Graffiti

Soündless

should graffiti be legal?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. should graffiti be legal?

• yes
    • no

161 posts in this topic

without that insignificant little "not", your sentence made ABOSLUTELY NO SENSE!!!1!!!1!!!!!

so dont go calling him a grammar bot.

(spelling error intended, safari told me immediately)

Thank you

captainobvious.jpg

PS. Grammar and Spelling aren't the same thing.

soundless: that is the most retarded life I have ever heard of. You are going to enjoy it until you are 30 and realize that it is a sh1tty life, and oops, you have just wasted your chance to go to college. You will have no chance to move up in the world, and will be looked on as a total failure by nearly everyone you see.

I am sorry, but I am going to take every bit of intelligence and will power I have, and go to the best college I can possibly get into, and then enjoy a life where I will have intellectual stimulation, money, etc.

Maybe girls like surfer dudes, but not for permanent relationships. You do know that girls are smart enough to pick a guy that can provide for them? i.e. not surfer dudes.

I hope you mature enough to figure out that you are being dumb before its too late.

Wow, are we still in the middle of the 20th century?

smh @ you thinking that college is a sure way of money. I hate people who try to force the "go to college and be successful" {censored} down kid's throats. Please.

Look at Bill Gates -- he launched a company when he was 14 and made $20,000 his first year. Or how about God-all-mighty Steve Jobs? He dropped out of college after 1 semester. These guys are billionaires.

Creative people who are expressive, imo, are more likely to be "successful" in life. "Success" doesn't always mean wealth, by the way.

Oh, and have fun with your wife that looks to you for your mone... errr... provision.

i dont want to be forced to learn the lies in school
It's not like you have {censored} to say about it. Your gonna be learning it anyways, no matter who's in office. Your 15, no one listens to you. Your a teenager. If you really want to question the government and all that {censored}, then find revolutionaries that are doing the same thing. They'll teach you all you should know. That's how I got taught. Only I'm not anti-anything. I just question their actions.

Alright so I'm anti-Patriot Act, but who isn't?

A looks great, I would think about hanging that on my wall. But B has a zing to it. If you pick apart some of it, it isn't COMPLETELY terrible. It could even be nice looking if it weren't for a couple parts. Maybe it's just me and the way I see art. And yes, I'm calling it art even though it doesn't go by your definition. My definition has always been any expression from one or more people that invokes their emotion and the emotion of others.

Bedlight, at least that is something I can understand. I am not being a hypocrite in any way, but I can understand how maybe a small part of that scribbled {censored} on the wall may look good. When I talk about graffiti it is in general, just a bunch of scribbled {censored} on a wall by many people that in the end looks horrible. Also, that was not my definition. I got it from the oxford dict.

PS. Grammar and Spelling aren't the same thing.

scottangrave_small.jpg

Wow, are we still in the middle of the 20th century?

smh @ you thinking that college is a sure way of money. I hate people who try to force the "go to college and be successful" {censored} down kid's throats. Please.

Look at Bill Gates -- he launched a company when he was 14 and made $20,000 his first year. Or how about God-all-mighty Steve Jobs? He dropped out of college after 1 semester. These guys are billionaires.

Creative people who are expressive, imo, are more likely to be "successful" in life. "Success" doesn't always mean wealth, by the way.

Oh, and have fun with your wife that looks to you for your mone... errr... provision.

If you are a genius, then you are right, formal education is unnecessary. They can educate themselves. However, for the vast majority of the population, college is the way to money:

Adult Education snapshot.

Level of Education Average Individual Income

per year

No high school diploma $20110

High school graduate $28307

(28% higher than a person without a diploma)

Associate's Degree $36392

Bachelor's Degree $50056

Master's Degree $63220

(54 % more than a High School graduate)

Source: US Census Bureau 1998 Data

Also, you should of course find a woman that isn't just after your money. However, it is going to be a lot easier to do so if the woman knows that you can support her and kids...

If you are a genius, then you are right, formal education is unnecessary. They can educate themselves. However, for the vast majority of the population, college is the way to money:

Also, you should of course find a woman that isn't just after your money. However, it is going to be a lot easier to do so if the woman knows that you can support her and kids...

You don't even have to be a genius. In fact, it's easier these days to be successful. We have access to 1.3 Billion potential customers on the internet. You just need to be creative and smart enough to exploit this potential. School doesn't necessarily make you smarter; it just fills you with information based upon that particular professor's opinions and some lousy, out of date curriculum.

Soundless seems to be creative in one way, albeit maybe not ideal, but maybe he's creative in other ways, too. We don't know him, and you can't stereo-type him off of what he does in his spare time. I think it's wrong to tell him that he'll be a loser if he doesn't go to school before he's 30. Times have changed.

By the way, I'm willing to bet that that data you've posted doesn't apply to today -- 10 years is quite a long time in any industry. Going to school to succeed is the old school mentality. Ideally you'd goto school for the education, but in reality you're only going for the degree or diploma (and perhaps a good time :)). Why? Because you need that flashy diploma to show the big companies that you're semi-worthy of working your ass off for them. What's the point, though? Jobs aren't guaranteed, and generally, if you're working for someone, it's a dead-end job regardless if you're making $20 an hour, or $4000 a week.

