LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

Hi ls8, thanks for checking in on us DS4 owners occaisionally, and updating your install package!

Two minor amendments; firstly can you change the title of the thread, it's a bit out of date as to what's actually in it since you updated it.

Secondly, could you make it clear that the "EFI9_Chameleon_EFI_1.0.12.zip" is NOT the latest release from the Chameleon EFI team, but is actually the NETKAS EFI 9 release with the Chameleon installer. I have nothing against this release, it's just that I'm happy using the Chameleon releases, currently 1.0.11, and I think the naming of the file makes it look like it's a new version of Chameleon.

Thanks!

So with the GA-EP45-DQ6 everything is working?

Yes. On GA-EP45-DQ6 front panel works fully. If you plug the headphones to the front panel (green), then the back panel out mutes automatically and sound is transferred to the front panel out (and vice versa). The front panel mic in works too, you can choose between "Internal microphone" (back panel mic in) and "External microphone" (front panel mic in) in System Preferences - Sound - Input.

...can you change the title of the thread, it's a bit out of date...

...could you make it clear that the "EFI9_Chameleon_EFI_1.0.12.zip" is NOT the latest release from the Chameleon EFI team, but is actually the NETKAS EFI 9 release with the Chameleon installer...

Yes, I will update the thread subject.

I thought everyone knows that Chameleon_1.0.12 = Chameleon_1.0.11 + PC_EFIv9

BTW Did you guys see the screenshots of the future version of Chameleon? It is amazing!!!

http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/introducing-new-features-added-to-next-version-of-chameleon-part-1
http://chameleon.osx86.hu/articles/more-new-features-added-to-next-chameleon-version-part-2

Yes, I will update the thread subject.

I thought everyone knows that Chameleon_1.0.12 = Chameleon_1.0.11 + PC_EFIv9

BTW Did you guys see the screenshots of the future version of Chameleon? It is amazing!!!

Thanks for updating. I didn't know Chameleon_1.0.12 = Chameleon_1.0.11 + PC_EFIv9, but then I don't check in here too often, just when updates and so on pop up in software update. Too busy!

Yes, new version of Chameleon does look good, it'll be nice to replace grub with one program that does it all.

8/ create GFX and ETHER string for your graphics and ethernet - you can use EFIStudio or OSX86 Tools for it

My network is working without creating an ETHER string. Despite this should i create one?

Up and running with 10.5.6. I guess there is no more need for the shutdown_fix + CHUD.pkg. Everything seems to work :wacko:

I don't know.

Without shutdown fix+CHUD my system would not shut down properly.

Can't get this install to work. Having the GA-EP45-DQ6 rev. 1.0 F12 with an E9550 and 4x1GB DDR2 1066MHz.

I get the following result during BOOT before halt:

npvhash=4095

hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000

PAE enabled

64 bit mode enabled

Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386

standard timeslicing quantum is 10000 us

vm_page_bootstrap: 769199 free pages and 279377 wired pages

mig_table_max_displ = 79

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x00434A1F): "Unable to find driver for this platform: ∖"ACPI∖".∖n"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.9.59/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert .cpp:1407

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x53e73dd8 : 0x12b4f3 (0x45b13c 0x53e73e0c 0x1335e4 0x0)

0x53e73e28 : 0x434a1f (0x4a07a0 0x56f6730 0x53e73e58 0x5852500)

0x53e73e48 : 0x412976 (0x5860980 0x5762d80 0x1 0x3ecd96)

0x53e73ea8 : 0x414219 (0x5762d80 0x5860980 0x5769c80 0x0)

0x53e73f28 : 0x413a7d (0x5762d80 0x5769cc0 0x8 0xffffffff)

0x53e73f78 : 0x415111 (0x5762d80 0x0 0x53e73fac 0x1)

0x53e73fc8 : 0x1a017c (0x576dea0 0x0 0x1a30b5 0x57588b8)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.6.0: Mon Nov 24 17:37:00 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.9.59~1/RELEASE_I386

Anybody out there able to help me out?

Can't get this install to work. Having the GA-EP45-DQ6 rev. 1.0 F12 with an E9550 and 4x1GB DDR2 1066MHz.

Not really, but I try to help. I am a newcomer here with little experience.

I got similar error messages when did not cd-d into the directory where the install-ls8v15.sh script is.

Check once more your root directory if you can not find a vanilla directory there you made mistake in the installation.

If there is such directory try to boot with -x switch.

Hopefully this will help.

After installing the v15 pack of kexts, the login screen never shows up, but I'm still able to SSH into the hackintosh.

EDIT:

I have deleted the following kexts from /System/Library/Extensions and now system gets to login screen:

AppleHDA.kext

HDAEnabler.kext

OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext

Is anyone else having poor network perfomance after updating to 10.5.6?

I updated my hackintosh recently. On reboot, I assumed I needed to reset GFX and ETHER strings, which I did using EFIstudio. Except everything was already recognised, like the boot.plist didn't get reset with the update. So I tried to add them anyway.

So I start using my updated Hack, everything seems to work fine, and did the other updates (Quicktime, iTunes etc). Except when using Firefox browser (Safari is the same) I get lots of time outs and long DNS look up, even when clicking on sites like google - 'looking for google' hangs around on the bottom status bar until the web page times out. It can sometimes take 4 or 5 reloads to wake up the LAN. This seems to be an issue just with this Hack, my Macbook doesn't exhibit any of these slowing up problems, though it's still on 10.5.5. Though I could point the finger at my broadband provider, DNS lookup, cables to my router etc etc, it really feels like something thats acting screwy with the network adapter.

Brief tests copying files between the Macs don't show up any problem. I don't really have much of a home network to test it out on. This problem also happens in Windows XP when it's running as a VM in VMWare Fusion.

