NForce SATA Controller

MeDevil

757 posts in this topic

Big thanks to MeDevil as I've finally got my Abit AN-MDHD mobo equiped PC up and running on its Native SATA drives thanks to his latest drivers :D

I have had OSX running previously in VMware and on a PATA disk (which doesn't fit my mATX case) but of course had no access to my data which is all on Sata ntfs drives.

For those with a similar chipset to mine (NF630a) here's a synopse of what I did to get it dual booting with my Vista

1) In Vista performed the registry hack to enable ACHI support as I'd installed Vista with the SATA controller in IDE mode

2) Rebooted, let Vista take ages to find the correct ACHI drivers for my mobo/disks, then rebooted.......ran a quick HD Performance Test and ACHI actually does seem a touch quicker anyway

3) Made 20GB free HD space on first HD (both are 500GB WD Sata's), performed the diskpart preperation techniques

4) using Transmac, copied MeDevils AppleNForceATA.kext to the correct folder on a 10.5.1 dmg/iso, renamed as .iso and burned in Nero

5) Rebooted and install went pretty well, although I do have to use the -x switch

6) My ATI HD2600XT is now working thanks to someone elses drivers...forgot the developer of these but thanks.....just need to sort out why I have to use the analogue convertor and cable rather than DVI in order to see anything

7) Networking now working thanks to a very old Realtek 8139 PCI card which almost worked out of the box but was slow....turning it down to forced 10mb fixed this

8) About to start work on getting my Realtek HDA working...I think its ALC888 but not sure yet

9) Firefox installed....can't do without at least something I'm used to from Windows :P

** The key for me getting these drivers working on my nforce 630a chipset was switching the bios to ACHI mode rather than IDE with the preliminary work to get Vista happy with this setup **

Thanks again

/must remember to Ghost the partition now just in case i feck it up with my messing :)

Update - zandera was correct - removing my devid from the PATA section of the Info.plist did allow both SATA w/ this kext and PATA to work using the generic PATA kext.

However, I did have the machine freeze up when I attempted to open a SATA drive ~1 hour after booting and ripping a dvd to the PATA. The log appears empty - I'm not seeing anything indicative of the failure.

Anyways, thanks zandera for the info - this might do me just fine as the SATA drives are just for storage on this box, but we'll see.

Update - zandera was correct - removing my devid from the PATA section of the Info.plist did allow both SATA w/ this kext and PATA to work using the generic PATA kext.

However, I did have the machine freeze up when I attempted to open a SATA drive ~1 hour after booting and ripping a dvd to the PATA. The log appears empty - I'm not seeing anything indicative of the failure.

Anyways, thanks zandera for the info - this might do me just fine as the SATA drives are just for storage on this box, but we'll see.

I'm going to do the same thing. Let me know how it works for you as you continue to use it.

I din't try Leo today so i cannot answer about the difference between Tiger and Leo.

Probably 2 reasons, the first is the 2 SATA Maxtor 6V320F0 16Mb cache Disks very fast,

the second i am using the perfect mobo for this driver: a8n-sli_premium (Nforce4 with good timing).

Just notice for the real test i use two different disk, one is reading and the other is writting.

I guess if you run the same test with only one disk, you will got some result with about half the speed.

I got similar results even with the first driver that MeDevil has written, and when i see

he has some doubt about the speed of his driver, i just publish my score to encourage him.

Hope this help.

i understand the first one,

but what about the second one, what do you mean using two hardisk for one test result?

i think that's sound like dual channel :P

how could you accomplish that?

so i am running leopard on my PATA drive and trying to copy it to my SATA drive now that i can read/write on it.

i have tried both diskutil and carboncopy and when boot to my sata drive it hangs with a blinking cursor ( _ )

i chose the make bootable option from carbon copy but am i missing something?

SIDE NOTE: if anyone is using a PATA drive and 4Gb Ram and getting freezes, try removing 1Gb Ram ( worked for me )

EDIT: fixed my blinking cursor problem! i downloaded gparted and set drive to boot. (thanks spylinuxp4)

but now i am stuck with "IOATAController device blocking bus" error

I'm using nforce5 chipset...

DEV ID: 037f

When using an unmodifed iso (Zephayroth) I can load instaler, but Diskutil hangs during partition/format ...

-I injected the kext into the dvd iso (unmodifed Info.plist with all dev id's)

-I injected the kext into the dvd iso (modified Info.plist with only my dev id)

Both generate waiting for root device error/hangs

I am using abit kn9 sli nforce 590 chipset

My dev id is listed as supported. Any ideas????

i understand the first one,

but what about the second one, what do you mean using two hardisk for one test result?

i think that's sound like dual channel :angel:

how could you accomplish that?

When you test speed tranfert by copying file from disk to the same disk,

system have first to read data and second time to write data and you don't

get the real sustain speed of your hardware and driver.

When you copy file from one physical hard disk to another different physical

hard disk you get as real sustain speed the lowest speed of reading or writing

operation and of course writting is slower, so the result could be considered

as the real sustain transfert speed.

