Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

I appear to be the only one struggling, if google is any evidence, but where is the wireless card on a dell latitude 630 laptop located? I bought a 1390 dell wireless to replace the one already present, but I dont know which screw to open.

I tried the memory slot but nothing looked like a wireless, I am trying to open the hard drive screws, but one is stuck one impossibly tight - should i proceed with that one or try some other place?

Many thanks

Saptarshi

I just installed one in mine. It's on the bottom left of the keyboard.

You have to pop off the top strip from the right to left (where power buttons and stuff are and where it says "LATITUDE | D630") and then remove three screws to pull up the keyboard . It just slides in and you connect two small antenna leads...

Use google to find the install instructions...

Has anyone got the USB to work correctly in the D820/D830? I have google searched:

Dell USB site:forum.insanelymac.com

And I have read that 10.5.5 has broken the USB. I thought it is usually due to the kernel? Anyhow I was given an ISOUSB kext file from IRC #leopard, that seem to work at first but after a reboot its right back to how it was.

In order for it to read or write to a USB flash drive I have to have it inserted and reboot. Inserted right after the Post otherwise it wants to boot to the USB device.

Once logged into OSX 10.5.5, the USB icon is on the desktop and I can do as usual. Once ejected it no longer is recognized if re-inserted. Sounds like a Sex issue :)

Anyhow I have the XNU 9.4 kernel for CPUs=2 fix for the Dell laptops. I also tried the Voodoo_beta2 kernel which has the built in fix as well, and neither one of them fix the USB issue.

I was told also that it can be a KERNEL and SYSTEM.KEXT mismatch? I did the 10.5.5 combo update from 10.5.2 using the Pre and post patch stuff from the Mysticus thread. Is it possible I still have the wrong SYSTEM.KEXT file?

WHere can I get the correct kext file for Kernel XNU 9.4 or shoudl I grab it off the ideneb 10.5.5 Install DVD?

So is there a fix for the IOUSB Kext out somewhere for both the D820/D830? Both Laptops use different MB chipsets but they may use the same USB controller?

Anyone?

Thanks

Achtung, I'm, trying to use the plist code you provided for side scrolling (I also messed around with trying to get the two finger and then single finger scrolling working a while ago, however it was so horrible, so I just got rid of it) However, I was never able to cleanly remove ffscroll before (it remained in the prefpane), and now, after reinstalling it, it doesn't seem to work right... No matter what I do the the plist, the way it works is always the same (crappy single finger scrolling).

When I try to open the ffscroll prefpane it just sits there saying "Loading FFScroll..."

Additionally, its not even neccissary for me to start the FFScrolldaemon for the effects of the the single finger scrolling to be present.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for the Great Tutorial. I got almost everything working except for the following:

1. The fan on my D630 seems to be running consistently, this doesnt sound normal to me?

2. i dual booted with Iatkos 4.1i, but i did not change it to AHCI. should i do this or does it make a big difference?.

3. Reboot - when i reboot, the screen goes blank and i have to use the power button to shut it down, not sure what i did wrong?

thanks in advance for your help,

1. The fan on my D630 seems to be running consistently, this doesnt sound normal to me?

3. Reboot - when i reboot, the screen goes blank and i have to use the power button to shut it down, not sure what i did wrong?

Simple one first, 3: If your video is the NVidia chipset (either 135M or 140M) then the kext which support that break shutdown. It is normal to have to use the power button to completely turn your laptop off. Once the screen has gone blank as part of the shutdown procedure all disc access has been completed so you can safely turn off your laptop and not have any issues. Many if not all of the different patches to get the soundchip working affect the shutdown/restart operation also. Bottom line, choose shutdown and wait for the black screen then force your laptop to completely shut off by pressing and holding the power button.

The more complicated one is 1: As you've got your machine, if you basically have just done an install and upgrade to 10.5.5, it will always operate with the CPU at 100% speed and voltage. That means the CPU will get warm and the fan will come on. A few pages back someone mentioned a kext that can be used to reduce the speed of the CPU [throttle] without using a speedstep kernel, that is run the CPU at slower than 100% speeds to help it keep cool. I've installed that and I've had good luck with how it works. It definately keeps my machine cooler. There are also speedstep kernals which help reduce the voltage to the CPU to keep it running slower and cooler also. This seems to be a more experimental setup but there are folks here in this thread who've mentioned getting some sort of speedstep kernel working.

Simple one first, 3: If your video is the NVidia chipset (either 135M or 140M) then the kext which support that break shutdown. It is normal to have to use the power button to completely turn your laptop off. Once the screen has gone blank as part of the shutdown procedure all disc access has been completed so you can safely turn off your laptop and not have any issues. Many if not all of the different patches to get the soundchip working affect the shutdown/restart operation also. Bottom line, choose shutdown and wait for the black screen then force your laptop to completely shut off by pressing and holding the power button.