It's a well known fact that you learn more about a profession by experience than in class. And since we all have access to the internet, we have an endless supply of information at our fingertips -- for free. So, you can cut school out of the equation. When you're working for yourself, you do not need a diploma, degree, or that University of Harvard sticker on your bumper.

I don't discourage going to school, but I acknowledge that school is an option, not a necessity.

no, the nations {censored} hole

i dont consider myself pampered compared to some people out there, sure my parents bring in about 130,000 a year, we are rich. but they dont live to serve me. the kids at my school get driven to school in limos and audis, i ride the train.

and what tv show documents "street art"? id love to watch it.

It was a joke but whatever.

Soundless, that doesn't prove anything. My parents make way more than that but I drive to school in a 5 year old GMC Yukon.

Also, that was not my definition. I got it from the oxford dict.
Ah, my bad then.

School doesn't necessarily make you smarter; it just fills you with information based upon that particular professor's opinions and some lousy, out of date curriculum.
I can agree with that. That's why I never go with what a teacher says. Except my music teacher. And my video editing teacher. You can't really use their opinions towards any of the work there. And the curriculum isn't old there. but all my other classes, most definitely. I actually failed history last year cause I didn't agree with my teacher and her thoughts.

Art doesn't have to be destroying property. In fact, it's better when it isn't... Why do they have to defame public property? What does that add to the art? It adds nothing, and it's stupid. A muralist is one thing - the city hires them and pays them money to create works of art that are pleasing and and tasteful, not to write their name in "superz sweet lettringz guyz."

We seem to differ on definitions of pleasing and tasteful and because of that you will be hard pressed to accept the argument that graffiti artists are providing their artistic services for free to help cover what they see as a bleak, monochromatic urban sprawl. The lettering done by graffiti artists is a creative, permutative and colorful calligraphy, and those graffiti artists who look only to endlessly reproduce their own name often at the expense of others art are ostracized by the rest of the graffiti community. I understand how property owners feel when their shops and homes are continuously covered in coats of spraypaint. It is a problem for which I have no answers. However, in further support of the 'destruction' (i call it beautification) of public property, I give you a case study of the Berlin Wall. 25lg.JPG

The western side of the wall, much to the dismay of East Germany was covered in all sorts of graffiti, much of it with positivist messages of world peace and unity. Since it's construction, no one has had permission to write on it. The wall continues to be a site of interest for graffiti writers wishing to continue the traditions set by West Berliners and since the unification of the city, both sides are now covered with spraypaint. Has the Berlin Wall then been destroyed by all the artists who opposed it's existence and chose to defame it with a coat of paint?

Now, how does this help our community. I as you know live in Ridgewood, NY which is a 40 min drive to the city. At least here people are a little comer. But, let us get back to the question, how? Whenever i go to use the Subway the trains are completely tagged along with the walls and other thing. One of them had the "f-word" tagged on it. I saw a little child holding his mother's hand (this is true, 100%) and asking what that word on the wall meant while perfectly pronouncing it. The mother gave the bad word story and my heart broke on the spot. Why should the next generation be submit to these stupidities. I really do not want to see kids grow like this. Just my opinion...

Obscenity is another rather touchy subject. To say that it has no place in our society is a ridiculous act of self-censorship, but I agree that obscenity for the sake of itself and without some underlying message has no place on a public commuter train. As liberal a supporter of free speech as I am I can't support that kind of stupidity. But some people want to put a pair of pants on Michaelangelo's David and that kind of closed minded thought that seeks to obfuscate the truth of our world is just as stupid.

We seem to differ on definitions of pleasing and tasteful and because of that you will be hard pressed to accept the argument that graffiti artists are providing their artistic services for free to help cover what they see as a bleak, monochromatic urban sprawl.
Oh, how nice of them! So, who asked them to clean up this "urban sprawl," that may be small businesses, houses, public parks, or other prominent places? So, if I think that you look bleak aand ugly and dull, can I go up to you and paint on your face? If I think anything in the world looks like "sprawl" to me, then I should change it, right? Just because one single person or one single group has an opinion that some areas of town are "boring," that gives them the right to do whatever they want to the wall? Now that's a {censored}ed up world view.

The lettering done by graffiti artists is a creative, permutative and colorful calligraphy,
So it's fancy writing on a wall. Woop-dee-{censored}-doo.
and those graffiti artists who look only to endlessly reproduce their own name often at the expense of others art
Oh noes, somebody bez writin the wrong wurdz?!
are ostracized by the rest of the graffiti community.
How? Why would they follow any rules when they're already being broken?
I understand how property owners feel when their shops and homes are continuously covered in coats of spraypaint. It is a problem for which I have no answers.
Here you go! You've gotten to the heart of the problem. And how have you addressed it? By ignoring it :) So basically your philosophy is {censored} everyone else, it's all about memememe, and if I have an opinion that something doesn't lokot he way I like, then I should do whatever I want to change it - regardless of the effect on other people.
However, in further support of the 'destruction' (i call it beautification) of public property, I give you a case study of the Berlin Wall. 25lg.JPG

The western side of the wall, much to the dismay of East Germany was covered in all sorts of graffiti, much of it with positivist messages of world peace and unity. Since it's construction, no one has had permission to write on it.

