LS8v17 # Mac OS X 10.5.7 # GA-P35-DS4 # GA-EP45-DQ6

LS8

1,296 posts in this topic

I did as you said, copied the plist over to the Extras folder. I changed all of the privileges to read/write, but the machine fails to boot now, keeps restarting... What are the correct permissions for the plist in the Extras folder? Does the copy need to occur in safe mode?

Thanks!

Did you have to authenticate when you copied the plist over(enter your password). I did. You sure you picked the right video card in EFstudio? Did you save a boot plist that works. Did you try booting without the boot plist in extras?

I originally posted this in the wrong area.

Can anyone verify if the SPDIF out works for a GA-EP35-DS4? For instance in conjunction with a HDMI video card? Hard to verify if these ports actually work without the hardware to test them. I'd like to buy a video card that supports HDMI out with audio to use a HTPC and it's just easier to run a single cable.

From LS8's v17 install I see a buttload of audio in/out ports available but I can test them all.

Did you have to authenticate when you copied the plist over(enter your password). I did. You sure you picked the right video card in EFstudio? Did you save a boot plist that works. Did you try booting without the boot plist in extras?

This might be a long shot but what do you have selected for "Init Display First" PCI, PEG or PEG2

I have a dual card setup and I can't boot unless I select PEG2 as my boot display. Strange I know.

I replaced the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler with this one N1_1.6.2a37_3outs2ins_digital_HDA_headphone.zip. Now i dont get the above messages and Im able to boot into the welcome screen where you setup your account. Unfortunately booting into safe mode (-x) does not work, it hangs on this line:

usr/sbin/ocspd[65]: starting

I came across this post Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev 1.1 Retail Install Notes, Includes Native Audio and Ethernet and thought of your problem. Scroll to the 10.5.7 section at the end of the post. Apologies if you've already seen it. and/or it turns out to be useless...

OK I actually bought a video card with HDMI output. Video works no problem but I can't get the audio from the S/PDIF Out Header on the motherboard. Can anyone confirm this works on their board?

Great work!

I just switched Chameleon RC1, and it's working great.

But, no matter what I do, I cannot get sleep to work during idle. I have the most compatible parts: P35-DS4, nVidia 7600GT, 2 Western Digital HD, 8GB RAM, no overclocking.

I never had sleep working even with EFI. I was hoping that doing a clean install would give me this feature, but, sleep works only through manual clicking. I tried enabling auto restart in case of power failure.

Anyone has any clue how to get this to work?

Great work!

I just switched Chameleon RC1, and it's working great.

But, no matter what I do, I cannot get sleep to work during idle. I have the most compatible parts: P35-DS4, nVidia 7600GT, 2 Western Digital HD, 8GB RAM, no overclocking.

I never had sleep working even with EFI. I was hoping that doing a clean install would give me this feature, but, sleep works only through manual clicking. I tried enabling auto restart in case of power failure.

Anyone has any clue how to get this to work?

I've been trying to get sleep to work for ages as well. Somewhere around iAtkos 10.5.3 it was working on fresh installs but eventually it would stop working all by itself. Haven't gotten it to work since.

First I would like to thanx L8 for compiling this stuff. You did a great job.

I've got a GA-EP45-DS4 motherboard and all is looking healthy except that

after a long time kernel panics since I installed L8v17.

For me it looks like a memory leak somewhere.

My hardware config is :

• GA-EP45-DS4 F5
  • Intel Q6600
  • 4 Go of ram
  • Sapphire HD4850 dual
  • One SATA disk

Is somebody else having the same issue ?

For a working Sleep, I have concluded that the solution is:

1) S3 in bios (ring, alarm and pme settings disabled)

2) Energy Settings > Resume on fail (ticked)

3) Terminal: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

4) Install Shutdown fix according to this guide. (I prefered to install an updated copy of Xcode which includes CHUD). Don't forget to install the CPUPrefPane after CHUD, and apply the fix installer at the end.

After these I have a functional Sleep, that even works in auto (after some minutes of inactivity).

Of course, I have to press the power button to wake on.

Sleep, Restart and Shutdown work perfect (even after sleep).

This has worked for DS4 and nividia 7200gs (nvinstaller 0.52). I have not found a way to fix sleep when using a Radeon 4850 (it is a known problem for ati 4xxx cards so I abandoned the card!).

