Graffiti

Soündless

should graffiti be legal?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. should graffiti be legal?

• yes
    • no

161 posts in this topic

you know, today after school i was enjoying the 68 degree january weather by "bustin a few tags" with my "crew". i decided to go for the jesus spot, 2 stories up on an abandoned building. i climbed it, and through the window i see a janitor, he yells at me, calls the cops and we run. i just realized that most of it is not just the art aspect, but the rush of doing illegal stuff. i change my vote to not legal

@Solaar: That 'legal wall' is a very clever and smart aproach to solving graffiti issues. Also, that flickr gallery is amazing.

you know, today after school i was enjoying the 68 degree january weather by "bustin a few tags" with my "crew". i decided to go for the jesus spot, 2 stories up on an abandoned building. i climbed it, and through the window i see a janitor, he yells at me, calls the cops and we run. i just realized that most of it is not just the art aspect, but the rush of doing illegal stuff. i change my vote to not legal

Smoke the reefer, you don't get much of a rush but it's a lot of fun!

Only digital graffiti should be legal like from GRL - that stuff is sick!

If you own the property or they allow you then its fine. The majority of graffiti is symbolism for gangs, so if it wasn't for that it would actually be a pretty neat art.

• 4 weeks later...

if it was legal many good sprayers would lose their interest.

grafitti is like pissing in public. if the others like it, there´s no reason to do it.

but yes, it´s a kind of art and it really makes many places in this world more beautiful.

• 1 month later...

I've read through most of what I could, but 7 pages is a lot and I don't feel like going through it just to make a reply. A lot of it I just couldn't believe that Soundless was serious, and thats why I had to respond.

I hate all the {censored} about being expressive and etc. About how the people are being oppressed and they need to do graffiti to express themselves. That is such bull. They need to just suck up their problems and stop using that as their excuse to ;) stuff up.

Going around to property that isn't yours, even if the "art" does look good, is just plain out wrong. You don't :) with other peoples' property.

I do like some graffiti, definitely. The ones that look cool etc. But you can't go around to the artists and tell them to make something look good instead of it being trashy gang tags. They will do what they want. There is no discerning between good and bad graffiti.

My old school got tagged from a gang every so often, and it was really disgusting. The CA school system already has a :censored2: ed up budget, and having to clean up the graffiti is just wasting money, and it's honestly annoying to have them pressure washing the walls every month.

If I had a business that I paid money for, or for that matter any property to own, I would be royally pissed if people vandalized my stuff. It's not theirs to :censored2: with, even if they think they are beautifying it.

The part in the first two pages or so, about the trains, and how Soundless believes it's ok because they're expressing themselves. That's just an excuse to :censored2: stuff up. Etching the glass, writing on the benches, destroying the property is not expressing anything. Maybe it's expressing their immaturity, and that they believe they are so oppressed and they need to be felt sorry for. It is not a way to express anything, and it's not art. It's just vandalism.

Obviously I don't tag anything and I don't go around doing that stuff. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. I believe the people who go tagging have nothing better to do in their lives. Generally it's the minorities who are doing the graffiti. Generally, they are going to fail in life. They don't care about school, they don't care about anything except for their expression and freedom and happiness. They have to learn how to suck up their problems and get somewhere in life.

People might say that I'm being racist that the minorities are always failing out of school, but it is definitely true. I'm not saying the same for Soundless just because he goes tagging, and I'm not saying that he's a minority. I'm just saying that generally the people who do graffiti are part of the minority. The minority by where I live. Compton is about an hour from me, and the schools their are most definitely not as nice as the schools where I live. The area is filled with tags. In addition, for most of the schools in the area, 80% of the students drop out by senior year in HS. They need to do something with their lives instead of "expressing themselves."

The example about Bill Gates making $20 grand by 14 is one of those rare cases where people get lucky. Not everybody will make 20 thousand in high school, and definitely not people who go around tagging and doing nothing else. You don't get money just from being different and being expressive.

Soundless, that's too bad that you had to get bored with your money. You were a lot better to the community sitting in front of your screen than "expressing" yourself on business walls.

Sorry, I'm sure a lot of this is just a rant, but it's how I feel.