I did that because nobody really knows the way XBench compute it's results,

i suppose it only read and write from buffers, but not shure.

hope this clarify my fist explaination, sorry English isn't my native language

i try to do my best.

Hi, i have used this file, and my sata ii, 500 gb hard disk now can boot!, but only the first time, when i shut down, os x, and then try to reboot on this, then i get the dreaded slashed circle!, then using the verbose option of the darwin kernel, i get the "still waiting for root device" message, i have maded my hard disk to boot in mac os again, but i need to boot from an ide hard disk and replace again the AppleNforce.kext file, what i am doing wrong?. i have disable the automatic upgraded but still i get the same problem. :)

Thanks for the work on the driver!

Hi, i have used this file, and my sata ii, 500 gb hard disk now can boot!, but only the first time, when i shut down, os x, and then try to reboot on this, then i get the dreaded slashed circle!, then using the verbose option of the darwin kernel, i get the "still waiting for root device" message, i have maded my hard disk to boot in mac os again, but i need to boot from an ide hard disk and replace again the AppleNforce.kext file, what i am doing wrong?. i have disable the automatic upgraded but still i get the same problem. :P

Thanks for the work on the driver!

PLEASE READ

PLACE MEDEVILS KEXT TO IOATAFamily/contens/plugins

REBOOT

FIX DISK PERMITIONS (DISK UTILITY, REPAIR PERMITIONS)

IF BOOTED, AND YOU FORGET TO FIX PERMS AND REBOOTED AFTER THAN GETING

still waiting for root device

BOOT, PRESS F8, USE FLAG -x

IT COME TO LOAD ALL THE KEXTs INSTEAD OF VIDEO (VIDEO WILL BE 1024x768 - AFTER REBOOT GETS BACK)

Any suggestions for my problem?

Using Zeph DVD I can see disks but can't format/partition

Using Zeph DVD w/ Medevil's kexts injected, recieve 'Waiting on root device' and drives are *not* detected (DVD, or HDD)

Dev ID is listed already on Info.plist (/System/Library/Extensions.mkext Generated using mkextunpack & kextcache)

Deleted kext from /System/Library/Extensions/IOATA.Family/Contents/Plugins

when you say remove your PATA controller DevID do you mean remove all the numbers from the PCIPRIMARYMATCH string? Im not sure exactly what you mean, can explain more please... Im getting constant lock ups, particularly when i use my firewire sound card... Trying to sort it out right now...

thanks!

when you say remove your PATA controller DevID do you mean remove all the numbers from the PCIPRIMARYMATCH string? Im not sure exactly what you mean, can explain more please... Im getting constant lock ups, particularly when i use my firewire sound card... Trying to sort it out right now...

thanks!

Remove YOUR DevID. Each entry is a hex string 0x037e10de for example....

Remove the entire string of numbers that matches your ID, leave the others

After using the box over the weekend (and I'm using Medevil's SATA with the generic kext for PATA as detailed a few posts back), still have system stability issues. Notably, I'll get system freeze-ups when I attempt to access a drive (ANY drive PATA, DVD, SATA) after the initial boot. So when first boot, everything is fine. If I wait some time and I attempt to access a drive, it will freeze. The other variation I've gotten is with the DVD drive - I attempt to access and although the system doesn't freeze, I get the beach ball forever in Finder.

I was not getting these w/ Medevil's kext not loaded. I'm sure my PATA devid is not in the kext.

I will try to do some more rigorous testing w/ the Medevil kext not loaded, but this is what I'm seeing. And when this happens, the log is empty :-(

Again, thanks for the work on this driver. It's entirely possible the Nforce 570/MCP55 is a different enough beast to cause these issues for me.

After using the box over the weekend (and I'm using Medevil's SATA with the generic kext for PATA as detailed a few posts back), still have system stability issues. Notably, I'll get system freeze-ups when I attempt to access a drive (ANY drive PATA, DVD, SATA) after the initial boot. So when first boot, everything is fine. If I wait some time and I attempt to access a drive, it will freeze. The other variation I've gotten is with the DVD drive - I attempt to access and although the system doesn't freeze, I get the beach ball forever in Finder.

I was not getting these w/ Medevil's kext not loaded. I'm sure my PATA devid is not in the kext.

I will try to do some more rigorous testing w/ the Medevil kext not loaded, but this is what I'm seeing. And when this happens, the log is empty :-(

Again, thanks for the work on this driver. It's entirely possible the Nforce 570/MCP55 is a different enough beast to cause these issues for me.

That's weird man, mine is pretty good. The test for me was basically installing a ton of software onto the drive which used to freeze it up, especially when mounting installs from the SATA drive. Did you definately chown and chmod after you removed the PATA strings? Also I just killed all of the IDs in the plist, rather than just erase mine.

You're seeing similar issues as I reported before... I'm on an nForce 430/MCP 51, so it's doubtful that your MCP 55 is unique here... I ended up simply disabling MeDevil's driver for now. :( I maybe could live with the SATA being a bit buggy still... But the horrible stability issues on PATA, as well, is sad.