The more complicated one is 1: As you've got your machine, if you basically have just done an install and upgrade to 10.5.5, it will always operate with the CPU at 100% speed and voltage. That means the CPU will get warm and the fan will come on. A few pages back someone mentioned a kext that can be used to reduce the speed of the CPU [throttle] without using a speedstep kernel, that is run the CPU at slower than 100% speeds to help it keep cool. I've installed that and I've had good luck with how it works. It definately keeps my machine cooler. There are also speedstep kernals which help reduce the voltage to the CPU to keep it running slower and cooler also. This seems to be a more experimental setup but there are folks here in this thread who've mentioned getting some sort of speedstep kernel working.

thank you so much,

whats your thoughts on the AHCI setup? i tried changing it in the bios and it made xp unbootable. i will look for the drivers or is it worth it?

the hard drive makes a "clicking noise every 5 seconds or so" is this normal? it doesnt do that in XP, but consistently in Leopard.

do you know who mentioned the CPU throttle kext?

thanks again,

thank you so much,

whats your thoughts on the AHCI setup? i tried changing it in the bios and it made xp unbootable. i will look for the drivers or is it worth it?

the hard drive makes a "clicking noise every 5 seconds or so" is this normal? it doesnt do that in XP, but consistently in Leopard.

do you know who mentioned the CPU throttle kext?

thanks again,

The speedstep kext has come far enough to throttle on its own now. All you do is install a kext w/ the vanilla kernel and your good to go. This is the only way of enabling speedstep without breaking sleep or using a special speedstep kernel.

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-speedstep/

The kext is there. Also, i posted some files that allow you to patch your xp installation to take AHCI. I don't remember how far back they are, but just look at posts i've made in this thread. I've never heard about the clicking issue, and that may be bad. If there is important data on ur hard drive i suggest keeping it backed up. And if you care about this hard drive failing, you may not want to use os x, or wait for a fix for that issue. If u are using os x w/ ATA that may very well be what is causing clicking.

The speedstep kext has come far enough to throttle on its own now. All you do is install a kext w/ the vanilla kernel and your good to go. This is the only way of enabling speedstep without breaking sleep or using a special speedstep kernel.

The kext is there. Also, i posted some files that allow you to patch your xp installation to take AHCI. I don't remember how far back they are, but just look at posts i've made in this thread. I've never heard about the clicking issue, and that may be bad. If there is important data on ur hard drive i suggest keeping it backed up. And if you care about this hard drive failing, you may not want to use os x, or wait for a fix for that issue. If u are using os x w/ ATA that may very well be what is causing clicking.

Thanks a lot roneil4,

i am running os x with ATA and thats what i am thinking is causing the problem. i will look thru the posts.

i downloaded the IntelEnhancedSpeedStep.kext and used the kexthelper to add it.

as for the Vanilla kernel. this really confuses me. am a i suppose to install this separately? or do i check an option when i am loading iATKOS?

if am suppose to load this after the installation, can you point me to tutorial?

thanks again,

That link is broken, but I'm pretty sure have something easier here. I attached some files, so download those. This applies if you are running windows xp with the ATA setting in the bios. Decompress the file, and go into the prepare folder. Open the file install.cmd, then reboot your computer. Once the computer goes off and is starting up again, press f2 to get into the bios settings. Under performance, switch disk mode to AHCI. Now boot xp. When it finishes booting, it should say something about finding new hardware. Now head over to intel.com and install the intel matrix storage manager app. Now you're done!

Don't worry about the readme in the file, I already prepared everything to work for our chipset.

Hey,

Can you please repost the files for the AHCI?

thanks alot

as for the Vanilla kernel. this really confuses me. am a i suppose to install this separately? or do i check an option when i am loading iATKOS?

Don't feel bad, this one threw me for quite awhile too. *the vanilla kernel* isn't anything special. It is the kernel as it came from Apple without any changes to it, such as modifying it to support speedstep on a particular type of machine or to support some sort of BIOS feature that the real Mac OS X never was intended too. A kernel that's plain, so plain it's vanilla (get it?). So basically the vanilla kernel is the one from apple, don't choose any special kernels when you do your install and you get "the vanilla kernel."

One of the flavors of the installers out there also has the option to explicitly specify that the vanilla kernel (vs any other kind) is to be run when booting off the DVD. You would use the "vanilla" option (note there is no "-" like there are with boot flags) to boot that way. Perhaps its the Kaloway (sp?)

For AHCI, I know there is a thread in the Dell support forums on how to add/install the drivers to a XP installation, I know I did it. Go to Dell Support Forum main page and in the search field right at the top of their page search for "AHCI/ATA" and you find a reference to a link called AHCI/ATA Confusion. Just go there follow, its simple. Basically you will install the Intel Matrix manager then the AHCI driver then reboot and change your BIOS.

