Install Guide For Dell Latitude D630 and D830

roneil4

957 posts in this topic

Ok, that is cool. I have a D630 with GMAX3100 and I have "hardware acceleration" enabled but I always thought my graphics are still really slow compared to a MacBook my colleague owns. I means everything works ok, even screensavers and itunes visualization work fast but almost all windows are really sluggish when i try to resize or move them.

Could you post the link to the extensions you are using?

Thanks.

I'm using the extensions from the 10.5.5 combo update. I literally didn't touch them after I installed the combo update. I went right from 10.5.4, no graphics, to 10.5.5, and just left the kexts the update installed there.

Anyone managed to get Multi-Touch working on the D630? I just ran the "Dell Laptops Post Installer" with just MT option checked. After I rebooted, no scrolling, and I lost my trackball. I can live without the multitouch, but I need that trackball back.

Also, anyone figured out a way to fix the reboot issue so that we don't have to hold down the power button?

I finally was able to get my OS X installed on my D630 using the iATKOS V4.1 ISO!! Cannot get sound working with the latest AppleHDA.kext though. Used Kext Helper to install. Restart and shutdown do not work as expected. Still need to figure out if I can get ethernet or wireless working. Video works but in software mode, trying to see if I can get it in hardware. But as far as updating to 10.5.5, do I need to run the Combo Update patches from Bike Town?

Thanks!

@TjLaZer

Yes you have to use BikeTown.

I have another question.... What about wireless? I dont even know what wifi model is? How can i find out, and how to get it working? It says in profiler that i have no airport installed

Also i used the latest kext for sound by theSlug, and now the sound works on jack, and linein works. I have no internal speakers working and no internal mic. Or at least i dont know how to check if the internal mic is working? And mute is not working

Please help

Well I tried the Bike Town patches (as per the instructions) and tried to apply the 10.5.5 combo update and it does not work. Crashes on boot after the apple logo. I get the message I must power off my machine. Apples BSOD screen I guess. What gives? Still cant get audio working at all either...

I have another question.... What about wireless? I dont even know what wifi model is? How can i find out, and how to get it working? It says in profiler that i have no airport installed

Also i used the latest kext for sound by theSlug, and now the sound works on jack, and linein works. I have no internal speakers working and no internal mic. Or at least i dont know how to check if the internal mic is working? And mute is not working

Please help

If you have a 3945 installed for Wireless, you are pretty much SOL for now. You can get a Dell Wireless 1390/1490/1505 card and it will be recognized as a native card. Search the forum for more info.

Use the Kext from the original post. Works for me.

Or at least i dont know how to check if the internal mic is working? And mute is not working

Use the input tab of the sound control panel. It has a bar graph to help you set levels, for inputs that have levels, but the graph works regardless of whether the input supports levels. So you can pick internal mic and then tap your laptop, or talk. You can see the input levels move in response to the noises you make.

That's a pretty good indicator that you have a working mic. You could then try some of the freeware/shareware sound editing programs and actually record yourself talking and play it back to make completely sure.

i used leo4all to install

with vanilla -v cpus=1

cd /volumes/osx_drive/system/library/extensions

rm -rf AppleIntel*

diskutil repairPermissions /volumes/osx_drive

used netkas procedure to update to 10.5.5

used kext and patcher from original post for sound

sleep trick works(from original post

got wireless working with with the script, just google 4311 dell d630 script

used bcm5751 kext for ethernet

Hi there,

I was always a little annoyed about the fact that the trackpad only worked without tapping and scrolling features, because without I felt really unproductive.

I knew that there was the FFScrollingDaemon solution but all the configuration files available didn't work at all for me. So I searched for the source code off FFScroll and found the reason why especially scrolling was never working. Basically if not every key is defined in the com.apple.driver.ApplePSTrackpad.plist scrolling section the "driver"/userland program ffscrolldaemon says that this is not a valid scrolling area and does not use it.

But with the following configuration I now have scrolling working the same way it does in Windows, Linux. Not this "one finger" scrolling sh... which doesn't work at all.

I have defined my scrolling area at the right side from top to bottom of the trackpad but you can easily change it. To any other location. Also hot corners (e.g. third mouse button) works but I don't use/like them.