Obviously I don't tag anything and I don't go around doing that stuff. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood. I believe the people who go tagging have nothing better to do in their lives. Generally it's the minorities who are doing the graffiti. Generally, they are going to fail in life. They don't care about school, they don't care about anything except for their expression and freedom and happiness. They have to learn how to suck up their problems and get somewhere in life.

People might say that I'm being racist that the minorities are always failing out of school, but it is definitely true. I'm not saying the same for Soundless just because he goes tagging, and I'm not saying that he's a minority. I'm just saying that generally the people who do graffiti are part of the minority. The minority by where I live. Compton is about an hour from me, and the schools their are most definitely not as nice as the schools where I live. The area is filled with tags. In addition, for most of the schools in the area, 80% of the students drop out by senior year in HS. They need to do something with their lives instead of "expressing themselves."

There's a difference between problems and expression. Quite a big one.

You don't get money just from being different and being expressive.

Actually you can. Artists make all their money from being different and presenting things in a different way.

There's a difference between problems and expression. Quite a big one.

Actually you can. Artists make all their money from being different and presenting things in a different way.

I don't believe that all graffiti is bad. But the majority is. If it were purely an art form, done in a place meant for it, I would agree with it, but then that totally kills the entire idea of graffiti in the first place.

I believe the people that tag places use their problems as their excuse to do it. They express their problems through graffiti. That's what I get from Soundless at least.

If they really want to be different, I believe they should break away from the gangs and from the graffiti and do something real with their life. It's nearly impossible, though, because of the situation most of them are in. It's hard to say what I'm trying to say, and I keep going onto run-on sentences that don't seem to make much sense....

The majority of the people who do graffiti cannot or will not apply themselves enough to make money as an artist. Making money as an artist is either make or break. 

It's a ballsy move to base your entire life off of art and expect to be success

ul.

I think I have nice decision for "Graffity problem"...

I suppose there should me some area in every city where people can do graffity... There even could be some competitions between people who do graffity. For example winner's piece of art stays at the wall for 3 years.. In some time the art is erased and there is a place for another pics. :D

In other areas graffity should be illegal. I think it is fair. :wacko:

I don't believe that all graffiti is bad. But the majority is. If it were purely an art form, done in a place meant for it, I would agree with it, but then that totally kills the entire idea of graffiti in the first place.

I believe the people that tag places use their problems as their excuse to do it. They express their problems through graffiti. That's what I get from Soundless at least.

If they really want to be different, I believe they should break away from the gangs and from the graffiti and do something real with their life. It's nearly impossible, though, because of the situation most of them are in. It's hard to say what I'm trying to say, and I keep going onto run-on sentences that don't seem to make much sense....

The majority of the people who do graffiti cannot or will not apply themselves enough to make money as an artist. Making money as an artist is either make or break. 

It's a ballsy move to base your entire life off of art and expect to be success

ul.

Depends where you go. Like in the US, yea alot of it is bad, but there are a number of gems. But in other countries (namely in Europe cause I've never been to another continent) there is some lots of great graffiti. My cousin sent me pictures from England of some, they were great. And there was alot of them so you know that means there's alot of great pieces. Or from what I remember when I went to France and Poland, hardly any gang tags. I don't know about France but I know Poland got a bunch of gangs (Polish Knights FTW!!!), and they don't tag up their name or anything. I mean they sign it, but that's about it.

I get what you mean by 'They express their problems through graffiti.' but you can't base all graffiti on people that have problems.

Most of them actually do end up doing something. Being a minority and having lots of friends like that, alot of them started tagging and now, even with lack of money and proper equipment, some of them are musicians, tattoo artists, one of them even got a scholarship for graphic design. So you can't say that they never end up doing anything in life, because they do. It doesn't just happen to minorities either. All you white kids join your own little gangs to try and fit in when your growing up, then eventually you grow out of it, become you and do something. Stop being racist and blaming it all on minorities.

That last part, I don't agree with the first part, but it's true that it is pretty ballsy to do that.

And Ace, you phail. You spelled graffiti wrong.

Generally it's the minorities who are doing the graffiti. Generally, they are going to fail in life. They don't care about school, they don't care about anything except for their expression and freedom and happiness. They have to learn how to suck up their problems and get somewhere in life.

