NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

in this thread is a link to other thread with how to. you are not first. read before write.

thank you.

other thing: go buy 4GB flash disk. install tiger (takes cca 3 GB). than u can fix the iso placed on HDD. injecting kext to working install u know. (hope)

MacDrive 7 may help with that.

accept my appologies, I'd swore I came trought it all, must have been tired, but I just searched http in this topic nad eventualy found the link, I'm gonna try it now, only thing 4 gig big is my memory card in my psp, so guys, wish my luck :)

Just an update after some more testing... It seems I only get freezes on heavy PATA activity... I can't duplicate it with solely SATA activity. (I have an nForce 430.) And nothing gets logged that I see, making it hard to determine just why it's freezing. Possibly as my logs are on the PATA drive...  :D

For now, I've reverted to AppleVIAATA.kext, for stability. But, wow is it slow in comparison! I didn't notice the speed bump (even for PATA) when changing to your driver, MeDevil, but I certainly notice the loss!  :P

Again, if there's anything I can do to help debug, please let me know!

Hey lewellyn, just wanted to document that I have the same problem on a Nforce 570 (MCP 55). Things like installing software will typically freeze the machine completely (my osx is running off of a PATA). Fooling around with my SATA drive doesn't seem to feeze the machine at all, however, it has unmounted itself occasionally if I use it a lot.

Hm. I can't say I've seen unmounting… The only real problem I'm annoyed with on the SATA side is that my favored DVD burner isn't recognized. (Sometimes I can't even see it in Apple System Profiler. But usually, it's just a matter of the OS not seeing media there… I think…)

Hopefully, at some point, MeDevil's going to split the PATA and SATA drivers. As I mentioned when he first mentioned this project in another thread, separate drivers allow "mixing-and-matching" PATA and SATA drivers, so that one can get the "best" performance and stability possible.

In this case, I'd love to be able to use whatever my "stock" PATA driver was (or AppleVIAATA, if it'd not be problematic…), and this driver for my SATA drives. For most tasks, I don't care as much about "performance" as long as things aren't heinously slow. Hell, even WinXP runs decently under VMWare Fusion for me (with my crappy video using VESA even!), with AppleVIAATA. However, there's a noted speed difference with MeDevil's driver (on my VMs on an SATA drive, at least). So, I'd love to be able to use it.

But, again, I remarked before that though I'm willing to "adopt early", I'll probably have to let others risk data loss. This machine just has too many gigs of data on it. A restore would take ages. So, I'd rather not tempt fate. ^_^

If anyone has suggestions for how to make the PATA part of this driver "behave", I'd love to test them… MeDevil, what info can I give you to help diagnose this sooner?

Thanks. :):(

Hello,

I've have a problem with the .kext in Mac 10.4.6 (yeah, I know it's an old version. But I don't know how to update!).

When I put it in the Extensions folder or the IOATAFamily.kext/contents/plugins it works after a reboot (I can see all the drives). Now the problem: when I have used the disk the .kext won't start by the next reboot! When I delete the extensions.kextcache and the extensions.mkext it works the next boot. But it doesn't if I boot again.

How can I fix this!?

Thanks in advance!

Installed the Medevil Kext on 10.5.1 (Thank you Medevil)

Huge boost in HDD Speed!

one problem remians - my ATA Drive and my SATA Drive are both recognized as being under 200 Gb? Any Ideas?

also anyone know if it is possible to copy OSX from my ATA Drive to my SATA Drive?

I was thinking why nobody sends edited extensions.mkext since it's ony 13MB, it would save a lot of time and experimenting for everybody.

It should be in Zephyroth's 10.5.1 Rev 2 release which is expected shortly.

It is funny because at first PATA was the only way for me to get a system going, because of a lack of Nforce SATA drivers, and now that I have instability with my PATA drive with this driver, it is almost like when I get the Rev 2 and can install from it, I should get a cheap SATA drive and just run off of that so no PATA is involved.