Two issues remain....

1) If I want to set Timeout = 5 for Chameleon 2rc1, which plist do I have to edit? ( that one in /extra or the other in /Library/... ?)

2) When shutting down the hackintosh it turns off completely but it restarts without my intervention after some minutes (!). This does not correlate with Sleep. Is it a known issue ???

Thanks!

Problem 1 solved (/Extra/..plist)

Problem 2 solved too (see .4 of the previous message)

:)

Does automatic wakeup work for you (System Preferences - Energy Saver - Schedule)? It does not work for me, but it used to work in older versions like 10.5.2.

No, scheduled wake/sleep doesn't seem to work (I have ring, alarm, pme settings disabled in bios, but I tested also with enabled).

Something else: I have installed Chameleon 2rc1 in the OSX installation partition (disk0). Now I want to move this to a HFS partition in my windows xp disk (disk1) and make it active to be able to dual boot. If i install 2rc1 in the new partition it will be ok except that it won't have the kexts that ls8v17 put in Extra. Moreover, folder Extra will exist also in OSX partition (chameleon installation actually).

Which is the proper way to "move" 2RC1 (together with v17 installed kexts) from OSX partition to a separate disk ?

(Something interesting is that if I boot with boot123 for ds4 and point my OSX installation the boot phase with apple logo lasts just 1/4 of what it takes with the normal 2rc1 boot !!! I suspect that there is some huge potential here for improving our setups but i don't know how to experiment with kexts management...)

Something else: I have installed Chameleon 2rc1 in the OSX installation partition (disk0). Now I want to move this to a HFS partition in my windows xp disk (disk1) and make it active to be able to dual boot. If i install 2rc1 in the new partition it will be ok except that it won't have the kexts that ls8v17 put in Extra. Moreover, folder Extra will exist also in OSX partition (chameleon installation actually).

Which is the proper way to "move" 2RC1 (together with v17 installed kexts) from OSX partition to a separate disk ?

No hope for this one?

Actually, what i want to achieve is just follow the "ls8" method for vanilla leo (which now uses chameleon 2rc1) and make this work with dual booting (XP in a separate drive). I have read that beacause both XP and Chameleon2 require to be load from the bios selected disk the solution is to make a chameleon partition in Xp drive and start from there. However, the ls8 script requires that someone has installed Chameleon in the OSX drive. So the only solution I can think of is to 1) after ls8 installation install Chameleon in its own partition on XP drive, take the /Extra folder (which is enriched with the ls8 kexts) and move it to the Chameleon partition.

... but this doesn't fully work, something is not in par :)

For a working Sleep, I have concluded that the solution is:

4) Install Shutdown fix according to this guide. (I prefered to install an updated copy of Xcode which includes CHUD). Don't forget to install the CPUPrefPane after CHUD, and apply the fix installer at the end.

After these I have a functional Sleep, that even works in auto (after some minutes of inactivity).

Of course, I have to press the power button to wake on.

Sleep, Restart and Shutdown work perfect (even after sleep).

This has worked for DS4 and nividia 7200gs (nvinstaller 0.52). I have not found a way to fix sleep when using a Radeon 4850 (it is a known problem for ati 4xxx cards so I abandoned the card!).

So you applied this to 10.5.7 and it works? What board do you have?

Question. Using LS8's method does everyone's sleep work properly? Mine hasn't for a while. Used to work way back in something like 10.5.2 Does any need Sansara's method for sleep to work?

Yes, i have a working sleep mode under 10.5.7.

My system includes: P35-DS4 rev2.0 (bios 14c), intel e5200, nvidia 7200gs, 4gb 800mhz, 2 sata hard drives underclocked to 5200rpm

XBench=186

I have also found a solution for installing Chameleon 2 to a dedicated partition (BootLoader) on a separate drive (mbr win drive, for dual booting with XP).

Assuming you have two hard drives, here is a mini tutorial of how to setup ls8v17 Leopard 10.5.7 for dual booting with XP, while maintaining maximum possible control over potential changes to the setup:

PHASE 1

-Boot with Boot132 (ds4), install 10.5.6 Retail

-Reboot (hard reset) with 132 to osx with -x, install combo 10.5.7, reboot 132 to osx -x, install all online updates, install X-code (optional).

