LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

ioatafamily - ?????

jmicronata - driver for PATA devices

ionetworking family - fix for time machine, alternative to ETHER EFI string

realtekr1000 - enhances network performance

According to what I read here am right to assume that I can install this 10.5.6 update just as the other updates before by deleting AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext when it shows up and by replacing the line that says 'Don’t Steal Mac OS X.kext' with 'dsmos.kext'?

After that I reinstall my kext-backup for the P35-DS4 (in my case: AppleACPIPlatform.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, AppleHDA.kext, dsmos.kext, RealtekR1000.kext and finally because of the TM-fix IOAHCIFamily.kext) by overwriting the exisiting ones and everything works fine?

No need for DSDT patching (whatever this means)?

I can't seem to be able to find the Dont Steal MacOSX extension in /System/InstallAtStartup as in previous updates, so I had to change this file after reboot from the install CD:

/System/Library/CoreServices/backupd.bundle/Contents/Resources/System.plist

I can't seem to be able to find the Dont Steal MacOSX extension in /System/InstallAtStartup as in previous updates, so I had to change this file after reboot from the install CD:

yeah.. I've the same problem, but I can boot in to my installation... but it takes about 10 minutes to enter >_<

Does that mean that after the update you have to replace this file in your system-folder with the file from OSX 10.5 install disc?

Is this the only way or what is the best/safest way to update from 10.5.5 to 10.5.6 so that the system will stay intact?

Hi there, i have a question in mind to ask.... I think that this thread requires sometime to read the entire thing but then i have some question to ask -

Currently, I'm using Gigabyte 965mobo / Nvidai9600Gt/ 1x Sata 500G hard disk.can i installed Mac OS into it?

ideneb 10.5.5 - ok, but when i tryin to update to 10.5.6 i have a system crash.

maybe u know manual or way to install it? please help me.

Yes, a short manual how to safely install the update without crashes would be really great as I would like to use iWork09 it seems that I need 10.5.6. :P

i've install iwork09 without 10.5.6 update. just ignore warning window about version.

Great, looks like it worked - many thanks for the information.

So guess I'll wait with the update to 10.5.6 untill someone here posts a small guide how to safely update.

With my current setup, Im getting a restart when I should be getting a shutdown. This does not occur when using the ga-r35-ds4 rev 2.0 board (i plugged in there to test), also that machine was using E6850 and memory timings at 5-5-5-15, no other difference. Anyone else experiencing this?

This simple solution will probably help you.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...p;#entry1005187

This really solved the sleep problem, thanks. Yesterday I tried to clone entire partition with working 10.5.6 install (retail DVD install with LS8v14) from a machine based on GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard, the system works perfectly on GA-P35-DS4 machine. So now I can confirm that LS8v14 is fully compatible with both GA-P35-DS4 and GA-EP45-DQ6.

The restart instead of shutdown sighting has disappeared now, but the machine leaves the fan spinning after the shutdown - even with the poweroff_fix. I think I'll give the F6 beta BIOS a try.\\

Results: BIOS F6c is unreliable - overclocking values not remembered after restart, 1 HD didnt show up at all in BIOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone know how to fix the firewire in 10.5.6

ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

also I cant read or wirte to firewire drives. (I know drive is fine, working on real mac)

I got this working nicely in 10.5.4/5.

which kexts are the best to use with filrewire kexts.

EDIT :

I think, I fix it. I removed the Disabler.kext and the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Firewire Error message went away.

Now I am getting this message

_CFGetHostUUIDString: unable to determine UUID for host. Error: 35

I used _CFGetHostUUIDString Final Extension FIX from sneosx86.freeflux.net, low how meny message came up. No network from wake up with or without Fix IP

I upgraded to 10.5.6 using Chameleon 1.10.12 + ls8v15 and it works well.

I have updated these instructions for NVida driver fix 10.5.6. and also for some comments ls8 made

For those it might interest I was using LS8's v12 method for installation of 10.5.4 on my GA-EP35-DS3. But with the upgrade to 10.5.6 I switched to EFI9 / Chameleon 1.10.12 + ls8v15. Here are the details which worked for me:

--- Install a normal full up to date retail copy of 10.5.6 Leopard to the external drive: steps 1-7 ---

1. I connected the drive as an external drive to an existing MacBookPro. (I will call this external FooApple (name it something more sensible for your purposes :| )

2. I reformatted the DIsk and partioned as GUID (You set GUID in the partion section in Disk Utility when formatting the drive.)

