iATKOS is released (updated)

pkmoazzam

295 posts in this topic

ppl saying usenet would be better. think geniuses he would have to upload it there as well. it wouldnt just teleport to usenet, he probably just has slow upload speeds and that why everyone is at the same percentage. it is only going to spread as fast as the initial seeder. just wait, once 1 person completes is and more people get it then it will go faster.

Well, genius, do you really need this spelled out? It doesn't matter what his upload speed is, usenet will be faster.

What is faster, sending something to one place at full bandwidth? Or sending something to 2000 places at 1/2000th the bandwidth?

If it were on usenet, a million people could grab it at the same time because it is not P2P.

I second that. Usenet is f'n GREAT for downloading. Its full stream and no uploads.

Usenexts record is 700 megs in 34 seconds. - personally I range around 10000k/sec sustained. Thats 7 gigs in an hour and a half.

Well, genius, do you really need this spelled out? It doesn't matter what his upload speed is, usenet will be faster.

What is faster, sending something to one place at full bandwidth? Or sending something to 2000 places at 1/2000th the bandwidth?

If it were on usenet, a million people could grab it at the same time because it is not P2P.

i stopped my torrent. i'm stuck at 34% like the rest and uploaded 20 gb.

i'm out. i'll wait till its either or the newsgroups or a proper working torrent.

i want newsgroups so i can download it properly on my 20 meg line.

If it's a sequential-like release it's obviously being drip feed at a pretty horrifically slow rate.

I understand the determination to get this thing out there, but why must folks force p2p to behave in a way it's not really designed to act in.

It doesnt matter where uphuck uploaded this release, we are being limited by his upload speed, which would be just as slow if her were to upload it to usenet. Well just as slow to completely upload it, but ill agree that once it was on there it would probably be quick.

Wow its gonna be funny when our downloads are near completion and the torrent goes from 4 seeds to 3000 within a couple mins.

You know, if they would have just done this normally they'd have had a lot more success.

Yes you'll get some hit and runs, but by and large the majority of people stick around and seed. Who cares about the hit and runs, anyways?

Even if only 10% of the people hung around, that's 400 seeds. Plenty to insure future distribution. That's why normal torrents work in the first place, after all. Thousands of people are suffering a horrendous download process to solve an imaginary problem.

You know, after sitting through this I wouldn't be surprised if all 4000 people quit the torrent when it was finished. ^_^

well i think were all a little too excited. In reality we have over 3000 leachers which will become seeders in a couple days, due to the manor uphuck is distributing the torrent, and at that point iatkos 1.0 will be the one of the fastest torrents on the web. So within two days people will be praising the download speeds.

well i think were all a little too excited. In reality we have over 3000 leachers which will become seeders in a couple days, due to the manor uphuck is distributing the torrent, and at that point iatkos 1.0 will be the one of the fastest torrents on the web. So within two days people will be praising the download speeds.

fair enough, but consider that due to frustration it's possible that many will immediately dump the torrent because;

A ) They've probably already done their part. For instance, before I quit the torrent I had already shared 3x what I downloaded

or

B ) They'll quit because they've been downloading for days and still have not completed the torrent.

Also consider that this torrent is only populating the data at roughly 20% every 24 hours. That still leaves roughly 3 days before any leechers become seeds.

So if like me you started yesterday, that means that you'll spend 4 to 5 days to aquire a relatively small amount of data. And once those 5 days are up, I see a lot of people dumping the torrent for the reasons above.

Again, what was wrong with distributing a normal torrent? It's worked successfully for years for thousands of other distributions.

fair enough, but consider that due to frustration it's possible that many will immediately dump the torrent because;

A ) They've probably already done their part. For instance, before I quit the torrent I had already shared 3x what I downloaded

or

B ) They'll quit because they've been downloading for days and still have not completed the torrent.

Also consider that this torrent is only populating the data at roughly 20% every 24 hours. That still leaves roughly 3 days before any leechers become seeds.

So if like me you started yesterday, that means that you'll spend 4 to 5 days to aquire a relatively small amount of data. And once those 5 days are up, I see a lot of people dumping the torrent for the reasons above.

Again, what was wrong with distributing a normal torrent? It's worked successfully for years for thousands of other distributions.

Well, distributing it this way kinda knocks point A out of the water, since in about three days most of the 3000 leechers will be seeders, in fact 2500 can stop seeding and it wouldnt really be an issue. Point B is also also a little iffy because every day we get at-least another 500 lechers and the completion average is about 45 percent, which is great since ive been downloading since day 1 and im at 49.5 precent.

Look on the bright side. I"m tHankful to have 49.9% of the long awaited IATKOS release. Better than 0% of it LOL!.

Rest assured folks, I'm downloading mine on a separate PC that I plan to leave up and SEEDING when I burn my copy and run off to install it on another test box.

I figure the majority of people would do that..

48% here but now it sez tracker could not be reached... lol, this decision is a bit wierd and unfair to early leechers, popularity determines the livelyhood of torrents and this is definately popular. dunno i might close out soon

lol now i can completely agree with that, in reality not all the leeches dont need to be constantly, because catching up after 8 hours of down time (aka when i seep) takes about like 5 mins. So their is no need to keep your computer on 24/7 and kill energy.

P.s i say kill energy because i have an 850 watt power supply lol.