NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

Getting the same error ;)

Also i noticed that when it is listing the loading of the NForce driver its saying NVIDIA UNKNOWN.

I have the kext placed into my Extensions folder, now I'm not sure anymore if this is the right place to put it there?

writen minimaly many times....

IOATAFamily.kext/contens/plugins/

repair permisions, please.

check correct devid and if its supported on PAGE 1... First post in this thread.

if u thing it may be enlisted, cause its not AHCI (means driver not needed)

try kindly PM Medevil or write him a mail describing ERROR, HOW U GET THAT ERROR, KEXT VERSION U USING (DATE OF RELEASE) AND ATTACH INFO.PLIST and st like this

[ nVIDIA MCP51 - SATA Controller ]

Popis zařízení nVIDIA MCP51 - SATA Controller

Typ sběrnice PCI

Sběrnice / Zařízení / Funkce 0 / 14 / 0

ID zařízení 10DE-0266

ID subsystému 103C-30B7

did you check to make sure that the original driver doesn't exist in /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAController.kext/Contents/Plugins ?

Umm... {censored}, was I suppose to delete that one? How could I have known? :wub:

So just to be sure, should I remove the entire IOATAController.kext folder when unpacking/repacking the Extensions or just the stuff in Contents/Plugins? Want to get this exactly right.

Getting the same error :wub:

Also i noticed that when it is listing the loading of the NForce driver its saying NVIDIA UNKNOWN.

I have the kext placed into my Extensions folder, now I'm not sure anymore if this is the right place to put it there?

as post #251 said, mcp61 should be able to work. mine is NF520(mcp61 actually) works well , the only problem is

there is a iokit wait quiet() timedout warning on boot screen,which also contribute to some seconds delay.

How have you been able to get it to work then? Did you installed it with a DVD or using the partition cloning method?

were u asking me? if yea then yet it is working, the driver is flawless (i think, something about diskarb comes up and delays startup by 15seconds) but everything is running except my video card is VERY VERY finicky. if it makes a difference, im using grub to boot. did it with dvd

MeDevil

Question: Is realy needed to focus on PATA part if "generic" AppleOnboardATA detects and work with PATA?

Now quite off topic, i know.

And other:

AHCI enabler tip for AHCI "supported" nForce chipsets? Probably as new thread.

Well, the pata part is the most simple to write... i just have to modify the old AppleOnboardATA by adding timings. I'll do this mainly for leopard, since the onboardata has been removed. Also, some little modification (timings) have been modified and should improve driver perfomance (in pio mode, that is STILL used for some non-dma commands).

About AHCI... this is really a mess. Newer bsd sources says that some chipsets (starting from the mcp67 and above) are ahci, and so they are using the ahci part. However, in linux those chipset are handled by the sata_nv.c module that use the same "old" code (used for almost all chipsets), and with the "new" adma mode (wich resemble ahci in some parts).

I wish i had a ahci enabled nforce mobo to test this accurately, but unfortunately, next mobo should be a different kind of mobo (i'm switching to intel).

Getting the same error :thumbsup_anim:

If you get the "UNKNOWN" in the description string, this mean that the driver hasn't recognized your chipset as supported, so the sata fix will not be applied. If you wish, you can open up the project (from the sources) in xcode, modify the file AppleNForceATARoot.cpp by adding a line (before the line with the four zeros):

{ 0x10DEXXXX, PCI_HW_SATA,	  NV4|NVQ, "nForce MCP YY Serial ATA" },

Where XXXX are your device id and YY is the chipset number (mcp 61, 65, 67 ecc). Then just click "build" and place the kext where you want...

hey medevil thanx for the driver, just wondering if it recognizes the raid mode?

from your first page report results it looks like your hdd is in raid mode or stg?

i m asking this bcoz all 3 hdds of mine are in raid 0 mode in asus p5n32-e sli deluxe mobo with 680i chipset

thanx in advance...

The driver does actually know NOTHING about raid. So, the answer maybe: "yes" and "no". "Yes" if the chipset you're using is a true hw-raid chipset (so the driver see only a disk, the hw take care of the rest) or "no" if, like all the 99% of the onboard raid chipsets, the mobo does a sw-raid (so the driver still see different hard disk, but the driver will handle the raid). If you can, test it and report here the status...