3. I booted the MacBookPro with the retail Leopard installation disk.

4. I installed Leopard to the external drive FooApple.

5. I downloaded to the MacBookPro the combo updater 10.5.6. Updated FooApple to 10.5.6.

6. I Booted the MacBookPro from FooApple to see that things were working.

7. I rebooted from the internal disk drive of the macbook pro.

--- Download tools and kext's : steps 8-11 ---

8. I downloaded LS8's package v15.

9. I downloaded Chameleon EFI9.

10. I downloaded Pacifist This is a handy tool to look inside a package installer and pick bits of it out. (Although after updating the instructions its now not needed below)

11. I downloaded Kext helper b7 (This is a very handy drag and drop utility for changing kernel extensions - kext's.). (Although after updating the instructions its now not needed below)

--- Install tools and kext's to make the hackintosh function : steps 12-16---

12. I ran and installed Chameleon to the external drive FooApple.

13. I ran the script install-ls8v15.sh with destination FooApple. (I hit return to every prompt to get the default.) (ie if you look at the script I installed the defaults of the script.)

14. I installed the external drive (FooApple) in my hacintosh and booted from it. (I had to boot in safe mode at first).

15. I used EFIStudio to generate the correct EFI strings for the com.appleBoot.plist. I specified my graphics card, ETHER, and HDEF. Then a Reboot.

16. The mouse was jerky so I used the solution here. (Its a problem with the NVida cards and 10.5.6.) This means basically you delete the kext /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

17. You may need to fix TimeMachine by removing the NetworkInterfaces.plist and having the system regenerate it. Simple instructions here. (But likely this is not necessary and was caused by me first using the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext in the ls8v15 pack and then later reverting to the native IONetworkingFamily.kext. In any case this "fix" is very simple.)

--- Conclusions ---

:) I have 10.5.6 working! For me at the moment sleep doesn't work (I just disable sleeping) but I think everything else is working. (Sleep didn't work with my 10.5.4 + ls8v12 install either.) As the motherboard doesn't have firewire I can't test firewire. Front panel mic-out is working but, but front panel mic-in is not working (I never got mic-in working with ls812 either.). In fact sound is quite nice now since it works just like my powerbook. If music is playing and you plug in the headset the music stops playing through the main speakers and plays through the headset. I actually have a USB headset and sound in works using that. Time Machine is working.

History : originally I had used the modified IONetworkingFamily.kext in ls8v15, but on ls8's recomendation I just used the vanilla IONetworkingFamily.kext with the ETHER EFI string. With my system working stably I tested TimeMachine and found I needed to reinitialize NetworkInterfaces.plist like in the above. As far as I can tell TimeMachine is working perfectly. Also historically to fix the NVida10.5.6 driver problems I had reverted to the NVida10.5.5 drivers but when the better and simpler fix linked to above was found I switched to that.

Answering YES to every option is not default. Patched IONetworkingFamily.kext (TimeMachine fix) is not installed by default. By default it is expected that you use ETHER EFI string to make TimeMachine working.

I've upgraded to EFI9 / Chameleon EFI 1.0.12 + LS8v15 (without realtek driver).

Everything is working fine for me :unsure: ... even if I didn't try the front panel audio out.

Same here, but have strange problem with mouse movement, it is like jump sometimes, and my videos and screensaver does not play smooth at all time.

CI/QE are enabled, but I think that this is a smbios or cpu related problem?

Does some one have this problem?

I have installed retail mac os 10.5.6 and LS8v15, Chameleon and EFI strings only for my 9800GT 512

Same here, but have strange problem with mouse movement, it is like jump sometimes, and my videos and screensaver does not play smooth at all time.

CI/QE are enabled, but I think that this is a smbios or cpu related problem?

Does some one have this problem?

I have installed retail mac os 10.5.6 and LS8v15, Chameleon and EFI strings only for my 9800GT 512

The problem seems to be with the NVida card and 10.5.6. There is a solution here. Basically you just delete /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext.

Answering YES to every option is not default. Patched IONetworkingFamily.kext (TimeMachine fix) is not installed by default. By default it is expected that you use ETHER EFI string to make TimeMachine working.

I didn't realize that answering yes to everything in the install script was not giving the "intended" default installation. (Perhaps the script should then be changed?) I will restore the vanilla retail IONetworkingFamily.kext, since I had already added the ETHER EFI string. Thanks for the correction!

This really solved the sleep problem, thanks. Yesterday I tried to clone entire partition with working 10.5.6 install (retail DVD install with LS8v14) from a machine based on GA-EP45-DQ6 motherboard, the system works perfectly on GA-P35-DS4 machine. So now I can confirm that LS8v14 is fully compatible with both GA-P35-DS4 and GA-EP45-DQ6.

Ok and with which bios version did you test? Is the front panel audio out working now? And it's working with the LS8v15 as I can see :)

RichardJ: Press ENTER on every option to choose the default. You can see that some options have Y/n which means that Y (YES) is default, it is chosen with ENTER. Those choices with y/N have N (NO) as default, and NO is chosen by pressing ENTER.

Stellair: BIOS F8, front panel mic in works, front panel out does not work