LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

The main advantage of having kexts in /Extra (or even in a separate boot partition) is that you can safely install any system update, your hacked kexts are never overwritten.

Yes, kexts from /Extra are loaded first, so even if a system update installs new AppleSMBIOS.kext, the system always uses the patched one from /Extra.

Problem is, that some kexts cannot be loaded from /Extra (like AppleHDA, RealtekR1000, AppleACPIPlatform etc.). I still don't understand exactly why, I cannot find any detailed info - just what is in this thread: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=139109

Support for /Extra/Extensions is not new in Chameleon 2.0, I think it first came with PC_EFI v8. This idea is also used in Boot-132 project: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=113288

I decided to load all kexts to S/L/E.

I works fine.

Later, when most of the issues related to /Extra will be sorted out i will reinstall.

However - since - OS X updates are not so frequent i do not think it is a great burden to re-run now and then the actual LS8vxx script.

I'm working here 10.5.7. For some reason AppleSMBIOS.kext didn't want to work for me from /Extra, is that normal or am I possibly doing something wrong? I'd really prefer to have that one in /Extra since I have overwritten some of the info inside it like serial number, etc..

Also, I put Realtek and ACPIP into /S/L/E. Things *SEEM* to be working. If anyone has a definitive list of what should not be in /Extra, that would be nice to know for sure.

Everything worked out fine. But is there a way knows yet, to get front audio port back to work on P35-DS4?

I "upgraded" from 10.5.5 to 10.5.7, which means I used ls8's install pack for an install to a new HDD. Then I migrated my data. Front audio worked in 10.5.5.

Thx anyways!

May 15 20:06:47 ans-mac-pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

May 15 20:06:47 ans-mac-pro kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::getCPU_PSSData - _PSS evaluation failed

May 15 20:06:54: --- last message repeated 3 times ---

May 15 20:06:54 ans-mac-pro kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 == fMikeyDriver" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-168.1.3/AppleHDA/AppleHDADriver.cpp" at line 1150 goto handler

How to deal with this problem?

EP35-DS3 10.5.7

nathandw: I am unable to make front audio panel working on P35-DS4. It works on my new machine with EP45-DQ6.

andyao: fresh install or update? DS3 may have different audio chip, I cannot test it.

LS8v17 will be released soon. Only system critical kexts will be installed to /Extra to make updates safe, other drivers (audio etc.) will be installed to /S/L/E.

Hi guyz. I-m having my usual troubles installing Leopard. This time I'm getting a very strange message. "mDNSresponder: Couldn't read user-specified local hostname/Computer name", alternating between those two when I try to boot with -v -x -f. Now this is a completely vanilla install from retail 10.5.4 combo updated to 10.5.7 done from my working iAtkos 5 based 10.5.6 installation on another partition. I have the ep45-dq6 mobo, and have been fiddling with LS8v16 components, first doing all default, then trying different combos, putting them in /extra or s/l/e both ... but nothing seems to work. Note that I havent been able to boot this drive once, so obviously i wasnt ever able to name the bloody install.

I read somewhere this is a bonjour-related problem, and my Realtek 1.8.1 kext is in s/l/e. Whats wrong here?? Do I need to edit some info.plist and name the computer before I may boot??

thanks,

m

mdnsresponder error: do you have owners enabled on your OSX86 partition?

I have never actually been able to boot up to the point where I even make myself an admin account, so how could I have enabled owners? Do I need to do this before I try to boot off of it?? Or you think the new partition is somehow owned by the old iAtkos 10.5.6 install since I installed it from there? ???

I'm so baffled... Its possible that by moving some kexts around that I contaminated the install with my scent as it were? SO how do I reset the ownership of the volume to nil so I can boot and setup my admin account?

boot from the second partition and run

sudo vsdbutil -a /Volumes/XXXXX

where XXXXX is name of the partition with your retail installation

I tried that command, and now your script is able to repair permissions at the end, which it hadnt been able to do before, but the problem persists. Machine hangs on the mDNSresponder not being able to read the name.