Regards,

Domenico.

Just to repeat my question in case it was missed:

When repacking the Extensions for a new ISO, should I remove the entire IOATAController.kext folder or just the stuff in IOATAController.kext/Contents/Plugins? If no-one answers, I'll assume the latter.

Just to repeat my question in case it was missed:When repacking the Extensions for a new ISO, should I remove the entire IOATAController.kext folder or just the stuff in IOATAController.kext/Contents/Plugins? If no-one answers, I'll assume the latter.
i think u are right.
How have you been able to get it to work then? Did you installed it with a DVD or using the partition cloning method?
or me ?if yes, my answer is yes, i got the same blocking bus error before doing those plugin things.anyone know how to patch the dvd so that i don't need to copy this file again after installation?thx in adv.

Ok, I've been following this to inject the drivers: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=67713

In the folder containing the extracted contents of Extensions.mkext, IOATAController.kext is nowhere to be seen. From what I read earlier what I think you may have meant was IOATAFamily.kext instead, in which case Extensions.mkext extracted has one, but it doesn't have a Plugins folder, just Contents and then MacOS plus a couple other files. I'm gonna delete the entire folder because nothing is making sense here.

EDIT: Well that was a stupid idea, now virtually no extensions could load. No way to progress here, so I suppose I'm done.

If you get the "UNKNOWN" in the description string, this mean that the driver hasn't recognized your chipset as supported, so the sata fix will not be applied. If you wish, you can open up the project (from the sources) in xcode, modify the file AppleNForceATARoot.cpp by adding a line (before the line with the four zeros):

{ 0x10DEXXXX, PCI_HW_SATA,	  NV4|NVQ, "nForce MCP YY Serial ATA" },

Where XXXX are your device id and YY is the chipset number (mcp 61, 65, 67 ecc). Then just click "build" and place the kext where you want...

Im downloading XCode from ADC now, ill report in a hour or so, when i installed everything and tried it :wallbash:

Thnx for helping me :P

~p-J

Installation goes fine with this driver, on mcp51 sata drive. But when I boot I get good messages about 1 disk found, but after some other system messages, the system appears to load the driver again and this time I get: 0 disks found, and sata phy reset failed.

And still waiting for root.

Someone can help me?

I'm getting little progress here, I've copied my tiger installation from my USB-HDD to my SATA partition at first i couldn't get it to boot, but using the rd=disk0s3 command i was able to boot from the SATA drive.

The only problem is that I'm getting the error: IOATAController device blocking bus, does anyone know how i could get past this error?

I'm feeling I am getting closer to get OSX onto my SATA HD :D

~p-J

Could you be more specific with rd=diskX ?

I cloned my IDE-install to SATA but when booting form SATA it loads bootloader and something more but then transfers the boot process to IDE. If IDE is removed "waiting for boot device...".

How and what I need to modify in SATA-install so that it will boot only using it. (I got SATA-working alright but can't transfer install from IDE to SATA only).

Thanks.

-mcMike

The driver does actually know NOTHING about raid. So, the answer maybe: "yes" and "no". "Yes" if the chipset you're using is a true hw-raid chipset (so the driver see only a disk, the hw take care of the rest) or "no" if, like all the 99% of the onboard raid chipsets, the mobo does a sw-raid (so the driver still see different hard disk, but the driver will handle the raid). If you can, test it and report here the status...

i will test it out and see the results, but if there is not too much change in the driver's structure from previous one (the one that was supplied with toh dvd--that finds all there hdds that are in -sw-raid mode but can mount any it says when booting to gui... disk utility shows all there of them)

like i said, i will check it out and see how it will work out...

by the way i dont know anything about raid drivers but i saw one thread that there was a sis raid driver if it would help you implement the raid function into the driver...

