MSI will use EFI BIOS on new P35-Neo3

vbetts

27 posts in this topic

Does this mean pretty soon that all we'll need for OSX86 is dsmos.kext, and nothing else? That would be SWEET! :D

It's about damn time someone did that.

I imagine once 32 bit Vista gets to boot natively in EFI, we'll see those popping up more and more.

Do we really need to cling to 32-bit? 64-bit Vista will have full EFI and GPT with SP1 in a few weeks. I'm typing this from 64-bit Vista, and it runs almost everything flawlessly. The only problem I've encountered is with some super-old AVISynth plugins, which I don't really need anyway. I say screw the old technologies, force the industry to upgrade.

Do we really need to cling to 32-bit? 64-bit Vista will have full EFI and GPT with SP1 in a few weeks. I'm typing this from 64-bit Vista, and it runs almost everything flawlessly. The only problem I've encountered is with some super-old AVISynth plugins, which I don't really need anyway. I say screw the old technologies, force the industry to upgrade.
+1 to this, please, if you can, ditch 32bit and go Vista 64bit. Help push the industry forward and chances are most of your software/hardware will function fine.

ill find out next month , i am selling my windows dual processor xeon system and buying that mobo and a processor.

.here is my question is , since efi will be in place.. will my video cards work in it if they are not efi based.. i have a 7800gt and a ati 1900gt... i am sure the efi will change it over, hopefully....

Yeah, its about time they started throwing EFI in mobos. Hopefully the EFI guys will figure out a way to flash the EFI on these mobos with Apple's...

I was planning on building a new box soon.. might have to pick one of these up. ;)

For you guys in the UK, you can pick one up now from Amazon UK. :censored2:

No, you wouldn't expect hardware RAID for that. Hardware RAID cards cost £100s. ICHx-R is not hardware RAID, it's just softRAID configured at the BIOS level, same as all the SiI, JMicron, etc chips we've seen in the past but with better performance.

Still, I paid £35 for my P35C-DS3R. I got it cheap, open-boxed, but I still don't see what this board offers that would make it worth that much.

Yeah, its about time they started throwing EFI in mobos. Hopefully the EFI guys will figure out a way to flash the EFI on these mobos with Apple's...

I was planning on building a new box soon.. might have to pick one of these up. ;)

For you guys in the UK, you can pick one up now from Amazon UK. ;)

That is obviously not the board version with EFI. Since EFI version is to be release in february... I don't think it will work ootB but as we know: Netkas is the one in the know of Apple's EFI secrets...

due out at the same time as Vista 64bit sp1, so when sp1 hits the floor , this motherboard should be launched, they are waiting for M$ to release it..

Good point. No sense in releasing hardware if there's no software to go with it.

I'm curious as to where the UEFI video cards are. Surely we'll need those too for the move to EFI.

no you wont, there is a chip also in there that will translate old bios hardware to efi , so that EFI understands it and forwards it to the os, but be carefull on what board you buy, some will have it some wont... , i dont know about the msi board , but we will just have to wait and see, The system i am building will test it out,

q6600 , Msi EFI board, 2gb ram, ati1900gt or 7800gt, i have both..