Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

With a lot of pain and effort I managed to get a running 10.5.5 system on my D630 (with an Intel VGA). Method used: Installed iATKOS 4i to get a 10.5.4 system. Removed the AppleIntel* kext right after installation. Updated to 10.5.5 using the BikeTown patch and combo update. Before restarting used the procedure Scorcho mentioned. At that point I had a booting 10.5.5 system with decent graphics support and sleep. Installing the other kexts (sound + speedstep + battery meter + PMCIA kexts ) somehow broke my sleep support.

Anyone useful ideas how to get sleep support without breaking the other good stuff ( sound + speedstep + battery ) ?

Using iATKOS 5i I don't remember installing any hacks to get the battery meter working. For speedstep I use Superhai's kext and application (since it allows granular control over voltages), and for sound I used the Dell Post-Installer patch. Sleep works perfectly, as does shutdown.

Having an issue now. Just tried to get trackpad scrolling working on the D630 and now the pointing stick is completely disabled. For anyone with a working trackpad & pointing stick, could you please post your ApplePS2Controller.kext (from System/Library/Extensions) and com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist (from Library/Preferences)? I'd really, REALLY appreciate it.

Having an issue now. Just tried to get trackpad scrolling working on the D630 and now the pointing stick is completely disabled. For anyone with a working trackpad & pointing stick, could you please post your ApplePS2Controller.kext (from System/Library/Extensions) and com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad.plist (from Library/Preferences)? I'd really, REALLY appreciate it.

I had this issue a while ago while trying to get multitouch enabled. I just replaced the ApplePS2Controller.kext with an older one and it was working again. Albeit without scrolling.

I have an idea. I have been playing with two D630's trying to get as perfect of an install and have been having a very hard time. I did notice that once I had a good setup I would make a DMG image of the Boot partition and save it on my second partition. That way I could use Disk Installer to restore my boot partition to try again. What if we had some of you who have had success getting their Dell D630 working with everything make a image of their partition and share it? I see that my boot partition image is only 3GB compressed. That could easily be put up on a site for people to download and try. We can do one for the Intel gfx and one for the NVidea.... Just a though. I can share one I have that does work ok but does not have shutdown and restart working. I have not updated to 10.5.6 yet but plan on trying once I make a backup...

TjLaZer: That sounds pretty cool... are you saying using norton ghost? time machine? The problem with this idea is the same with all the other install discs: legality. But if you can do it, and pop it up on the green demon or something, cool!

The other possibility I discovered today is PCWiz's Universal Installer. You can make plugin "packs" for each different computer! For example, there's a pack in there for my desktop's Gigabyte p35-ds3r, which makes it SO easy to install the extra drivers needed, including EFI strings! If someone has some time to fiddle with that and the D630... It could make things very easy. This is of course assuming you can install a base version of leopard first.

Unfortunately, I don't have time, but I think it might be worth it to look into writing a guide using the Boot-123 method and a retail disc.

In other news: updating to 10.5.6!

To do so:

Grab PCWiz'z DSDT patcher: http://######.com/index.php?option=...0&Itemid=48

and Universal Installer: http://######.com/index.php?option=...9&Itemid=48

Open up the Universal Installer, and choose your Leopard volume at the top under "choose hard drive to apply to". Then select "Install PC_EFI v9 Chameleon Edition 1.0.12", and choose install. Once it's done, reboot. You should see on the bootloader screen that it says something about v9 and chameleon efi! This is good. Boot like normal.

Next, open up the DSDT patcher, choose Darwin/OS X and Apply DSDT Patch to: [insert Leopard Volume Here]. Click run! Once it's done, reboot!

These past two reboots were just to make sure that nothing bad happened, and that everything was still working. Also, that DSDT business and EFI updating were just to have things up to date, in case of future use. At the boot screen, you might see some messages about a garbage sleep image and whatnot, these can be ignored... it's basically EFI telling you that there is no sleep image to resume from (hibernate).

Next: grab the Disabler.kext, which kills the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. : http://localhostr.com/files/02dced/Disabler.kext.zip from this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=945772

Install it using Kext Helper. Reboot, just to make sure things are still good.

