Graffiti

Soündless

should graffiti be legal?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. should graffiti be legal?

• yes
    • no

161 posts in this topic

no, im steryotyping the american dream. 1. why not, on the beach, with a party room2 vw bus3. surfshop4. i could manage that5. ppl still like surfurs

yeah... but didn't your uncle pay for it?
yeah, he did actually. all of my expensive {censored} is from him. my mom has a broken 1999 dell laptop, and a 400mhz desktop. we have a 20 inch tv thats 2 feet deep, a toyota bought used from enterprize and a farmhouse in indiana

My work is between those boundaries. I barely ever go into Hamilton and when I do its in the industrial area around the Skyway bridge.

As to London I am all over the city twice a week and I barely see anything.

Like I said, I'm not saying there isn't anything, I was just surprised someone saying Southern Ontario was notorious for it.

It sure isn't like what I've seen in cities like Detroit or New York. (And the majority of grafitti is in poorer areas there.)

(BTW, in the last 3 months I've been to almost every school in London so I have seen the city. :P )

I said in Canada, dude. B.C., around/in Vancity has some nice pieces, but Southern Ontario is where all the magic happens.

This sentence contradicts itself on so many levels O_o I'm still not sure what you're trying to say here. "I don't think graffiti should be legal, but allowing it is ignorant." WTF?

Oh shoot, I forgot to use the word "not" in that sentence, since condone is such a fitting word. Thanks grammar bot! Don't know where I'd be in this world without you!

Oh shoot, I forgot to use the word "not" in that sentence, since condone is such a fitting word. Thanks grammar bot! Don't know where I'd be in this world without you!

without that insignificant little "not", your sentence made ABOSLUTELY NO SENSE!!!1!!!1!!!!!

so dont go calling him a grammar bot.

(spelling error intended, safari told me immediately)

soundless: that is the most retarded life I have ever heard of. You are going to enjoy it until you are 30 and realize that it is a sh1tty life, and oops, you have just wasted your chance to go to college. You will have no chance to move up in the world, and will be looked on as a total failure by nearly everyone you see.

I am sorry, but I am going to take every bit of intelligence and will power I have, and go to the best college I can possibly get into, and then enjoy a life where I will have intellectual stimulation, money, etc.

Maybe girls like surfer dudes, but not for permanent relationships. You do know that girls are smart enough to pick a guy that can provide for them? i.e. not surfer dudes.

I hope you mature enough to figure out that you are being dumb before its too late.

are you saying that you're poor? because that is not being poor

1. you have a car

2. you have a TV

3. you have a computer

you get my drift

im not saying im poor, im deffinately better off then most people out there, not better off then most ppl at lab (our school)

and ...

1. used toyota and jeep < your volkswagen and audi

2. tube tv < your 32"

3.400mhz < your 1.2ghz tower

soundless: that is the most retarded life I have ever heard of. You are going to enjoy it until you are 30 and realize that it is a sh1tty life, and oops, you have just wasted your chance to go to college. You will have no chance to move up in the world, and will be looked on as a total failure by nearly everyone you see.

I am sorry, but I am going to take every bit of intelligence and will power I have, and go to the best college I can possibly get into, and then enjoy a life where I will have intellectual stimulation, money, etc.

Maybe girls like surfer dudes, but not for permanent relationships. You do know that girls are smart enough to pick a guy that can provide for them? i.e. not surfer dudes.

I hope you mature enough to figure out that you are being dumb before its too late.

i forgot to add that i do intend to go to college. my dads current employer takes 80% off any U.S. college, so minimum wage could cover the remaining fees of a descent college.

im not saying im poor, im deffinately better off then most people out there, not better off then most ppl at lab (our school)

i forgot to add that i do intend to go to college. my dads current employer takes 80% off any U.S. college, so minimum wage could cover the remaining fees of a descent college.

Ok, a little off topic here...