On a side note, I didnt install the kexts (3 of them) that chameleon itself sticks in /extras/externsions by default. Is that a good idea?

thanks,

m

Tadaaa! I've gotten it to boot!! The only question that remains is .. how.. and what was the problem, anyway. I copied 2 kexts (AppleDecrypt.kext and IOATAFamily) over from my working 10.5.6 /extra into the new /extra and BOOM it works. Then I did gphx & ether EFI strings with osx86tools, copied the boot.plist back to /extra, and seem at first glance to have a working system with sound, QE, restart, networking (at least I can browse the web, dunno bout bonjour & timemachine yet).

---remember, plug your monitor into the port closest to the motherboard, if you got 2 video outs- I forgot, and it had me going crazy with resolution switching probs. Now its all good. thanks LS8, and whoever else.. fasst 10.5.7 vanilla system now, seriously, somehow alot faster than my iAtkos 10.5.6 install. Mebbe its the AHCI mode I finally managed to activate..

thanks,

m

Does anyone have trouble sleeping? I have a GA-EP35-DS4 when I put it to sleep it actually shuts down. I used LS8v17 with a retail Leopard disk. Then I swapped the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and put the vanilla one back in, no sleep. Then I installed OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext, no sleep. Any other ides? I'm wondering if I should try a different AppleSMBIOS.kext. I did modify the AppleSMBIOS's info.plist to run my RAM at 1066/DDR2.

Anyone? Anyone?

I will tell you this is as close to perfect as I've ever gotten my rig to run. Awesome job LS8!

Does anyone have trouble sleeping? I have a GA-EP35-DS4 when I put it to sleep it actually shuts down. I used LS8v17 with a retail Leopard disk. Then I swapped the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and put the vanilla one back in, no sleep. Then I installed OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext, no sleep. Any other ides? I'm wondering if I should try a different AppleSMBIOS.kext. I did modify the AppleSMBIOS's info.plist to run my RAM at 1066/DDR2.

Anyone? Anyone?

I will tell you this is as close to perfect as I've ever gotten my rig to run. Awesome job LS8!

Have you checked "Restart automatically after a power failure" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options?

I don't have such option in 10.5.7:

picture1eug.th.png

dewdman: yes, the kexts included in my pack are the minimum to get a 100% working hackintosh

Have you checked "Restart automatically after a power failure" in System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> Options?

Hmm really?! I'll see. I don't think I've ever had to select that. I did make sure the "Allow power button to sleep computer" was checked. Actually I tried "Allow power button to sleep computer" checked and unchecked with no difference. Let me try your suggestion tonight.

I don't have such option in 10.5.7:

picture1eug.th.png

dewdman: yes, the kexts included in my pack are the minimum to get a 100% working hackintosh

I think the option exists on my setup.

Hmm really?! I'll see. I don't think I've ever had to select that. I did make sure the "Allow power button to sleep computer" was checked. Actually I tried "Allow power button to sleep computer" checked and unchecked with no difference. Let me try your suggestion tonight.

I think the option exists on my setup.

I take that back. I don't have that option.

energysaver.png

Any other thoughts?

Anyone think the sleep problem is related to the AppleSMBIOS.kext? I could try AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext v28 for the MacPro. If I did go this route how would I adjust my RAM Speed and type?

The speed you can edit in applesmbios is just information, not the real value. The real value is set in bios.

Sleep works for me on GA-EP45-DQ6 with LS8v17 default setting, I won't be able to test sleep on GA-P35-DS4 until next week.

So the speed and ram settings are just informational?! Good to know.

Also I tweaked some settings in the BIOS and sleep seems to be working now. I did a complete reinstall AGAIN and I turned "AC Back Function" in BIOS to "Full-On" not sure if that was it though. I'll verify tonight.

Do you think was the culprit? For reference I'm running F5 BIOS.

Side note. Can I get the new Chameleon to auto boot into a designated partition? And where can I fond a list of boot flags I can use with the new Chameleon?

Thanks again all!