Anyone else getting behaviour like this, or know what's causing it?

I updated my hackintosh recently. On reboot, I assumed I needed to reset GFX and ETHER strings, which I did using EFIstudio. Except everything was already recognised, like the boot.plist didn't get reset with the update. So I tried to add them anyway.

So I start using my updated Hack, everything seems to work fine, and did the other updates (Quicktime, iTunes etc). Except when using Firefox browser (Safari is the same) I get lots of time outs and long DNS look up, even when clicking on sites like google - 'looking for google' hangs around on the bottom status bar until the web page times out. It can sometimes take 4 or 5 reloads to wake up the LAN. This seems to be an issue just with this Hack, my Macbook doesn't exhibit any of these slowing up problems, though it's still on 10.5.5. Though I could point the finger at my broadband provider, DNS lookup, cables to my router etc etc, it really feels like something thats acting screwy with the network adapter.

Brief tests copying files between the Macs don't show up any problem. I don't really have much of a home network to test it out on. This problem also happens in Windows XP when it's running as a VM in VMWare Fusion.

I had slow network issues also, and I changed advanced settings in the router until the network was working normally again. But then I have several Apple devices connecting to my router too, all on 10.5.6 (macmini, ibook, appletv), and i can't say if 10.5.6. caused it, or bad default wireless settings on the router. My wireless performance has always been crappy with this supposedly 'n' router.

My wireless performance has always been crappy with this supposedly 'n' router.

The wireless is working fine for me (my router is a Netgear DG834G), always has, that's how my Macbook connects. The Hack I'm having trouble with is wire connected to the router via the Realtek 8111 onboard controller (see earlier post). It's not so much slow performance, it's almost like it cuts out occasionally. On a VM install of XP, I was downloading .NET 3 (250MB) from Microsoft for XP and the connection would just stop for 10 to 20 seconds evert couple of minutes. The same thing happened as I was downloading another large file, Fusion update, on the Hack.

Anyone else have this?

Well I also have a wired connection from my hackintosh to my DG834G and its working fine for me. At least I don't notice any problems on it. (On 10.5.6 see my sig for the rest of the details...)

Installing with v15

What is recommended for audio (there are 2 options in the interactive install script..):

1. Latest audio driver 1.6.2.a37 and HDAEnabler

2. AppleHDA from 10.4.9 and ALCInject

When i try #1, my audio isnt discovered and when i try to generate EFI string with EFIStudio it says "device not found" when i choose AZAL.

Then I installed option #2 on top of option number one and it started to work, but still cant generate EFI string...

How do I install so that I can generate an audio EFI string?

Also, where is the 1.6.2.a37 driver installed? Which files are placed where? Does someone have a link to a page explaining what all the different .kext files do that we are using here?

Installing with v15

What is recommended for audio (there are 2 options in the interactive install script..):

1. Latest audio driver 1.6.2.a37 and HDAEnabler

2. AppleHDA from 10.4.9 and ALCInject

When i try #1, my audio isnt discovered and when i try to generate EFI string with EFIStudio it says "device not found" when i choose AZAL.

Then I installed option #2 on top of option number one and it started to work, but still cant generate EFI string...

How do I install so that I can generate an audio EFI string?

Also, where is the 1.6.2.a37 driver installed? Which files are placed where? Does someone have a link to a page explaining what all the different .kext files do that we are using here?

If you just hit "ENTER" at every option running the script (.sh) file, you should have audio without EFI string. You need EFI sting for video.

On this forum there is plenty of explanation for every .kext (KErnel eXTention)

It is a lot of reading, but worth while.

I think that because an updated version of HDAEnabler kext is installed with v15, the AZAL option in EFIStudio doesn't work anymore, at least this is what I found. I chose the HDEF option instead, and audio seems to work fine, with the default install from v15 pack.

I'm still having trouble with intermittent stalling of the realtek 8111 ethernet port. It seems that with 10.5.6 Apple may have updated their realtek driver in (I think) IONetworkingFamily.kext (and so, perhaps, in the modded version that's in the v15 pack), and attempting to install any other driver doesn't override the built in one, afaik. Can I remove IONetworkingFamily.kext and install another Realtek driver? I have rev 2.0 of the P35-DS4; rev 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 have the Realtek 8111 chip, whereas rev 2.1 have the 8111B, according to the Gigabyte specs page, so if anyone else has seen these issues with the older boards after updating to 10.5.6, it would be handy to know.

Well I also have a wired connection from my hackintosh to my DG834G and its working fine for me. At least I don't notice any problems on it. (On 10.5.6 see my sig for the rest of the details...)

I notice from your sig you've got the Psystar Realtek driver installed. Did you remove IONetworkingFamily.kext, or did you install default v15 pack? Also, your EP35-DS3 board (rev 2.1?) has a 8111B I think.

desertfox: look into the installation script, you can see what files are installed. You do not need EFI string for audio with LS8v15.

Hi.

i have still a problem with the shutdown. I did a clean 10.5.6 install and all was fine... then when I imported my old user from another disk (including application folder etc) I was the same as before:

• no shutdown
  • no sleep (or better to say: no wake up)

Has someone the same problems?

see my signature for my hardware.

thank you

Sleep always works 100% for me without any extra configuration needed. Shutdown may need the shutdown fix installed (see post #1). I did not install the fix, I never shut it down, I only use sleep. Now I tried to shut down the computer, and it shut down correctly.

Where can the new efi studio be downloaded from? Hope it has 9800gt in there. Thanks for all the replies about the efi string on audio. Looks like i wont be needing it.

Maybe we should just wait for chameleon to release his efi. Looks pretty sweet.