Now, create a directory somewhere, called Kext Backups. Copy your entire /System/Library/Extensions/* folder into it. This is your safety net.

Grab the 10.5.6 update: http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_5_6_Update

Install said update. Reboot (it will go twice)!

At this point, I got a kernel panic from the speedstep kext I use. Boot into safe mode or use an install dvd's Terminal to delete/deactivate it.

Also, my trackpad and keyboard were completely non-functional. Thus, I booted into my install DVD, opened the terminal, and copied the following kexts from my backup (mentioned above) into my /System/Library/Extensions folder:

AppleACPIPlatform.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

System profiler will be on the fritz, so drag AppleSMBIOS.kext from your backups folder into kext helper.

Sound needs to be repatched, so grab the patcher application from my original guide (link below), repatch, and then copy over AppleHDA.kext from your backups folder into kext helper.

While you're here, you might as well reinstall the powermanagement package to get battery support back. You can download it from the link in my summarized post: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=956725

The last thing to do is to try and put a speedstep kext in there, without getting a kernel panic. Grab the one from http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/ .. and give it a shot in kext helper. It used to work, but now panics for me everytime. Perhaps try the one from SuperHai as well.

Everything should be back as it was... notice a trend here while updating?

About the Video Issue? Anyone getting the same thing? This is with the Nvidia card.

Yea I have experienced choppy video playback while watching DVD's no clue what to do about that. . . . .

On a side note. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On the MacBook pro's you can hold down the "T" key on the keyboard and press the power button to get the computer to start up and act as a firewire drive, any idea if we can somehow do it on ours???

Woot, did a reinstall again and now have sleep working too :) It's a bit quirky though; I have to tab the power button a couple of times before it actually goes to sleep (after choosing 'sleep' it turns off the display etc, but I have to press a couple of times before the power led starts blinking )

Ah well, I'm glad I have Sleep support ATM :D

Had a working 10.2.2 D630 by way of iAtkos 2i, but my daughter performed software update and it attempted to install 10.5.6. Ouch. Started again with XxX Leo 10.5.5 since I had some success with this on a D620 and I wanted to get this D630 to 10.5.5 and after the usual tweaks (PS2, display hacks, etc,) pretty much everything is working well witht he exception of no audio for the STAC 9205 and no battery meter. I had both of these working under 10.2.2, the former by way of the Dell Post Installer Sigmatel 9205 install. I also have ethernet working now by way of the BCM975X kext that's out there now.

Best thing since going to 10.5.5 is that the D630 shuts down properly now and sleep works! Sweet!

Anyone have any insight on using the STAC 9205 under 10.5.5?

iMovie 08 problems please help

I connect my camera (firewire) and It is recognised, and I can control it using Imovie, but the screen is blue!!! Which means that the video isn't being transferred, I can rewind,play,everything (the timecode is even correct) but I get no picture

What can be wrong? is it the firewire port that is the problem? is it Imovie? a missing codec? my graphics card?

anyone else experiencing this behavior?

It would be really cool to centralize all the tutorials present in this topic in a wiki because it's hard to find the needed informations! Today, I will try a iDeneb installation (because the iAktos was unstable). Keep you in touch! Hope to get a perfect working hackintosh soon!

I tried to give credit to whomever gave me the info, but if you deserve credit and I didn't give it to you please let me know and I will update post. I didn't make most of this I only compiled it.

For the love of god flash your bios to latest release, it works and may save you some headaches. I wrote these instructions on A08 though, and then after everything worked upgraded to A14, which worked fine any way, but don't be stupid like me ☺

Dell post installer/Keyboard&Mouse: (keyboardmouse folder)

79. Double Click on Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.dmg

80. You'll find Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3 on your desktop double click it.

81. Double click on Dell Laptop Post Installer v1.3.1 icon

82. For options select Power Management>Lid Sleep

83. The rest are out of date or don't work if you select them, you more than likely will crash and I'm not going to help you

Suggestion here, tell people that they should *not* install the clamshell sleep kext if they have the nVidia graphics option. Since sleep is broken due to any (NVkush, NVinject, NVetc) of the nVidia support having your hackintosh attempt to sleep when the lid is closed will put it into a dead state requiring holding the power button to shut off then restart.