Now you have a 100% pure and updated vanilla 10.5.7. Boot to DVD and make an image of osx to a different partition (make a favor to yourself and don't skip this!).

PHASE 2

-Install Chameleon 2rc1 (from its installer) to your BootLoader partition in win disk (1gb, HFS+).

-Make BootLoader partition active (google).

-Restart. In bios set win disk as first selection. Boot with 132 to osx ( -x)

PHASE 3

-Modify sh script from ls8v17 folder to have "critical kexts" installed (and mkexted) in BootLoader/Extra. This requires a new variable (input from a second starting question) for bootloader destination and the corresponding paste of its name to some points of the code. I can attach my modified script if anyone wants it. Answer yes to all kexts.

-Install GPU kext to L/S/E. (in my case it was nvinstaller script for nvidia 7200gs.. you can install your kext with MKext Tool)

-Edit BootLoader plist for Timeout and Default Partition (find osx with "diskutil list" and place a key: hd(x,y) e.g for disk1s2 -> hd(1,2)

-Reboot normally. In Chameleon boot screen type -f.

-Install poweroff fix and make other settings (you can read in my previous message the 4 steps i followed).

-In terminal type "diskutil list" and in case there are some "35" errors google "

UUID.kext.zip" and install the UUID.kext (manually or whatever) to System/Library/Extensions.

-If you want to set a default partition to Chameleon for booting without user intervention edit /BootLoader/Extra/..plist adding (Timeout 1) and (Default Partition = hd(x,y). Find x,y from terminal: "diskutil list", but have in mind that x may be fault (it was for me ! gr... diskutil consults for hd(0,2) but autoboot works only with hd(1,2) ).

Everything works perfectly now and you can also dual boot to windows !

(and you have no worries about when apple will decide to use the EFI partition which some use for chameleon)

This way, backup and restore are extremely flexible --> Keep a full image of OSX partition (with disk utility) and a "pure retail kexts" backup (with osx86tools) at the end of Phase 1 (put them in your win disk!). Keep an image of BootLoader partition too, at the end of Phase 3 (in your osx disk!). Setup TimeMachine to use a partition in your win disk.

Now, if anything happens or if you want to try a new kexts setup you have many backup plans ready:

-Restore retail kexts (to reapply ls8 kexts collection)

-Restore pure retail installation with vanilla kexts (to finish with a different modified setup)

-Restore to a working osx state with TimeMachine (from disk util) without reinstalling/reconfiguring chameleon and critical kexts

-Face a drive (osx/win) corruption without getting locked outside of your other OS (win drive failure: restore BootLoader image to a new disk, osx drive failure: restore osx partition from TimeMachine and you are ready to go).

:)

Only "issue" is that startup time is about 50 secs, while with ideneb 10.5.6 i had a working system with ~35 secs. Boot time with 132 to same ls8 setup is about 30-35 secs. I am going to further investigate what kexts are not fully required for ds4 and remove them.

This is the modification to sh script. You can set your chameleon partition in the second answer.

#!/bin/bash

clear

echo
read -p "Enter the name of the OSX86 volume: " OSX86DEST
read -p "Enter the name of the Chameleon volume: " CHAMELEONDEST

echo
echo "For default settings (proven working on GA-P35-DS4 and GA-EP45-DQ6) press [ENTER] on every qestion."

echo
read -p "Did you install Mac OS X and Combo update 10.5.7 to /Volumes/$OSX86DEST? [Y/n] " ANSWER
if [ "$ANSWER" == "n" ] || [ "$ANSWER" == "N" ] ; then
exit 0
fi

echo
read -p "Install critical kexts to /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions? [Y/n] " ANSWER
if [ "$ANSWER" == "y" ] || [ "$ANSWER" == "Y" ] || [ "$ANSWER" == "" ] ; then
KEXTDEST="/Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions/"
PLISTDEST="/Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/"
else
KEXTDEST="/Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/"
PLISTDEST="/Volumes/$OSX86DEST/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/"
fi