How to Enable AHCI support in D630 and XP,

Thanks to bsoplinger for helping me with this,

This is taken from Dell Support Forums

Instruction # 1

THESE INSTRUCTIONS WORKED FOR ME

here are the steps:

1. download R154200.exe(drivers) and R154198.exe(intel matrix storage manager) from Dell Support Site (support.dell.com - under SATA)

2. download http://sinrsw03.sg.dell.com/fileup/at.asp?...10585320059.rar. (attached)

3. run R154200.exe and unzip the rar file you downloaded from step 2. you should create 2

directories with the names like R154200 and ATA2AHCI

4. go to ATA2AHCI directory and right mouse click on ahciraid.inf and select install from the menu.

5. go to R154200 directory and right mouse click on both iaahci.inf and iastor.inf and select

install from the menu.

NOTE: someone said step 4 is enough, but i did both step 4 & 5 and it worked.

6. reboot your system. press F2 at startup screen to go inside bios. change SATA operation

from ATA to AHCI. change Flash Cache Module from Off to Enable.

7. save and exit bios. now xp should boot normally.

8. in xp, run R154198.exe.

9. after reboot, you should see Intel 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller is installed

under device manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. DONE!

good luck to all........

Instruction #2

Wait! There is another way to enable AHCI and Turbo Cache – a very simply way which involves only one, maybe two reboots and not a complete system reinstallation. I used this strategy on a Inspiron 1520 after reinstalling Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit, but it should work on any Vista system which is AHCI capable. This involves a manual registry edit, so be careful to follow directions exactly and have a system restore point saved prior to making any registry changes just in case.

Before you begin, download ALL the latest SATA drivers available for your system from the Dell support site. You will need them.

-First, go to start, run, and type "regedit", then press enter.

-In the registry screen, follow this subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

-In the "Msahci" key, double click on "start" in the name column.

-In the "value data" box, change the value to "0", then click ok.

-Close the registry and restart your machine.

-Upon your reboot, press F2 at the Dell splash screen to enter the bios.

-In the bios, change your hard drive setting to AHCI. Save your changes and exit, this time allowing the system to boot into windows. At this point, you'll know if your registry edit worked. If windows does not boot, simply go back into the bios and change your HDD settings back.

-In windows, the automatic hardware installation wizard will install new drivers for AHCI and related things. Pay no attention to this, and DO NOT RESTART when the wizard prompts you to. Rather, install all of the SATA drivers you obtained for your system from the Dell support site without restarting in between them. Once the final driver is installed, then restart your machine again.

-You may now also enable Turbo Cache mode from the bios menu. On this reboot your system may install one final HDD driver, making you do an additional restart.

That should do it! Hope this helps someone.

200792810585320059.rar

Help with Kalyway 10.5.2

hey all,

i tried iATKOS 4.1 and my hard drive was making funny noises, i thought to give Kalway a try, but i have been at for an hour now and i cant get pass the screens after f8,

i have tried typing : vanilla, vanillakernel, -v, -s, -v -x, so on and so forth,

it all gets stuck at : IOAPIC: Version x20

please help, thanks alot,

the hd is set to AICH

here is a video of what happens::

I just installed this and it shows 800 at the menu bar, but it will not allow anything higher when I click on custom. I am guessing this is the CPU freq? I see 800, 1200, 1600 and 2000 in the GUI menu bar, but only 800 works with custom on my D630... I do see the number change when apps load and stuff so I guess it is working. So with out this kext does it always stay on at 2000 and use more power all the time?

I just installed this and it shows 800 at the menu bar, but it will not allow anything higher when I click on custom. I am guessing this is the CPU freq? I see 800, 1200, 1600 and 2000 in the GUI menu bar, but only 800 works with custom on my D630... I do see the number change when apps load and stuff so I guess it is working. So with out this kext does it always stay on at 2000 and use more power all the time?

You've got it right. With the kext the speed of your CPU will try to stay at the slowest (800) speed. It will dynamically change as your machine needs to do more things. That's when you'll see the number change. Since that new kext is always dynamically updating the speed of your CPU when you change the speed via the menu bar GUI it will change but then immediately be dynamically updated via the kext so it'll be back to 800 before the GUI could change to tell you that the speed went up. But if you're just sitting there looking at your laptop you don't need the CPU to be doing much so the 800 speed is just fine. The CPU chip will be using less power and generating less heat. The fan should never come on once you've got the kext installed and you're just sitting on the Mac OS X desktop.

But if you haven't installed the kext the CPU will always be running at 100% full speed (just like you guessed). The CPU chip will get warm and even if you're just sitting at the desktop you will hear the fan turn on. This is hard on all of the components inside your laptop not just the CPU.