Figured while I was posting…

Has anyone gotten the DVI output to work while docked? If so, what magic did you use to make this happen?

By the same token, while docked, is there a way to have the OS realize the laptop is closed and so the internal display isn't visible? For now I've arranged my desktop with the laptop screen above my external display and just do my best not to send the mouse above the menubar on the external display. Not a particularly ideal solution.

I was hoping the clamshell kext would do the trick, being smart enough to not attempt to sleep the laptop if it was started while the lid was closed (but would disable the display) but it doesn't. Instead it always puts the laptop into sleep, hence my previous post about the warning for nVidia graphics users to not install. I learned the hard way a few months ago :)

Hi,

My first post on this forum!

I'm have problems with my D830, everything seems to be working apart from when I try top open a disc image (for example downloading firefox).

When I open the image my system crashes and I have top reboot via the power button.

I am running 10.5.6 (retail)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Gary

I'm have problems with my D830, everything seems to be working apart from when I try top open a disc image (for example downloading firefox).

When I open the image my system crashes and I have top reboot via the power button.

I am running 10.5.6 (retail)

I know for firewire the suggestion was to replace the seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 and I thought I remembered seeing a mention of disc images being fixed by the same kext. Sorry that isn't more help, I've not updated to 10.5.6 myself yet, still on 10.5.5. Of course if you never had 10.5.5 installed or didn't save the kext's you're stuck and this fix won't help.

Another option if you have Toast installed, use it to mount the disc image instead of just double clicking and having the system mount the image;)

TIME MACHINE:

I recently received an external hard drive, and decided I would start using time machine to backup my laptop. When I attempted to use time machine, I got this error: The built-in network interface could not be found.

It turns out, it was complaining since it couldn't find a device at location en0, which is typically your built-in ethernet port. Since these don't work out of the box on the D630, and activating in the past added time to the sleep cycle, I didn't have it activated. Since I didn't want to activate it, I tried a new SMBIOS, EFI time machine strings (from UInstaller), and various combinations of each. Nothing worked. I also tried a substitute IONetworkingFamily, which was purported to fix this issue. It didn't work either.

In the end, I went with installing the ethernet kext that others and myself have mentioned above. Now time machine works!

Has anyone found a way around this without using the built-in ethernet?

TIME MACHINE:

I recently received an external hard drive, and decided I would start using time machine to backup my laptop. When I attempted to use time machine, I got this error: The built-in network interface could not be found.

It turns out, it was complaining since it couldn't find a device at location en0, which is typically your built-in ethernet port. Since these don't work out of the box on the D630, and activating in the past added time to the sleep cycle, I didn't have it activated.

Has anyone found a way around this without using the built-in ethernet?

Out of curiosity, since I have the nVidia graphics so doubt I'll ever see sleep or restart or shutdown working, what time factor does having the ethernet port active add to the sleep cycle?

As far as a fix, I doubt you'll see one. Time Machine makes a hash or somesuch out of the info it finds for the en0 port and without it can't make the hash so won't do a backup.

I had the same issue, could not do a time machine backup without ethernet.

I also have nvidia nv140. Shutdown won't work but it's not to big of a deal.

My wireless has just seemed to have packed up to, i cant receive a signal. This happened a couple of days ago, anyone else seen this or is it dodgy hardware?

Is anyone using iMovie??????????????? I am and it dosent work see below . . . . . .

I connect my camera (firewire) and It is recognised, and I can control it using Imovie, but the screen is blue!!! Which means that the video isn't being transferred, I can rewind,play,everything (the timecode is even correct) but I get no picture

What can be wrong? is it the firewire port that is the problem? is it Imovie? a missing codec? my graphics card?

anyone else experiencing this behavior?

Finally My DellMacOSX is perfect all is running perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life is sweet!

How did you finally get your QE to work. I can't seem to get mine to support it. Which install DVD, what updates, and what kexts did you use to get yours running perfectly as you say.