VANILLA="/Volumes/$OSX86DEST/vanilla"
sudo mkdir $VANILLA/

echo
read -p "Install IntelCPUPMDisabler? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo cp -r kext/IntelCPUPMDisabler/IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "IntelCPUPMDisabler installed."
else
read -p "Remove vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement? [y/N] " ANSWER
if [ "$ANSWER" == "y" ] || [ "$ANSWER" == "Y" ] ; then
	sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext $VANILLA/
	echo "Vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement moved to $VANILLA/."
else
	echo "You are using vanilla AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Your OSX86 may not work."
fi
fi

echo
read -p "Install page decryption EFI module - dsmos? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo cp -r kext/dsmos/dsmos.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "Page decryption EFI module - dsmos - installed."
else
echo "You did not install dsmos.kext. Your OSX86 may not boot up."
fi

echo
read -p "Install com.apple.Boot.plist with EFI strings and other configuration? [Y/n] " ANSWER
read -p "Enter path where you have your prepared com.apple.Boot.plist - path may _NOT_ contain spaces [./com.apple.Boot.plist/] " ANSWER
if [ "$ANSWER" == "" ] ; then
	ANSWER="com.apple.Boot.plist"
fi
sudo cp /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla com.apple.Boot.plist moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp $ANSWER/com.apple.Boot.plist $PLISTDEST
echo "Your com.apple.Boot.plist installed to $PLISTDEST."
else
echo "You may need to install GFX and ETHER strings manually, or use proper drivers/injectors."
echo "Your OSX86 may not boot without GFX EFI string or driver/injector, try -x boot option."
fi

# Following kexts should go to /S/L/E
KEXTDEST="/Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions"

echo
read -p "Install patched audio driver 1.6.2.a37 and HDAEnabler? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla AppleHDA.kext moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA/1.6.2a37/AppleHDA.kext $KEXTDEST
sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA/1.6.2a37/HDAEnabler.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "Patched AppleHDA 1.6.2.a37 and HDAEnabler installed."
else
read -p "Install LegacyHDAController, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver and HDAEnabler? [Y/n] " ANSWER
	sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA/Legacy/HDAEnabler.kext $KEXTDEST
	sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA/Legacy/LegacyHDAController.kext $KEXTDEST
	sudo cp -r kext/AppleHDA/Legacy/LegacyHDAPlatformDriver.kext $KEXTDEST
	echo "LegacyHDAController, LegacyHDAPlatformDriver and HDAEnabler installed."
else
	echo "You are using vanilla AppleHDA.kext. Your onboard sound may not work."
fi
fi

echo
read -p "Install IOAHCI 1.5.0 build 294 SATA drivers? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/IOAHCIFamily.kext $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla IOAHCIFamily.kext moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp -r kext/IOAHCIFamily/IOAHCIFamily.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "Latest IOAHCI 1.5.0 build 294 SATA drivers installed."
else
echo "You are using vanilla IOAHCI SATA drivers. Your internal drives may be displayed as external disks with orange icons."
fi

echo
read -p "Install AppleSMBIOS-33? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla AppleSMBIOS.kext moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp -r kext/AppleSMBIOS/33/AppleSMBIOS.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "AppleSMBIOS-33 by Andy Vandijk installed."
else
read -p "Install AppleSMBIOEFI-28 - MacPro - and leave vanilla AppleSBIOS? [Y/n] " ANSWER
	sudo cp -r kext/AppleSMBIOSEFI/28-pro/AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext $KEXTDEST
	echo "AppleSMBIOSEFI-28 - Mac Pro - installed."
else
	read -p "Install AppleSMBIOEFI-28 - MacBook Air - and leave vanilla AppleSBIOS? [Y/n] " ANSWER
		sudo cp -r kext/AppleSMBIOSEFI/28-air/AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext $KEXTDEST
		echo "AppleSMBIOSEFI-28 - Macbook Air - installed."
	else
		echo "You are using vanilla AppleSMBIOS. System profiles and some applications may not work."
	fi
fi
fi

echo
read -p "Install patched AppleACPIPlatform - reboot fix? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform.kext moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp -r kext/AppleACPIPlatform/AppleACPIPlatform.kext $KEXTDEST	
echo "Patched AppleACPIPlatform - reboot fix - installed."
else
read -p "Install Psystar OpenHaltRestart and leave vanilla AppleACPIPlatform? [Y/n] " ANSWER
	sudo cp -r kext/OpenHaltRestart/OpenHaltRestart_1.0.3.kext $KEXTDEST	
	echo "Psystar OpenHaltRestart installed."
else
	echo "You did not install any reboot patch. Reboot may not work."
fi
fi