I'd recommend everyone who actually is spending any time using their hackintosh in Mac OS X install this kext to keep from killing your laptop. OTOH if you're just playing with OS X once in awhile then there isn't nearly as much risk and its not necessary.

Could someone with working DVI/VGA out please post up their current NVCAP value, as well as which kext you are using (Or if you could just upload your kext :) )

I'm still fighting with this. I had it working once. Rebooted and it quit working. DVI doesn't work, and when I use VGA, I lose both screens. I'd love to be able to get DVI and VGA out of the dock (I use 2x 24" monitors from the dock in Windows.)

@inc188: I have a similar problem in that when I boot my iATKOS 4i disc I get kernel panics alot. I have to keep trying and it will eventially boot up. Tried burning a disc to lowest setting. Bad media maybe? It's weird. But it will eventially do a good boot and install. Keep trying.

Another question. I installed the speed step kext and was wondering if it would be safe to have the Cool Book CPU monitoring tool installed? I like the feature of it showing the CPU temp at the menu bar. Not using it for Speed Step though....

IS ANY ONE ELSE'S HARD DRIVE MAKING CLICKING (almost sounds like the HD is refreshing) every 5-10sec on leopard? i does it for the first 1 min of loggin into XP but then stops, but on Iatkos 4.1 it does it consistently...

please confirm this,

thanks alot,

Kalway 10.5.2 is not working, i can not get pass (: IOAPIC: Version x20)

any thing i should be doing when i am at F8?

thanks again

It seems to me that osx spins up the hdd much more often than in winxp or ubuntu, seems like ~10 seconds maybe, however this is only when there are a number of apps open.

With nothing but quicktime open, watching a divx movie off of flash drive, the hdd didn't spin up once for the two hours... However, running ff and a few other apps, and it seems to spin up as I said, maybe every 10 seconds for just a fraction of a second each time. I am using AHCI, and I think what it really is is that this version of osx was designed for computers with more ram in mind, mine has only one gig (standard these days is AT LEAST 2 gigs), so more applications open would require accessing and writing to the page file more often.

Hi,

i sucessfully installed iDeneb 10.5.5 on my Latitude D630. It takes a few days time of trying, and it is a little tricky i think.

On my D630 the iDeneb installation works with Bios A14.

At the bootloader you have to press F8, then wait about 60 seconds! or there will be kernel panics. then type "-v" and press enter

Now boot stops at IOAPIC Vectors 0x20..

At this point it takes 2 to 5 hours time. Looks like a bug. After this time the boot process goes on into a kernel panic or into the installation menu. I go this way few times, but its working.

Then i installed with kernel 9.4.0.

After that i go into save mode, and deleted all AppleIntelGMA* kext. With "-x" and "-f" it is possible to start in Vesa Mode (or something native).

Then i installed the "sleepdisplay" script as login item in my account. started one time to avoid the internet software warning on next boot. 

Then i installed the combo update again, to make my wifi working. I used the pre and post method from "combo_update_patches.1.2.0" 

In post patches i dsiabled everything. but i need to install the PS2 fix "Test2" two times. I have to connect external usb keyboard and mouse to do this.

To make the GMAX3100 working i let the drivers from combo update 10.5.5 installed, but change the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB against the AppleIntelGMAX3100FB from "D630 installation posting" from insaelymac. Otherwise you got a black screen with only a mouse visible.

Now QI/QE is working.

Sometimes while i working on it i had to type my password blind, because in safe boot leopard ask for the password without activate "sleepdisplay".

Now i run my system with kernel version 9.5.0. I have to go on with install sound support, but i think it will be no problem. I have leopard 2 times installed on my harddisk, one as rescue system. Ones i updated the rescue system with latest apple patches the system doesn't boot anymore because there where a kernel panic. So make backups before applying patches from apple.

Sorry, about this short incomplete description but it was heavy to install ideneb on the d630. 

Val_halla

Interesting english. Is'nt it?

It seems to me that osx spins up the hdd much more often than in winxp or ubuntu, seems like ~10 seconds maybe, however this is only when there are a number of apps open.

With nothing but quicktime open, watching a divx movie off of flash drive, the hdd didn't spin up once for the two hours... However, running ff and a few other apps, and it seems to spin up as I said, maybe every 10 seconds for just a fraction of a second each time. I am using AHCI, and I think what it really is is that this version of osx was designed for computers with more ram in mind, mine has only one gig (standard these days is AT LEAST 2 gigs), so more applications open would require accessing and writing to the page file more often.

that make sense,

do you think this should be of a concern or not? i dont want to load everything and then find out later that my HD is fried,

i got 4gb of ram.

whats your thoughts?

thanks

Well if I'm right that for me its a lack of ram issue, you would be fine. I would stick to AHCI though. Even if your hdd spins up somewhat frequently, that doesn't mean its gonna kick the bucket before its time has come, shouldn't have a ton of influence on lifetime at all really.