MacWorld 08: There's Something in the Air

Takuro

51 posts in this topic

It's that time of year again. Just days before Steve Jobs himself appears for his annual keynote, the San Francisco Moscone Center is quietly transformed overnight. Black curtains shroud giant billboards in a ritualistic fashion of secrecy. A single teaser poster is hung for all to see, hinting at the mysterious nature of the products to be unveiled in the next few rumor-ridden days.

In annual tradition, here is this year's teaser poster:

somethingos1.jpg

Judging by Apple's careful selection of words, there's only one thing that comes to mind: Wireless technology. Maybe's it's a 3G iPhone *loug cough.* Could it signal a new sub-notebook that acts as a wireless hub to several peripherals, including external optical drives? Could it signal a new Airport model? Something related to the next generation of Apple TV? Perhaps it's just a catchy slogan with no real weight behind it. Only time will tell. For now, there is definitely something unmistakable in the air: Rumors. And lots of them. *cough*iPhone*cough*

I feel something coming that no one has even considered. And it's gonna be something big wirelessly. I mean yea, Jobs is probably gonna have something we've mentioned here. But then he's just gonna bust out with something completely unexpected and badass.

Or it's just my imagination running wild before MacWorld and the slogan has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Considering the 3G iPhone would mostly be a European thing, I still have my reservations about believing that this poster is making a reference to it. I'd have to agree with you, bedlight. There's a good chance we'll see something that nobody saw coming.

If the Mac Pro updates weren't considered important enough to be among the key highlights of MacWorld, I think it gives us some general idea about the relative magnitude underlying the announcements that will be made Jan 14th. The Mac Pro's specification bump was just the tip of the iceberg. On one hand, it's a little disappointing because now a major Mac Pro redesign is pretty much knocked off the guess list. On the other hand, it does open up room for lots of potentially awesome stuff.

I love this time of the year. Apple fans imagine products that defy nature itself (I'm still laughing about the 9" 1280x800 tablet screen), Apple trickles out meaningless things like this, the hype and speculation reaches levels that no human operated company could possibly achieve, and the product that people are all envisioning is announced in a much different form factor than all the rumors and obscure patents made it out to be; the actual product has got less than half of the originally anticipated features, and only half of the features it has are implemented properly. :D

Myself, I mostly ignore the {censored} and just wait for the real deal keynote. ;)

We are desperately overdue for a new MacBook line.

I still have my first Powerbook 100 though not used.

I'm waiting in breathless anticipation.

Overdue MacBook line?

It was totally redesigned in 2006... (not to mention updated in November)

Welcome to the Board!

I don't think this year's Macworld can beat last year's. With the iPhone they entered a whole new market. I don't think they can (or should) do that again this year. It's better not to lose too much focus.

I am afraid some will have their hopes up too high..

Judging by Apple's careful selection of words, there's only one thing that comes to mind: Wireless technology. Maybe's it's a 3G iPhone *loug cough.* Could it signal a new sub-notebook that acts as a wireless hub to several peripherals, including external optical drives? Could it signal a new Airport model? Something related to the next generation of Apple TV?

Mmmm, no. It's probably the new iPlane

It's sleek, black anodized aluminum, and uses your very own AirPort Extreme for navigation.

Duh.

The wireless iPod/iPhone syncing would be big, but not big enough to base the whole convention around. I'd be super pissed if that was the biggest thing in the Stevenote.

Watch it be the MacBook Nano. Watch. And a new AppleTV, new Displays, and new MBP's. I'm putting my bets on all of those.

And vini, last year's posters said: The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007.

And vini, last year's posters said: The first 30 years were just the beginning. Welcome to 2007.

This basically meant that for 30 years, Apple was officially only in the computer business. Following that MacWorld, "Apple Computer Inc." became "Apple Inc.," signaling its shift in focus to home entertainment and the cellphone industry.

So based on that, I believe that this year's word choice does hold weight, even if it's not as big an announcement as last year's. And probably like last year, nobody will decipher the meaning prior to the Stevenote.

New mac laptops are probably going to be released.

That's almost a given. For the past 6 months we've heard that two will be released, a tablet and a small (half the size of regular laptops) with solid state HD's similar to the new Asus shown at CES. Some people are already nick naming it the Mac Mini Laptop :P Whatever they come out with I'm sure it will be cool.

Wireless iPod/iPhone syncing? That'd fit into the iTunes update...

Media syncing would last forever for some people, however, it is a good idea.

Also I saw wireless charging in a forum somewhere... That would be... No words... cool.