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index....id=32&cid=3&

i hope it helps...

by the way, how did you get that score on your first page post screen shot? it looks as if it is a raid driver... :D bcoz the performance of any (except high end ones) ide/sata drive is not more than ~30MB/s and yours is like 3 times that performance, which is similar to mine... :)

i will test it out and see the results, but if there is not too much change in the driver's structure from previous one (the one that was supplied with toh dvd--that finds all there hdds that are in -sw-raid mode but can mount any it says when booting to gui... disk utility shows all there of them)

like i said, i will check it out and see how it will work out...

by the way i dont know anything about raid drivers but i saw one thread that there was a sis raid driver if it would help you implement the raid function into the driver...

http://www.siliconimage.com/support/index....id=32&cid=3&

i hope it helps...

by the way, how did you get that score on your first page post screen shot? it looks as if it is a raid driver... :) bcoz the performance of any (except high end ones) ide/sata drive is not more than ~30MB/s and yours is like 3 times that performance, which is similar to mine... :)

Nope, the sis driver can't help... The raid driver is closed source! I didn't check if this is supported under linux, but, even if it supported, it will have a completely different structure from osx...

And no, i don't have a raid solution, nor a 10K drive. The xbench results you see there are the one executed on my maxtor 200GB 7400rmp sata-2 drive... and you know what? i thought that was a crappy result, since sata drive should ipotetically handle a maximum transfer of 300MB/sec... (so i was expecting something like 150Mb/sec)

Regards,

Domenico.

Nope, the sis driver can't help... The raid driver is closed source! I didn't check if this is supported under linux, but, even if it supported, it will have a completely different structure from osx...

And no, i don't have a raid solution, nor a 10K drive. The xbench results you see there are the one executed on my maxtor 200GB 7400rmp sata-2 drive... and you know what? i thought that was a crappy result, since sata drive should ipotetically handle a maximum transfer of 300MB/sec... (so i was expecting something like 150Mb/sec)

Regards,

Domenico.

you know it won't happen MeDevil, i think the best single sata disk can only reach 80mb/s.

by the way, how did you learn all this things, you're a programmer? a bit offtopic. hee hee.

you know it won't happen MeDevil, i think the best single sata disk can only reach 80mb/s.

by the way, how did you learn all this things, you're a programmer? a bit offtopic. hee hee.

Eheh... i hope that a day my hdd start spinning crazy and reach the famous 300mb/sec :D

By the way, yes, i'm a programmer, i was 14 y.o. when i started writing code (do you know commodore 64? :( )

Chipset

NVIDIA nForce® 610M (MCP67-MV) clear.gif

is there anyone install OSX on it ????

sata could not found in my computer even VM install.

Help please.........

Can you be a little specific about the problem?

Did you try injecting the kext into the dvd?

Also, (if VM = virtual machine) then the hw is emulated, so it shouldn't be a nforce chipset the one you'll see in the virtual machine, but a compatible one (presumablly an intel one).

Regards,

Domenico.

Eheh... i hope that a day my hdd start spinning crazy and reach the famous 300mb/sec :D

By the way, yes, i'm a programmer, i was 14 y.o. when i started writing code (do you know commodore 64? :P )

you might want to set up a raid0:4 :P

i haven't born when that 'turtles" was released, haha, you own that thing?

my first computer was pentium 2 :(

MeDevil, could you please respond to my question?

"I'm in XCode now and opened up AppleNFroceATARoot.cpp, but were exactly am i supposed to put that new line? You said something about four zero's?"

Thnx :)

p-J

I thought i already told you where to insert that line... (See post 575841 in this thread).

Anyway, you should insert that line in the AppleNForceATARoot.cpp file, before the { 0, 0, 0, 0 } line (or you can modify any other line in the sata part).

you might want to set up a raid0:4 :P

i haven't born when that 'turtles" was released, haha, you own that thing?

my first computer was pentium 2 :D

Well, i think i'll remain with my "poor" 30MB/sec... I'm not that old... the c64 were used like 10 years ago... (mine is somewhere in the basement, and still works) ;)

Regards,

Domenico.

Well i tried it but still it doesn't wanna work, I don't get it why does it work when i boot up from my USB HD, is see it's being loaded as MCP61 Serial ATA and everything but when I'm using my SATA HD to boot it doesn't wanna recognize it...

Are you sure there is no other (older) version of the kext? remove the kext from in /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and the one (if present) in the /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily/Contents/PlugIns/

Then (just to be sure) download the kext again and install it on the sata hd. If still doesn't work... well i don't know how to help... (maybe you can wait for a ppf to be released).

Regards,

Domenico.