LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

Just tried to update to 10.5.8 with ls8v17. Fresh install + update + Chameleon + ls8v17 didn't work, resulting in a kernel panic.
When did it panic, during install or after a reboot?

If it's after a reboot then try this:

Boot in verboose mode, if "it" is then complaining about Jmicron right before the Kernel Panics - disable the jmicron controller in the Bios setup. After this procedure my machine booted and i applied the right .kexts again.

When did it panic, during install or after a reboot?

If it's after a reboot then try this:

Boot in verboose mode, if "it" is then complaining about Jmicron right before the Kernel Panics - disable the jmicron controller in the Bios setup. After this procedure my machine booted and i applied the right .kexts again.

Also right after you have installed Chameleon, run sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/VOLUME_NAME and then install the ls8 pack. It will enable owners on the target drive, this fixed my kernel panic.

Thanks DesertFox, my rig now shuts down and reboots properly due to the new kernel!

It was easy, install the package, and reboot! I love easy fixes like that.

Thanks to all for info to date!

There is now a sleep fix available that works with 9.8.0: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1224830

Also, OpenHaltRestart.kext will fix restart/shutdown (at least on GA-P35-DS4)

If you put these in /Extra/Extensions make sure to run sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/Extensions

Just tried to update to 10.5.8 with ls8v17. Fresh install + update + Chameleon + ls8v17 didn't work, resulting in a kernel panic.

I have the exact same problem. Did you find a solution?

I'm going to try 10.5.7 Combo with ls8v17. Fresh install + update + Chameleon + ls8v17

Ok i cannot get this to work.

I have had to reinstall because of a botched 10.5.8 install. I originally installed in 2007 and been applying the patches and updates as they come.

So I am trying to do a clean install on a system that has worked since 2007. So I know the bios is set up ok. using the method below

1/ Use any method to install Mac OS X Retail DVD (BOOT-132, GRUB-DFE, install from another Mac etc.)

2/ Install Mac OS X 10.5.7 Combo update

3/ Install Chameleon 2.0 RC1

4/ Install LS8v17 (installation script must be run from its location: ./install-ls8v17.sh)

5/ Reboot

The script is now working and I have checked the kexts have been installed to extra.

When I reboot I get kernel panics straight away at the grey apple boot screen. I'm following the guide to the letter. Hitting enter to every question.

I'm starting to wonder if its the kexts?

Which SMBIOS have you all installed?

And do you keep those injector.kexts which chameleon installs to extra?

Ok i cannot get this to work.

I've made a few installers based on LS8v17's work. Have a look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115877

I'll briefly explain what they do, so you can duplicate the functionality manually if you like. All kexts are from the LS8v17 pack except for the SleepEnabler.kext mentioned above and the kexts that come with Chameleon RC2.

Essentials:

* Deletes dsmos.kext from /S/L/E (may be left over from a previous install)

* Deletes IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext from /Extra (no longer needed as RC2 comes with Disabler.kext)

* Adds dsmos.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext (decrypt, shutdown/restart, sleep)

* Generates dstd.aml with option -newHPET (not really needed at this point, but it can't hurt (I guess))

* Regenerates /Extra/Extensions.mkext

Fixes:

* Adds AppleHDA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, RealtekR1000.kext to /S/L/E (audio, various(version 33), audio, network)

* Regenerates /S/L/E/Extensions.mkext (Actually it just touches /S/L/E which is the recommended way of triggering a regeneration)

I've made a few installers based on LS8v17's work. Have a look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115877

I'll briefly explain what they do, so you can duplicate the functionality manually if you like. All kexts are from the LS8v17 pack except for the SleepEnabler.kext mentioned above and the kexts that come with Chameleon RC2.

Essentials:

* Deletes dsmos.kext from /S/L/E (may be left over from a previous install)

* Deletes IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext from /Extra (no longer needed as RC2 comes with Disabler.kext)

* Adds dsmos.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext (decrypt, shutdown/restart, sleep)

* Generates dstd.aml with option -newHPET (not really needed at this point, but it can't hurt (I guess))

* Regenerates /Extra/Extensions.mkext

Fixes:

* Adds AppleHDA.kext, AppleSMBIOS.kext, HDAEnabler.kext, RealtekR1000.kext to /S/L/E (audio, various(version 33), audio, network)

* Regenerates /S/L/E/Extensions.mkext (Actually it just touches /S/L/E which is the recommended way of triggering a regeneration)

Thank you.

