dell D830 running iPC 10.5.4 (6)

Couldn't get the NVS 135M hardware supported, it worked fine with the NV Injector .21 but that was it.

So after a bit of reading I unistalled the Injectors with OSX Tools, installed the 9f23 package, installed NVKush and enabled Quartz with OSX Tools, the result:

I Can Has Model?:

Chipset Model: I Can Has Model?

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x042b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

QuartzGL: Supported

Display Connector:

Can't get resolution higher than 1280x800, laybe that's a hardware limitation on the laptop panel though.

Thanks to njme7703 in this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/i...105802-450.html

Yes, the ethernet kext causes the delay. What do you mean about the chameleon installer and kalyway? Could you be more specific... I can't tell if you're saying there is a problem, or asking if there would be. I was using 10.5.5 when I updated to 10.5.6, which ever build is stock.

EDIT AND UPDATE: I tried the kexts posted up above in the X3100 thread, from Slashhack. While they did (possibly) make the sleep trick unnecessary, they also put Core Image back to software and Quartz Extreme to unsupported, IE no hardware acceleration... I'll take hardware acceleration any day vs no sleep trick.

That's strange... I still need the sleepfix, but quartz extreme is supported and core image is hardware accelerated...

Hi All! I have installed iATKOS 5i on my D630 

I have all working, but Reboot,Sleep,Shutdown and a don't see battery time. 

I have installed all Power Management Kexts, but during boot a see that:

Skipping dublicate extension ...AppleACPIPlatform with older/same version (1.x.x -> 9.9.9)

What is this 9.9.9 ?? 

Also i get this in the Terminal window:

alexeys-mac-pro:~ alex$ kextstat | grep ACPI
   18   11 0x37aff000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily (1.2.0) <12>
   19	2 0x37b4d000 0x3d000	0x3c000	com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform (9.9.9) <18 17 12 7 4>
   30	0 0x3dab3000 0x3000	 0x2000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPCI (9.9.9) <19 18 17 12>
   33	0 0x3dc73000 0x4000	 0x3000	 com.apple.driver.AppleACPIButtons (9.9.9) <22 19 18 7 6 5 4 2>
   70	0 0x37bfa000 0x5000	 0x4000	 com.superhai.driver.ACPIBattery (1.1.6) <18 5 4>
   79	0 0x3d8be000 0xf000	 0xe000	 com.apple.driver.ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin (3.3.1d0) <78 77 18 17 12 7 6 5 4>
   86	0 0x37a75000 0x2000	 0x1000	 com.apple.driver.Apple16X50ACPI (1.9) <85 18 12>

And if I trying to load kext manually, I see that:

bash-3.2# kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext
kextload: loaded version 9.9.9 of module com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform differs from requested version 1.0.5
kextload: a different version of /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext, or of one of its dependencies, is already loaded

Any Ideas? Ithink i have wrong kexts.

dear all,

i have a weird problem with my iatkos v4i on a d630: i have a full qe/ci with the correct resolution, but only on the built-in screen. if I hook up an external monitor and press fn+f8, the screen goes scrambled and I have to reboot to use the laptop. I followed roneil's guide completely and now I have no idea what can be wrong.

any help would be highly appreciated.

thanks.

Hi everyone, I, like most of you here, have a Dell Latitude (D630), and it looks like a lot of you have gotten iATKOS 5i working, so would you all mind sharing your customization settings/any other steps you took to install 10.5.5, exactly? I've read a few in previous posts, but none of them seemed to work for me, yet they were all different, so I'm hoping on finding more possible solutions. It's kind of weird that we have the same computers, but get different results, and I've been working on it for the past 48 hours to no avail.

Also, I've seen this problem in previous posts too but no clear solution, do any of you have a problem where the v5i installer disc will only boot like once every 20 tries, and for no clear reason? I read that you had to reset your bios/system memory, but I have on idea how. Any other ideas as to how to make the installer work consistently?

Any and all help is appreciated, and I hope it'll help others with the same problem!