But you have to pay for College?? :)

yes, the united states is behind everyone else and doesn't value our educations, the half assd school systems make ppl like me, who beautify their country, their poorly governed country

yes, the united states is behind everyone else and doesn't value our educations,

He's from the UK and is getting the terms college and university confused, which in the states are almost synonymous but there are very different in meaning. Sure the US education system is starting to lag behind other developed countries (we're ranked ~20th in world now I think?) but it's not nearly as bad as you say it is. And most countries don't pay for the 'college' as we know it in the US, the UK sure doesn't. As far as I know, their college is the equivalent of our community college and their university is the equivalent of our university/college.

the half assd school systems make ppl like me

Nope, you made you.

who beautify their country

Vandalize.

their poorly governed country

I agree with you here, but it's still no excuse to vandalize private property. Ron Paul 2008!

i have a 1.2ghz tower? since when?

Jeeps kick ass

that dell of your moms

He's from the UK and is getting the terms college and university confused, which in the states are almost synonymous but there are very different in meaning. Sure the US education system is starting to lag behind other developed countries (we're ranked ~20th in world now I think?) but it's not nearly as bad as you say it is And most countries don't pay for the 'college' as we know it in the US, the UK sure doesn't. As far as I know, their college is the equivalent of our community college and their university is the equivalent of our university/college.

Nope, you made you.

Vandalize.

I agree with you here, but it's still no excuse to vandalize private property. Ron Paul 2008!

as long as he keep the separation of church and state im cool

about our school system:

It doesn't exactly encourage intellect. In fact, if you are of above average intelligence, you are pretty much ignored. I haven't done homework for math or physics in months, and I have A's in both. The teachers aren't happy.....

However, this is no excuse for being lazy and deciding not to learn.

Ron Paul's views on global warming are too innacurate for me to like him.

Though separation of church and state is vitally important....

It doesn't exactly encourage intellect. In fact, if you are of above average intelligence, you are pretty much ignored. I haven't done homework for math or physics in months, and I have A's in both. The teachers aren't happy.....

Yeah, you're absolutely right. The education here focuses on getting people who are below the bar above it, and that's it. There needs to be less focus on these stupid standardized tests, and more focus on learning in general.

Ron Paul's views on global warming are too innacurate for me to like him.

I can see why you'd say that, but at this point my concerns for the American economy are greater than any other issue present in the 2008 election. Once we're out of debt, I'd definitely support a pro-environment candidate who would be dedicated to making changes.

Though separation of church and state is vitally important....

Indeed it is. I've heard that it's not even in the actually constitution, but adapted from some letter Thomas Jefferson wrote which is kind of silly. I believe in sticking to the constitution, but in this one case I'm glad we did something different.

What? I wasn't policing your grammar, I just had no idea what you were saying!

I voted no but I don't see why cities can't encourage graff in some public spaces, say the outside of commuter trains and some of the more mundane public works structures. try to think of writers as muralists with spraypaint instead of brushes. I don't see much of a difference.

on the other hand, it is important that some graffiti be marginalized into illegality. because it is created without permission in an unregulated forum, it gives artists an important anonymous cloak to say and create art that challenges social institutions. Banksy has a name but where his identity known he would be punished by the officers of the police state he criticizes. In Mexico where journalists are frequently subject to forced disappearances and ought right murder along with rights activists and political opponents, artists use graffiti because publishing your work could target you for harassment or death.

As for those of you who view graffiti as nothing but rubbish; I hope you drown your sterile artless void of a life.

As for those of you who view graffiti as nothing but rubbish; I hope you drown your sterile artless void of a life.

If someone wants to live a sterile artless life they are just as much entitled as you not to.

My issue is a free for all system just never works but the alternative to be regulated will led to just as many problems and resentment.

Frankly I want smaller government, and less regulation, not more.

You do know that if you live in California (which I'm guessing so because of the surfing and the skating and the beach bus) for at least a year, you can get free college. But it doesn't count if you live in a {censored} bus. I'm sorry but your dream life is {censored} retarded. I agree with everyone else here. Living on minimum wage {censored} blows. I know, I tryed it. Big argument with the parents, all that, in the end, moved back in with them. Granted that I lived in an apartment with my best friend so I had to pay rent, but even that little bit of money I spent on rent wouldn't have done {censored}. I used to be all anti-establishment and 'anarchy forever man' like you, but I grew out of it, because I smartened up. I'm hoping you will too. Your only 15, I'm 17. Not much older, but alot more mature. I hope you find your place. Once you do that, you'll be up to par with most of us here. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I'm just saying that I know your mindset, more or less.

