How do you say the "X" in OS X?

How do you say the "X" in OS X?  

1,860 members have voted

1. 1. How do you say the "X" in OS X?

• X...as in the letter.
    • 10...as in the number.

300 posts in this topic

I say Oh-Ess-Ten if i'm talking about the OS itself. However, when talking about the OSX86 project, I call is Oh-Ess-Ex-Eighty-Six; because Oh-Ess-Ten-Eighty-Six sounds stupid to me for some reason.

I mean i hardly ever call it os 10, i generally say Mac OS Leopard.

You know, that's the most sensible answer here. Windows users don't call XP "Windows NT 5.1/5.2", we call it XP. And i've never heard of Vista being referred to as "Windows NT 6.0". So Mac OS Leopard (or Tiger, Jaguar, Puma, etc) actually does make much more sense.

• 1 month later...
Although it may sound cooler to you, its just too close to XP... which as we all know, is horrific :wacko: oh wait, maybe thats vista...

Steve Jobs says it as 10, most of Apple says it as 10, i say it as 10.

Saying it as the Letter "X" is a ...

Think Mark

Lets make this into an OS Battle. XP & Vista are good operating systems. I'm sorry! I have had 0 problems with vista, no driver problems I couldn't fix with a google or any of that sort with windows. But everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

By the way I pronounce it the way its written with an "EX". I know the real way is ten but I really don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

I say Mac OS eX. Apple and Steve Jobs want you to pronounce it as "ten", meaning that it is the successor to OS9. Of course that's ridiculous. Back in the 90s OS9 was dying. OSX was a totally different beast that ultimately saved Apple (along with iPod). Regardless, "X" not only marks the spot or implies Sex, it also means Unix, which always has been a larger-than-life thing in computer literature. Unix had also met tremendous popularity back then in the 90s, thanks to Linux. Just as JSomething corresponds to Java, X is synonymous to Unix. Apple's remarkable transition from old-dog OS Classic to OSX was all about Unix. Apple themselves acknowledged that and marketed it as such. Nowdays, they might want to distinguish themselves from that but it is what it is. That's why you get OSX 10.3, OSX 10.5, OSX 10.6 etc even though you should get by now something like OS XI. You don't really want to have an OS called OS "eleven", do you ?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I say O-S-Ex, only because of habit. I know that it is actually Roman numeral 10, but because it's the first thing I heard, and because it sounds cooler, I say Ex. However, Apple itself seems to also be in a similar debate, as in the Genius Bar (I had to go their once because of a defective Time Capsule) they refer to it as Ex, and on some of their video tutorials, they refer to it as Ex, but Steve Jobs refers to it as 10.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
called it X , also didnt knew that X = 10.

If someone asked Me for version , I called it OSX 10.5 :D

or just Leopard

I've always said OS X since I come from the Windows side. Now that I know the X represents the 10th version of their OS it clears things up but I don't see the versions listed as OS X.7. From a marketing standpoint, the X symbol makes it look "cooler." That's why you see all these ATI Radeon X... cards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I used to say OS "X" but then after I got a Mac for myself I somehow started saying OS "10" I now find it odd when other people refer to it as OS "X"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I originally thought it´s name really were OS "ex", because i only read about on the inet, and i´m am PC-Guy. Later when joining this forum and making my first hackintoshing attempts, i found out about the x being a roman letter standing for 10, still saying eX, got used to it. And i´m not willing to give up habits in order to be correct when it´s about the name for a OS :unsure: and apple, imho, doesn´t care either

• 3 weeks later...

I say OS 10. It took me a while to get used to it.

But how about OSx86 then? Should we say "OS ten eightysix"?

That would kinda ruin the play on x86 architecture ans OS X.

Same with "OSx86 Tools".

:(

• 1 month later...