@ericCW

@ravennolonger

@ANYBOY à Please, if you have anything to add…

For the BIOS:

Revision A15

Onboard Device

-- Integrated NIC : Enabled

-- Internal Modem : Off

-- External USB ports : Enabled

-- Parallel Port : Off

-- Serial Port : Off

-- PC Card and 1394 : Off

-- SATA Operations : AHCI

-- Module Bay Device : Enabled

-- Flash Cache Module : Off

-- ASF Mode : Off

-- Microphone : Enabled

Video

-- Ambient Light Sensor : Enabled

-- Brightness : Maximum

-- Brightness (AC) : Maximum

-- Primary Video : Dock Video Card

Security

-- No need for Password explanation

-- Wireless Switch Change : Denied

-- Wi-Fi Catcher Change : Denied

-- CPU XD Support : Enabled

-- TMP Security : Off

-- TMP Activation : Deactivate

-- Computrace : Disable

Performance

-- Multi Core Support : Enabled

-- Dynamic Acceleration Enabled

-- HDD Acoustic Mode : Bypass

-- SpeedStep Enable : Off

Power Management

-- Auto On Mode : Off

-- Auto On Time : 8:00AM

-- USB Wake Support : Off

-- Wake on LAN/WLAN : Off

Maintenance

Nope, you won't get my service tag!!!

Docking

Nothing important there

POST Behavior

Nothing important there

Wireless

-- Internal Bluetooth : Off (I don't have Bluetooth)

-- Internal Wi-Fi : Enabled

-- Internal Cellular : Off

-- Wireless Switch : Wi-Fi

-- Wi-Fi Catcher : Off

-- LAN/Wi-Fi Autoswitch : Off

--------------------------

I tried iATKOS 5i and it didn't work at first. I had many errors. White Cursor, Kernel Panic, Restart the Computer message, bla bla bla, I think I got them all. Sometimes, I was able to start the OSX Setup and it would crash. Now, I can install iATKOS 5i anytime. The trick, on my D630, and don't ask me why, is the following:

1: Make sure to press F8 to get to Darwin Options

2: Enter the following if you have 4Gb of memory (you understand that for 2Gb you change the maxmem number): –v cpus=2 maxmem=4096

3. If you get a Kernel Panic (it's up there when it crashes…I think right in the middle of the screen (text)) don't panic. I found out a trick that works everytime on *my* D630. I reboot, then go in the BIOS setup, then change something for the CPU. I normally switch the Multi-Core to Off and the Speedstep to Enabled). Afterward, I save the new BIOS Setup (ESC and Save/Exit). I reboot and enter the BIOS Setup Again. I change, again, yes…again, the Multi-Core to Enabled and the Speedstep to Off. I save the BIOS Setup (ESC and Save/Exit). I Reboot again…and let the DVD boot. I press F8 again, to go in Darwin Options and I enter the same thing as before: -v cpus=2 maxmem=4096

4. That's how it works for me. I installed iATKOS 5i many times that way.

If it works for you, could you let us know what options you used in the "Customize" ?

I'm trying to figure out the best kernel to use and the best setup in regards to SpeedStep (Off or Enable), CPU XD Support (what the heck is that?), SMBIOS, …

I also tried iDeneb v1.3 and it worked very well...

Thanks

ravennolonger, if you're okay not having 10.5.6, try iATKOS v4i, it worked perfectly for me, and the installer boots every time. I'm using 10.5.6 in iPC right now though with the iPC beta release (it worked fine with no patches), but like the 5i installer, it only works half the time. which is better than one in every 20 times, but still flaky. so try one of those out, and if they both fail, post a picture/list of the customization options for each and i'll tell you which ones i checked.

in other news though, whereas the battery meter works for iATKOS, it no longer works with iPC 10.5.6...i've tried all the powermanagement.bundles i could find on insanelymac, and the applesmarbattery and appleapcipowersource kexts. i'm out of options as far as internet forum help goes, so if anyone has any idea what's up, any help would be appreciated. at least i know for sure my computer is capable of displaying a perfect battery meter...it's all a question of finding out which kext/bundles are responsible for it working/not working.

Hey there fellow dell 5i installers I have a question??????

I am running 10.5.5 and I need to update to 10.5.6 what is the easiest way to do this I have tons of stuff installed and would love to do this update without loosing it all. . . . . If anyone could give me some advice or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I am runing a D830 with the Nvidia 135M and everything is working aside from finger scrolling and shutdown. . . .