Anyway I totally crashed my machine trying to fool around and use my old PATA driver and this SATA kext. I am a dumbass.

Anyway I totally crashed my machine trying to fool around and use my old PATA driver and this SATA kext. I am a dumbass.

See, I try hard to not be a dumbass…  :P  That's why, for now, I've reverted to AppleVIAATA, until MeDevil wanders back over and can shed some light on this instability. Now that I've tasted what my system's capable of, I want it!  :D

So, yeah… My advice? If you're ever experiencing stability issues with a certain kext, and you aren't prepared to deal with disastrous consequences, disable it (and revert to a known-good substitute, if possible) until the maintainer can get a chance to see if they can figure out the problem. It's worse to bork your system trying to "experiment" than to wait for the response of someone who is likely to have an idea as to the cause.

And, if anyone ever feels a need to quote that, no need to contact me. Just give some credit. :(

Hello,

I've have a problem with the .kext in Mac 10.4.6 (yeah, I know it's an old version. But I don't know how to update!).

When I put it in the Extensions folder or the IOATAFamily.kext/contents/plugins it works after a reboot (I can see all the drives). Now the problem: when I have used the disk the .kext won't start by the next reboot! When I delete the extensions.kextcache and the extensions.mkext it works the next boot. But it doesn't if I boot again.

How can I fix this!?

Thanks in advance!

Please, can somebody help!?

It should be in Zephyroth's 10.5.1 Rev 2 release which is expected shortly.

It is funny because at first PATA was the only way for me to get a system going, because of a lack of Nforce SATA drivers, and now that I have instability with my PATA drive with this driver, it is almost like when I get the Rev 2 and can install from it, I should get a cheap SATA drive and just run off of that so no PATA is involved.

best thing u can do is remove your PATA DevID controller from info.plist

Hi, MeDevil great job and thank you so much fir the sources.Here some results i got with my old Hackintosh:Results 100.67 System Info Xbench Version 1.3 System Version 10.4.9 (8P2137) Physical RAM 2048 MB Model ACPI Drive Type Maxtor 6V320F0 Disk Test 113.85 Sequential 132.14 Uncached Write 138.24 84.88 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 134.22 75.94 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 120.92 35.39 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 136.67 68.69 MB/sec [256K blocks] Random 100.00 Uncached Write 75.00 7.94 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Write 117.94 37.76 MB/sec [256K blocks] Uncached Read 93.36 0.66 MB/sec [4K blocks] Uncached Read 133.76 24.82 MB/sec [256K blocks]As i wans't shure it could be true, i just copy some file and set of filesfrom one disk to another and got these results:207 MB in 2.7 sec -> 76.6 MB/sec660 MB multiple files -> 69 MB/esc6.53 GB one file -> 65.5 MB/secas you can see your driver works and works pretty fine.Congratulation.
why could you get such a good result? especially about the part of uncached write,the difference of tiger and leopard? even Medevil himself can't get such a good one ..
Please, can somebody help!?
have you chmod and chown you kext ,, and what do you mean disk kext ..?!

best thing u can do is remove your PATA DevID controller from info.plist

I had tried that at one point, and that combined with loading my old kext back in eliminated meDevils kext and sata write functionality. So where I probably went wrong was I removed the Dev Id from the plist on Medevils kext, but when I re-installed the old kext, I never took out the SATA part on that one, so I basically did a complete revert back to the old driver for both PATA and SATA.

It would be a good experiment to try to do it right this time...

Thanks for your reply!

I have the disk repaired with disk utility. If that's not good enough, how can I chmod and chown the kext?