echo
read -p "Install Realtek R1000 driver version 1.8.1 - Psystar? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo cp -r kext/RealtekR1000/1.8.1/RealtekR1000.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "Realtek R1000 driver version 1.8.1 - Psystar - installed."
else
read -p "Install Realtek R1000 driver version 1.0.4 - opensource? [Y/n] " ANSWER
	sudo cp -r kext/RealtekR1000/1.0.4/RealtekR1000.kext $KEXTDEST
	echo "Realtek R1000 driver version 1.0.4 - opensource - installed."
else
	echo "You did not install any ethernet driver. Some network functions may not work."
fi
fi

echo
read -p "Install IONetworkingFamily - TimeMachine fix? [y/N] " ANSWER
if [ "$ANSWER" == "y" ] || [ "$ANSWER" == "Y" ] ; then
sudo mv /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext $VANILLA/
echo "Vanilla IONetworkingFamily moved to $VANILLA/."
sudo cp -r kext/IONetworkingFamily/IONetworkingFamily.kext $KEXTDEST
echo "IONetworkingFamily - TimeMachine fix - installed."
else
echo "You did not install Time Machine fix, you need to create an ETHER EFI string. Otherwise Time Machine may not work."
fi

echo
read -p "Generate new /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions.mkext? [Y/n] " ANSWER
sudo rm /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions.mkext
sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions/
sudo chmod -R 755 /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions/
sudo kextcache -a i386 -m /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions
echo
echo "/Volumes/$CHAMELEONDEST/Extra/Extensions.mkext regenerated. You can safely ignore the missing dependencies errors."
fi

# Repair permissions
echo
sudo diskutil repairpermissions /Volumes/$OSX86DEST/

echo
echo
echo "Installation complete."
echo "You can restart your computer now. You may need to use -x boot option if your machine doesn't start."
echo

# EOF

Sorry I should have elaborated on my previous post. My sleep works but I have to manually invoke it. It wakes from sleep as long as I push the button (so does everyone else). Does anyone have any idea how to get "auto sleep" to work? My sleep actually works without the "Shutdown fix" however I tried it anyway, nothing. I do have the other settings still selected.

Still no auto sleep. This seems to be the only thing I can't get to work so I'm 99.9% there. BTW my rig has never worked so well. Thanks LS8!

Kdawg, in first i had also some issues with auto sleep. Make sure that you have set correctly the time precedence of Screen Saver, Display turn off, Sleep. Try for example to set them with values: Screen Saver 1mins, Display 3mins, Sleep 5mins.

Auto sleep always works for me, without any configuration required. It should work for you too. What BIOS version are you using?

I have an GA-EP35-DS4. I guess the "E" stands for some sort of energy saving features, maybe that's causing the problems. I'm running their latest F5 BIOS. Or maybe it's my EFI graphics strings are causing it not to auto sleep. I'm using strings for ethernet and two graphics cards but not audio.

I could try reverting to the vanilla boot plist and see if that's causing it.

K

Just to inform that auto sleep works with some inaccuracy for the timer. For example I have set Screen Saver=3mins, Monitor Sleep= 4mins and Sleep=5mins. However, it takes about 7-8 minutes for the sleep. So, in your tests give it some more time to see if it works or not.

Also, I had some frustating issues with "Default Partition" parameter in Chameleon plist, it didn't work. I found the solution, if you have the same problem read Phase 3 of the mini tutorial I posted in the previous page.

I have an GA-EP35-DS4. I guess the "E" stands for some sort of energy saving features, maybe that's causing the problems.

I have EP45-DQ6 too, sleep works for me.

I have 4gb ram of 1066mhz, left them to 800mhz in Bios (P35-DS4 rev 2.0 bios 14c).

In my setup I have installed smbios 28 (Mac pro) from ls8 pack. However, profiler shows Unknown for cpu and 667mhz for ram. With smbios 33 from ls8 pack I get Unknown for cpu and 800 mhz for ram.

Is there any other known smbios I can use to have cpu/ram shown correctly ? Thanks!

smbios problem solved with smbios.plist form the binaries of chameleon + autoset cpu info from osx86tools

Regarding the startup time I see that it takes 26 seconds from power on to chameleon boot screen (mostly AHCI burden) and then 25 more to load OSX.

Is this 1/1 ratio (!) the case for your setups too ??

Any tips for better times?