Also, I had to physically disconnect power for a few moments, else I'd still get freezes on heavy disk activity. I suspect the driver's setting a bit it ought not be touching, or something similar that doesn't get reset at controller reset (e.g. at POST).

*sigh* I wish I had the disposable income for a real Mac... :(

I'll try ripping out all the PATA devids and re-verify the chown/chmod stuff. Its weird. It's almost like once the drive goes to sleep (which I have that option turned off incidentally in System Preferences), good luck trying to get it back online.

For me it was a combination of installing software and dvd ripping, but now, 100% of the time, if I boot up, and don't touch a drive for some time (e.g. turn the box on in the morning and leave it until I get home for work), if I toouch the SATA or dvd, it'll freeze. The boot drive (PATA) seems to not be affected - I'm assuming there are things always happening there like caching, etc.

Anyways, I'll report back after some playing around some more. Honestly, the box is rocking solid save for the drive issues!!!! Argh!

You're seeing similar issues as I reported before... I'm on an nForce 430/MCP 51, so it's doubtful that your MCP 55 is unique here... I ended up simply disabling MeDevil's driver for now. :( I maybe could live with the SATA being a bit buggy still... But the horrible stability issues on PATA, as well, is sad.

Also, I had to physically disconnect power for a few moments, else I'd still get freezes on heavy disk activity. I suspect the driver's setting a bit it ought not be touching, or something similar that doesn't get reset at controller reset (e.g. at POST).

*sigh* I wish I had the disposable income for a real Mac... :(

have same chipset (MCP51), and it works without any SATA/PATA problem.

i have it in notebook. version 1.0.3 latest.

placed at

system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/contens/plugins

worx for tiger and leopard also.

and power save is ACPIPlatform dependent problem

Hi Guys,

I'm getting a similar problem mentioned above. (SATA locking up when under heavy load)

I have an MCP61 (0x03f610de) (Asus M2N8-VMX) and I have removed the AppleNForceATA from the IOATAFamily kext plugins folder and I'm using medevils kext. Everything loads up fine, no errors on boot. Finds both my drives no problem. Disk speed is fantastic but after copying about 2GB of data from one SATA disk to another, the machine locks. No error no nothing.

Sys Spec.

AMD 5000+ X2

Asus M2N8-VMX mainboard

4GB RAM

nVidia 8400 GS 512MB

120GB HD IDE (Mac OS installed disk)

500GB SATA (Torrent drive)

250GB (Linux drive)

Hope this helps in some way.

Jay.

When you test speed tranfert by copying file from disk to the same disk,

system have first to read data and second time to write data and you don't

get the real sustain speed of your hardware and driver.

When you copy file from one physical hard disk to another different physical

hard disk you get as real sustain speed the lowest speed of reading or writing

operation and of course writting is slower, so the result could be considered

as the real sustain transfert speed.

I did that because nobody really knows the way XBench compute it's results,

i suppose it only read and write from buffers, but not shure.

hope this clarify my fist explaination, sorry English isn't my native language

i try to do my best.

yes, okay.

i understand now, i just wonder why i couldn't get the conherent result

when i just do the same, anyway, i won't be bothered.

English is not my native lang. either, by the way, i can guess you aren't

cus you make a lot of typo lol

thanks, Tommy

So zandera, do you have the kext only in the system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/contens/plugins location and not just within the Extnesions folder? I cleaned the one that was in there out and am using it only in teh Extensions folder...I know its loading, but curious if this makes things any better...

I've ensured the disks don't go to sleep and other than the screen blanking, I'm not using an ACPI stuff (at least I don't think so!!!).

yes, okay.

i understand now, i just wonder why i couldn't get the conherent result

when i just do the same, anyway, i won't be bothered.

English is not my native lang. either, by the way, i can guess you aren't

cus you make a lot of typo lol

thanks, Tommy

You should get approximately similar results with both methods.

Instead if one of the two disk is practically full, the validity of

results is compromise (fragmentation needs multiple access

even for a small file).

I just read again my last answer and i agree it's really a lot of typo,

sometimes prepositions are missing, that horrible.

I hate to ask this, but I can't figure out how to determine the DevID's for my various hard-drives/SATA-interfaces/etc. I've tried searching the boards but it seems like these terms are too generic :D

EDIT* I've found my DevID's (its back on page 3 where to find them). FYI MSI P6N Platinum's are devID's 0x266 and 0x267.

The other thing I cannot figure out is whether I need to put the NForceATA kext directly into /System/Library/Extensions or should I putting it into this IOExtensionds directory?

At the moment, I've removed my NForceVIAATA kext, and I can MOUNT my old 500gb SATA drive for read, but I cannot write to it, nor can I repartition it using the DiskUtil GUI ("IO Error").

Can anyone give me a few poiinters?

armentage - I have the kext in the /System/Library/Extensions folder - and I see my SATA drives, etc.; however, as you can see from my posts above, I am having issues. I can't determine if moving the kext to the IOATAFamily.kext/contents/plugins folder would have any difference.