Thanks!

sudo su (pwd neede)

chown root:wheel (path/kext)

chmod -R 755 (path/kext)

Installed the Medevil Kext on 10.5.1 (Thank you Medevil)

Huge boost in HDD Speed!

one problem remians - my ATA Drive and my SATA Drive are both recognized as being under 200 Gb? Any Ideas?

also anyone know if it is possible to copy OSX from my ATA Drive to my SATA Drive?

carbon copy cloner

copycatX

or just use diskutil to restore partition from partition

As at least a couple others here have mentioned, I too am getting system freezes on heavy PATA activity.  The kext is awesome for SATA and its fast.  But heavy PATA activity locks things up.  I've noticed this during software installs (notably ones that are large ~1GB+) as well as DVD ripping.  In fact, it is DVD ripping (PATA drive) that got me to narrow this issue down to this kext.

The other thing I noticed that when using the kext cpu utiliziation was fairly low.  Reverting to the old kext (sorry I'll have to check - whatever the default one from the Tubgirl 10.4.10 disc) allows installs, ripping etc. to work fine, but cpu utilization (at least on one core) is pretty much maxed out.

I'm running w/ NForce 570 (Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 AMD).

Hope this helps.  Props for a great piece of software and esp. for releasing the source!!!

As at least a couple others here have mentioned, I too am getting system freezes on heavy PATA activity.  The kext is awesome for SATA and its fast.  But heavy PATA activity locks things up.  I've noticed this during software installs (notably ones that are large ~1GB+) as well as DVD ripping.  In fact, it is DVD ripping (PATA drive) that got me to narrow this issue down to this kext.

The other thing I noticed that when using the kext cpu utiliziation was fairly low.  Reverting to the old kext (sorry I'll have to check - whatever the default one from the Tubgirl 10.4.10 disc) allows installs, ripping etc. to work fine, but cpu utilization (at least on one core) is pretty much maxed out.

I'm running w/ NForce 570 (Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 AMD).

Hope this helps.  Props for a great piece of software and esp. for releasing the source!!!

That's funny, I have the exact same Mobo. Yeah, i have the same problems.

why could you get such a good result? especially about the part of uncached write,the difference of tiger and leopard? even Medevil himself can't get such a good one ..

I din't try Leo today so i cannot answer about the difference between Tiger and Leo.

Probably 2 reasons, the first is the 2 SATA Maxtor 6V320F0 16Mb cache Disks very fast,

the second i am using the perfect mobo for this driver: a8n-sli_premium (Nforce4 with good timing).

Just notice for the real test i use two different disk, one is reading and the other is writting.

I guess if you run the same test with only one disk, you will got some result with about half the speed.

I got similar results even with the first driver that MeDevil has written, and when i see

he has some doubt about the speed of his driver, i just publish my score to encourage him.

Hope this help.

That's funny, I have the exact same Mobo. Yeah, i have the same problems.

Waz Already Writen:

Go open /info.plist

Go edit under PATA - string -

0x026510DE..... and others - from this line remove your PATA controller DevID.

save, chown/chmod (means repair permitions)

reboot

after this Apple Generic PATA driver is working for you.

hope helps.

sudo su (pwd neede)

chown root:wheel (path/kext)

chmod -R 755 (path/kext)

When I have done that, the computer doesn't boot! I get "stil waiting for root device". When I delete the file it boots normally. I've the same problem when I put the file in the IOATAFamily.kext. It works only for one time if I don't chmod and chown, by the next reboot I get a extension loading error and I can't see the disks.

Hope you can help me!

When I have done that, the computer doesn't boot! I get "stil waiting for root device". When I delete the file it boots normally. I've the same problem when I put the file in the IOATAFamily.kext. It works only for one time if I don't chmod and chown, by the next reboot I get a extension loading error and I can't see the disks.

Hope you can help me!

yes it woks for first time

than you have to repair permitions.

maybe using Diskutility

or chown/chmod

must be in IOATAFamily.kext/contens/plugin/

no other place

your devids must be placed in at correct places.

Zandera - I'll give that a try tonight. Of course, if that works, I'll have fast SATA again (yay!), but most likely painfully slow PATA. But, considering that's where I'm at now, not a bad trade off. I'll post back my results of trying that.

Thanks!

AA