Eventually you have to adapt the "speedScale" key because it works in combination with the control panel settings (mine is set

to medium).

http://pastebin.com/f1ba3f22

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>ALPSPreferences</key>

<dict>

<key>Hotspots</key>

<array/>

<key>ScrollAreas</key>

<array>

<dict>

<key>type</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>x0</key><integer>920</integer>

<key>x1</key><real>1000</real>

<key>y0</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>y1</key><integer>1000</integer>

<key>invert</key><false/>

<key>direction</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>scrollOutsideArea</key><false/>

<key>scaleSpeed</key><true/>

<key>speedScale</key><integer>500</integer>

<key>autoScrollMode</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>autoScrollRate</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>autoScrollCap</key><integer>1</integer>

</dict>

</array>

<key>TwoFinger</key>

<dict>

<key>circularScrollingEnabled</key><false/>

<key>circularScrollingInvert</key><false/>

<key>circularScrollingRate</key><integer>2</integer>

<key>circularScrollingThreshold</key><integer>2</integer>

<key>horizontalScrollingEnabled</key><true/>

<key>horizontalScrollingInvert</key><false/>

<key>horizontalScrollingRate</key><integer>14</integer>

<key>horizontalScrollingThreshold</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>scrollDominantOnly</key><true/>

<key>verticalScrollingEnabled</key><false/>

<key>verticalScrollingInvert</key><false/>

<key>verticalScrollingRate</key><integer>13</integer>

<key>verticalScrollingThreshold</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>zAcceptThreshold</key><integer>220</integer>

<key>zAcceptsToStart</key><integer>7</integer>

<key>zArraySize</key><integer>16</integer>

<key>zDeclineThreshold</key><integer>10</integer>

<key>zDeclinesToStop</key><integer>8</integer>

</dict>

<key>calibrateMode</key><false/>

<key>doubleTapTolerance</key><integer>100</integer>

<key>hasHotspots</key><false/>

<key>hasScrollAreas</key><true/>

<key>maxTapDragRevTime</key><integer>500000000</integer>

<key>maxTapDragTime</key><integer>250000000</integer>

<key>maxTapDuration</key><integer>80000000</integer>

<key>maxX</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>maxY</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>minY</key><integer>1000</integer>

<key>minX</key><integer>1000</integer>

<key>minDragAssumedTime</key><integer>500000000</integer>

<key>minTapDragTime</key><integer>25000000</integer>

<key>minTapDuration</key><integer>25000000</integer>

<key>physicalButton1Action</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>physicalButton2Action</key><integer>2</integer>

<key>physicalButtonBothAction</key><integer>0</integer>

<key>physicalButtonDragAction</key><integer>1</integer>

<key>scaleTrackpadSpeed</key><true/>

<key>speedScale</key><integer>450</integer>

<key>tapTolerance</key><integer>10</integer>

</dict>

</dict>

</plist>

Try it out, I really like it.

For installation instructions see posts:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=733377

Have fun.

Hi,

I guess I'm the only one with this problem. After following KirbySaysHi's advice, and installing Bike Towns combo patcher, i turn on AHCI and reboot, It reboots twice, on the second reboot, the screen turns blue then black(as expected) and then from the bottomg of the screen thin lines get drawn and the screen has vertical lines of green and yellow hues.

SleepDisplay is running and causes this since if i press command+space and type sleepdisplay the same effect happens.

Does anyone have an idea why?

I am using a Dell 630, same description as KirbySaysHi except the wireless is different.

Regards

Saps

Hi,

I guess I'm the only one with this problem. After following KirbySaysHi's advice, and installing Bike Towns combo patcher, i turn on AHCI and reboot, It reboots twice, on the second reboot, the screen turns blue then black(as expected) and then from the bottomg of the screen thin lines get drawn and the screen has vertical lines of green and yellow hues.

SleepDisplay is running and causes this since if i press command+space and type sleepdisplay the same effect happens.

Does anyone have an idea why?

I am using a Dell 630, same description as KirbySaysHi except the wireless is different.

Regards

Saps

Had the same problem, looks quite scary, use the stock 10.5.5 AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext. Only replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one mentioned in an above post. And obviously install Natit.kext. Works for me.

Thank you achtung. Forgive some basic questions.

Only replace AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one mentioned in an above post. And obviously install Natit.kext.

These .kexts are in the GMAX.. folder attached by KirbySaysHi. Do I use kexthelper to install these two after I run Bike Town's post patcher but before I click on the 10.5.5 install reboot button?