Ron Paul 2008!
Vote Ron Paul! I'm pulling for him and Kucinich. They are the only good and revolutionary-eqse candidates.

as long as he keep the separation of church and state im cool
Your not even old enough to vote, does it really matter?

Frankly I want smaller government, and less regulation, not more.
I can't agree with you more on that.

I voted no but I don't see why cities can't encourage graff in some public spaces, say the outside of commuter trains and some of the more mundane public works structures. try to think of writers as muralists with spraypaint instead of brushes. I don't see much of a difference.
Yes, except that muralists are paid proffessionals and graffiti artists aren't.
Art doesn't have to be destroying property. In fact, it's better when it isn't. If everyone who does graffiti is so great and artsy, why don't they all get jobs as muralists or some other type of artist? Why do they have to defame public property? What does that add to the art? It adds nothing, and it's stupid. A muralist is one thing - the city hires them and pays them money to create works of art that are pleasing and and tasteful, not to write their name in "superz sweet lettringz guyz."
You do know that if you live in California (which I'm guessing so because of the surfing and the skating and the beach bus) for at least a year, you can get free college. But it doesn't count if you live in a {censored} bus. I'm sorry but your dream life is {censored} retarded. I agree with everyone else here. Living on minimum wage {censored} blows. I know, I tryed it. Big argument with the parents, all that, in the end, moved back in with them. Granted that I lived in an apartment with my best friend so I had to pay rent, but even that little bit of money I spent on rent wouldn't have done {censored}. I used to be all anti-establishment and 'anarchy forever man' like you, but I grew out of it, because I smartened up. I'm hoping you will too. Your only 15, I'm 17. Not much older, but alot more mature. I hope you find your place. Once you do that, you'll be up to par with most of us here. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I'm just saying that I know your mindset, more or less.
He's a pampered rich kid. He thinks that because he sees it on TV and it looks cool that it'll work for him :D

Soundless and other supporters, I was never a person to hold a grudge against you or your opinions. I am open to them, and have helped you earlier, but please stfu because the odds of logic are against you. Here is my official logic.

Ok, lets start from the dictionary and define graffiti:

graffiti |grəˈfētē|

plural noun ( sing. -to |-tō|) [treated as sing. or pl. ]

writing or drawings scribbled, scratched, or sprayed illicitly on a wall or other surface in a public place: the walls were covered with graffiti | [as adj. ] a graffiti artist.

Now lets define the important word here, illicit:

illicit |i(l)ˈlisit|

adjective

forbidden by law, rules, or custom : illicit drugs | illicit sex.

Now, as you can see, in an educated manner this is considered illegal and forbidden. Now let us see what art is.

Definition of art:

art 1 |ärt|

noun

1 the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power : the art of the Renaissance | great art is concerned with moral imperfections | she studied art in Paris.

As you read, art is to be appreciated for its beauty. Now I will ask a few questions of comparison:

1. Which looks better:

[A] http://purecontemporary.blogs.com/photos/u...creen_girls.gif

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview...affiti_wall.jpg

If I am in all my faculties [A] looks better.

Now, how does this help our community. I as you know live in Ridgewood, NY which is a 40 min drive to the city. At least here people are a little comer. But, let us get back to the question, how? Whenever i go to use the Subway the trains are completely tagged along with the walls and other thing. One of them had the "f-word" tagged on it. I saw a little child holding his mother's hand (this is true, 100%) and asking what that word on the wall meant while perfectly pronouncing it. The mother gave the bad word story and my heart broke on the spot. Why should the next generation be submit to these stupidities. I really do not want to see kids grow like this. Just my opinion...

MasterofComputers

Your not even old enough to vote, does it really matter?

i dont want to be forced to learn the lies in school

He lives in the nation's ghetto: Illinois

no, the nations {censored} hole

Yes, except that muralists are paid proffessionals and graffiti artists aren't."He's a pampered rich kid. He thinks that because he sees it on TV and it looks cool that it'll work for him :(

oh, i beg to differ on the paid professionals part.

i dont consider myself pampered compared to some people out there, sure my parents bring in about 130,000 a year, we are rich. but they dont live to serve me. the kids at my school get driven to school in limos and audis, i ride the train.

and what tv show documents "street art"? id love to watch it.