They aren't doing the graffiti because they're minorities. I see what you're saying but who are you to tell them to do something with their lives? From your sig: "Live and let live'.

Alright alright.

I wasn't having a really good day yesterday so small things really pissed me off.

To make things more or less clear, I meant that... the majority of minorities are the ones who will be doing graffiti. That's a generalization.

I also don't think all graffiti is bad. I do like the stuff that does actually look good and artistic. For the ones that just scrawl a gang name on a wall or some words into a seat, I don't like that.

they aren't doing the graffiti because they're minorities. I see what you're saying but who are you to tell them to do something with their lives? From your sig: "Live and let live'.

I also believe it's wrong to do stuff like that to other peoples' property. The phrase live and let live can only go a certain distance before it can be taken out of hand.

I don't know what I was trying to say with the school {censored} and etc etc. They can do whatever they want with their lives.

All you white kids ...
and
Stop being racist and blaming it all on minorities.

I'm technically a minority too. Mexican ftw. except only half ;[ I wasn't really being racist, but making a generalization like above. Most of the people doing graffiti are part of the minority. Am I wrong?

You made it sound like you were white. My bad.

And don't try to turn it around on me. That's not a racist comment. If I said cracker or honkey, that'd be a different story.

I know you said a few times that you don't think all graffiti is bad, which I agree with if you couldn't tell. I was just saying that the majority of it in the US is bad, but if your counting foreign countries too, then you can't say the majority is. That's just not true.

You made it sound like you were white. My bad.

And don't try to turn it around on me. That's not a racist comment. If I said cracker or honkey, that'd be a different story.

I know you said a few times that you don't think all graffiti is bad, which I agree with if you couldn't tell. I was just saying that the majority of it in the US is bad, but if your counting foreign countries too, then you can't say the majority is. That's just not true.

I wasn't trying to turn it against you at all. It was more of a playful tone. Don't worry about it.

I'm generally just considering the US, because that's the only place I've lived and experienced. Naive or not, sorry.

So anyway, we're pretty much on the same page on this issue. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
That's not racist, that's stereotypical. Both of you. ^

There aren't as many 'hooligans' where I live, unless you go to the outskirts of San Francisco, and maybe the warehouse buildings near the highway. But really, it isn't an artform. Do you think the people who painted the offensive words on the back of the seats wanted to make it look prettier? No.

ok...not only "hooligans" do graffiti. and its not a race or gender or even an age thing. if its the graffiti that looks good other than just a word or a name then thats fine because it does look good yea i get if someone writes f@&* of s@&* or somethin like that then thats messed up but if its an accuall design then thats fine. yea gangs do it to but white an black people di it. there are even people who do it in the middle of the city i mean have you ever seen the pit at veinice beach?!?! really now theres nothing wrong with graffiti if its being used as art instead of jus random cuss words or a name. an if its on like the back of a building or somethin then its fine and it should be legal.

post-213852-1208019848_thumb.jpg this is art

{censored} written words or swears are just plain childish

and for people to write things over artwork such as this then they need to go back to preschool.

i dont know how some of you see this kind of art as offensive but to me it is very artistic and there are not many who have a talent like this

"Should graffiti be legal?"

This is one of the most ridiculous questions I've ever heard and could be interpreted so many different ways. I'll tackle some here...

Should it be legal for anyone to spray graffiti over MY property? Hell NO. I don't care how "creative" it is, if no-one has specifically given you permission, then it's IMMORAL and should therefore be ILLEGAL (which is unfortunately not an ethos followed by the government -- see the war on drugs) to paint your {censored} on the side of my house or my place of business.

Should it be illegal to spray graffiti at all? Again, hell NO. The idea that an arbitrary group of individuals with guns (aka. the government) are allowed to tell me how I can live my life or what I can do with my property is astoundingly retarded.

But is it art? - a question that has been thrown around a lot; and the answer in ALL cases is yes. "Art" is a completely synthetic term. The very definition of the word "art" (the seemingly most widely-accepted definition, "skill in conducting any human activity") makes the question "is it art?" a NON question. It is nothing but a spark for pretentious debate. ANYTHING can be art. I hate art galleries and museums (I think they're the most boring places in the world) as much as I hate these stupid graffiti slogans on the side of buildings; but I'll be damned if anyone is going to say people can't do this to their own property.