Thank you for your assistance.

Saps

Thank you achtung. Forgive some basic questions.

These .kexts are in the GMAX.. folder attached by KirbySaysHi. Do I use kexthelper to install these two after I run Bike Town's post patcher but before I click on the 10.5.5 install reboot button?

Thank you for your assistance.

Saps

Ok, to be honest I never used any of these installers because you never know exactly what they do. I do all the modification myself so I know why things break when I change something.

I would advice you download the 10.5.5 updater from apple extract the AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext extensions with pacifist.app and put these into a folder.

Then you download the modified framebuffer extension (AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext) and Natit.kext, mentioned somewhere in the previous posts, and put them also into this folder.

Then just restart and boot into single user mode (-s). Mount the disk read/write as explained on the cmd line. Goto the folder with the extensions and do the following commands:

mkdir backup

cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext backup/.

cp -R AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext /System/Library/Extensions/.

cp -R Natit.kext /System/Library/Extensions/.

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX3100*.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/Natit.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

If you installed the sleep display script everything should work fine.

Finally got dual monitor (Main LCD + VGA) working through the dock thanks to one of the replies here.

My next quest is to try to get Ethernet working through the dock. I installed the BCM5751 kext in this thread and get Ethernet (full speed) when un-docked. I would like to know if anyone has gotten it to work while docked.

Dual Core, yet 1 cpu?

Hello,

I check "About this mac" and it says that though this dell 630 is a core 2 duo it shows only 1 processor.

How is that? I probably misunderstood something here.

Note, in the bios i have turned on the multi processor thing.

Thanks again for a 99% working mac on a dell (wireless, for which i ordered a dell 1390)

Regards

Saps

My next quest is to try to get Ethernet working through the dock. I installed the BCM5751 kext in this thread and get Ethernet (full speed) when un-docked. I would like to know if anyone has gotten it to work while docked.

I used the same kext posted here to get docked Ethernet working. I never even tried the undocked configuration basically because for my setup when I'm not docked I'm wireless vs wired LAN connection. So just dock your machine and reboot and see if you have Ethernet working. I've always booted with the Ethernet cable attached when I boot, in case that matters.

An update for me:

Successfully updated to 10.5.5 using the Bike Town patches AND the Delta update, not the combo. Works! Had to reinstall all my drivers though. Also just got a Dell 1390 WiFi card and it works great! Woot. I just burned me a driver CD with all my patches and drivers in case I have to do this again...

Restart and Shutdown still do not work. And I am getting some CD-ROM issues reading data... Not sure if its the drive/media or the OS/drivers...

Now to an important question. Since I am a Mac newbie how can I copy my system to DVD or HD so I can restore incase something gets messed up? Can I use Time Machine? Looking for something I can restore from scratch, ala Norton Ghost style if possible....

Now to an important question. Since I am a Mac newbie how can I copy my system to DVD or HD so I can restore incase something gets messed up? Can I use Time Machine? Looking for something I can restore from scratch, ala Norton Ghost style if possible....

Use carbon copy cloner from Bombich (SP) software. Works like a charm. I'm about to use it to up my 120Gb to a 250GB.

Thanks!

Well another problem I seem to be having is ejecting media, USB drives, CD's etc. They will not eject. But after ejecting if I double click on the icon it does go away.... Anyone know whats the deal here?

My D830 has the 8086:284b and your codec is not working. DO you have another Sigmatel 9205 I can try into the Taruga PAtcher please?

If this sound driver you provide is for the D630 it may not work on the D830?

Edited this afternoon:

I installed the AppleHDA.kext before I did the patching so it was my mistake. You have to remove the existing AppleHDA.kext from the /System/Library/Extenions then patch with the provided codec into the patcher then install the provided AppleHDA.kext file into the same location you deleted the exisitng location.

Sorry about the confusion and THANKS!!!!

Anyone have USB working with 10.5.5? Its only works when I have a USB device inserted before OSX logs in otherwise it does not see the device?

Its broke on both my D820 and D830.

Using the XNU 9.4 patched kernel for CPUS=2 shuttering fix. Alos tried the Voodoo_beta2 kernel and USB still is a problem.

I did not replace any System.kext. No one provided a System.kext with the kernel I installed.