What the hell? Seriously, what the hell? How can you even relate that?! Graffiti was put on the wall as a form of protest. Here's the problem - if someone divided your whole {censored} country in half with a huge ass wall, don't you think that you would do whatever you could to defame, protest, or do anything else tot he wall? This situation that you listed doesn't apply anywhere else in the world... So, you're saying, that in support of legalizing graffiti (or possibly just doing graffiti?), you list the Berlin Wall as an example. Ah, too bad none of the countries we live in have a bick {censored} wall separating our countries into two governments. Nice that you neglected that little tidbit ;)
The wall continues to be a site of interest for graffiti writers wishing to continue the traditions set by West Berliners and since the unification of the city, both sides are now covered with spraypaint. Has the Berlin Wall then been destroyed by all the artists who opposed it's existence and chose to defame it with a coat of paint?
No, but I fail to see how that applies in any other situation ever. Because, quite frankly, it doesn't :) Nice try, though.

Why would they follow any rules when they're already being broken?

The graffiti community is just like most others. They've got rules and a respect system. Only their rules are unwritten.

Sorry, but the idea of rules in the graffiti community is just utter BS, every graffiti practitioner I have spoken to is pissed off with some "other kind" of wall painter that doesn't do things "the right way". There is absolutely no "honour amongst thieves" with these guys.

In fact quite the opposite, the wars for domination of walls generally ends up in horrible messes as they continuously tag & overspray each others' work.

When the primary ethos is rebellion and self-aggrandisement, rules are the last thing anyone is going to accept.

Let me add to the berlin wall topic. That was a form of protest. Do you think those guys gave a :censored2: about making their art fancy? PSPHaxor is right, it was protest. Many people today are to uncivilized to even live properly in a society, they HAVE to modify something to their liking. Can't you just leave "good enough" as it already is. Nope, you have to be an idiot and risk getting arrested and put in jail through the middle of the night because of "your" opinion. I remember hearing that somewhere in South America they beat the {censored} out of someone who was doing graffiti on the wall with a bamboo stick 20x on his ass. That will teach you a lesson (even though I really do not support violence), not sitting somewhere in prison and paying a fine. I think that dude pisses himself whenever he sees the spray-paint.

There are also costs involved in vandalism. You need to pay for that paint, and where does it help you eventually. Does it help you get an education? No! It helps you make some poor guy have to repaint a part of his own building that he is still making payments on. My message here is simple; people get educated and get your life going properly. You do not want to end up on the news, or be as dumb as a doorknob. There is free will, so do whatever the hell you want to, but I hope that these words here can change someones life toward the better.

Sorry, but the idea of rules in the graffiti community is just utter BS, every graffiti practitioner I have spoken to is pissed off with some "other kind" of wall painter that doesn't do things "the right way". There is absolutely no "honour amongst thieves" with these guys.

In fact quite the opposite, the wars for domination of walls generally ends up in horrible messes as they continuously tag & overspray each others' work.

When the primary ethos is rebellion and self-aggrandisement, rules are the last thing anyone is going to accept.

If the work is good, then the honor system applies. As an artist of sorts, using that loosely, they have to respect the good work.

Maybe it's just a regional thing. The graffiti-ists I know around here use the honor system, as well as the domination system. Although the domination system is just between gangs and people that have no idea what they're doing with a spraypaint can.

I had no time to read all the replies so far, so I don't know if this has been brought up yet.

I would disagree to legalise it as a general concept which could sensibly concern only public property anyway - as the boundaries between private and public walls are not always obvious - but I'm definitely for providing otherwise bleak and depressing public spaces for graff artists under controlled conditions. This means, check their portfolios and credibility first before you let them get busy with their aerosols. That's exactly how it's done in the area I live in now. Although it may sort of defeat the purpose of 'keeping it real' in the eyes of the hardcore taggers it gives them at least an incentive to work without any time pressure and to deliver something more elaborate than just name tags. There's some really amazing stuff on those 'legal walls' in my area and people who are interested in the process can come and watch the artists perform.

btw I've also seen a lot of excellent graffiti in Paris, especially in the suburbs, some of it is simply breathtaking. Optical illusions, portraits, comic strips, urban scenes, some amazing stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vitostreet/se...57594055783921/

I would see it as a parallel to what the BBC had done years ago in 'defeating' the pirate radio stations. Instead of solely witch hunting and repressing them through legal action they opened 1Xtra, their own branch of 'pirate material', with music that only the pirates would play. That pulled a lot of listeners over to a legal way of listening to the latest underground stuff that's otherwise hard to find.

However, it seems like the reason why a lot of people who are against any form of legalisation is that they simply don't like the sub-culture graffiti is usually associated with. Graffiti may be appreciated only by a minority of people but I'm absolutely sure that those who hate it are also a minority in at least one area of what they like.