Ok tried the above it seems it does copy the files to the selected installation volumes. I still get a kernel panic straight away.

Debugger called <panic>

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.7.0)

dependency: com.apple.iokit. IOPCIFamily (2.6)

dependency: com.apple.iokit. IOAHCIFamily(1.5.0)

This Chameleon method is just not working for me and there must be a simple answer.

Just to clarify:

I have the hackintosh drive connected to my macbook via usb to SATA. I partition GUID, install 10.5 on to it then 10.5.8 combo buy running the installers on the macbook and changing their install location to the hackintosh drive.

I then run chameleon rc2 installer from the macbook and then also change it's install location to the hackintosh drive

All folders seem to be created on that drive and I can see all the kexts.

I'm wondering if Chameleon and these scripts/installers need to be run from the hackintosh drive in order to work and set permission etc correctly ?

Thank you.

Ok tried the above it seems it does copy the files to the selected installation volumes. I still get a kernel panic straight away.

Debugger called <panic>

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort (1.7.0)

dependency: com.apple.iokit. IOPCIFamily (2.6)

dependency: com.apple.iokit. IOAHCIFamily(1.5.0)

This Chameleon method is just not working for me and there must be a simple answer.

Just to clarify:

I have the hackintosh drive connected to my macbook via usb to SATA. I partition GUID, install 10.5 on to it then 10.5.8 combo buy running the installers on the macbook and changing their install location to the hackintosh drive.

I then run chameleon rc2 installer from the macbook and then also change it's install location to the hackintosh drive

All folders seem to be created on that drive and I can see all the kexts.

I'm wondering if Chameleon and these scripts/installers need to be run from the hackintosh drive in order to work and set permission etc correctly ?

If you do it that way you must do it in another order.

1) Install OS X

2) Installl 10.5.8 Combo update

3) Install Chameleon

4) Install Essentials

5) Install Fixes

Then you should be able to boot. In order to get sleep to work you need to check the checkbox in Energy Saver Options saying "Restart automatically after a power failure" (the installer normally does this for you).

Note that I've only tested this by installing from a partition already running OSX to another internal drive. I don't have a USB->SATA connector so I can't test it from my macbook. Owners might be a problem?

Anyway, I don't want to mess up LS8 thread further so please put any additional comments in my thread :)

If you do it that way you must do it in another order.

1) Install OS X

2) Installl 10.5.8 Combo update

3) Install Chameleon

4) Install Essentials

5) Install Fixes

Then you should be able to boot. In order to get sleep to work you need to check the checkbox in Energy Saver Options saying "Restart automatically after a power failure" (the installer normally does this for you).

Note that I've only tested this by installing from a partition already running OSX to another internal drive. I don't have a USB->SATA connector so I can't test it from my macbook. Owners might be a problem?

Anyway, I don't want to mess up LS8 thread further so please put any additional comments in my thread :)

Ok I have managed to install it now using your method Tseung.

It looks like installing over to usb drive was causing problems. Probably permissions?

Anyway worked first time. I'm sure if I used LS8's without connecting via usb it would have worked first time too

Uhm... no.... I run installer and restart... :) Please explain me the step to follow?

copy com.apple.Boot.plist from here /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

to here: /Extra/

After you have applied EFI strings with EFI Studio or OSX86 tools.

How can I modify this to include ALC888 Audio for my GA-P35-DS3L board?

Thanks

Its a simple shell script that just copies files. Just replace the audio kext that is being copied over right now with the one you need.

Does anyone here have WL-138G v2 working with their setup? I noticed that ls8 is using this wireless card. I have the card also, but have problems. It is recognized as Airport but has trouble connecting to networks. It can scan and see the networks, but would not accept password on the first try. Eventually it would in some way become connected, but still would not work... Im using WPA2 ... could this be the problem?

I have success with fresh install 10.5.8 on GA-P35-DS4

1/ 10.5 from Retail DVD

2/ 10.5.8 Combo

3/ Chameleon RC2

4/ LS8v17 (only dsmos, audio, ethernet, reboot fix)

5/ com.apple.Boot.plist with GFX and ETHER strings to /Extra

6/ AppleSMBIOS-38

7/ dsdt.aml via DSDT patcher (HPET option enabled)

8/ removed disabler.kext from /Extra

Everything seems to work including sleep, need to set "Restart automatically after a power failure" in System Preferences / Energy Saver / Options.

I will investigate installing 10.6 on GA-P35-DS4 and GA-EP45-DQ6 as soon as I buy the retail DVD.